Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,213 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? (3889 Views)

Will World Be A Better Place Without Jehovah Witnesses / Has Rapture Taken Place Or This Prophecy Of Jesus Was never Fulfilled ? / An Open Letter To The Church: How The Church Can Make The World A Better Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by mantraa: 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2009
All of my Christian friends say that the world is getting much worse than it used to be. They say that morality is decreasing and evil is increasing and that we are in the last days before the end. Why is this?

I used to share this pessimistic outlook on life too when i was a Christian, but now i completely disagree and think the world is becoming a much better place to live in than it used to be.

What do you think? Is the world becoming a better place or worse, and how do you justify your opinion?

respects
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by Diva1(f): 2:59pm On Jun 07, 2009
In my opinion, I would say worse. I just recently opened a thread on God having mercy on us. Just within only one week, the bad news heard was enough to depress me. Aside the plane crash and fire incident that killed a lot of kids, the murder incidents too, all for nothing. On the news today, we hear mostly bad news than good. News I guess back in the days were rarely heard, now it's normal, mother killing child so she can be free, mother microwaving baby for boyfriend and so much more.

But all in all, we leave everything to God.
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by huxley2(m): 3:34pm On Jun 07, 2009
Christianity preaches this bankrupt and immoral doctrine that the world has to get worse and that the dire state of the world is a harbinger to the 2nd coming of Jesus. Amongst other passages, this is one of those that inspire such apocalyptic hope in Christians:

Matthew 24

1And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

3[b]And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world[/b]?

4And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6[b]And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.[/b]

7[b][size=18pt]For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.[/size][/b]

8All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14[b]And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.[/b]

15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understandsmiley

16Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25Behold, I have told you before.

26Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33[size=18pt]So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.[/size]

34[size=18pt]Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.[/size]

This is one of the most corrupt and mentally deranged pronoucements from the ignoramus that is Jesus. On the one hand, he claims that all these things was going to happen to the generation that was listening to him. On the other hand, he says that the end will come when the message has been preached to ALL nations. Did he expect the message to be preached to all nations in his generation?

As if that is not bad enough, there is a massive sense of irony and contradiction in this doctrine. Christianity claims that the message of Jesus has a positive transformative effect on the world and all people who abide by it. Well, it that is the case and if all nations are converted to Christianity (which is the main goal of Christianity and Jesus), then is Jesus predicting that Christian nations and going to be warring against other Christian nations? Where are the nations that are going to be fighting againts other nations?

The world is definitely becoming a better place, much to the chagrin of the Christian. In fact, in the few occasions when there is trouble between nations and tribes, these have been fueled by religion.

The formation of unions of states, the likes of the European Union, African Union, South East Asian Union, etc, etc, bodes well for peace in the world. The United Nations is particularly is force for good in the world, delivery many humanitarian projects like water supply and food and enivormental protection, fight againts diseases with WHO, international court of justice, etc, etc.

Many of the diseases that used to ravage humans are being tamed through science and technology, the products of rationalism.

There is better transport and communication links between various parts of the world.

Traditional hostilities amongst different groups of people is melting away due to travel and education.

There is improved supply of good quality water and food.

So if you think, the world is getting worse, can you point to a time in the past when the world was much better than it is today?
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by jagunlabi(m): 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2009
A better place to live because man is becoming less and less primitive minded and getting more and more evolved.As we get more evolved intellectually and spiritually we create a better world to live in.
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by mantraa: 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2009
I agree, i cant think of any time in history that i would rather be living than now.
Can u imagine what life was like just 50 yeas ago when black people where segregated and not allowed to vote in america. We were deprived of education and seen as dumb, second class citizens and even sub-human.

Now we have a black man as president of america (the most powerful country in the world) and everyone knows that all humans evolved from africa.

100 years ago, all of europe was at war with millions dying. The theory of nuclear energy had not been discovered yet. There was no such thing as human rights and equality.

200 years ago we were slaves and being sold abroad whilst at the same time missionaries were trying to save our 'souls' so that we can have a better life when we die. The theory of electricity had not been discovered yet.

500 years ago the mayans were cutting out people hearts. We had no understanding of the fact that we are living on a planet revolving around a star. Germ theory of medicine had not been discovered. Mortality rates were ridiculously  high.

1000 years ago, virtually every country/ tribe/clan was at war with its neighbour. This was the so-called  'dark ages' when ignorance and superstition was rife.

And it just gets worse the further you go back until you come to the stories documented in the old testament where people were encouraged to massacre their own family and neighbours for not worshipping the same god as them.

So that is the reason why i think the world has become a much better place to live in, and is getting better as people become more understanding and respectful of others regardless of race, sex, culture, and RELIGION.
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by toneyb: 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2009
The world is definately becomeing a better place, people now integrate more with each other, slavery has been abolished, inter racial marriages are taking places. Wars were not fought the way people use to fight during the medieval times, there are now things like war crimes, morality is always evloving and people are less likley do die through violence than during the middle ages. Over all morailty has improved a lot infact animals now have rights in some parts of the world .
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by barondavil(m): 12:50am On Jun 12, 2009
It really interests me to see people especiately youth like myself who are eager to find answers to questions that matter most in life.I really appreciate the effort Huxley2 made in putting the Bible book of Matthew 24 down.Concerning the Bible author Isaiah46:10 says:'The One telling from the beginning the end and son ancient times the things that has not be done the one saying My own council will stand and anything that is my delight i shall do'Hebrews6:18 tells us that it is impossible for God to lie.So since God himself tells from the beginning the end so what has he said in our time? Please follow of and examine that same Matthew 24.Verse 6 and 7made mention of something consider the millions of lives the two world wars have taken and and what about the earthquakes we face.Have you ever look at statistics and see the number of people has killed?Have you taken time to see the number killed by diseases?What about the outbreak of diseases?Were they rampart back then?Can you compare the numbers?
Re: Is The World Becoming A Better Place Or Getting Worse? by barondavil(m): 12:58am On Jun 12, 2009
It really interests me to see people especiately youth like myself who are eager to find answers to questions that matter most in life.I really appreciate the effort Huxley2 made in putting the Bible book of Matthew 24 down.Concerning the Bible author Isaiah46:10 says:'The One telling from the beginning the end and son ancient times the things that has not be done the one saying My own council will stand and anything that is my delight i shall do'Hebrews6:18 tells us that it is impossible for God to lie.So since God himself tells from the beginning the end so what has he said in our time? Please follow of and examine that same Matthew 24.Verse 6 and 7made mention of something consider the millions of lives the two world wars have taken and and what about the earthquakes we face.Have you ever look at statistics and see the number of people has killed?Have you taken time to see the number killed by diseases?What about the outbreak of diseases?Were they rampart back then?Can you compare the numbers?

(1) (Reply)

Marian Apparitions: Divine Or Demonic? / OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage / Christians, I Have A Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.