Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? (56523 Views)

How To Make Money Drop Shipping/importing From Nigeria Without Capital / Which Other Business Can You Do Than Buying Real Estate / China To Start Importing From Nigeria - Emefiele, CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobojoshua(m): 1:01am On Jan 04, 2016
bobo65:

I'm working with my dad and we ship in thousands from China
I'm currently in abuja serving, when Im done I'll be back to lag to do full time Biz

My advice,
The site u buy from are like jumia here in Nigeria, they help ppl advertise their goods so they add much money so they could get their gain e.g aliexpress n co

Pm me, I can help u with contacts, tho we sell electronics but the China contacts might know someone DAT sell wt u want

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 04, 2016
Do you have a project you want to outsource it could be from fiverr,elance,amazon kindle,upwork,personal project or servie,or you got many jobs on your table and many more connect with freelancers in today and get those multiple assignments, tasks and projects off your table on our BB channel,Our freelancers would bring you quality and professional service to save you time and stress of completing daunting tasks to meet up with your ever demanding schedules daily. Categories of jobs our freelancers can deliever include programming, copywriting, graphics design, webmasters,article writing,logo creation etc
We respect your privacy and we are professionals who get job done on time and perfectly.
Join us now bbm channel:C0043E45F
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Malleek(m): 1:42am On Jan 04, 2016
kai who talk say #100 is 435cfa... dat guy is sick in d head. now is half of dat oga. be sure of infor bt u post if nt u fit jail urself.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Atmmachine(m): 2:04am On Jan 04, 2016
Buy on Alibaba or Aliexpress.
They sell very cheap products and the ship for free.
I bought a necklace for $5 and the shipped it for free from China to the USA, lol.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by sompsonz(m): 3:26am On Jan 04, 2016
Too much ado about nothing I must say .. I am very sure op yaf ended up confused after advice from left and centre !!!
Op you do the math yasf some ppl r selling biscuits n sweets and are making it from there whilst some others have tried the same business and closed up !!
Plot the right graph ..
Mk a good research ...
Finally don't expect anyone to really tell you the secret success to his biz even you wouldn't .
You must figure out yours !!
I wish you success this year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobo65(m): 5:04am On Jan 04, 2016
erico2k2:

I want to buy goods of 15M. You are seriously asking me to out my faith on some persons in china to source goods,seriously? ?

15m na change bro

Enter idi oro Mushin in Lagos state and ask

Ppl send over 50m to a guy they havent met

Its all bout trust yo

And u can trust a Chinese man, but u gotta ask questions

For example , u wanna buy a battery, u gotta ask him if the "mah" encrypted " on the body of the battery is its real capacity, they will gladly tell u if it is or if its not
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by thunderbabs: 5:23am On Jan 04, 2016
Mistake pple mk in dz mini-importation biz is dey fail or do not consider the prevailing dollar xchange rate bfore buying goods...

When d gurus advertise, dey use samples frm when dollar wz N160

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Turbocharged: 5:44am On Jan 04, 2016
muhammed001:

Well, is not every mini importer that can raise this kind of money in the first place and I bet you you will find that same type of shoe at a very cheaper price in lagos.

You guys are just decieving urselves in the name of importing. How can some1 who has less than N300,000 want to venture into importatation? It all boil than to pride and misguided ambition.
There are a lot of things u can do with 50k or less and make more profit.
By the way, u guys are contributing to the death of Naija economy
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by pricelessmr: 6:03am On Jan 04, 2016
acorntree:
ive also being wondering how people make profit with the mini importation business.Not all products are cheaper to sell here. You have to do your homework very well. For you to make enough profit in this mini importation business you have to order large quantity of what ever you are buying and need to negotiate the price with the seller very well. note you have to be selective in what you order. for me I only order electronics components in bulk with free shipping and its cheaper than buying in Lagos. I've tried other tangible goods like electronics before but its always loses upon loses. if one is not careful one will just be working for the bank(with high exchange rate), the seller and alibaba.

Please where do you buy your electronic components in large quantities with free shipping?

How do you ensure that the parts are of good quality considering the sensitivity of electronic components. And do you import for resell, production or both?

I ask because we're into use of some electronic parts for custom production.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obynolee(f): 6:28am On Jan 04, 2016
MRBrownJ:

so you actually do think that there is a "secret" formula to success?!?!?!?!?! BWAAAAAAAAH, very funny!
telling someone where they can get bulk items in China is NOT a secret, far from it, as this info is all over the internet for all to see.

sadly, in any businesses (whether big or small) you have to use your brain at all times and work towards improving the business. so, if having a partner can help your business with A) sharing the cost of shipping and B) lower the cost of that said bulk product, then why shouldnt you tell people where you get your products (and possibly have a partnership with them)?

there is nothing "natural" (or rewarding) about not wanting to tell someone where they can get a product in bulk, while YOU dont sell in bulk. it makes absolutely NO sense!

You are wrong, what if you don't need partner?,you need to understand that there are great difference between theory and practical.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ib22003(m): 6:59am On Jan 04, 2016
Dear OP its just bussiness those in lagos buy directly from the manufacturers atimes,whoes minimum order is 1 whole 20ft container. so they can sell at same price with those in the market in china.Am in india and atimes i have to travel long distances to place to help people buy goods from the manufacturers but its always worth it. You have to invest more but its always far cheaper. its bussiness the more you buy the better the price the more the profit. if you want to ressell to does in the market, you have to buy quantity. let me give you an example.i bought some designer shirts about 200 pieces from a manufacturer in india here, i had to travel for 15hours to get there.when i got back to my city and priced the shirt in a botique it was 500% more that the price i saw.Dont think of china only also. usa, uk, italy, india, bangladesh, turkey.there are many places that you can import good products from.
muhammed001:
Hello everyone please I need your advice and encouragement on this mini importation business because i am really facing problems on this importation biz.

What I found out now is that the things I import are always cheaper at lagos

Because my first order was 30 watches and after buying them I found out that they are even cheaper in lagos than importing them because I want to sell them on wholesale price.

My next order was tummy slimming waist trainer for women. When I received the samples I said let me go and look for buyers that will buy it on wholesale before importing them
When I got there I found out that my price is higher than lagos price.
Even the price I bought it is higher than lagos price not to talk of adding profit.

please how can one really make money from this mini importation biz?
I am buying from 1688
Please help me with a solution to this problem or is there anything I am thinking wrong?

The goods are always cheap in china but when you calculate the total cost price of the goods and shipping fee, you will found out that is very expensive when compared to the price of lagos.

Then you will start saying that buying from lagos is even cheaper than buying from china. So now, what is the big deal on importing from china or uk/us when we can even get it cheaper in lagos?

Info marketers will always show you the prices of the goods in china but they will not include the shipping fee.
Sometimes the shipping fee can even multiply the cost of the goods * 4 and above.

Please your contributions are highly welcomed.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ib22003(m): 7:00am On Jan 04, 2016
who told you so.Every importer started small. as long as you are not leaving the country 300k is very okay
Turbocharged:

You guys are just decieving urselves in the name of importing. How can some1 who has less than N300,000 want to venture into importatation? It all boil than to pride and misguided ambition.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by baba11(m): 7:38am On Jan 04, 2016
Importation is profitable if you follow the nitty-gritty of it.First, go to the market may be where you intend to sell it an ask about the price,then go to their site and check out every products you want to buy.Make sure you contact the sellers and chat with him for any discount he might give you.I think those that say it's not profitable are not doing their home work very well.

As a case study,when I want to buy my tablet,i checked out different shops in Ikeja and enquired about the price,since I know it..I went online and search for my desirable choice of tablet... to say I saw many of them is an understatement.Finally, I chose one.

Infact,this particular one has more features than the ones @ the VILLAGE.

To summarise it, when I imported it,everything I spent including the agent fees(since I was first timer then) was less than the amount of it here I.e half its price

This particular one has dual boot setup while the one in naija can only work in windows interface mode whereas mine can toggle between windows and android OSes.

I think importers run at a loss due to their lack of diligent study and dollar to naira exchange rate.

But,anybody importing should know that THEY DO NOT PROVIDE CUSTOMER SERVICE.... SO IF IT GET DAMAGE WHILE USING OR SOLD IT,YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. shocked
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by acorntree(m): 8:10am On Jan 04, 2016
pricelessmr:

Please where do you buy your electronic components in large quantities with free shipping?

How do you ensure that the parts are of good quality considering the sensitivity of electronic components. And do you import for resell, production or both?

I ask because we're into use of some electronic parts for custom production.

aliexpress.com . i ordered to resell. you search for sellers that deal in only electronics components. first order for few samples ,later you can place large order. the secret is when placing large order you can always bargain with the seller to drastically reduce the price. also when searching , search based on the free shipping cheapest and most ordered. you know 1millon ic may not even weigh up to 2kg and also package in antistatic. with time you buy outside aliexpress platform and deal directly with the seller to remove 5% aliexpress charges, but that's based on trust

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Nobody: 8:42am On Jan 04, 2016
AM INTO THE IMPROTATION BUSINESS AND I CAN SAY WHEN I STARTED I LOST CLOSE TO N60,000 REASON BEING I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO

1. TALK TO THE SELLER TO DRASTICALLY REDUCE THE PRICE

1B. IF YOU THINK THAT SELLERS DONT COMMUNICATE, YOU ARE SLEEPING ON OKADA, THEY DO AND SOMETIMES THEY OWN STORES WITH DIFFERENT NAMES ON ALIEXPRESS. IMAGINE IF YOU BUY HIGH AT HIGH PRICES FROM HIM, YOU CANT GET A BETTER TRADE FROM HIM OR HIS FRIEND ON THE NEXT ORDER

2 SELLER SOLD ME SUBSTANDARD PRODUCTS

3. SHIPPED IT IN THROUGH EXPRESS SHIPPING FROM CHRISVICMALL(NOTE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF SHIPPING, IF YOU GOT NO BUYERS AVAILABLE FOR THIS, ITS NOT ADVISEABLE AS A BUSINESSMAN TO DO THIS, (WHY ARE BANKS EMPLOYING CONTRACT STAFFS, TO MAXIMISE PROFIT AND MINIMISE COST)

4. ORDERED LITTLE QUANTITY

5. DIDNT DO RESEARCH ENOUGH BEFORE I ENTERED INTO THE BUSINESS

6. DIDNT PUT IN PLACE THE CURRENT EXCHANGE RATE THE BANK CHARGED ME, WAS JUST HYPED FOR THE PROFIT AND I MADE A LOSS

7. DIDNT KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE IN KG THE AMOUNT OF SHIPPING

WHAT I LATER LEARNT IN THE BUSINESS IN THE LONGRUN WAS THAT

1. If those Chinese suppliers know you new to the business, their main aim is to exploit you.

2. Once you get a few samples of that particular product, be it 5 ordered at quite a high price on aliexpress, order for more quantities say 50, you would be surprised how much he will sell to you( my encounter with those chines people showed me that they are scared of any negative review and would sell to you almost the same price they got from factory).

3. Always make sure you tell them what you are facing in your country, reason being that they might never know the current exchange rate( this is for the chinese supplier you have done business with)

4. Never make them feel that you are in charge( reason is they believe you can call the shots at any given time and you can agree to their amount)

5. Even with the current rate i still imported because i make them feel sympathy for me that i have to be in business to survive.(those are your previous business partners)

6. Another trick i learnt was to never give in, always negotiate for the amount you want till the last... most of them after saying no would come down and give you a better offer

7. Always import things that will sell and that are rare in the country,(note you need advertisement) this way you don't have to compete with those major importers.

8. Importers dont only import one partcular product, they import different items, so the shipping fee would be less and the KG be more(issue here would be CAPITAL, but NO, look for an importer like you based on TRUST, so you can share the shipping fee)

9. LOL, its very hard selling your items to people who own SHOPS, felt discouraged when one spoke in IGBO on a particular day & i heard him saying we have shop and we have rent to pay, you don't have shop and don't pay rent, electricity, fuel and workers, INSTEAD DEAL WITH COMPANY BY WRITING OUT A PROPOSAL LETTER TO THEM.

10. Look for the bank with the cheapest exchange rate, there is nothing that it will take away from your body if you call up banks over phone to ask for their current exchange rate as at today.

11. Funny as it sounds, i owe CHRISVICMALL LTD , last time i checked, it was 13,000. Be ready to owe to them, although i guess you must have done several business with them before they can believe in you

12. Pray to God and be willing to take risk and look for new sellers

e.g former seller sells spy glass to me at $9, new seller sells to me $6.5 and she gets it from factory for $4.5 - $5.5 and i only import 50 pieces and i sell on konga for N6500 due to increase in current exchange rate, before it was N4980.

Good luck to y'all these year
I AM RESEARCHING FOR HOW TO BRING IN CONTAINER INTO THE COUNTRY, DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CONTAINERS AND BUT I AM WILLING TO LEARN, ANYBODY CAN HELP ME IF YOU KNOW

NOTE ALL THOSE MAJOR IMPORTERS, MOST WENT THROUG MINI IMPORTATION AND HARDWORK TO BE WHERE THEY ARE

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by sunsewa: 8:43am On Jan 04, 2016
those people selling cheaper bought it in extra large quantities, infact some even placed order for it,and u know placing orders involved large amt,thereby having a wide discount margin from urs,and then they ship it with a lot of difference per one to urs.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Dymaco(m): 9:09am On Jan 04, 2016
lekankolade:

Please I will need dis trick...help me with ur number
OK using china post the goods use to arrive 15-25 days. u can reach me on
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bessieli: 9:23am On Jan 04, 2016
Doing business is never easy. You should learn from others first. There are many secrects under each business and if you dont know that and you only know the surface then you will never success. You need a lot of researchs and practices even suffer many bad times. There are many Nigerians in china doing business, you can talk with and listen for their suggestions. But be remember, dont esaily trust anyone.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by phonesNgadgets: 9:26am On Jan 04, 2016
@Regularguyx @amtaken I can't find your messages inbox. Kindly check my signature for my contact, if you want to pass any information across to me. Thank you.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Ayoola171(m): 9:37am On Jan 04, 2016
Learning from the gurus. Informative & Educative.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by RapLawd(m): 9:53am On Jan 04, 2016
greggng:
It depends on what you wanna import. I have a chinese who I do cargo business with. Must times she assist in buying stuff and shipping of same to nigeria . I handle the clearing and other stuff here. If you want my number I can give u so that we can meet in person and discuss better

Really

Reply my pm ASAP bro
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by herboshedhe(f): 10:07am On Jan 04, 2016
greggng:
It depends on what you wanna import. I have a chinese who I do cargo business with. Must times she assist in buying stuff and shipping of same to nigeria . I handle the clearing and other stuff here. If you want my number I can give u so that we can meet in person and discuss better
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by amtaken(f): 10:19am On Jan 04, 2016
Ok thanks.
phonesNgadgets:
@Regularguyx @amtaken I can't find your messages inbox. Kindly check my signature for my contact, if you want to pass any information across to me. Thank you.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by MRBrownJ: 10:59am On Jan 04, 2016
Obynolee:

You are wrong, what if you don't need partner?,you need to understand that there are great difference between theory and practical.

nonsense, do you have memory loss or something?! the OP has a mini importation business and problems with transportation, while getting the goods at much higher price than they are in Lagos, because he doesnt buy in bulk. ..and you are here telling us all that he doesnt need a partner?! then how can he buy the goods cheaper OR lower the cost of shipping (if he doesnt partner with anyone)?

you are making very little sense and your way of thinking is the reason why so many of these mini importers are failing miserably. mini importers should work together and lower costs in all spectrum, instead of working against one another and having the Chinese manufacturers laughing all the way to the bank.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 11:14am On Jan 04, 2016
bobo65:

15m na change bro

Enter idi oro Mushin in Lagos state and ask

Ppl send over 50m to a guy they havent met

Its all bout trust yo

And u can trust a Chinese man, but u gotta ask questions

For example , u wanna buy a battery, u gotta ask him if the "mah" encrypted " on the body of the battery is its real capacity, they will gladly tell u if it is or if its not
People who talk like you are those who do not have up to 100k in their bank and have never done any biz above 100.K.this is not about how much it's purely market principles. Chey U think say 15M nah beans?as U dey talk there can U send 1M to someone in Nigeria U never met?let alone abroad. U dnt know the chinese are the worse scammers

4 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obynolee(f): 11:31am On Jan 04, 2016
MRBrownJ:

nonsense, do you have memory loss or something?! the OP has a mini importation business and problems with transportation, while getting the goods at much higher price than they are in Lagos, because he doesnt buy in bulk. ..and you are here telling us all that he doesnt need a partner?! then how can he buy the goods cheaper OR lower the cost of shipping (if he doesnt partner with anyone)?

you are making very little sense and your way of thinking is the reason why so many of these mini importers are failing miserably. mini importers should work together and lower costs in all spectrum, instead of working against one another and having the Chinese manufacturers laughing all the way to the bank.

I am not referring to the Op but the Lagos guy you think that it is your birthday right for him to divulge the secret of his business. I think you're the one that have memory loss here.I am a busy guy and wouldn't gloryfy you with a quote again.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobo65(m): 12:05pm On Jan 04, 2016
erico2k2:

People who talk like you are those who do not have up to 100k in their bank and have never done any biz above 100.K.this is not about how much it's purely market principles. Chey U think say 15M nah beans?as U dey talk there can U send 1M to someone in Nigeria U never met?let alone abroad. U dnt know the chinese are the worse scammers

I say again 15m na change
U can stroll down to idioro Mushin n see for urself the amt of containers one person offloads

I never said I have more than u and I'm not arguing assets with u

There will always be documents to prove u paid money to the person

And such person won't close down his multi billion dollar company cos of Ur 15m

Don't be too quick too say negative things
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by innobarca(m): 12:07pm On Jan 04, 2016
MRBrownJ:

U are making a lot of sense bro,a lot of importers at alaba and other big markets are working together... I know wat am saying,if 2 or 3 people buying de same products can team together den dey will make profit huge profit,I know 2 guys DAT are working together and making good profits here in lag

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by mark3009(m): 12:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Turbocharged:

How are importers contributing to the fall of Nigeria economy? If there were factories that manufacture those products and they chose to import them, then your point would have been valid but we do not have such factories in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by MRBrownJ: 12:18pm On Jan 04, 2016
@innobarca
sadly, people like the Obynolee are too busy competing with his own brotha instead of thinking on how to grow their businesses with partnerships and business venture

Obynolee:

I am not referring to the Op but the Lagos guy you think that it is your birthday right for him to divulge the secret of his business. I think you're the one that have memory loss here.I am a busy guy and wouldn't gloryfy you with a quote again.

what are you taking about?! are you high on some cheap drugs?! i advised the OP to find cheaper suppliers by asking stores in Lagos where they get their goods from, and you are the one with your narrow state of mind who started quoting me with your nonsense. so next time, advise your fellow man, if they are trying to start a business, or keep quiet instead of trying to bring people down. your type is the kind that Nigeria does NOT need, always trying to keep a brotha down instead of helping people with FREE informations/advices. if i can help the OP with free information/advices, i will, whether you (and your low mindset) like it or not.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Shuts Illegal Online Banks, Freezes Business Accounts / Nigerian Millionaire Throwing Money In The Air (pics, Video) / Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.