Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,701 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) (46941 Views)

VIOLENT. The Kingdom Of Heaven Suffers Violence. The Misinterpretation . / Christians,was The Gospel Account Of Matthew Divinely Inspired? / The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by honeymills(f): 7:59pm On Dec 20, 2015
Noted. All u want us to know is that u bought a new phantom 5. Enjoy it and leave d fvcking bible verse alone.

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by phabulousangel(m): 8:04pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Well... this is lamentable

We along with you, thank God for small mercies such as the newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5

True, it doesnt in any way or have anything to do with prayers, as some, by most preachers are led to believe

Unfortunately this whole statement is inaccurate,
as it isnt about spreading the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs
but rather has more to do about/with, how some, upon hearing the good news of the kingdom of God, are forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven

Forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven, as in or because the gate is narrow (i.e. Matthew 7:13-14)

13"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate.
The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.

14But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it
- Matthew 7:13-14

Though you have good intentions in bringing attention to the misinterpreted verse
and highlighting the eisegesis perpetrated with this verse by ignorant and/or unscrupulous preachers, pastors etcetera,
you too have slipped on the banana skin and fallen victim to misinterpreting the verse

Very disrespectul isnt it?
Apart from babies, would an earthly father/mother be swayed or influenced by loud talk, screams, shouts, display of militant aggressiveness etcetera when having conversations, dialogues, exchanges, discussions or mitigations with his/her kid(s)?

The Siege of Jerusalem in the year 70 AD was the death of tithing and the destruction of the temple put the last nail in the tithing coffin.
Obligatory tithing, resurrected tithing, tithing-under-any-form-of-disguise is tantamount to extortion

Let me end with providing the witness scripture (i.e. Luke 16:16) that not only backs Mathew 11:12 up
but also puts Mathew 11:12 into perspective (i.e. Luke 16:16 makes the gist in Mathew 11:12 clearer)

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence,
and the violent take it by force.

- Mathew 11:12

"Moses' Teachings and the Prophets were [in force] until the time of John.
Since that time, people have been telling the Good News about the kingdom of God,
and everyone is trying to force their way into it

- Luke 16:16

"Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides.
But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in
- Luke 16:16

''Suffereth'' in Mathew 11:12 means tolerated, allowed, permitted
and the ''violence'' in Mathew 11:12 DOES NOT mean behaviour involving physical force with intention to hurt, damage, kill or be destructive
but rather eagerness to push in, to press in etcetera through the ''narrow gate'' in order to gain access into entering the Kingdom of Heaven
God will bless you, we have to be very very csreful

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by oluwaniyi66(m): 8:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by oluwaniyi66(m): 8:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
the meaning of VIOLENCE in that verse in Yoruba version means alagbara . it means power. the Bible says in Matt 22:29 But Jesus replied to them, You are wrong because you know neither the Scriptures nor God's power. matt 11:12 means those who are full of violence - power - the word of God will take the Kingdom of God by force . that's why the Bible said in Isaiah 66:2b But this is the man to whom I will look and have regard: he who is humble and of a broken or wounded spirit, and who trembles at My word and reveres My commands.(B) happy Sunday! happy new week !! happy new year in advance !!!

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by mu2sa2: 8:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
You are advertising tecno phantom 5 but pretending to be interpreting mathew 11:12. Fake preacher.

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 20, 2015
Op and co., y'all should stop deceiving yourselves and start paying your tithes. Its unfortunate how a lot of ministries go about tithing but it is still important to pay it till the end of this age. I doubt a lot of y'all know that tithing started even before the Law and tithing is sure mentioned in the new testaments as well. I don't know how the ministry is supposed to be financed if any giving to the church is met with one argument or another.

One more thing, if you don't tithe start watching your income closely and you will notice that tenth part can't be saved no matter what. You spend it on things you either can't fathom or emergencies that should have never occurred.

A word is enough for the wise!

4 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by gentlegenius(m): 8:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:
When I see young people claim to be atheists or something of sort, I do not blame them but blame those preachers who have decided to be teaching is heresy and nothing more.

As I was reading through Nairaland beginning from 1:20pm on my newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5, I observed that many people have misrepresented the scriptures as penned down in Mathew 11:12

Let's see what the scriptures indeed say about it.

Mathew 11:12

KJV:And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

The truth about this verse is simple; it does talk about aggressiveness or violence but it does not in any way talk about it in prayers as we have been told by most preachers.

The verse talks about how many from time past have been violent in preaching the message of the Kingdom of God and not even of Heaven o as some may conclude! The verse talks about how we as CHRISTIANS are supposed to be spread the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs.

The verse has been so misquoted that it is the first thing preachers use when they want to tell you to SHOUT, SCREAM, ROAR with NOISE before God hears you meanwhile the Bible has already stated why God doesn't hear people at times (SIN).

It is therefore imperative that we come to terms about God not being influenced by anyone's loud prayers or screams or shouts PR aggressiveness during prayers! It is unscriptural just like paying tithes to a pastor is for members of the Kingdom of God.

Let me stop writing here while I listen to those I read some comments from on my clean an clear Tecno Phantom 5 mobike phone and birth this Holy Spirit inspired rhema: MizMyColi, tosyne2much, YourMain, chibwike, DonChippy, TedBaker, Rukkydelta, precious91, sunnyclif and others :-)
OP, you created a nice thread but you almost spoiled the show by constantly and indirectly advertising the overpriced Phantom 5. Pls spare us the advert.

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by haffaze777(m): 8:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
We yaff heard u op, next pls
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 20, 2015
You've just given your OPINION and I consider it wrong for you to categorically deem it as a true interpretation of that Bible portion. it would be absolutely naive for anyone to claim to fully understand God or the way He works, even the Bible says 'His ways are past finding out'. That's why God remains a Mystery. if you choose to pray aggressively, Good for you! if you choose to do it quietly, No problem! all I know is that He answers Prayers. Personally I don't like aggressive prayers especially when it disturbs other peoples peace but that doesn't mean God doesn't Hear such prayers...

4 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by TedBaker(m): 8:26pm On Dec 20, 2015
We knw say u get money to buy Phanton 5. Ojukokoro, wats my name doin dere nw?
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by kunlegboye(m): 8:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
Pls,as to reference to praying violently i dont see anytin wrong with that cos JESUS did that at a point in the garden of geseman... He must have prayed agonizingly that his sweet were like the drops of blood... On the other hand i dont think that the statement ws refering to prayer as well but rather the seriousness to be mindful of the things of heaven,like reading the Bible constantly,praying without season,not forsaking the assembly of the other believers and staying away from SIN etc....these things really need alot of determination which Jesus ws probably refering to as being violent!

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by sammieee(m): 8:31pm On Dec 20, 2015
Shout for joy is different from violence. I agree with your point about the scriptural ref that you made but i disagree with two of what u posted. Our God is not a deaf and dumb God. He hears everybody voice, being a sinner or a righteous. What He just hate is the sin in us. The second point is on tithe. According to Malachi 3 vs 10, God Himself says to we sons of Jacob (Isreal) that we should bring all tithe into the "storehouse" and he continue that we should prove Him now if He will not open the windows of heaven and pour out His blessings. If God Himself said this and He also say He exhort his words more than His name then it is left to you to pay ur tithe and offering or not. The most important thing is dat pay it to the right place. Let God lead you... He said we should prove Him. I will like to be corrected if am not making point...

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nauttyprof(m): 8:32pm On Dec 20, 2015
The introduction before this verse was on Jesus talking about John the Baptist. It's a verse that clearly talks about John the Baptist and the violent opposition faced as to the Kingdom matter. Remember, John the Baptist opposed the wrong act of Herod who married his brother's wife and because of this, it caused him his head. It was a violent attack against the Kingdom of God.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Funpeter: 8:38pm On Dec 20, 2015
Ojestas:
Congrats on your new tecno phantom5

You r asking a favor from God, u r shouting at him. . would u shout on your dad to ask for something or ask gently and politely?? i am sure a father would consider the later.

Well, i am not saying you should not pray aggressively, but not all prayers deserve aggression.

In some churches, if u don't shout, u ain't praying. . WFT !!

As much as i love to pray, i kinda dislike aggressive prayers.

Brother of life.......
Remember when christ was praying at gesemanee pardon the spelling please, the Bible says His sweat where like blood. Am just curious can someone be praying jeleke prayer on top of the mountain where you have free wind and be sweating?
Note: Have never taught of this before on seeing this topic thats what came to my mind.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Charlesdock(m): 8:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
We can pray anyhow crying out loud, quietly that is what made us christians. OP I understand your review but that doesn't mean we can't pray aggresively.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by tonysoul(m): 8:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.
Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple ( Leviticus 27:30 ;
Numbers 18:26 ; Deuteronomy 14:24 ; 2 Chronicles 31:5 ).

In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.

The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” ( 1 Corinthians 16:2 ). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give ( James 1:5 ).

Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” ( 2 Corinthians 9:7 ).

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Funpeter: 8:47pm On Dec 20, 2015
i dont know why we are over flogging this issue.Did God anwers those that pray aggressively or not?

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Ojestas(m): 8:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
Funpeter:
Brother of life.......
Remember when christ was praying at gesemanee pardon the spelling please, the Bible says His sweat where like blood. Am just curious can someone be praying jeleke prayer on top of the mountain where you have free wind and be sweating?
Note: Have never taught of this before on seeing this topic thats what came to my mind.
My boss, Funpeter... been a while! When Jesus was teaching his disciples how to pray, it was soft prayer... they didn't even close their eyes. . But i know some prayers might need some aggression, not all tho'
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by jossiwan(m): 8:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
If u av another interpretation to it, does not mean other interpretation is wrong... God speaks in diverse ways... He's not an author of confusion... Because other people sees things differently from you does not mean they are entirely wrong.

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 8:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
abitex577:
@Op, please don't just quote a verse of the scripture and draw up a conclusion, I advise even that particular scripture you should refer to other versions of Bible like New Living Translation, NIV, Message etc and above all ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. Mathew 11 shows how John the Baptist was put in prision for correcting Herod, and Christ actually testified of the personality of who John was and also reflected how the Kingdom of God is being attacked violently and only the violent/resolute/aggressive christian can make impact (John 11:12)
You do pitifully err

abitex577:
Have asked yourself why on the eve of Christ arrest and crucifixion while he was praying in the garden of Gethsemane, His sweat was like blood?
You need to get acquainted with the why, instead of suggesting others asking themselves why Jesus was praying in the garden of Gethsemane, and His sweat was like blood
Mind you it's not really about transfiguration
but rather He was there, apart from praying, for the act or an instance of transferring
and He had three of his inner caucus (i.e. Peter, James and John) to witness the act or an instance of transferring in the garden of Gethsemane

kunlegboye:
Pls, as to reference to praying violently i dont see anytin wrong with that cos JESUS did that at a point in the garden of geseman... He must have prayed agonizingly that his sweet were like the drops of blood...
Read the response below to abitex577

kunlegboye:
On the other hand i dont think that the statement ws refering to prayer as well but rather the seriousness to be mindful of the things of heaven, like reading the Bible constantly, praying without season, not forsaking the assembly of the other believers and staying away from SIN etc....
these things really need alot of determination which Jesus ws probably refering to as being violent!
Determination as to have the will power, strength of character, single-mindedness, sense of purpose, firmness of purpose, strength of will, doggedness to want to enter the Kingdom of Heaven via the ''narrow gate''
(i.e. as the gate is narrow, so you'll have to force your way in, you have no alternative that to force or press your way in)

Funpeter:
Brother of life.......
Remember when Christ was praying at Gethsemane, pardon the spelling please, the Bible says His sweat where like blood.
Am just curious can someone be praying jeleke prayer on top of the mountain where you have free wind and be sweating?
Read the response below to abitex577

abitex577:
Do you think, someone praying quietly will be sweating and His sweat will be like blood?
Dont you think so?
Sure of course, someone praying quietly will be sweating and His sweat will be like blood

Especially if it was dreading the cruelty of man He was about to face, undergo and experiece that triggered the hematohidrosis (i.e. sweating blood)

It is the replaying in the mind, the intense mental action of looking thoughtfully for a long period of time at the ''reception party'' man has drawn up for Jesus, that caused the blood sweats, which medically is called or known as hematohidrosis.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by olutunde12(m): 8:55pm On Dec 20, 2015
First, I dont see any correllation between a pastor preaching that should pray with aggression and somebody saying there is no God( aetist). Shouting when praying and claiming that people should pray silently are two different things. In Luke 11 verse 2, the disciples went to Jesus and said, " Lord, teach us how to pray" and Jesus said, " when you pray, SAY....." Here, he didnot say mummur or hummm or think but SAY. So shouting may not be necessary but we also need to talk out.

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 8:56pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:
When I see young people claim to be atheists or something of sort, I do not blame them but blame those preachers who have decided to be teaching is heresy and nothing more.

As I was reading through Nairaland beginning from 1:20pm on my newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5, I observed that many people have misrepresented the scriptures as penned down in Mathew 11:12

KJV:And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

The truth about this verse is simple; it does talk about aggressiveness or violence but it does not in any way talk about it in prayers as we have been told by most preachers.

The verse talks about how many from time past have been violent in preaching the message of the Kingdom of God and not even of Heaven o as some may conclude! The verse talks about how we as CHRISTIANS are supposed to be spread the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs.

The verse has been so misquoted that it is the first thing preachers use when they want to tell you to SHOUT, SCREAM, ROAR with NOISE before God hears you meanwhile the Bible has already stated why God doesn't hear people at times (SIN).

It is therefore imperative that we come to terms about God not being influenced by anyone's loud prayers or screams or shouts PR aggressiveness during prayers! It is unscriptural just like paying tithes to a pastor is for members of the Kingdom of God.

Let me stop writing here while I listen to those I read some comments from on my clean an clear Tecno Phantom 5 mobike phone and birth this Holy Spirit inspired rhema: MizMyColi, tosyne2much, YourMain, chibwike, DonChippy, TedBaker, Rukkydelta, precious91, sunnyclif and others :-)
OP am sorry to say this but u are totally wrong and have misinterpret that same verse itself

What the verse clearly illustrated is that the kingdom of God ain't as easy or sure bet for anyone again that now you must strive and work earnestly and endlessly before u can enter into heaven due to sin,iniquities and the abuse against God.....

Kingdom of God suffereth violence due to sins,disobedience,iniquities and persecution of Gods people
Only the violence taketh it by force fervent hardwork thru service,worship,praise,prayers and been righteous before
God

Note: During John the Baptist Era there was heavy persecution of Gods people

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Dbaroness(f): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:

Bros E ma binu, how is paying tithe unscriptural?
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by 2bey(m): 9:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
The phrase “suffereth violence” in this verse is translated from the Greek word “BIAZO,” and it means “to force, i.e. (reflexively) to crowd oneself (into), or (passively) to be seized” (Strong’s Concordance). The same Greek word was used in Luke 16:16 and was translated “presseth” there.

The idea that Jesus was communicating in both of these passages was that before the time of John the Baptist, the only way to approach unto God was through the Old Testament laws and sacrifices. In Jesus’ time, these had become cold and cumbersome rituals in which the heart of the people was far from God (Matthew 15:3-9). When John the Baptist came in the power of the Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:6), preaching a turning away from sin (Matthew 3:8 ) and faith in the coming Messiah (Matthew 3:11), multitudes, who previously were not actively seeking God, began flocking to the wilderness to be baptized by John, confessing their sins and putting their faith in the coming Messiah. They were truly “pressing in” to the kingdom of heaven, overcoming any obstacle or opposition posed by laws, traditions, unbelief, or any power Satan threw at them, in order to receive the message that John preached. They were “violently resolved” in their zeal and forcefully pressing in to the kingdom of heaven.

Today, as in the days of John the Baptist, Satan is opposing the preaching of the Gospel, and only those who are violently resolved to receive God’s best will have it (James 4:7).

2 Likes

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by vooks: 9:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
OP what's the big deal with a Tecno? Did you know that Tecno is one of the smallest phone manufacturers from China? I have contracted the Chinese and worked with them for years. They are madly in love with iPhones and Samsung. Hey just don't trust their own sh*t.

You will have truly matured when you will have used iPhone 6 Plus, HTC One M8, Galaxy Note 4 and Blackberry Q10 all in under 12 months like yours truly and you are least bothered.

Phones are status symbols for idiots and deranged broke-ass m0rons.

What were you saying?

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by executivegej: 9:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Instead of violence in that verse use 'pressing' or 'energetically seeking'.
One problem with that translation.

Believers must work hard to enter God's kingdom as though walking on narrow or cramped road. Persistence and endurance and self-sacrifice required. Matt 7:7, 8, 13, 14.

In summary, it will not be an easy task to enter into it. Forget anything about violence.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by omojeesu(m): 9:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:

IT MEANS

The kingdom is under attack from contrary forces, but those who enter the kingdom must forcefully do so against these contrary forces.

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by zyclef(m): 9:22pm On Dec 20, 2015
DonChippy:
Okay...are we supposed to start a debate? undecided

I still maintain the point i stated earlier which OP has clearly buttressed.

Pray quietly or get the fvck out of my side. grin
That right boss grin tongue grin
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by zyclef(m): 9:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
vooks:
OP what's the big deal with a Tecno? Did you know that Tecno is one of the smallest phone manufacturers from China? I have contracted the Chinese and worked with them for years. They are madly in love with iPhones and Samsung. Hey just don't trust their own sh*t.

You will have truly matured when you will have used iPhone 6 Plus, HTC One M8, Galaxy Note 4 and Blackberry Q10 all in under 12 months like yours truly and you are least bothered.

Phones are status symbols for idiots and deranged broke-ass m0rons.

What were you saying?
Sssshhh good one boss just passing but am loving it kikikikikiki moooooooorrrrrooooooon
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 9:25pm On Dec 20, 2015
kallmemrB:
OP am sorry to say this but u are totally wrong and have misinterpret that same verse itself

What the verse clearly illustrated is that the kingdom of God ain't as easy or sure bet for anyone again that now you must strive and work earnestly and endlessly before u can enter into heaven due to sin, iniquities and the abuse against God.....

Kingdom of God suffereth violence due to sins,disobedience,iniquities and persecution of Gods people
Only the violence taketh it by force fervent hardwork thru service, worship, praise, prayers and been righteous before God
The violent is used in the context of upon hearing about the Good News of the Kingdom of God from the days of John the Baptist to now, people forcing themselves in through the narrow gate to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

The ''suffereth'' has previously mentioned above means tolerate, allow, permit
Matthew 19:14, Luke 18:16 etcetera will help put the meaning of ''suffereth'' or ''suffer'' into pespective

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me:
for of such is the kingdom of heaven

- Matthew 19:14

But Jesus called them unto him, and said,
Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God
- Luke 18:16

This is an observational statement made by Jesus, noticed about the kingdom entries
(i.e. people are keen or eager to pressfully/forciably enter the kingdom though the gate is narrow)
and not a criteria statement of fervent hardwork thru service, worship, praise, prayers and been righteous before God for kingdom entry

kallmemrB:
Note: During John the Baptist Era there was heavy persecution of Gods people
You're mistaken
Before John the Baptist era there was heavy persecution of God's people
During John the Baptist era there was heavy persecution of God's people
After John the Baptist era there was heavy persecution of God's people
Now, there still is heavy persecution of God's people
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by omojeesu(m): 9:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:

The verse can be paraphrased as:

The Kingdom of Heaven is under the attack of contrary forces but anyone that wants to enter that kingdom must overcome the contrary forces.

Try reading it in other versions such as Amplified and Message versions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dami Mike-Bamiloye: Emmanuela Sent Message On Facebook To Me, Now She’s My Wife / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? / Before Your Son Brings Another Son As His Wife, Wake Up - Bishop Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.