Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

When Asked About Salary Preference - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / When Asked About Salary Preference (39375 Views)

What Should u say When Asked This Question In An Interview / Question An American Asked About Nigerians Stealing Their Jobs And Reply He Got / Question Asked About Nigeria Customs Service Recruitment Program. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
So I went to an interview last week. After dusting their questions and I was about to go. The HR call me and ask me my salary preference. I told them they should give me their range, she said no, what do I want? I reasoned and said 70k up.. Lol I came out to meet others and I asked them what they said on salary. All of them said 40-60k .. I just laugh and said I don die .. Lmao!! No be Wetin you feel you want you go say? #ThingsILongThroatFor big salary abeg grin

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Rosemary216(f): 2:10pm On Dec 22, 2015
Lol... Sorry ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by ajasa4link: 3:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
lol....The truth is desperation to land any job at all always makes job seekers to under value themselves and call any figure at all when the salary issue is raised in the recruitment process. I was also guilty of this,the desperation of wanting to land the job, not wanting to sit back at home and the start counting months after service is one of the reasons people tend to call this low salary figure.
However, standard organizations don't base ur slary on the jargons u mouth as salary figure during interviews. Am a living witness, where i currently work now, I was asked for my salary expectations, and as usual i just said something that I feel is at least fair to both parties, but still the interviewers tried cutting it down , and even asked if they shouldn't bother getting back to me if i can't go lower. But God helped me answer the question intelligently. Lo and behold my salary in my offer letter was twice the figure I mentioned during the interview. Even my friend where he works now, he asked for a little over a million as salary figure, but his offer letter showed his salary to be over 2million

83 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by odimbannamdi(m): 1:52am On Dec 24, 2015
ajasa4link:
lol....The truth is desperation to land any job at all always makes job seekers to under value themselves and call any figure at all when the salary issue is raised in the recruitment process. I was also guilty of this,the desperation of wanting to land the job, not wanting to sit back at home and the start counting months after service is one of the reasons people tend to call this low salary figure.
However, standard organizations don't base ur slary on the jargons u mouth as salary figure during interviews. Am a living witness, where i currently work now, I was asked for my salary expectations, and as usual i just said something that I feel is at least fair to both parties, but still the interviewers tried cutting it down , and even asked if they shouldn't bother getting back to me if i can't go lower. But God helped me answer the question intelligently. Lo and behold my salary in my offer letter was twice the figure I mentioned during the interview. Even my friend where he works now, he asked for a little over a million as salary figure, but his offer letter showed his salary to be over 2million

bros abeg link me up. i am currently wallowing in abject joblessness

107 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by nmreports: 3:51am On Dec 24, 2015
May we all find our dream jobs. Amen!

3 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by virud: 11:53am On Dec 24, 2015
U didn't carry out any background research on the company before heading for that interview? Could cost you that job If you down play or over shoot on their / your range. A little background check could have done the magic! Wish you luck!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 24, 2015
virud:
U didn't carry out any background research on the company before heading for that interview? Could cost you that job If you down play or over shoot on their / your range. A little background check could have done the magic! Wish you luck!

Tried to find out o.. Someone told me 60k to 80. So I took it to the middle. But the person might not be right Coz she said her friend works there, so I wasn't sure. I pleaded with hr to gimme the range but she didn't . What will you do too?

2 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by virud: 1:57pm On Dec 24, 2015
Boltmeister:

Tried to find out o.. Someone told me 60k to 80. So I took it to the middle. But the person might not be right Coz she said her friend works there, so I wasn't sure. I pleaded with hr to gimme the range but she didn't . What will you do too?
lol..trying to put me on the spot.
Truthfully, it's an awkward situation. But the point is, if its not a start-up company, then it is very possible for you to have managed to lay your hands on that information.

On what I would do..

1 - Every industry has a somewhat general pay package for entry level, executive level and senior executive level employees ..If for any reason, you couldn't get the exact pay/salary for the industry and position you're applying for, then it will be in your best interest to have this information at the back of your hand at such.

2 - with the above information, you easily 'guess' your pay range through.

2 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2015
Better luck searching, no offense..
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Demmocrats(m): 6:00pm On Dec 24, 2015
Nice one OP, one 0rijin you know your value.
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Kangol99(m): 6:01pm On Dec 24, 2015
cry
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by missKiffy(f): 6:01pm On Dec 24, 2015
Lol, that question is quite a dicey one, you won't want to ask for far too much and at the same time you won't want to ask for far below what you deserve. The best thing is to try and have an idea of what they pay for that position and say something between that range

3 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Toeyoursea(m): 6:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
grin
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by youngaz(m): 6:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
wey lasisi69 2 cum nd post end time salary grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by AmakaDNBStories(f): 6:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
shocked

1 Like

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by tammie24: 6:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
You shouldn't feel bad
you know your worth

4 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Quadre: 6:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
ajasa4link:

Op salary over a million? Is that monthly or centurily?

27 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by bufness(m): 6:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
happy xmas in advance peeps smiley
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 24, 2015
grin
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by davodyguy: 6:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
Boltmeister:
So I went to an interview last week. After dusting their questions and I was about to go. The HR call me and ask me my salary preference. I told them they should give me their range, she said no, what do I want? I reasoned and said 70k up.. Lol I came out to meet others and I asked them what they said on salary. All of them said 40-60k .. I just laugh and said I don die .. Lmao!! No be Wetin you feel you want you go say? #ThingsILongThroatFor big salary abeg grin

I sincerely hope that your spoken English during the interview is better than what you wrote in the OP, if not, you just might have heard the last from the company that day. Cause, one has to be intelligent to understand your message

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by brunofarad(m): 6:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
Lol
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
grin
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Omotayor123(f): 6:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
OP you tried cheesy
If you are their preference... They will definitely call you back and liaise with you as per the salary.

1 Like

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by OkekeChristian(m): 6:08pm On Dec 24, 2015
It's always good to state your own position, rather than going along with the pack.
An extra 10-20 thousand won't matter if they prefer your abilities to that of the others.

I wish you luck sha. Na when you go need my account number?

4 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by ultrazone(m): 6:09pm On Dec 24, 2015
I wish u well, OP.
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 24, 2015
odimbannamdi:

It is very sad.

But I heard the pmb will provide much jobs next year.
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 24, 2015
endtime salary, endtime questio and endtime answer! angry angry
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by BCISLTD: 6:11pm On Dec 24, 2015
angry 70k for a month......hmmm
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
davodyguy:

I sincerely hope that your spoken English during the interview was better that what you wrote in the OP, if not, you just might have heard the last from the company that day.

#sigh.. You people and ur aproko mehn.. The last time I checked this is a social platform not a formal gathering/meeting. This is not a proposal, I can choose to write as I like. *uses ur time well oga* adios

15 Likes

Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by shumuel(m): 6:13pm On Dec 24, 2015
hmm...
Re: When Asked About Salary Preference by adebayo201: 6:13pm On Dec 24, 2015
odimbannamdi:

cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market / CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.