Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,007 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech (1218 Views)

No Law Says FEC Meeting Must Be Held Every Week – Femi Adesina / Buhari Dissociates Self From Social Media Bill. / Buhari Dissociates Himself From Campaign Promises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by LocalChamp: 6:03pm On Dec 07, 2015
Buhari dissociates self from media muzzle law, says, ‘I’m committed to free speech’
December 7, 2015 Press Release

The Nigerian Presidency has issued the statement below, quoting President Muhammadu Buhari as dissociating himself as his administration from the media muzzle law being cooked by the Nigerian Senate.
Read full statement below:
SOCIAL MEDIA BILL: BUHARI RESTATES COMMITMENT TO FREE SPEECH.
President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated the commitment of his administration to the protection of free speech in keeping with democratic tradition.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu who was reacting to the public hostility towards the social media bill now being debated by the Senate, said President Buhari has sworn to defend the constitution of Nigeria and would not lend his hand to anything that is inconsistent with the constitution.
“But he is not averse to lawful regulation, so long as that is done within the ambit of the constitution which he swore to uphold.”
“The President said free speech is central to democratic societies anywhere in the world. The President explained that without free speech, elected representatives won’t be able to gauge public feelings and moods about governance issues.
“As a key component of democratic principles,” the President acknowledged that people in democratic societies “are so emotionally attached to free speech that they would defend it with all their might.”
“Malam Garba Shehu explained that President Buhari is fully aware of the public reservations about the proposed legislation but assured that there is no cause for alarm “because the Senate is a democratic senate. The President won’t assent to any legislation that may be inconsistent with the constitution of Nigeria.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/194780-buhari-dissociates-self-from-media-muzzle-law-says-im-committed-to-free-speech.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by Mynd44: 6:20pm On Dec 07, 2015
Veto powers…
That's if it goes through the House of Tips though.
And if the president and House of Reps disappoints, we all go to the Supreme court

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by phlemzy: 6:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
Its a bulk of those bribe seeking thieves in the legislative arm that are really against freedom of Information. Dino Melaye & his gang are strongly pushing for the bill to be passed cos of their shady deeds. I just wonder why some will be stating that they are back to one Decree 1984.
But the rate Oga Mynd take dey close thread ehn...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by seunmsg(m): 6:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
Bad news for Senators Saraki, Na'Allah and Dino Melaye. Their attempt to gag Nigerians from freely expressing themselves on social media is dead on arrival. Kudos to PMB for standing with the Nigerian people. Freedom of speech is a fundamental right that cannot be curtailed in a democracy.

Shame on Saraki, Dino Melaye and all other senators who are sponsoring the bill, Sahara reporters and other credible social media platforms will continue to expose their thieving secrets.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by ziccoit: 6:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
Gbam, my president has spoken. SINators headed by Sinraki can go and hang themselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 07, 2015
Good news
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by obailala(m): 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2015
...And some zombies had already concluded and were already authoritatively spreading the silly rumour amongst their ilk on IgbereTv, hopeforNigeria, trentonline, radioBiafra etc. that it was Buhari who originated the bill in order to resurrect dictatorship. angry
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by biafranqueen: 6:53pm On Dec 07, 2015
hummm so why is Kanu in jail?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by Herald47: 6:58pm On Dec 07, 2015
He better not tamper with the freedom of speech act because it's one of the legacy the previous administration left for us.
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by OLADD: 7:08pm On Dec 07, 2015
A chameleon, indecisive and ambiguous statement. In one vein the govt "is not averse to legal legislation" and in another, they "won't muzzle free speech" While trying to curry public acceptance by dissociating itself from the Senate decision, the govt is also carefully embarking on subtle and tactical support through any legal legislation made by the same Legislature. Buhari and his aids have really mastered the act of tricking gullible citizens.
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by chimerase2: 7:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
embarassed
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by jauntty: 7:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
[size=16pt] This is good leadership, atleast he listened to the people and our protest on #NoToSocialMediaBill

I know the Children of hate will still find fault in this laudable intention of promoting media freedom by @MBuhari [/size]
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by seunmsg(m): 7:55pm On Dec 07, 2015
biafranqueen:

What concerns Kanu with social media bill? Kanu is being held for treason and sedition, his detention has nothing to do with Saraki and Melaye's attempt to gag Nigerians from talking on social media.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by dahaz(m): 7:59pm On Dec 07, 2015
If not for president buharis commitment to free speech,people like hinwazaka,freeglobe and mogidi could have been in jail by now.
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by dustydee: 8:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
biafranqueen:
Because free speech does not guarantee freedom. In Nnamdi's case, he committed a crime against Nigeria by calling for violence and murder of innocent people.
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by hinwazaka: 8:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
dahaz:
If not for president buharis commitment to free speech,people like hinwazaka,freeglobe and mogidi could have been in jail by now.
The Social media bill is not against free speech, but rather, it's against the abuse of free speech, propaganda and incessant dissemination of false information. The President, intends to stop the bill, because its political attack dogs will be mouthguarded by it. But don't worry, we have a contingency plan for this scenario. Be prepared to trek from Berger to Apapa

1 Like

Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by hinwazaka: 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2015
dustydee:

Because free speech does not guarantee freedom. In Nnamdi's case, he committed a crime against Nigeria by calling for violence and murder of innocent people.
No, he is in jail, because the ruling party put him there so as to cause violence and social disorder in the SE. It is a spinoff from the fools who claimed Boko Haram, was created by the PDP, to neutralise and docile the defunct CPC states.
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by Bevista: 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
“Malam Garba Shehu explained that President Buhari is fully aware of the public reservations about the proposed legislation but assured that there is no cause for alarm “because the Senate is a democratic senate. The President won’t assent to any legislation that may be inconsistent with the constitution of Nigeria.”
Simply Presidential.

Those afraid of Social Media are those who have skeletons in their cupboard. Even PDP and IPOB know that PMB has nothing to hide, but of course they have to always blame him for everything, even when their wives refuse to conjugate with them.
Re: Buhari Dissociates From Media Muzzle Law, Says, ‘I’m Committed To Free Speech by TimeManager(m): 8:49pm On Dec 07, 2015
PMB Take A Bow And Go! You Are Too Smart To Get Caught In Their Trap .I Slightly Disagree In Context With Garba Sheu, The Proposed Bill Is Very Consistent With The Constitution. The Consitution Frowns At Frivolous Allegations, Slander, Libel etc. However, Free Speech Is Non Negotiable. If You Have A Quibble About That, Then Go To Court.Cases In Point, Tinubu Vs Ait, Lai Vs Olisa Metuh, Amaechi Vs Wike, Go To Court, Go Make Some Money.
No Lie Only Truth!

(1) (Reply)

Caption These Lovely Photos Of President Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala & Sanusi. / Things You Don't Know About The Jagaban (bola Ahmed Tinubu) / IBB Speach After He Overthrew Gen Buhari In 1985

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.