Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby (30970 Views)

My Family Treats Her Bad And Now My Wife Wants To Leave Me / Recent Photos Of The Baby That Was Rescued By A Dog After Being Abandoned / If Your Wife Wants To Be Da Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Nobody: 9:41am On Dec 19, 2015
My wife just handed me this list. It's a list of what she wants to get for our soon-to-be-born daughter.

My only problem here is that she won't tell me how much each of those items cost, so I don't really know how much to give her.

Can an experienced lady/father in the house please tell me how much to give her for this long list of items? Thank you in advance.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by libertyfather(m): 9:42am On Dec 19, 2015
Give her money nah like 100k u will knw if more is needed if she gets back, why u come dey post am on NL? I don't agree with the poster below me it a risk she may end up buying what the baby will need till the age of 5

4 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by overdrive(m): 9:43am On Dec 19, 2015
Give her ur ATM card,d baby belongs to u both

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 19, 2015
libertyfather:
Give her money nah like 100k u will knw if more is needed if she gets back, why u come dey post am on NL?

100k? Please tell me you're joking.

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 19, 2015
pls tell me this is a joke

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by libertyfather(m): 9:50am On Dec 19, 2015
NORAD:

Yeah for the first baby, the bill reduce for the second baby cos he or she will inherit some of the first child things, that's how it work but make u no spend @ least 100k for the first child? Forget it

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by oslae(f): 9:50am On Dec 19, 2015
Go shopping together, it's quite easier that way, she wouldn't know the prices for all those stuffs.

15 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 19, 2015
EroticAngelina:
pls tell me this is a joke

It's no joke. The real issue is she never tells me how much she needs for food or anything at all.
Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Eketem: 9:57am On Dec 19, 2015
This is the hospital list like someone said it should cost about 100k, and better believe there are more expenses coming.

When we tell young couples to plan their lives because babies are expensive them no go hear. Anyway you have months to save and plan. These items should be ready and packed by the 7 month in a box.

Goodluck.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by bennyrazz: 10:17am On Dec 19, 2015
really I don't know how some people think. Your wife gave you a list without price because she knows if she puts the price there, you would doubt her because of your financial stringency. Every reasonable woman should know the prices of things that are needed in her home. So @ Norad , kindly go to the market and find out prices of those things and you can take it a step further by buying those stuffs yourself or invite her to join you.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by blessedtwins: 10:30am On Dec 19, 2015
Op I tried to read the list albeit its not too clear but it doesn't look like the full baby list for home use.that said 50k should suffice based on what I see there.
She is not a magician too to know the prices nah.relax bro

8 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by DonTim1: 10:32am On Dec 19, 2015
If u can't give her bulk sum, save ur self stress, send a young boy/gurl on market survey then you have an idea on how much to give
Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 19, 2015
blessedtwins:
Op I tried to read the list albeit its not too clear but it doesn't look like the full baby list for home use.that said 50k should suffice based on what I see there.
She is not a magician too to know the prices nah.relax bro

Thanks for your suggestion. I can part with 50k THIS DECEMBER but not 100k.

By the way, the baby is due in March, (plus or minus two weeks). I hope we can still go about this in piecemeal fashion.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Trunaijian: 11:00am On Dec 19, 2015
She is ur wife u say. U guys should discuss ways of knowing the prices together.

1 Like

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by armyofone(m): 11:00am On Dec 19, 2015
For your own baby you are talking like this ? shocked
You can always ask for the most important things that are needed first and mark the rest as next on the list. With that your "I can part with 50 k this Dec and not 100 k " attitude are you sure you are ready? You better be for your child/children.

NORAD:

By the way, the baby is due in March, (plus or minus two weeks). I hope we can still go about this in piecemeal fashion.

37 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Eketem: 11:13am On Dec 19, 2015
I am sorry to say your attitude is just wrong Sir. These things are not for fancy but for the safety of your wife and child. If you want to bring a child to this world please be ready for the expenses that come with that responsibility.

Go yourself to a big pharmachy and a baby shop find out the prices of these things yourself then you will understand how expensive these things are.

Meanwhile does your wife work? I hope she does and has money to add up else those wicked nurses will just embarrass her during antenatal.

This is why I advocate for family joint and expenses account, if you had better financial planning and an account to plan and prepare for this you won't be disrespecting her on nairaland because she needs items to bring your own child into the world.

Women please empower yourselves.

NORAD:

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by saltoftheearth0(f): 11:29am On Dec 19, 2015
This is really shocking to read. 50k? Mr man . are not ready or it hasn't hit you yet.take like 300k to buy baby thing and you still wont see what you have bought trust me you haven't started.

19 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by blank(f): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2015
Cut your coat according to your cloth. Those things have varying prices depending on the brand. Someone can buy a nightgown of 1000naira whilst another will use 20k to buy a nightgown.

Depending on your income, give her what you can afford and let her buy the things the money will cover. Just explain that you will need to save for the tough economic climate of 2016 so no need to spend on frivolities and name brands when cheaper alternatives are available. If 50k is what you have, give her.

People saying give her 100k probably earn 400k a month. If it will dent your savings, abeg reduce your hand. There are people earning 50k a month and still having children. You can even break it in bits and spread over 2 months.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Eketem: 12:16pm On Dec 19, 2015
saltoftheearth0:
This is really shocking to read. 50k? Mr man . are not ready or it hasn't hit you yet.take like 300k to buy baby thing and you still wont see what you have bought trust me you haven't started.

This is if you want to add crib, carrier, stroller etc. For the basics 100k should do.

If oga has no money he can break save some more from now till January but by January he needs to start saving money for hospital bill and immunisation. Rotavirus is every month for the first three months and the cheapest you Will get it is 16k. He should pray it's a vagin-al birth because CS is much more expensive.

These expenses is what young couples should be planning during courtship not big wedding

Also all these parents demanding this and that should realise that a couple would have to deal with this when they marry

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by tpiar: 1:16pm On Dec 19, 2015
Go to the market or store and price the items yourself.

what a s.tupid thread.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Chidoks(f): 2:01pm On Dec 19, 2015
Eketem:

This is if you want to add crib, carrier, stroller etc. For the basics 100k should do.

If oga has no money he can break save some more from now till January but by January he needs to start saving money for hospital bill and immunisation. Rotavirus is every month for the first three months and the cheapest you Will get it is 16k. He should pray it's a vagin-al birth because CS is much more expensive.

These expenses is what young couples should be planning during courtship not big wedding

Also all these parents demanding this and that should realise that a couple would have to deal with this when they marry
My thoughts exactly.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by uyiekpenm(f): 2:05pm On Dec 19, 2015
Oga 100k will be OK for the things on that list but not enough for all the baby needs.
Why not go shopping with your wife. At least you will see things for yourself.
Baby things are quite expensive you know.
Safe delivery to your wife.

8 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by porshuch: 2:10pm On Dec 19, 2015
It seems you're a new father, her list is ok for first baby, you've not started spending yet, when the baby arrives is when you will spend x3 of these, because you will start buying diapers almost every week or two weeks, baby milk is around 2500, and the baby can finish one tin under 3days. So get ready and be a man, it's your responsibility now!

8 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by porshuch: 2:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
Get ready to start saving for immunization money, government don't sponsor some of this vaccines, like pneumococcal vacinne ( it costs like 10,000 and the baby will take it 3 times ie is at monthly intervals, then you hv ROTAVIRUS VACCINE, That will prevent vomiting and stooling . Price is 7000 and will be taken at 6wks after delivery 10 wks and 14 wks, each dose us 7000, and many more.

You see, child bearing and upbringing is a very big task, so brave up, and take up your responsibility and stop complaining.

grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Onegai(f): 2:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
NORAD:

grin grin you never start, Oga. And prices of things are going up because most of it is imported.

9 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Eketem: 2:37pm On Dec 19, 2015
Onegai:

grin grin you never start, Oga. And prices of things are going up because most of it is imported.

Tor, the other day we were trying to give practical information to the other lady on the need to be fully prepared for these things it became that we don't want people to marry young

11 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by zemaye: 3:14pm On Dec 19, 2015
grin grin grin grin
e sheshe bere
Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Onegai(f): 3:16pm On Dec 19, 2015
Eketem:

Tor, the other day we were trying to give practical information to the other lady on the need to be fully prepared for these things it became that we don't want people to marry young

They were insulting us that we are bitter and just trying to delay her happiness nah. Later on, it's to be begging for financial help on NL. I decided to go to Balogun market and accidentally found myself in Dosunmu (baby section). The prices there were hitting what one finds at Ebeano Supermarket in Lekki. And as dollar falls, they will increase prices.

OP, it's better to shop now. If dollar doesn't fall next year, by March it will be over N300 and prices will go up. Immunizations are not cheap so budget paying for pnemoccocal (it's important) and try and get the rest at government hospital. If you guys have a washing machine, you can use modern cloth diapers (I use them and they save money and I also sewed my wipes, plain terry towels work well). If not, I've heard of affordable disposable diaper brands like Angel and Molfix which work better that made-in-nigeria Huggies or Pampers. Use Olive or Coconut oil for body cream (my baby uses that successfully, and Palm kernel oil is still kinda controversial because different dermatologists feel differently about it). Maybe use coconut oil or Vaseline for diaper barrier cream (I prefer coconut oil) so you can get the smallest pot of Sudocrem (N2500) and it will be used only if you have rashes.
Buy unisex coloured clothing (grey, white, yellow) until baby is over 3 months.

Buy the hospital list now and pack her hospital bag now. You don't want to be unprepared and I've heard about the horrors of Nigerian nurses and maternity ward grin (the most wicked agbeero pales in comparison to an overworked, underpaid Nigerian nurse so she will take out her frustration on your poor labouring wife if that list is not complete or if you come with no bag to the hospital).
I'm actually planning a post on best baby products in Nigeria o, so maybe I'll write some more.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Eketem: 3:28pm On Dec 19, 2015
Onegai:

They were insulting us that we are bitter and just trying to delay her happiness nah. Later on, it's to be begging for financial help on NL. I decided to go to Balogun market and accidentally found myself in Dosunmu (baby section). The prices there were hitting what one finds at Ebeano Supermarket in Lekki. And as dollar falls, they will increase prices.

OP, it's better to shop now. If dollar doesn't fall next year, by March it will be over N300 and prices will go up. Immunizations are not cheap so budget paying for pnemoccocal (it's important) and try and get the rest at government hospital. If you guys have a washing machine, you can use modern cloth diapers (I use them and they save money and I also sewed my wipes, plain terry towels work well). If not, I've heard of affordable disposable diaper brands like Angel and Molfix which work better that made-in-nigeria Huggies or Pampers. Use Olive or Coconut oil for body cream (my baby uses that successfully, and Palm kernel oil is still kinda controversial because different dermatologists feel differently about it). Maybe use coconut oil or Vaseline for diaper barrier cream (I prefer coconut oil) so you can get the smallest pot of Sudocrem (N2500) and it will be used only if you have rashes.
Buy unisex coloured clothing (grey, white, yellow) until baby is over 3 months.

Buy the hospital list now and pack her hospital bag now. You don't want to be unprepared and I've heard about the horrors of Nigerian nurses and maternity ward grin (the most wicked agbeero pales in comparison to an overworked, underpaid Nigerian nurse so she will take out her frustration on your poor labouring wife if that list is not complete or if you come with no bag to the hospital).
I'm actually planning a post on best baby products in Nigeria o, so maybe I'll write some more.

My sister ehnnnnnn me i know the mentality of my sisters down north and was speaking based on that. The parents know that too and hence their objection. Once the girls in the circle start getting married body go dey pain them. A lot of my school friends did same now you dare not add them on Facebook or else you face lamentations upon lamentations. Wish her well sha.

Back to post, olive oil and shear butter is also very good. Plus once they are a bit older like 4 months you can use lux to bath them. After 2 months the mother can use washable breastpads, the disposable ones go for 2500 for 40 pieces if she changes morning and evening it is 10 days only so on breastpads alone 7500 a month

4 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Excellent7(m): 3:29pm On Dec 19, 2015
@All
Please folks take it easy on this guy.
Some are already calling the guy names, saying he is stingy, he has not started........etc.
Nobody has asked about the guy's income.
Last time I checked even barrow pushers' wives still have children.

@OP
You asked for advice, you will get it.
Do not allow yourself be harassed. All fingers are not equal, I know.
Men are in sizes and life is in phases.
First let me congratulate you in advance on the new one coming into you family.
Pregnancy is not a disease! It is not a curse!! It is a blessing !!!, and an integral part of the cycle of life.
Luckily, it does not just happen, there is usually a 7 to 9 months' notice.
Your darling wife can not tell you because she does not know the prices, I guess this is your first child.
Even if it is thirty thousand Naira you have now give her to get the things that amount can get, starting with the most vital. If you can afford more, that will be great.
Gradually, you will get most if not all of the things in the list before her due date.
Do not wait or delay until you think you have all the funds.
It's gradually gradually that the snail whilst carrying its own house reaches its "destination".
By careful planning a man of limited means can get a roof over his head.
Once again congratulations in advance grin grin grin

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 19, 2015
I sense u are first time parents. I suggest you both go shopping together for you to see these things might really worth 100k at the end of day.

You can cut down on some things though. And don't buy too many little clothes because the baby might be big and they outgrow their clothes quickly.

May God make baby's delivery easy for her. Congrats in advance.

3 Likes

Re: My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby by Onegai(f): 4:18pm On Dec 19, 2015
excellent7, maybe they thought he was sounding as if he suspected his wife was trying to inflate costs and wanted to set things straight. And you don't want to compare yourself to a wheelbarrow pusher (you need to go to GH and see how pathetic they are, people dying for lack of N1000 and doctors who haven't been paid shaking their pockets to buy drugs for them).

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Signs That Your Child Is Being Sexually Abused / Man Dies In Aba Hotel After Telling Wife He Was On A Business Trip To Umuahia / Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.