Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,738 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto (7250 Views)

The Name Biafra, Its Origin And Meaning: / The Late Diepreye Alamieyeseigha: Biography, Life,history, And Death / About Aso Rock Presidential Villa History And Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 13, 2015
BRIEF HISTORY OF NIGERIA ARMY PRE INDEPENDENCE
NA started in 1863 when the Imperial Governor of
Lagos, Lt Glover of the Royal Navy gathered 18 Northern
Nigerians to mount punitive expeditions to protect Britishtrade routes around Lagos. This small force metamorphosed
into the Hausa Constabulary and later formed part of the West African Frontier Force (WAFF).
The visit of Queen Elizabeth II to Nigerian in a 1956 led to the renaming of the Northern and
Southern Regiments to the Queen’s Own Nigerian Regiment
(QONR). When later in that same year, Britain granted military autonomy to her dependencies,
the QONR was re-designated the Nigerian Military Force (NMF),and at independence in 1960, the
name changed to the Royal Nigerian Army. The present
designation, Nigerian Army (NA),
came into use when Nigeria assumed a Republic status in 1963.

HISTORY AND MEANING OF ARMY MOTTO

The adoption of the motto
of the Sokoto Caliphate, as that of the Nigerian Army,
was made by the British - before Nigerian
Independence,
One of the reasons was that the fall of Sokoto in 1903
- and death of Sultan Attahiru - was (and in some
circles, still is) inaccurately regarded by western
historians as the last formal battle in the fall of what
became "Nigeria". The highly symbolic Flag of the
Caliphate was captured by the British, recaptured by
gallant Sokoto Horsemen and recaptured again by the
British. It was kept for many years as a British trophy
in one of the officers' messes in Kaduna but returned
in a formal ceremony just prior to Nigerian
Independence. The myth was spun and sustained by
British Tradition.
However, "Nigeria" did not really fall in 1903. The Tiv
of the middle belt of "Northern Nigeria", for example,
were not militarily or otherwise pacified for at least
another ten (10) years. Many pockets of resistance
remained in present day "Southern Nigeria" - including
Ekumeku and many others. Abeokuta lost its
independence in 1914.
Nevertheless, the symbolism of the events of 1903
became etched into official memory, as shaped by
Dealtry Lugard, which is why the Northern Nigeria
regiment and later the combined Nigeria regiment
(when Lugard supervised the wedding of Northern and
Southern Nigeria in 1914) adopted the Sokoto motto.
Many indigenous pre-colonial Nigerian armies and
nationalities resisted British rule. They all presumably
had their own mottos, but Sir Lugard was preoccupied
with his personal legacy as embodied by the
subjugation of the Sokoto Caliphate and stabilization of
the Anglo-French colonial frontier in the north. It is
not the making of modern day "Northern Nigeria" or
"Northern leaders" or "Leaders of Northern origin" or
"Hausa-Fulani oligarchy or cabal" - as various writers
suggest, that the motto of the Nigerian Army is that of
the pre-colonial Sokoto Caliphate.

NASRUNMINALLAH
Which means victory is from God alone

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Imortal001: 8:37am On Dec 13, 2015
Good
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by madridguy(m): 8:37am On Dec 13, 2015
Nagode Ibn Sultaan. Wonderful research.
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by taiwokyle(m): 8:37am On Dec 13, 2015
AWUA
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 13, 2015
If any body wants the motto change he should also ensure the following.

(1) Removal of all Crescent and/or Cross signs in all public Hospitals, Schools and other Government Buildings and Document (2) Declaration of Sundays and Fridays and not Saturdays and Sundays as weekly resting days. This could show that the Country is not been Christianized as the present Saturday and Sunday weekend do not allow non- Christian to have full benefit of dedicated worshipping on other days. Example of this is the Friday Service by the Muslims and other days that might be for traditional worshippers. Alternatively, maybe we should scrap this weekend stuff/ religious related holidays and do like they do in developed countries, and workers get paid on the basis of hours worked for. I can bet it, we might be a more productive Nation. NB: Please don’t hide your response on the basis of "this what our colonial masters handed over to us". Remember, that colonial were not here alone, they came with the CRUSADERS otherwise called MISSIONARIES.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 13, 2015
lalasticlala Mynd44

Amina508

1 Like

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by gunpoint(m): 8:39am On Dec 13, 2015
What the phuck does it say? angry
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Warlord3000(m): 8:45am On Dec 13, 2015
Sounds fair enough before religious and tribal bigots derail it and give unnecessary connotations

1 Like

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by madridguy(m): 8:46am On Dec 13, 2015
Wahinajundana lahumuli-galibuna for you my broda because I know soon they will be attacking you for this.

IbnSultaan:

(1) Removal of all Crescent and/or
Cross signs in all public Hospitals, Schools and other
Government Buildings and Document (2) Declaration
of Sundays and Fridays and not Saturdays and
Sundays as weekly resting days. This could show
that
the Country is not been Christianized as the present
Saturday and Sunday weekend do not allow non-
Christian to have full benefit of dedicated
worshipping
on other days. Example of this is the Friday Service
by
the Muslims and other days that might be for
traditional worshippers. Alternatively, maybe we
should
scrap this weekend stuff/ religious related holidays
and do like they do in developed countries, and
workers get paid on the basis of hours worked for. I
can bet it, we might be a more productive Nation.
NB:
Please don’t hide your response on the basis of "this
what our colonial masters handed over to us".
Remember, that colonial were not here alone, they
came with the CRUSADERS otherwise called
MISSIONARIES.

1 Like

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 13, 2015
madridguy:
Wahinajundana lahumuli-galibuna for you my broda because I know soon they will be attacking you for this.

I don't care about those masquerades
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by madridguy(m): 8:50am On Dec 13, 2015
Allahu Afis.

IbnSultaan:

I don't care about those masquerades
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by giles14(m): 8:54am On Dec 13, 2015
IbnSultaan:

that
worshipping
by
should
NB:
MISSIONARIES.
and wen we call for ......,dey say we are fools.so wit dis ur excuse u tell me all is well in dis con3? well I expect you to say yes,u knw y
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by januzaj(m): 9:00am On Dec 13, 2015
IbnSultaan:

that
worshipping
by
should
NB:
MISSIONARIES.

1 Like

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Ahmed4002(m): 9:09am On Dec 13, 2015
Issokay.
Let them wail

If you not comfortable with the Logo with the Arabic inscription , the N.A have different logo from each division which you can use.

Scorpion
Horse
Hippopotamus
Sword and tree
Etc

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by bugzbunny: 9:13am On Dec 13, 2015
It means

Victory is only from Allah...

Are we a muslim country?
Are muslims the only ones in the army?
Is Arabic our lingua franca?
Hw many southeners can read arabic?

I dnt blame the north
Am not far frm d truth if I say it seems like they own the country
I only blame the gullible south especially SW

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 13, 2015
hmm
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by meforyou1(m): 9:56am On Dec 13, 2015
IbnSultaan:
hmm
boko, it is victory is from allah. Say the truth for once. Make Friday to Sunday weekends, no problem. But is the medical Red Cross in hospitals, which you people change to crescents denote Christianity? No

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 13, 2015
seun
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Aminat508(f): 10:50am On Dec 13, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 13, 2015
Aminat508:
Hmmmmm
how you de
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Aminat508(f): 10:57am On Dec 13, 2015
IbnSultaan:

how you de
fine. Don't derail your thread. Ttyl sad
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Omotayor123(f): 11:14am On Dec 13, 2015
Good to know.... Good job OP!

2 Likes

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by Warlord3000(m): 11:26am On Dec 13, 2015
Tiring to be explaining to peeps who have their mind already set on a myopic view

1 Like

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by PRYCE(m): 11:34am On Dec 13, 2015
Terrorist thread!...
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by vedaxcool(m): 11:41am On Dec 13, 2015
People who oppose Islam tend to be ignorants half brained dolts. Once they see arabic the IQ deficient individuals think they are looking at Islam. Such reasoning are a result of years of hatred and our poor educational system which fails to give proper enlightenment on the diverse nature of the world.

1 Like

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:41am On Dec 13, 2015
bugzbunny:
It means

Victory is only from Allah...

Are we a muslim country?
Are muslims the only ones in the army?
Is Arabic our lingua franca?
Hw many southeners can read arabic?

I dnt blame the north
Am not far frm d truth if I say it seems like they own the country
I only blame the gullible south especially SW

You are not hiding your tribal bigotry and your gross foolishness. I think if you do, you would have cure yourself some ignorance.

Allah is the same thing as God. The Christians and Arabic translation of the Bible use the word Allah when God is been reffered to.

That Uhrobo call God in their tongue Ogene, does not mean we are into uhrobo Ogbe form of religion. Ogene just like Allah is the samething as God

3 Likes

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by vedaxcool(m): 11:43am On Dec 13, 2015
meforyou1:
boko, it is victory is from allah. Say the truth for once. Make Friday to Sunday weekends, no problem. But is the medical Red Cross in hospitals, which you people change to crescents denote Christianity? No

And Hitler victory were from Jesus right? Since hitler was simply killing Jews for their role in the murder of Jesus. Please bros lets learn to think big and stop acting like worm deep in poo.

About cross in hospitals well na so we go say cross na cross since you want to reason in narrow terms.
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by bugzbunny: 11:48am On Dec 13, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

You are not hiding your tribal bigotry and your gross foolishness. I think if you do, you would have cure yourself some ignorance.

Allah is the same thing as God. The Christians and Arabic translation of the Bible use the word Allah when God is been reffered to.

That Uhrobo call God in their tongue Ogene, does not mean we are into uhrobo Ogbe form of religion. Ogene just like Allah is the samething as God
You are the ignorant one
Allah is God in arabic
Allah is god in islam only

Jesus... Ogene... Eledumare.. Chineke aint Allah
Keep dat in ur skull

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by vedaxcool(m): 11:54am On Dec 13, 2015
bugzbunny:

You are the ignorant one
Allah is God in arabic

Keep dat in ur skull

Where hate don't work they start telling lies. Allah is used by Christians in the arab world and Malaysia. Outside that Muslims freely refer to God in their native tongue where you got your lies from beats me .

Please niccur Jesus has never meant God in any language. In Jesus time there were many people bearing Jesus as a name. Further more xtian do not regard the word Jesus to mean god but the person Jesus to be god. The fact that you cannot fanthom this basic common sense shows you are vastly ignorant of the subject matter of etymology of the words used to refer to God.

2 Likes

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by porshuch: 11:58am On Dec 13, 2015
[quote author=meforyou1 post=40958079]boko, it is victory is from allah. Say the truth for once. Make Friday to Sunday weekends, no problem. But is the medical Red Cross in hospitals, which you people change to crescents denote Christianity? No[/] so what does cross symbolize?
Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by porshuch: 12:00pm On Dec 13, 2015
bugzbunny:

You are the ignorant one
Allah is God in arabic

Keep dat in ur skull
northern christians call God Allah.

2 Likes

Re: History And Meaning Of Nigeria Army Motto by porshuch: 12:01pm On Dec 13, 2015
meforyou1:
what does cross symbolize?

(1) (2) (Reply)

NSCDC Discover Bomb Making Factories In Borno / Alleged N117bn Debt: I’m Not Afraid Of Any Probe, Says Fayose / Wike: No Southern Governor Can Work Against Obi, We'll Support The Best Candidat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.