Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity (4014 Views)

Fayose Thanks Platoon With N100K For Cooking Food For Him In NYSC Camp. PICS / Muhammad Abu Ali Cooking And Relaxing In His Home Before His Death / Like Ethiopia, Like Nigeria: How China Helped Ethiopia Economy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2015
With due respect to the moderator of this section, i hope this is the right section to post this very useful material. Over the past three years, research has been ongoing on how to harness the power of BIOGAS. In the present scenario of dwindling petroleum resources and global warming, exploring other avenues for eco-friendly fuels became essential. Biogas which is a clean and environmental friendly fuel emerged as one of the potential alternative fuels.

In view of this, i have decided to take any person who might be interested in generating his/her (Cooking/Electricity) energy @ home by the hand on how to construct a 500L BIOGAS TANK for domestic consumption ONLY.

This lesson is made possible by my teacher in BIOGAS TECHNOLOGY, MR J. Antoni Raj. (Rtd) Civil Engineer, Uthamapalayam and Dr. S Ajmal Khan, M.sc, P.hd, Professor- Emeritus, Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Annamalai University, Parangipettai, India.

All lectures will be supported with pictures. I need 10 nairalanders to indicate interest before i proceed. PLS DON'T DROP YOUR EMAILS.

5 Likes

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by ayowhizi: 12:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Interested
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by mrvitalis(m): 12:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
This is not what we need in this country for now
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 12:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
Welcome aboard Sir
ayowhizi:
Interested
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by uwa1(m): 12:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
Present.....
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 12:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
The world is moving away from fossil fuel to renewable energy, The earlier we tap into this the better.
mrvitalis:
This is not what we need in this country for now

2 Likes

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Candyrain(m): 12:22pm On Dec 20, 2015
Organic matter? Is that poo poo? grin grin grin

Bubu isn't interested in this. He just allocated some money for oil exploration in NE instead of looking for alternative source of energy.

Present btw

2 Likes

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 12:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
Welcome aboard
uwa1:
Present.....
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by mrvitalis(m): 12:28pm On Dec 20, 2015
Dexpro:
The world is moving away from fossil fuel to renewable energy, The earlier we tap into this the better.
Bro I am a mechanical engineer and I tell u... if we must get 24/day power this is not the way to go
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 12:36pm On Dec 20, 2015
Sir i don't believe in impossibilities. As a matter of fact, those things possible today were actually impossible yesterday. Mobile phones/GSM was impossible in Nigeria like 40 years ago, but today it is possible.
mrvitalis:

Bro I am a mechanical engineer and I tell u... if we must get 24/day power this is not the way to go

3 Likes

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 12:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
Welcome aboard Sir
Candyrain:
Organic matter? Is that poo poo? grin grin grin

Bubu isn't interested in this. He just allocated some money for oil exploration in NE instead of looking for alternative source of energy.

Present btw
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by donstriker0: 1:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
Present too
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Carmal90(m): 2:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
Dexpro:
With due respect to the moderator of this section, i hope this is the right section to post this very useful material. Over the past three years, research has been ongoing on how to harness the power of BIOGAS. In the present scenario of dwindling petroleum resources and global warming, exploring other avenues for eco-friendly fuels became essential. Biogas which is a clean and environmental friendly fuel emerged as one of the potential alternative fuels.

In view of this, i have decided to take any person who might be interested in generating his/her (Cooking/Electricity) energy @ home by the hand on how to construct a 500L BIOGAS TANK for domestic consumption ONLY.

Interested

This lesson is made possible by my teacher in BIOGAS TECHNOLOGY, MR J. Antoni Raj. (Rtd) Civil Engineer, Uthamapalayam and Dr. S Ajmal Khan, M.sc, P.hd, Professor- Emeritus, Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Annamalai University, Parangipettai, India.

All lectures will be supported with pictures. I need 10 nairalanders to indicate interest before i proceed. PLS DON'T DROP YOUR EMAILS.
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Carmal90(m): 2:47pm On Dec 20, 2015
Dexpro:

Interested

Interested
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Nobody: 3:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
Interested
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Chigorkizz(m): 3:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
interested only if you'll not ask me to pay money . Google is my friend!!!
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Elose11(m): 3:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
Much interested!
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by orunto27: 5:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
orunto27 and tunsboy17 are interested smiley
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 8:29pm On Dec 20, 2015
Welcome aboard
donstriker0:
Present too
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 8:38pm On Dec 20, 2015
Biogas Plant Using Kitchen and Food Waste

DAY 1: What is Biogas, What is Biogas Plant and How it Functions...?

What is Biogas...?

For those who are not familiar with the term Biogas :

Microorganisms who thrive in the absence of air digests the organic material and releases a mixture of gases. The gases thus produced contains mostly methane along with other gases like Carbon dioxide, Nitrogen and Hydrogen Sulphide in small quantities. This process is known as anaerobic digestion.

Methane is a colorless and odorless gas and is highly flammable. (It is Hydrogen Sulphide that smells bad) Methane is not poisonous.

Methane along with other gases occurs naturally in swamps, waste dumps and even in home toilets in the septic tank. Due to its highly flammable quality, it can be used as fuel. But capturing the methane from the atmosphere is very difficult as it is lighter than air. The Biogas Digester or Biogas Plant we see here is a device which helps us in collecting this gas and use it as fuel.

Biogas Plant

You can see the opened-up prototype of a Biogas plant in above photograph.

The Biogas plant consists of a digester tank, where the organic material is stored and the microorganisms work on them and release gas.
The gas thus produced is collected in a tank known as gas collector. In a floating type model, this tank is floating in the slurry and moves up-and-down based on the amount of gas stored in it
A guide pipe helps the gas collector tank to move up-and-down inside the digester tank.
Waste is fed through feed pipe inside the digester tank.
The fully digested slurry drains out through the outlet pipe. This can be collected, diluted and used as fertilizer for plants.
A gas pipe line from the Gas collector tank helps in utilizing the gas for cooking and lighting.

Now let's get down to business and construct a medium sized Biogas plant for home use
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 8:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
Selection of Tanks

This is my attempt at constructing a medium sized Biogas plant for home use as well for demonstration to students and others using a 750 liter capacity tank as digester and a 500 liter capacity tank as a gas holder, a floating type gas holder method. I have provided easy to understand step-by-step instructions on how to build the plant. Please go through this and feel free to post your comments and queries with respect to biogas.

Before selection of tanks, I need to consider how much of digestible kitchen and garden waste I could collect everyday for feeding the tank. In my case I can easily collect between 3.5 to 4 kilogram of waste from kitchen and home garden. This quantity will be sufficient for a biogas plant with 700 to 800 liter capacity digester tank. A simple thumb rule for biogas plant for home use is 5 kilograms of waste needs a 1000 liter capacity digester.

Now for the selection of gas holder tank, I need to consider the following before buying the tank:

The model I am building is with a floating type gas holder tank. That means the gas holder will move up and down based on the amount of gas inside. So, the gas holder tank should fit inside the digester and also should have minimum difference between their width as this will reduce in loss of gas through the sides.

During market search, I found that the 500 liters capacity tank will meet the requirement, having a width difference of about 100 mm, that means 50 mm on each side. So, I have decided to use the 500 liter tank as gas holder, which will have an up-and- down movement inside the digester using guides.

Some designs cater for a water seal between the digester and gas holder, but in my case that will considerably reduce the capacity of the digester. However, the gas loss through the sides will be very marginal with respect to providing a water seal and reducing the capacity of the digester.

In the above photographs, you can see the selection of my tanks. They are of very good quality three layered tanks that can withstand exposure to sunlight and acidic condition of the slurry inside.

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by EternalTruths: 8:59pm On Dec 20, 2015
Teach us about the electricity aspect using Generator.

Thanks
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2015
We'll get there soon Sir
EternalTruths:
Teach us about the electricity aspect using Generator.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 9:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
Other Materials Required

In addition to the tanks, I have utilized the following PVC parts:

PVC Door elbow 120 mm dia one number to be used for feeding waste
PVC pipe 50 mm dia 300 mm long to be fitted with digester for slurry outlet
PVC pipes 32 mm dia 250 mm long 4 pieces to be fitted with digester for guide system
PVC pipes 32 mm dia 1000 mm long 4 pieces for guide system
PVC pipes 12 mm dia 1000 mm long 4 pieces for guide system and stabilizing gas tank
PVC pipe 120 mm dia one piece to be used for waste feeding
PVC cap 120 mm dia for the waste feed pipe
PVC pipe 50 mm dia about 5 meters for the slurry outlet system
PVC bend 50 mm dia one piece for the slurry outlet system
PVC 32 mm dia threaded couplers 4 pieces to be fitted with gas tank for guide system
PVC 32 mm dia plain couplers 4 pieces to be fitted with digester for guide system
PVC Elbow reducer 32 mm to 12 mm 4 pieces for the guide system

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 9:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
More Material Pictures

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 9:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
Last picture

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 9:21pm On Dec 20, 2015
Adhesives Used

For joining the parts of the gas plant, I have used the following adhesives

Araldite Epoxy Adhesive
M-Seal Epoxy Compound
PvC Solvent Cement

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 9:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
Please drop your comments. Thanks.

This training is 100% FREE!!!

1 Like

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
pls continue.
i am willing to even meet you in person
or even pay to learn
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 11:21pm On Dec 20, 2015
Yes we'll meet. At the end of this training, you will be able to construct one yourself cheesy
Txonyi:
pls continue.
i am willing to even meet you in person
or even pay to learn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Sibrah: 11:37pm On Dec 20, 2015
Good idea. We need more of these. The FG under last admin tried something like this when the awarded contracts for production of eco-friendly cooking stoves for about N10B. It met with opposition from Nigerians who didn't understand the idea behind it fully. It was strangely reported as "cooking stove being discussed in FEC meeting".
Though we have natural gas, ideas like these will surely help get Nigerians thinking in the direction of self-sufficiency. Keep it up.
Re: Renewable Energy In Nigeria. How to create yours for cooking and electricity by Dexpro: 6:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
DAY 2: Tools Required

You can see here that construction of this plant does not require many tools. These are list of tools I have used:

A hacksaw with frame

A single sided hacksaw blade

A sharp knife

A medium sized hammer

Set of spanners to tighten the gas pipe connectors

For crimping the connectors with the ends of gas pipes, I got assistance from the shop from where I bought the gas pipes. They helped me with their Hand crimping equipment as per my requirement.

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uniting The Warring Nairaland PDP Family / See What Omoyele Somore Was Caught Doing With A Female Youth / Latest APC Rally Pictures From Borno State. Massive.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.