Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo (118684 Views)

Whats The Arabic Inscription On Our Army's Logo?? PHOTO / The Real Meaning Of The Nigerian Army Logo & How The Arabic Script Got There / On Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by rallymento(m): 5:35pm On Dec 13, 2015
tk4rd:
In Nigeria, we are more divided than we are united.. The division is so much affecting us everyday.
I blame those who amalgamated us in 1900! They were wicked and selfish... Fvck the Britons!!!

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by omojeesu(m): 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2015
selfemployed:

why not write it igbo, or yoruba language? does the nigerian army belong to arabs?

Ihejirika, johnathan and obasanjo were there and could not corect all these rubbish
is it buhari and elrufai that will correct it?

Those guys were there for themselves and their own, not for you and I!
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by M16: 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2015
nwaanambra1:

you are economical with the truth!

THAT INSCRIPTION TRANSLATES TO "ONLY ALMIGHTY ALLAH CAN GRANT VICTORY - ONLY ALLAH!"

LIKE THE OP. MY QUESTION IS - IS ARABIC PART OF OUR LINGUAL FRANCA? undecided undecided

WHY NOT WRITE IT IN ENGLI

THIS IS WHY I SOMETIME WONDER IF THIS COUNTRY WAS REALLY MEANT FOR ALL OF US! undecided

FEW DAYS AGO ONE MOFUKA PUBLISHED LIST OF CIVIL SERVANTS BY STATES BUT FAILED TO ALSO GIVE US LIST OF OUR MILITARY, PARAMILITARY AND OTHER SERVICES PERSONNEL BY STATES OF ORIGIN!

HIPOCRISY!!

The op is correct. "it means victory from God only. Allah means God in arabic
For your information majority of people from Northern Nigeria learn to write and read in arabic. As someone mentioned we have latin inscription and insignia's all over, does not mean these people speak latin
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by omojeesu(m): 5:54pm On Dec 13, 2015
sweetgala:
It is one of the languages we speak. On many of the insignia worldwide the Latin language is used even when none of them speak Latin and never did as a nation.

Clever, but not REALISTIC answer!

While using Latin or Greek in logos may have no hidden agenda, our Arabic inscriptions are suspect because of our lopsided ethnic, regional and religious experience in the country TILL DATE!

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Free101(m): 5:55pm On Dec 13, 2015
opey25:
Latin universal language? I guess u are joking.the best solution is to remove all foreign languages from our national emblems,federal institutions and law courts.if you think Arabic letters promotes islam,we muslims also think Latin promotes the roman catholic church(christianity).
That's why "Nigeria" was never a good idea. The country can never favour everybody.
An mind you, I never thought Latin was a "Christian" language. Sha what do I know
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by omojeesu(m): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2015
M16:

The op is correct. "it means victory from God only. Allah means God in arabic
For your information majority of people from Northern Nigeria learn to write and read in arabic. As someone mentioned we have latin inscription and insignia's all over, does not mean these people speak latin

While using Latin or Greek in logos may have no hidden agenda, our Arabic inscriptions are suspect because of our lopsided ethnic, regional and religious experience in the country TILL DATE!
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by omojeesu(m): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2015
2dillu2:
why must you wail over everything sad angry
By the way @op the transliteration is NASRUNMINALLAH
Which means victory is from Allah alone
Is Allah recognised by ALL NIGERIANS as God?
No!
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by opey25(m): 6:11pm On Dec 13, 2015
omojeesu:

Is Allah recognised by ALL NIGERIANS as God?

No!
that means we need to remove the snake and cross as the medical profession logo.it was directly lifted from the bible.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by omojeesu(m): 6:24pm On Dec 13, 2015
opey25:
that means we need to remove the snake and cross as the medical profession logo.it was directly lifted from the bible.

No they are not from the Bible, but Greek mythology. It is the staff of Asclepius.

Please, Islam and Arabism and Sunni global agenda are not hidden.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by sweetgala(m): 6:25pm On Dec 13, 2015
omojeesu:

Your delusion that there is some sort of religious or ethnic friction is in your mind. You yourself have affirmed the relativity of a historically aligned language and text to the Nigerian entity.

We are not divided, Only a foolish man dreams that he has more in common with a white or tan man because of a religion introduced as a means of exploitation.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by opey25(m): 6:29pm On Dec 13, 2015
omojeesu:

No they are not from the Bible, but Greek mythology. It is the staff of Asclepius.

Please, Islam and Arabism and Sunni global agenda are not hidden.

the agenda of imperialists, zionists and the new world order are also not hidden
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Wallie(m): 6:41pm On Dec 13, 2015
What the army is doing is not unique to Nigeria alone but does beg the question why we didn’t go with Latin as did the British and the Americans. Maybe it is a way of breaking away from our colonial masters and showing independence!

United States Coast Guard: "Semper Paratus" (English: Always Prepared)
United States Navy:"Non sibi sed patriae" (English: Not Self, but Country)
United States Marine Corps: "Semper Fidelis" (English: Always Faithful)
United States Coast Guard Maritime Security Response Team: "Nox Noctis est Nostri" (English: The Night is Ours)
United States Army Rangers: "Sua Sponte" (English: Of their own accord)
United States Army Special Forces (Green Berets): "De Opresso Liber" (English: To Liberate the Oppressed)

Australian Army
1st Armoured Regiment: Paratus (Latin for "prepared"wink
2nd Commando Regiment: Foras admonitio (Latin for "without warning"wink
Royal Australian Artillery: Quo fas et gloria ducunt (Latin for "whither duty and glory lead"wink
Royal Australian Engineers: Ubique (Latin for "everywhere"wink and honi soit qui mal y pense (Old French for "evil be to him who evil thinks"wink
Special Operations Engineer Regiment: Inter hastas et hostes (Latin for "between spears and enemies"wink

Canadian Army: Vigilamus pro te (Latin for "we stand on guard for thee"wink
Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group: Semper vigilans (Latin for "always vigilant"wink
Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group: Audacia et fortitudo (Latin for "strength and courage"wink

United Kingdom
The Royal Navy: Si vis Pacem, para bellum (if you wish for peace, prepare for war)
The Royal Air Force: Per Ardua ad astra (Through Adversity to the Stars)
Parachute Regiment: Utrinque paratus (ready for anything)
Royal Artillery: Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt (Everywhere right and glory lead.)
Royal Marine Commandos: Per mare, per terram (by sea, by land)
Royal Signals: Certa Cito (Latin), Swift and Silent (old), Swift and Sure.
The London Irish Rifles: Fág an Bealach (Gaelic), Faugh a Ballagh (Anglicised spelling), Clear the way.
The Royal Military Police: Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)
The Rifles Regiment: Celer et audax (Latin) Swift and bold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_unit_mottoes_by_country
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by laykhorn(m): 6:43pm On Dec 13, 2015
tk4rd:
You see you life.?? Google it.. It is our Army Logo.
Pardon my Ignorance. Now I know.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by logica(m): 6:44pm On Dec 13, 2015
sweetgala:

Before Latin became the language of the learned as you say, Arabic has been used by scribes and mathematicians. It is was also the first of the ancient lettered languages which the Nigerian entity came into contact with.
Before? Your history is backwards and your response exposes your bias. Which came first...Aristotle's Era or the Dark Ages? Mind you, Arabic somewhat gained prominence DURING and AFTER the Dark Ages when most libraries in Europe were destroyed and the original meanings of scientific words were lost; meaning the only source of these words was in the Ottoman Empire where the libraries had been preserved.

And which part of Nigeria do you speak of? It was first for the Hausas; those in the South had contact with Portuguese merchants.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by mamaafrik(m): 7:11pm On Dec 13, 2015
Adek15:
government owned hospitals have ambulances with crosses on them. I think Islamic leaders should start criticizing that too. HYPOCRITES!!!!
Honestly, Muslims are too tolerant and are taken for granted in this country.
ore,this is not a navier stoke equation,you will answer those yourself,tell me,is that not a red cross sign you are talking about,yes or No,is red cross a Nigerian initiated organisation?,(did you just put on a frown?),hmmmmm,now tell me,Nigeria is a cosmopolitan state where you have the christains and muslims sebi?,or are christains minority?,now similar countries with related mixtures are netherland china,Britain,U.S,Southafrica,Japan,brazil,tell me,(you can check online) when have you ever heard that any of these countries ever included any islamic inscription or insignia on the likes of their currency,national assembly building Domes,military badges Or constitutions..................?,why is Nigeria own different?,will it have harmed if we remain neutral in this religion sensitive state, did you say muslims are tolerant?,so you can lie?,tell me were there not many yelling of "remove the hebrew sign" on our #100 naira note when the new note was introduced,tell me the tuth ,is that an hebrew sign?,even if it were,did we christain yell all these days when we had arabic on our old currencies and other things,is it a coincidence that BOkaharam,ISIS,shiites are known for mayhem,burning,maiming,bombing and killings locally and internationally? or dont they shout allahu arkbar when doing their evils ,arent they moslems too?,honestly..............................................are you people tolerant mr.Abdul.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Nnabugwu8590: 7:18pm On Dec 13, 2015
opey25:
there are thousand of words that are of Arabic or persian origin in the English dictionary.eg assassin,algebra etc .you can check Google for further research.
You point does not still stand.
Reasons: You managed to answer only one question from many questions that I asked you.
English language knows only 26 alphabets(A-Z) and you will find out that any Greek/Latin/Persian/Arabic word must comply with these 26 english alphabets before it can be accepted in the english dictionary.
So, does the Arabian inscription comply with the 26 alphabets of english language and can it be found in english dictionary?
Thanks once more for your compliance and sorry for my late response.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by NifemiOlu(m): 7:19pm On Dec 13, 2015
The Nigerian army started with crude Hausa men as its first soldiers hence the Arabic inscription. Arabic was the only international language intelligible to the soldiers at that time. That's why till date, Hausas flood the Nigerian Army. Read the history of the Army before you start talking.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by mamaafrik(m): 7:22pm On Dec 13, 2015
sweetgala:

That would be more inappropriate historically because, apart from the advent of western Catholicism which did not use Yiddish or Hebrew in delivery of the gospel, Nigerians have never had any historic BC cultural contact with Judaism or Hebrew. However in the last 350 years there is proof we had contact with Arabic traders, clerics and scribes; We even lost kingdoms to Fulani Jihad from North sub-sah Africa.

That is our in-alienable history and joint heritage, embrace it and promote it as a possible source of wealth through tourism
sweetgala:

That would be more inappropriate historically because, apart from the advent of western Catholicism which did not use Yiddish or Hebrew in delivery of the gospel, Nigerians have never had any historic BC cultural contact with Judaism or Hebrew. However in the last 350 years there is proof we had contact with Arabic traders, clerics and scribes; We even lost kingdoms to Fulani Jihad from North sub-sah Africa.

That is our in-alienable history and joint heritage, embrace it and promote it as a possible source of wealth through tourism
sweetgala:

,hmmmmmm,did you here yourself?,"out joint heritage and in-alienable history",i a christain should enbrace it when itz clear you cant take it,is arabic part of our culture?,people can see your lies and lack of objectivity.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2015
walexwalata:
everything to some people is politics in Nigeria. what is wrong in us having the logo what it is? If you think with your religion, you must have your way in everything in Nigeria, then you are not fair and you cannot realize your expectation. How would you see it if the Muslims too ask for holiday on Fridays to allow them go to mosque like you people do on Sunday? You diplomatically argue, mend and manipulate issues to favour yourselves rather than allowing God to have His way. We understand the basis of your question. ''no be today''

Muslims are the best of mankind!
what religion requested for holidays in the first place?was it not the religion that chose the free days as their worship days?what makes muslims the best of mankind? The ISIS killings or the level of hatred they have for those who don't nod the ground like they do?ma friend, been the best is not abt any fyioking religion, its a personal tthing.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by mamaafrik(m): 7:38pm On Dec 13, 2015
HaneefahRN:

lolz, iyawo, let my husband catch u o.
I wldn't know, none of us can say for sure since we weren't there when the symbol was being designed and made.
What I can say to this is Arabic is just what it is, a language also wc is even also used by Christian in the middle east, speaking Arabic doesn't make u a Muslim, cos that's wht seems to be getting Christians worked up.
From history Arabic was one of the earliest languages introduced to Nigeria esp the North from wc the Ajami lang was extracted.
This symbol has been there for decades but the OP only brought it up out of intolerance wc they most times accuse Muslims of, not cos he was curious to knw what it meant or why it's there but just the hatred for Muslims. I might be wrong but tht is what I feel. And from many of the comments u can see it's cos of the hatred and nothing more.
Personally I don't care what lang is there, never even noticed till when the OP brought it up. As if the language there will pay my sch fees or feed me. Wareva
haaaaaaaa o ti n fe dofelo,wambi,kaserele maaitilo,look at it this way, The nigerian state is a christain and muslim entities,just like a christain man married to a muslim lady,they want peace in the family but can peace be achieved when the husbund always buys pork intentionally for the wife to cook for the family and just feel the wife should not rebel?,that family wanting peace here is Nigeria,oya sofunmi is omitting all sensitive items from the system not the best way to avoid pandemonium here ,madam Rukayatu?
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by HaneefahRN(f): 7:50pm On Dec 13, 2015
mamaafrik:
haaaaaaaa o ti n fe dofelo,wambi,kaserele maaitilo,look at it this way, The nigerian state is a christain and muslim entities,just like a christain man married to a muslim lady,they want peace in the family but can peace be achieved when the husbund always buys pork intentionally for the wife to cook for the family and just feel the wife should not rebel?,that family wanting peace here is Nigeria,oya sofunmi is omitting all sensitive items from the system not the best way to avoid pandemonium here ,madam Rukayatu?
Lolz. 1stly, I'm not Ruqoyah, I'm Haneefah. To what u said, the analogy doesn't matter here, u guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I think all ur question shld be directed to the pple that came up wt the design of the insignia. There are, symbols Christian related we all ignore every day. If pple are so bothered by the lang then u can write to the necessary quarters for it to be changed to Latin or Hebrew
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Nnabugwu8590: 7:53pm On Dec 13, 2015
Adek15:
government owned hospitals have ambulances with crosses on them. I think Islamic leaders should start criticizing that too. HYPOCRITES!!!!
Honestly, Muslims are too tolerant and are taken for granted in this country.
My dear let me teach you something you maynot know.
The red cross you talked about does not relate with christianity. Prove: The Red Cross is made up of Five cubes (one on the ontop, one on the left, one on the centre, one on the right and one on the bottom of the centre), so, it does not represent the cross of Jesus Christ.
The cross of Jesus Christ does not have an equal joined four lines(the bottom line is taller than the rest)
Take care!

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by tk4rd: 7:57pm On Dec 13, 2015
laykhorn:
Pardon my Ignorance. Now I know.
Ok Bro.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Stevez32(m): 8:01pm On Dec 13, 2015
meforyou1:
what a contradiction. The opposite of civil is military

Contradiction or not, the civil service is the core government service and the military. So the military is part of the civil service. The opposite of civil is uncivil, not military......... Go school, them no gree.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by Nnabugwu8590: 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2015
Demmzy15:
And there are arabic words in english language.
Which are written with english alphabets.
True or false?
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by sweetgala(m): 8:09pm On Dec 13, 2015
mamaafrik:
[color=#990000][/color],hmmmmmm,did you here yourself?,"out joint heritage and in-alienable history",i a christain should enbrace it when itz clear you cant take it,is arabic part of our culture?,people can see your lies and lack of objectivity.

People can see what lies, I reminded individuals of historical facts, you've just popped up your bigoted head.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by sweetgala(m): 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2015
logica:
Before? Your history is backwards and your response exposes your bias. Which came first...Aristotle's Era or the Dark Ages? Mind you, Arabic somewhat gained prominence DURING and AFTER the Dark Ages when most libraries in Europe were destroyed and the original meanings of scientific words were lost; meaning the only source of these words was in the Ottoman Empire where the libraries had been preserved.

And which part of Nigeria do you speak of? It was first for the Hausas; those in the South had contact with Portuguese merchants.

The conspiracy theories have arrived, what bloody dark ages do you speak of. You do know the dark ages are post 1 and 2nd Crusade. By this stage ISLAM and the adoption of Arabic language, amalgamation of societies into the caliphate had begun, Jerusalem had been won and lost.
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by mickey45: 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2015
laykhorn:

how myopic? Arabic is a language. Everything Arabic isnt Islamic, just the same way every English isnt for a Religion.
Stop the Ignorance.
It means ''Victory is from God''
The inscription from the currencies 'tells' the amount for those that can read in the Language and it isnt even Arabic, its some Transliteration. Just like I could transliterate English to Arabic, I could write Arabic and you'll read it as English and it would be meaningless in that Arabic.
BTW, I also see no reason for that inscription to be in Arabic when English is the Lingua Franca but I'm not sure thats our Army logo
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by mamaafrik(m): 8:15pm On Dec 13, 2015
HaneefahRN:

Lolz. 1stly, I'm not Ruqoyah, I'm Haneefah. To what u said, the analogy doesn't matter here, u guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I think all ur question shld be directed to the pple that came up wt the design of the insignia. There are, symbols Christian related we all ignore every day. If pple are so bothered by the lang then u can write to the necessary quarters for it to be changed to Latin or Hebrew
hmmm,so you dislike me calling you rukayatu?,hmm,can you now see why such things arent making mountain out of a mole...............,oh ye mrs rukay...............,opppps hasferah .
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by HaneefahRN(f): 8:27pm On Dec 13, 2015
mamaafrik:
hmmm,so you dislike me calling you rukayatu?,hmm,can you now see why such things arent making mountain out of a mole...............,oh ye mrs rukay...............,opppps hasferah .
Why wld I want to be called a name other than mine? I love tht name abeg. I thought u probably didn't knw tht was why I corrected u.
O cwious
Re: Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo by mamaafrik(m): 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2015
sweetgala:

People can see what lies, I reminded individuals of historical facts, you've just popped up your bigoted head.
shut it,why should we all take it as our heritage and history,are we all following mohammed ?,that same myopic thinking of your type is why it was included in the first place into a religion sensitive country like ours,remove all traces of arabic,it does harm to write it in pure english and shut all gibberish expelling mouth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo: "Nnamdi Kanu Died In An Italian Hospital" / I Want To Die In The Lagoon Shirts Now Trending In Lagos / PDP Presidential Primary Election - Live Updates & Situation Report (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.