Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,857 members, 7,810,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? (7178 Views)

How We Are To Have Sex With Our Wives In Accordance To Sunnah- Friday Lecture / What Do Muslims Belief Concerning Jesus Son Of Mary (peace Be Upon Him) / Fight Those Who Try To Stop You From Practising Islam – Sultan Of Sokoto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 6:50am On Dec 21, 2015
It was reported that prophet muhammad (saw) said that its good for one trousers to be above ones ankle.

This is a very good sunnah.. Let's look at its advantages..

It tells everybody that you are a muslim...
It will shy you away from bad behaviour or social vices
It will acree respect for you from every single living thing..
People will be looking up to you in religion morales and that will force you to know more about islam

Its also reported in hadith that people who refuses to practise this sunnah will get their leg from ankle downwards get burnt..

Allah knows best..

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dhateeboi(m): 10:41am On Dec 21, 2015
Whosoever refuses, no matter who?
Every other Muslim that do not cut their trouser above the ankle?
"Every"??

DeathStroke007:
It was reported that prophet muhammad (saw) said that its good for one trousers to be above ones ankle.

This is a very good sunnah.. Let's look at its advantages..

It tells everybody that you are a muslim...
It will shy you away from bad behaviour or social vices
It will acree respect for you from every single living thing..
People will be looking up to you in religion morales and that will force you to know more about islam

Its also reported in hadith that people who refuses to practise this sunnah will get their leg from ankle downwards get burnt..

Allah knows best..
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by babylolaroy(f): 12:04pm On Dec 21, 2015
dhateeboi:
Whosoever refuses, no matter who?
Every other Muslim that do not cut their trouser above the ankle?
"Every"??

what he is trying to say is an hadith. the prophet s.a.w said....maa asfala minal ka'baini minal izaar fafi nnar. whatever goes beyond the ankles of a male's wear is (to be burnt) in hell. its a sahih hadith. so dnt joke

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dhateeboi(m): 12:10pm On Dec 21, 2015
Does it seem like am joking?
Ofcos I know d hadith
What I'm only asking is, is it every muslim that do not cut his trouser above the ankle will have that part in hell?
No exceptions?

babylolaroy:

what he is trying to say is an hadith. the prophet s.a.w said....maa asfala minal ka'baini minal izaar fafi nnar. whatever goes beyond the ankles of a male's wear is (to be burnt) in hell. its a sahih hadith. so dnt joke
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 2:43pm On Dec 21, 2015
dhateeboi:
Whosoever refuses, no matter who? Every other Muslim that do not cut their trouser above the ankle? "Every"??

Insha Allah ..every muslim
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dhateeboi(m): 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2015
Even seyyidinaa Abubakar?
Who the prophet himself exempt?
For a reason!!
Then can't any other muslim fall into the reason with which the prophet has exempt his best friend?

DeathStroke007:

Insha Allah ..every muslim
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 6:18am On Dec 22, 2015
dhateeboi:

Even seyyidinaa Abubakar?
Who the prophet himself exempt?
For a reason!!
Then can't any other muslim fall into the reason with which the prophet has exempt his best friend?

Do you know why prophet (saw) exempt abubakr? Tell me if you know why
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by kazlaw2000: 4:18pm On Dec 22, 2015
DeathStroke007:

Do you know why prophet (saw) exempt abubakr? Tell me if you know why
If there is a reason, you tell us and also tell us why that cant apply to any other muslim.
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 6:26pm On Dec 22, 2015
kazlaw2000:

If there is a reason, you tell us and also tell us why that cant apply to any other muslim.

Empiree will surely do that..
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by Empiree: 6:53pm On Dec 22, 2015
DeathStroke007:

E.mpiree will surely do that..
grin grin grin
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 6:57pm On Dec 22, 2015
Empiree:
grin grin grin

abeg answer the guy question. I don't know how to explain it to make it clear to him.
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by Empiree: 7:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
DeathStroke007:

abeg answer the guy question. I don't know how to explain it to make it clear to him.
Whats the question?
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 7:26pm On Dec 22, 2015
Empiree:
Whats the question?

The reason why abubakar is exempt out of the sunnah of trouers..
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by Empiree: 7:45pm On Dec 22, 2015
DeathStroke007:

The reason why abubakar is exempt out of the sunnah of trousers..
Well, whats your take on this?.

“The scholars have mentioned a few different reasons why it is not correct for you to try to compare yourself with Abu Bakr As-Sideeq (radiallaahu ‘anhu)."

– Firstly, we don’t have a testimony as Abu Bakr did from the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) that he wasn’t doing it out of pride. The Prophet (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: You are not one doing it out of Pride. None of you have a testimony from the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) (saying) you’re not doing it out of pride. (That’s) number one.

– Number two, the ‘ulemma mention that it happened to Abu Bakr because of his thinness, he was a thin man. Very small (waist), and it was hard for him to keep his izaar up, and it used to fall.

– The third issue the ‘ulemma mention is that he was striving to keep it up! He wasn’t just letting it all hang out and down like this. He was striving to keep it up.

– [Fourthly,] they (the scholars) also mention another narration that the Prophet mentioned that isbal itself is nakhyila – isbal itself is arrogance. The ‘ulemma mentioned that at the very least it leads to arrogance…”

I also think that there is a twisted misunderstanding of this issue of trousers below the ankle. I think it is taken too literal though. I safe that for later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by kazlaw2000: 9:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
Empiree:

I also think that there is a twisted misunderstanding of this issue of trousers below the ankle. I think it is taken too literal though. I safe that for later.
. Wallaahi thats also my view. This hadiith of Abubakr throws up some questions. Firsy, why couldnt Abubakr just shorten his Izar. I see from the Hadiith, he purposely came to the prophet to seek an exemption and he was granted. The prophet assured him he was not AMONG THOSE DOING IT OUT OF PRIDE. Could it be that not everybody doing 'Isbaal' is doing it out of pride? Also 'Izaar' that is mentioned in those Ahadiith is a wrapper and not like the present day trousers. I believe both trousers and 'izaar' existed then because I came across and hadiith of ibn Abbaass where he said anybody that cant find an 'izaar' should pray in a trousers. Why was the holy prophet mentioning izaar? Or did he also mention trousers? Perhaps because of the trailing nature of 'Izaar' if its too long. That's clearly wasteful and full of pride. Maybe that's what the holy prophet was warning against and exonerating Abubakr from and not as we understand it today. Wallaahu a'lam. My view anyway.

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dhateeboi(m): 11:24pm On Dec 22, 2015
If seyyidina Abubakar's trouser was one placed at nisf-shak, how thin could he be that his trouser will now fall below his ankle?

Is placing trouser at nifs-shak really inculcated by the sahabas?

Empiree:
Well, whats your take on this?.

“The scholars have mentioned a few different reasons why it is not correct for you to try to compare yourself with Abu Bakr As-Sideeq (radiallaahu ‘anhu)."

– Firstly, we don’t have a testimony as Abu Bakr did from the Prophet (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) that he wasn’t doing it out of pride. The Prophet (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: You are not one doing it out of Pride. None of you have a testimony from the Messenger of Allaah (salallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) (saying) you’re not doing it out of pride. (That’s) number one.

– Number two, the ‘ulemma mention that it happened to Abu Bakr because of his thinness, he was a thin man. Very small (waist), and it was hard for him to keep his izaar up, and it used to fall.

– The third issue the ‘ulemma mention is that he was striving to keep it up! He wasn’t just letting it all hang out and down like this. He was striving to keep it up.

– [Fourthly,] they (the scholars) also mention another narration that the Prophet mentioned that isbal itself is nakhyila – isbal itself is arrogance. The ‘ulemma mentioned that at the very least it leads to arrogance…”

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
Abubakr was said to have an issue with his waist and his izar was always falling or getting lowered from one side of his waist & he'll pick it up !

there are various hadeeth on this and the texts are clear quite clear no matter how you chose to twist it in order to run away from it.

you're saying the texts are too literal? the Prophet always explains and exemplifies the commandments.

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 1:03pm On Dec 24, 2015

narrated by Tabarani, the Prophet –peace and blessing upon him- saw a man whose garments were below the ankles, he ordered him: “Raise your waist-wrap!” The man said: “I have an ailment in my legs; my knees collide with each other.” He peace be upon him, replied: “Raise your garment because all of the creation of Allah is beautiful.”

.....it is clear in this hadith this man was not doing this
due to pride yet still he was ordered to raise his garments.

Ibn Majah, Nasai and Ibn Hibban narrate with a sound chain that: Mughirah ibn Shubah said: “I saw the Messenger of Allah , peace and blessings upon him, seized the wrap of Sufyan ibn Suhail, saying: ‘O Sufyan do not lower garments below the ankles, verily Allah detests those who lower their garments below the ankles (Laa Tusbil fa-inna-allaha laa yuhibbu-l-Musbileen).

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
[b]

ﻋَﻦْ ﺃَﺑِﻰ ﺫَﺭٍّ ﻋَﻦِ ﺍﻟﻨَّﺒِﻰِّ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺛَﻼَﺛَﺔٌ ﻻَ ﻳُﻜَﻠِّﻤُﻬُﻢُ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ
ﻳَﻮْﻡَ ﺍﻟْﻘِﻴَﺎﻣَﺔِ ﻭَﻻَ ﻳَﻨْﻈُﺮُ ﺇِﻟَﻴْﻬِﻢْ ﻭَﻻَ ﻳُﺰَﻛِّﻴﻬِﻢْ ﻭَﻟَﻬُﻢْ ﻋَﺬَﺍﺏٌ ﺃَﻟِﻴﻢٌ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﻓَﻘَﺮَﺃَﻫَﺎ
ﺭَﺳُﻮﻝُ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪِ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﺛَﻼَﺙَ ﻣِﺮَﺍﺭٍ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺃَﺑُﻮ ﺫَﺭٍّ ﺧَﺎﺑُﻮﺍ
ﻭَﺧَﺴِﺮُﻭﺍ ﻣَﻦْ ﻫُﻢْ ﻳَﺎ ﺭَﺳُﻮﻝَ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪِ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺍﻟْﻤُﺴْﺒِﻞُ ﻭَﺍﻟْﻤَﻨَّﺎﻥُ ﻭَﺍﻟْﻤُﻨَﻔِّﻖُ ﺳِﻠْﻌَﺘَﻪُ
ﺑِﺎﻟْﺤَﻠِﻒِ ﺍﻟْﻜَﺎﺫِﺏِ . - ﻣﺴﻠﻢ ﺣـ153 ﺗﺮﻣﺬﻱ ﺣـ 1132 ﻧﺴﺎﺋﻲ ﺣـ2516 ﺍﺑﻮ
ﺩﺍﺅﺩ ﺣـ3565 ﺍﺑﻦ ﻣﺎﺟﻪ ﺣـ 2199 ﺍﺣﻤﺪ ﺣـ 20355 ﺩﺍﺭﻣﻲ ﺣـ 2491
Abu Zarr (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said:
"There are three people whom Allah (swt) will not speak to,
look at, or cleanse on the day of judgement and for them is
a harsh punishment." The Blessed Prophet (saw) said this
thrice. Then Abu Zarr (ra) asked, "They are certainly
unsuccessful and destroyed. Who are they, O Blessed
Prophet?" He(saw) replied, "The one who hangs his izaar
below his ankles, the one who reminds another of his favors
upon him, and one who makes false oaths to sell his items."
ﻋَﻦِ ﺍﺑْﻦِ ﻋَﺒَّﺎﺱٍ ﻋَﻦِ ﺍﻟﻨَّﺒِﻰِّ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺇِﻥَّ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪَ ﻋَﺰَّ ﻭَﺟَﻞَّ ﻻَ
ﻳَﻨْﻈُﺮُ ﺇِﻟَﻰ ﻣُﺴْﺒِﻞِ . - ﻧﺴﺎﺋﻲ ﺣـ 5337 ﺍﺣﻤﺪ ﺣـ 2803
Ibn Abbas (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said:
"Allah (swt) will not look upon a person who hung his izaar
below his ankles."
ﻋَﻦْ ﺃَﺑِﻰ ﻫُﺮَﻳْﺮَﺓَ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺭَﺳُﻮﻝُ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪِ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ ﻣَﺎ ﺗَﺤْﺖَ
ﺍﻟْﻜَﻌْﺒَﻴْﻦِ ﻣِﻦَ ﺍﻹِﺯَﺍﺭِ ﻓَﻔِﻰ ﺍﻟﻨَّﺎﺭِ . - ﻧﺴﺎﺋﻲ ﺣـ 5235 ﺍﺣﻤﺪ ﺣـ 7155
Abu Hurairah (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said:
"Whatever hangs beneath the ankles of the izaar is in the
hellfire."
ﻋَﻦِ ﺍﻟْﻌَﻼَﺀِ ﺑْﻦِ ﻋَﺒْﺪِ ﺍﻟﺮَّﺣْﻤَﻦِ ﻋَﻦْ ﺃَﺑِﻴﻪِ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺳَﺄَﻟْﺖُ ﺃَﺑَﺎ ﺳَﻌِﻴﺪٍ ﺍﻟْﺨُﺪْﺭِﻯَّ ﻋَﻦِ
ﺍﻹِﺯَﺍﺭِ ﻓَﻘَﺎﻝَ ﻋَﻠَﻰ ﺍﻟْﺨَﺒِﻴﺮِ ﺳَﻘَﻄْﺖَ ﻗَﺎﻝَ ﺭَﺳُﻮﻝُ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪِ ﺻﻠﻰ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻋﻠﻴﻪ ﻭﺳﻠﻢ
ﺇِﺯْﺭَﺓُ ﺍﻟْﻤُﺴْﻠِﻢِ ﺇِﻟَﻰ ﻧِﺼْﻒِ ﺍﻟﺴَّﺎﻕِ ﻭَﻻَ ﺣَﺮَﺝَ ﺃَﻭْ ﻻَ ﺟُﻨَﺎﺡَ ﻓِﻴﻤَﺎ ﺑَﻴْﻨَﻪُ ﻭَﺑَﻴْﻦَ
ﺍﻟْﻜَﻌْﺒَﻴْﻦِ ﻣَﺎ ﻛَﺎﻥَ ﺃَﺳْﻔَﻞَ ﻣِﻦَ ﺍﻟْﻜَﻌْﺒَﻴْﻦِ ﻓَﻬُﻮَ ﻓِﻰ ﺍﻟﻨَّﺎﺭِ ﻣَﻦْ ﺟَﺮَّ ﺇِﺯَﺍﺭَﻩُ ﺑَﻄَﺮﺍً ﻟَﻢْ
ﻳَﻨْﻈُﺮِ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﺇِﻟَﻴْﻪِ . - ﺍﺑﻮ ﺩﺍﺅﺩ ﺣـ 3570 ﻣﺆﻃﺄ ﻣﺎﻟﻚ ﺣـ 1426 ﺍﺣﻤﺪ
ﺣـ 11489 ﺍﺑﻦ ﻣﺎﺟﻪ ﺣـ 3573
Alaa bin Abdul Rahman (ra) narrates from his father who
asked Abu Saeed Khudri (ra) about the izaar. He replied,"You
have fallen upon one who knows." The Blessed Prophet
(saw) said: "The izaar of a Muslim is halfway to the leg and
there is no harm in that which comes between the knee and
the ankle. Whatever hangs below the ankle is in the hellfire.
Whoever drags his izaar in arrogance, Allah (swt) does not
look at him."

[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2015
so I don't know what's so ambiguous or confusing about the texts except that those who refuse to heed it are either being arrogant or doing it out of ignorance, out of pride and fear of being seen by people.

and it's surprising that someone is asking if the companions followed the injunctions? who reported the ahadeeth?
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 5:38pm On Dec 24, 2015
people find it difficult to follow prophet Muhammad (saw) and find it easy to follow their Alfa

you go see plenty tasbeeh upon their neck
you go see them dress like a musician

let people identity you as a Muslim through your dressing

let your trouser's be above your ankle

3 Likes

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by Empiree: 4:44pm On Dec 25, 2015
First all, i have no problem with pant being above the ankles.

Secondly, I dont believe it's a major a sin (where did prophet- saw say that?). Major sins are mentioned in the Quran (and established tafsir) and the Sunna. I only hear about pant(trouser) below ankle being major sin in recent years. Thats false in my opinion. This is why some Sufis snubbed when salafis make noise over it. They are very correct though.

Thirdly, when i was on fb years ago, a brother from nija said he would not give his daughter in marriage to a brother whose pant(trouser) is below the ankle. Isnt this extremism?. Is trouser below the ankle criteria to determine whom to give your daughter?. The answer is no. [al-Baqarah 2:221]. Al-Baghawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allah Alone)” – there is consensus on this point: it is not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a mushrik man.

Where is "trouser below the ankle" criteria in this?.

Fourthly, isn't hypocritical when you people criticize nominal Muslims and opposing view while in fact, if you pay close attention to Saudi muftis and some salafis brothers, their garments drag. Note, it's not just trouser. Trouser is mere euphemism of saying any gown/garment you wear.

Now, watch Saudi muftis' break dance grin shocked and pay attention to their gowns as well. Obviously if they dont hold it up it would drag definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2zmKIUJ2g

How do you enjoy the dance? grin I dey enjoy am grin
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by Empiree: 5:34pm On Dec 25, 2015
kazlaw2000:
. Wallaahi thats also my view. This hadiith of Abubakr throws up some questions. Firsy, why couldnt Abubakr just shorten his Izar.
That's very good observation. Like brother Numan Ali Khan once said: "Why not simply trim your trouser instead of rolling it up every time of salat?"

I see from the Hadiith, he purposely came to the prophet to seek an exemption and he was granted. The prophet assured him he was not AMONG THOSE DOING IT OUT OF PRIDE. Could it be that not everybody doing 'Isbaal' is doing it out of pride?
That's just it

Also 'Izaar' that is mentioned in those Ahadiith is a wrapper and not like the present day trousers. I believe both trousers and 'izaar' existed then because I came across and hadiith of ibn Abbaass where he said anybody that cant find an 'izaar' should pray in a trousers.
No doubt. That's why i said in my earlier post that "trousers" could have been euphemism for any type of garment.

Why was the holy prophet mentioning izaar? Or did he also mention trousers? Perhaps because of the trailing nature of 'Izaar' if its too long. That's clearly wasteful and full of pride. Maybe that's what the holy prophet was warning against and exonerating Abubakr from and not as we understand it today. Wallaahu a'lam. My view anyway.
I have concluded that "Izaar" could have simply means garments, abaya, Jibab etc. Whatever is it should be above the ankle. There is nothing wrong exploring hadith and verses of Quran unlike our brothers dragnet and co. They usually take face value of text and reject opposing view. They rad religious text like like magazine (mechanical). That's just too bad.

"Wearing garments that hang below the ankles" is the first of the so-called "common errors" listed in the "Salafi" manual entitled "Errors in Prayers that must be Avoided." This manual is filled with proofs that the "Salafis" are misguided and misguiding propagators of errors in the guise of corrections.

It is a more than adequate illustration of their delusion that their method of reading and interpreting the hadith in "happy-go-lucky" fashion, as if it were a newspaper, regardless of the prescriptions of hadith methodology, will save them from error. How can something save them from error which proceeds from pride to begin with -- since they insist on relying on their own wits rather than on what better minds than theirs have understood from the same evidence?

They have misunderstood the caution of the Prophet against vestimentary pride to consist solely in a point about ankle-length. However, there are those who wear their bottoms of their trousers cut short and strut with as much pride as the pagans of Jahiliyya meant by the very hadith they claim to follow. The sin does not consist in the length of the cloth but in the hidden pride it fosters:

`Abd Allah ibn Mas`ud said that the Prophet said: "He will not enter the Garden of Paradise who has an atom's worth of pride in his heart." A man said: "What about someone who likes handsome clothes and handsome sandals?" The Prophet replied: "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty. Pride is refusing to admit the truth and having contempt for people."

Muslim states

Narrated Abu Dharr: The Messenger of Allah observed: "Three are the (persons) with whom Allah would neither speak on the Day of Resurrection, nor would look at them nor would absolve them, and there is a painful chastisement for them." The Messenger of Allah repeated it three times. Abu Dharr remarked: "They failed and they lost; who are these persons, Messenger of Allah?" Upon this he observed: "They are: the one who makes (his garment) hang down on the ground (al-musbil), the recounter of obligation, and the seller of goods by false oath."

Muslim narrates directly afterwards another version from Abu Dharr where the loin-wrap or lower garment (izar) is explicitly mentioned.

The following are Imam Nawawi's, Ibn Qudama's, and Ibn Hajar's commentaries on the various hadiths on this chapter. It will be seen in the light of their views that there is no basis whatsoever in these hadiths for the preposterous statement of the "Salafis" whereby "the above and many other traditions indicate clearly that wearing clothes that hang below the ankles for men is a grave sin regardless of whether such garments are worn out of habit or pride." Observe, dear reader, the sharp difference between the keen sight of the true ulama and the myopic sight of the rest:

Nawawi states

As for the Prophet's saying: "the one who makes his garment hang down on the ground" then its meaning is: The one who lets it down and drags its extremity out of arrogance (khayla') as has been mentioned by way of explanation (of the same phrase) in the other hadith [in Bukhari and Muslim]: "Allah will not look at a person who drags his lower garment in arrogance." Khayla' is self-aggrandizement (kibar), and this restricted (muqayyad) meaning of letting down the garment as consisting in dragging it (al-jarr) out of arrogance reduces the general sense of the person who lets down the lower garment to a specific sense and indicates that the one meant by the threat of punishment is the one who does so out of arrogance.
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2015
Sincerely, I dont know where to start refuting you because you've just muffled the whole thing up.
The one that choses not to give his daughter/sister to the one that does isbal is right because he doesnt want to marry off his protege to the person who Allaah would not look at, would not purify and who would have a painful torment on the day of judgement as stated in the hadeeth of the prophet. So there's no blame on him.
and Yes is a major sin because one of the characteristics of major sins is their being punished with the fire and this has been stated multiple times and if it's not so important, why would Allaah derogate such a person with all the above stated punishments?!
So Muftis and brothers are evidences to do isbal? against what the prophet says? salafiyyah is about holding on to the texts irrespective of the individuals countenance. If they know the evidences and chose not to follow it, their affairs rest with Allaah.
.Quoting Nouman Khan? the selfie celebrity "scholar" ...you must be kidding!

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
There's no confusion in the texts except for the one who isn't sincere or the one whom Allaah hasnt opened his heart or the one who has chosen to follow his desires over the commandment of Allaah.
The next post does justice to this issue and should be my last on it.

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:19pm On Dec 26, 2015

Ruling on wearing one’s clothes below one’s ankles

Assalamu Alaikum

A brother was telling me that wearing clothing below the ankles is haram and that there are many hadiths that prove this. I would appreciate your opinion on this matter.

Jazakallah

#################################

Praise be to Allaah.
What your friend has told you is true. Many ahaadeeth were reported from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which forbid isbaal (wearing one’s clothes below the ankles), for example:

Al-Bukhaari reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whatever of the izaar (lower garment) is below the ankles is in the Fire." (al-Bukhaari, no. 5787)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: " There are three whom Allaah will not look at or praise on the Day of Judgement and theirs will be a painful punishment: the one who wears his garment below his ankles, the one who reminds others of his favours, and the one who sells his product by means of making false oaths" (reported by Muslim, no. 106).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: " Isbaal (wearing one’s garment below the ankles) may apply to the izaar (lower garment), the shirt or the turban. Whoever allows any part of these to trail on the ground out of arrogance, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Judgement ." (reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4085, and al-Nisaa’i, no. 5334, with a saheeh isnaad).

Ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: " Allaah will not look at the one who wears his lower garment below his ankles ." (Reported by al-Nisaa’i in al-Mujtabaa, Kitaab al-Zeenah, Baab Isbaal al-Izaar).

Hudhayfah said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) took hold of the muscle of my calf (or his calf) and said, ‘This is where the izaar should stop; if you insist, it may be lower, but it should not reach the ankles.’" (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, who said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth; see Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 1783)

All of the ahaadeeth quoted above speak against isbaal, whether or not the intention is to show off; but if a person does this deliberately out of arrogance, there is no doubt that his sin is greater. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah will not look at the one who trails his izaar on the ground out of pride." (al-Bukhaari, no. 5788)

Jaabir ibn Sulaym said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: ‘Beware of wearing one’s lower garment below the ankles, because this is a kind of showing-off, and Allaah does not love showing-off.’" (Regarded as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2722).

No one is able to be completely free of pride and arrogance, even if he claims that this is so. Such a claim is unacceptable, because by saying it, he is praising himself. Only in the case of those whom the wahy (revelation) testified that they were free of pride do we believe that this is the case. For example, there is a hadeeth which states that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection." Abu Bakr said to him, "O Messenger of Allaah, my izaar slips down if I do not pay attention to it." He said: "You are not one of those who do it out of pride." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 5784)

What indicates that isbaal is prohibited even if it is not done out of pride is the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The lower garment of the Muslim should come down to mid-calf, but there is nothing wrong if it is between that point and the ankles. Whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire. Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him. " (Reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4093, with a saheeh isnaad.)

These ahaadeeth describe two different deeds, for which there will be two different punishments:
Imaam Ahmad reported that Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Ya’qoob said: "I asked Abu Sa’eed: ‘Did you hear anything from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the izaar (lower garment)?’ he said, ‘Yes, listen! ‘The izaar of the believer should come to mid-calf, although there is nothing wrong if it comes between there and the ankles, but whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire,’ and he said it three times."

Ibn ‘Umar said: "I passed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and my izaar had slipped down. He said, ‘O ‘Abdullaah, pull up your izaar!’ so I pulled it up. He said, ‘More!’ so I pulled it up more, and always made sure it was pulled up properly after that." Some people asked, "To where did you pull it up?" He said, "To mid-calf length." (Reported by Muslim, no. 2086; al-Dhahabi, Kitaab al-Kabaa’ir, 131-132)

The issue of isbaal applies to women just as much as it applies to men. This is indicated by the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him.’ Umm Salamah said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, what should women do with their hems?’ He said, ‘Let them go down a handspan.’ She asked, ‘What if their feet show?’ He said, ‘Let them lengthen it by a cubit, but no more.’" (al-Nisaa'i, Kitaab al-zeenah, Baab dhuyool al-nisaa’).

The punishment for showing off may come to pass in this world, not in the Hereafter. Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whilst a man was walking arrogantly admiring himself and his clothes, Allaah caused the earth to swallow him and he is suffering in it until the Day of Resurrection." (Reported by Muslim, no. 2088).
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

https://islamqa.info/en/762

The shubuhaat of showing off is cleared by this hadeeth where the Prophet expressly stated that the act of trailing the garment below the ankle is in itself showing off!
Jaabir ibn Sulaym said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: ‘Beware of wearing one’s lower garment below the ankles, because this is a kind of showing-off, and Allaah does not love showing-off.’" (Regarded as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2722).

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
It was also narrated that while on the deathbed about to die after being stabbed, Umar still rebuked a man for trailing his grment below the ankle, if it wasn't so important or grievous, why would a dying man still have time to think of rebuking it?

2 Likes

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:25pm On Dec 26, 2015
I can only pray that Allaah guides me and you before the sun rises from the west otherwise your hate for salafiyyaah and love for the sufi path would only lead to destruction.
Sufficient is the path of the pious predecessors that have gone before us, striving to be like them because we can't be better than them and also understanding the texts as they did and stopping were they stopped.

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2015
the texts are clear and free of errors, the one that doesnt understand them should strive to do so instead of negating them.
Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
and you're bothered when it is stated that the person praying in isbaal's solaah wont be accepted? remember hadeeth 10 of annawaawi? the one who eats haraam, drinks haram and is clothed in haram, couldnt it fall under this? moreso there's also a direct hadeeth regarding it.

The hadith in Sunnan Abu Daud, hadith no.638, Bab al-Isbal fi al-Salah: Abu Hurairah narrates that: “A man was praying with his garment below his ankles when the Messenger of Allah , peace and blessings upon him, said: ‘Go and repeat your Wudu.’ So the man went and did his Wudu and returned. The Messenger (peace and blessings upon him) again said: ‘Go and repeat your Wudu.’ So the
man went and repeated his Wudu and returned. The man asked: ‘O Messenger of Allah what is it that you told him to do Wudu (again) and then you did not say anything?’ The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings upon him) said: ‘He was praying with his garment below his ankles, verily Allah (may His mention be magnified) does not accept the prayer of a man who lowers his garments.’”

Some have challenged the authenticity of this hadith. The fact is the hadith is sound and has also been narrated by Imam Bayhaqi in his Sunnan, vol.2 p342, Kitab Karahiyyat Isbal al-Izar fi-Salah. Imam Nawawi in Riyad al-Salihin has
confirmed that it is Sahih, hadith no.797.

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by dragnet: 5:46pm On Dec 26, 2015
I advice that you don't respond to posts just because you must say something or just because you want to oppose the salafis at all costs, this would be detrimental than beneficial in most cases because it would lead to denying some of the sha'aair of islaam and I hope you know what that means.

1 Like

Re: Are You Practising Sunnah Concerning Trousers(male)? by DeathStroke007(m): 5:59pm On Dec 26, 2015
of course dey understand, they just won't accept it ni... na why i no following me them argue again

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ruling On Celebrating Valentine Day / Prayer For Rain / 3 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.