Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? (56572 Views)

How To Make Money Drop Shipping/importing From Nigeria Without Capital / Which Other Business Can You Do Than Buying Real Estate / China To Start Importing From Nigeria - Emefiele, CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Vicky2k(m): 9:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
This CBN Policy on dollar transaction For those who have placed orders recently in 2016, Does any bank naira credit card still work online
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by choix007(m): 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
winkmart:
I still don't understand why people are not getting this importation business right, when I make 150% profit on my imports on a monthly basis.

I import on aliexpress and use free shipping, but I work with serious sellers that ship in under 2 weeks. I market my products before they arrive and once they arrive, I sell.

I only focus on WRISTWATCH and am making it big. I buy for 3500# and sell for 8000# sometimes

Check my SIGNATURE

Hi bro, Kindly put me through on this, I wish to import men stuff,

2 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Vicky2k(m): 10:04pm On Jan 03, 2016
One must not personally go to factories in china to get cheaper prices for FCL Orders. That can be also done online with the help of a chinese inspection agent and also for mini importation, using 3rd party shipping agents reduces cost too
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obynolee(f): 10:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

This is not completely true! Yes, sea shipment is always cheaper, but those who use air cargo are concerned about SPEED OF DELIVERY! In some business like textile that I'm into; Before your stocks arrive by ship, people who used air would have sold at their own comfortable price before you come and put sand sand in their garri. And in business once you are the first in an area to get a NEW products before others, you will be the first to dictate the price!

We are all saying the same thing, it is like that in textile because it is fashion,and I believe you're talking about new fashion, if the fashion has been in the market for some time,can you compit with ship guys?.When new item enters market it will be by air but as time progresses it will be by sea.We don't know what the op bought.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obeenah(m): 10:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
smartdebiz:
To make things easier, buy from US and ship directly to Nigeria. No need to buy on Amazon, Ebay, etc. which do not ship most items to naija. I have discovered a website in the US where u can buy virtually anything and have them delivered right here in Nigeria. CBN policies does not affect your purchase, because they accept Bitcoin - meaning that you can buy any item regardless of price. Go here: www.overstock.com. Very cheap and competitive. Thank me later.

Checked out the site. Overly priced I must say. How do u buy at these prices?
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by unphilaz(m): 10:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Vaxt:
coutonu market of life
pls explain procedures and other info
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Chukzyfcb(m): 10:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Obynolee:

We are all saying the same thing, it is like that in textile because it is fashion,and I believe you're talking about new fashion, if the fashion has been in the market for some time,can you compit with ship guys?.When new item enters market it will be by air but as time progresses it will be by sea.We don't know what the op bought.
Yes, I'm talking of fashion. New fabrics are always coming out. So if you use air to ship,, you will still make profit! Your post was only pointing out the cons of using air form of delivery. I had to clear the air & put some advantages, so people wouldn't be discouraged from using such means!
Op, just needs to do enough research before buying & selling an Item. Its very obvious he didn't research well & set up a Good plan before Importing.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Obynolee(f): 10:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
MRBrownJ:

such state of mind is the reason why they will remain at the bottom, while if they'd joined forces, they could buy more and get prices down

No,everybody does it,it is just like asking dangote to tell you the secret of his business or asking coca cola the same question, they won't tell you all.That is the truth.Even you will do exactly, it is natural.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Osazuwaakonedo(m): 10:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
Hardship May Bite Harder In 2016

President Buhari is obviously aware that hardship is going to bite harder in 2016 that's why he increased the cost of feeding the president in the budget.

What we need now is prayer because tomorrow the first working day of the year, businesses may roll out new policies and this may further make things difficult for Nigerians.

Even currently in the country, many multinational companies that obviously controls Nigeria's economy have not rolled out new policies yet cost of foodstuffs, transport and other basic human needs have increased.

I was almost insulted in the market yesterday when I decided to do the woman style by moving from one trader to another negotiating price of foodstuffs. Tin tomatoes that I do buy at 120 is now 180, fish of 200 is now 350, where I do go with 50, 100, 500 is now 80, 200 and 700 respectively.

For those of us who don't have electrical power supply, who have find economic succour in solar lamb that appears more economical, one of the solar companies had few months ago increased the cost of their products due to the federal government new stand on importation. The product that do sell at about 4500 is now 8000.

Please 2016 is not about Buhari or Jonathan, PDP or APC rather it's all about Nigeria and you!

Therefore, all professionals most especially those from the social sciences must come out once and for all to engineer this society for good.

God bless you all brothers and sisters. Happy New Year!
Obynolee:

No,everybody does it,it is just like asking dangote to tell you the secret of his business or asking coca cola the same question, they won't tell you all.That is the truth.Even you will do exactly, it is natural.
Hardship May Bite Harder In 2016

President Buhari is obviously aware that hardship is going to bite harder in 2016 that's why he increased the cost of feeding the president in the budget.

What we need now is prayer because tomorrow the first working day of the year, businesses may roll out new policies and this may further make things difficult for Nigerians.

Even currently in the country, many multinational companies that obviously controls Nigeria's economy have not rolled out new policies yet cost of foodstuffs, transport and other basic human needs have increased.

I was almost insulted in the market yesterday when I decided to do the woman style by moving from one trader to another negotiating price of foodstuffs. Tin tomatoes that I do buy at 120 is now 180, fish of 200 is now 350, where I do go with 50, 100, 500 is now 80, 200 and 700 respectively.

For those of us who don't have electrical power supply, who have find economic succour in solar lamb that appears more economical, one of the solar companies had few months ago increased the cost of their products due to the federal government new stand on importation. The product that do sell at about 4500 is now 8000.

Please 2016 is not about Buhari or Jonathan, PDP or APC rather it's all about Nigeria and you!

Therefore, all professionals most especially those from the social sciences must come out once and for all to engineer this society for good.

God bless you all brothers and sisters. Happy New Year!

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bamasite(m): 10:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
iMerchant:

You have raised a valid point but my challenges with most people especially those who start importation business after buying ebooks from someone who never practice the business they preach is lack of basic understanding of the business.

I do not claim to be an expert but surely am not a complete idiot and I do think you can learn one or two things from my foolishness if you are willingly to learn:

1. In importation business, you don't make money when you sell you do when you buy
2. It is obvious you don't do your due diligence before buying stuff from china because if you do, you will not end up buying stuff from china at a price more expensive than Lagos.
3. You basically from your post buy on impulse which is VERY BAD for any business especially when you are into importation business. Your consumer are suppose to buy from you on impulse not the other way round.
4. Stop buying generic goods at expensive price from china.
5. The infact that someone brainwashed you into believing that goods are cheap on 1688.com and Taobao doesn't mean the person is 100% accurate. Believe me when I say you can get some stuff cheaper on Aliexpress than 1688.com
6. Sir, except you are a contractor who buy stuffs for other to resell, you should NEVER EVER use EXPRESS shipping for goods you intend to resell. As a good business person, your aim should always be to reduce your cost of doing business not increase it.
7. If you do your homework very well cheaper doesn't necessary mean better quality in China. Except you import sub-standard goods from china you need not worry about the Lagos price if you have a product with superior quality. Before you say anything, I have sold hundreds of selfie stick nationwide at 7.5k each when other people selling at 1.2k are yet to sell 50 pcs. Quality beat price anyday anytime.
8. Before you buy anything from china please go to your source market in Lagos first thereby saving yourself unnecessary headache. If it is cheaper in Lagos with the same quality like the one you are buying from china, please do yourself a favour, Buy it in Lagos.

Thanks

All you have said are on point
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Vaxt(m): 10:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
unphilaz:
pls explain procedures and other info
what do u want to know
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bamasite(m): 10:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
stanvesco:

#smiles#
imagine if every1 could import; smile again; then who wud b d buyers...

grin grin grin
I get your point too! We don't need over saturation right?
But op has gotten enough advice that can turn his business around already!
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by MRBrownJ: 10:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
Obynolee:

so you actually do think that there is a "secret" formula to success?!?!?!?!?! BWAAAAAAAAH, very funny!
telling someone where they can get bulk items in China is NOT a secret, far from it, as this info is all over the internet for all to see.

sadly, in any businesses (whether big or small) you have to use your brain at all times and work towards improving the business. so, if having a partner can help your business with A) sharing the cost of shipping and B) lower the cost of that said bulk product, then why shouldnt you tell people where you get your products (and possibly have a partnership with them)?

there is nothing "natural" (or rewarding) about not wanting to tell someone where they can get a product in bulk, while YOU dont sell in bulk. it makes absolutely NO sense!

3 Likes

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 10:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
Vicky2k:
One must not personally go to factories in china to get cheaper prices for FCL Orders. That can be also done online with the help of a chinese inspection agent and also for mini importation, using 3rd party shipping agents reduces cost too
If your target is 2 ok turnover then yes but if your target is 2 M turnover then it'd a good idea to go to China cos I discovered that quantity is a major factor in pricing in china.

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Vicky2k:
If your target is 2ok turnover then yes but if your target is 2 M turnover then it'd a good idea to go to China cos I discovered that quantity is a major factor in pricing in china.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by franzis(m): 10:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
When you know ur way and done ur homework well , u can pull in crazy profits from this biz
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by Vicky2k(m): 10:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
erico2k2:

If your target is 2ok turnover then yes but if your target is 2 M turnover then it'd a good idea to go to China cos I discovered that quantity is a major factor in pricing in china.
That's true though i have seen traders who buy container load of goods yet have not been to china in person to buy large quantites from factories
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 10:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
Vicky2k:
That's true though i have seen traders who buy container load of goods yet have not been to china in person to buy large quantites from factories
Buying 20 ft container the owner must at a point been to China or the goods are standard.Some factories only do min of 50 per goods.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by whizqueen(f): 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
Vicky2k:
This CBN Policy on dollar transaction For those who have placed orders recently in 2016, Does any bank naira credit card still work online
This question is seriously begging for answer angry

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by aniseamos(m): 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
According to your statement; you are buying from the wholesaler not from the manufacturer, those people in Lagos are buy directly from the manufacturer. No manufacturer will ever sell product of 1-10 quantity to you, any manufacturer that told that mean he is a retailer not even wholesaler. If you want to buy from manufacturer then you have to buy at least 500 quantity of their product. So do not compare Lagos market to China market, even US believe that China market is the cheapest market. If you want to buy below 10 quantities, i advice you to buy it in Lagos or else you will be at lost, and even buying it in Nigeria will be more profitable because you will access it by yourself.
For more information. Just whatsapp me on +2348036056564 or tweet me on @aniseamos
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobo65(m): 11:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
muhammed001:
Hello everyone please I need your advice and encouragement on this mini importation business because i am really facing problems on this importation biz.

What I found out now is that the things I import are always cheaper at lagos

Because my first order was 30 watches and after buying them I found out that they are even cheaper in lagos than importing them because I want to sell them on wholesale price.

My next order was tummy slimming waist trainer for women. When I received the samples I said let me go and look for buyers that will buy it on wholesale before importing them
When I got there I found out that my price is higher than lagos price.
Even the price I bought it is higher than lagos price not to talk of adding profit.

please how can one really make money from this mini importation biz?
I am buying from 1688
Please help me with a solution to this problem or is there anything I am thinking wrong?

The goods are always cheap in china but when you calculate the total cost price of the goods and shipping fee, you will found out that is very expensive when compared to the price of lagos.

Then you will start saying that buying from lagos is even cheaper than buying from china. So now, what is the big deal on importing from china or uk/us when we can even get it cheaper in lagos?

Info marketers will always show you the prices of the goods in china but they will not include the shipping fee.
Sometimes the shipping fee can even multiply the cost of the goods * 4 and above.

Please your contributions are highly welcomed.

I'm working with my dad and we ship in thousands from China
I'm currently in abuja serving, when Im done I'll be back to lag to do full time Biz

My advice,
The site u buy from are like jumia here in Nigeria, they help ppl advertise their goods so they add much money so they could get their gain e.g aliexpress n co

Pm me, I can help u with contacts, tho we sell electronics but the China contacts might know someone DAT sell wt u want

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobo65(m): 11:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Buying 20 ft cont aimer the owner must at a point been to China or the goods are standard.Some factories only do min of 50 per goods.

U don't have to goto China bro

U can know Someone that goes there n d person can help u with contacts

Or get an agent
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by erico2k2(m): 11:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
bobo65:

U don't have to goto China bro

U can know Someone that goes there n d person can help u with contacts

Or get an agent
I want to buy goods of 15M. You are seriously asking me to put my faith on some persons in china to source goods,seriously? ?
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ewizard1: 11:59pm On Jan 03, 2016
IMO, i think the reason why buying from china would be costlier than here is; you are buying a very low quantity when someone already imported tonnes of it to sell at a lower price.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ewizard1: 12:00am On Jan 04, 2016
erico2k2:

I want to buy goods of 15M. You are seriously asking me to out my faith on some persons in china to source goods,seriously? ?
15M? Abeg enter plane! Shenzen straight! !! grin

1 Like

Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by ewizard1: 12:04am On Jan 04, 2016
OP bougth 30 watches when someone already brought in like 10,000 units of the watches!

Importation biz is money! Even if you get the idea of a product first, if theres no huge amount to hit it, people with the wads would hijack the idea straight away.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobojoshua(m): 12:05am On Jan 04, 2016
phonesNgadgets:
Though I ship from US, but I believe I can still make a resourceful contribution.

For those of you who import from China, you will duff your hat,cap abi na beret you wear grin when you hear how much it costs us to import from US/Canada & Europe, if you are a mini-importer. In most cases, our selling prices are higher than those importing from China; but on a personal note, there is a way I go about it, which makes my prices be on the same level or even lower to that of China importers, and with added advantage of superior quality smiley.

One thing is that I import high quality products ( Even those that were made in China meet US quality control standard) which gives me the confidence to add mark-up profit to my cost price and those who need the good won't resist it.

Secondly, I try as much as possible to import a lot of different goods at a time (even those things I need personally) to absorb the shipping fee. For instance if I buy footwear, watches, shirts; I may also buy radio,mini-speakers etc which have lesser weight and are lower in price. By the time the shipping fee is spread on all these items, the cost becomes lesser, which makes the unit prices of each good lesser to the local price or on a par.

Thirdly, I take my time to watch out for deal&offers on the websites I buy from. This gives me the advantage of buying quality products at a very good price. Bro, if no be dem shipping charges, customs duties and GTBank exchange rate, I for don acquire my own plot of land for Eko Atlantic City cheesy In this our importation biz.

But I bless Jah! smiley We are doing fine. If I ain't doing fine, I won't get a local investor who has never met me face-to-face; and yet believed in my dream and invested in my business. This same importation business of course!

On a last note, I lay emphasis on the quality of the goods and the country of origin, which actually gives an edge.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobojoshua(m): 12:09am On Jan 04, 2016
smartdebiz:
To make things easier, buy from US and ship directly to Nigeria. No need to buy on Amazon, Ebay, etc. which do not ship most items to naija. I have discovered a website in the US where u can buy virtually anything and have them delivered right here in Nigeria. CBN policies does not affect your purchase, because they accept Bitcoin - meaning that you can buy any item regardless of price. Go here: www.overstock.com. Very cheap and competitive. Thank me later.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by lekankolade(m): 12:11am On Jan 04, 2016
Dymaco:
yes I made the same mistake...

I bought female loafers for 7h and use 1300 to ship it. I later discovered that the shoes sell for N1800 wholesale price. I really cry because I need to sell off those shoes even below cost price.

but I just discover a trick......
buy a goods and use post office with free
shipping , then u go enjoy importation.
post office accept only 20kg and very cheap but 40 days of patience

Please I will need dis trick...help me with ur number
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by bobojoshua(m): 12:13am On Jan 04, 2016
skentelelady:
As for me I don't pay for shipping and my goods come in thru dhl

I ensure I buy an amount that qualifies for free express shipping by seller

The reason I don't buy in Lagos is because all their items are common due to mass production. When u buy from china, buy what isn't common that when u bring in to sell u can add more money since people will see Ur things being different and unique.
Re: Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? by temmarbaba(m): 12:18am On Jan 04, 2016
muhammed001:

This is exactly what I am talking about because this is the only way you can make money by importing from china.

The reason why lagos price is lower is because:

1 there are buying in a very large quantity

2 they have to travel to china meet the manufacturers and bargain price of production with them and the Chinese will sell it to them at a ridiculously cheap price and when the bring it to nigeria they will be selling it even cheaper than the amount we are spending to buy the same goods china.

So, when it comes to mini importation we are only buying in small quantities like 10, 20, 30. So you can't compare these quantity with the people that are buying in thousands or even millions in terms of prices and shipping cost they will get the goods.

So with this I don't think there is any big deal in mini importation because you can even get the goods cheaper in lagos-nigeria here.

I am talking generally on any goods or products any mini importer is importing.

Please can you mail me? I have some things to share with you on the matTer - Tmt19john@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FG Shuts Illegal Online Banks, Freezes Business Accounts / Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria / Ayiri Emami Chills In His Mansion After The Day's Work. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.