Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,903 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" (15420 Views)

5 Benefits Of Attending Church / I Think Christians In The Core North Should Stop Attending Church For Now. / The More I Know, The More I Feel Like Not Attending Church Again (pentecostal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ttalks(m): 2:24pm On Jun 17, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Petres
Evidently you have been very well taught and empowered to read the bible and understand it well in it's proper context i thank God for his servant who has been mentoring you in truth. The sad thing is that most people that claim to be christians especially in the pentecostal fold have been trained and tutored to always see what the bible is not saying and "hear" what the holy ghost is not saying. I pray that his truth would not depart from us.

Amen! wink
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:01pm On Jun 17, 2009
@KunleOshob,

I can see that you have a lot of likeminded people on this forum or should I say disciples and mentors.  I suggest that you all get yourselves together and form your own fellowship.  The Bible says can two walk together except they agree?  It is obvious that they agree with your convictions on the following points which you feel strongly about:

[list]
[li]That the Scriptures is not the infallible word of God[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That the Scriptures has been corrupted[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That the RCC was responsible for the production of the Bible[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That you don't need to be born again before you can study and understand the Bible[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That tithing is not a biblical doctrine in the NT period[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That the gates of hell has prevailed against the church of God[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That there are no true churches available again and so on[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]The claim to be the only ones who studies the word of God and understand it[/li]
[/list]

It is high time you started a fellowship of the likeminded in that way no one will disturb or confuse you with the facts.

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” -- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Who said that the Scriptures is not inerrant and infallible?
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by pek(m): 3:52pm On Jun 17, 2009
good luck to you.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by origina9ja(f): 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2009
na u sabi
only you and God can be discussing that on that day
pele
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 4:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

@KunleOshob,

I can see that you have a lot of likeminded people on this forum or should I say disciples and mentors.  I suggest that you all get yourselves together and form your own fellowship.  The Bible says can two walk together except they agree?  It is obvious that they agree with your convictions on the following points which you feel strongly about:

[list]
[li]That the Scriptures is not the infallible word of God[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That the Scriptures has been corrupted[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That the RCC was responsible for the production of the Bible[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That you don't need to be born again before you can study and understand the Bible[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That tithing is not a biblical doctrine in the NT period[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That the gates of hell has prevailed against the church of God[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]That there are no true churches available again and so on[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]The claim to be the only ones who study the word of God and understand it[/li]

[/list]

You can choose to misrepresent me for all i care that is your own wahala. The truth shall prevail

OLAADEGBU:

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” -- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

If you understand the meaning of the scriptures you just posted above you would know that it 100% descibes the state of the church today especially the pentecostal movement[which is very recent and far removed from true christianity] that you belong too. Is it not in your pentecostal churches that pastors preach all sort of unscriptural things that people want to hear instead of sound doctrine? And when people like me point out the faults and errors going on in the church so that we can correct it the vested interests amongst you and the idolators turn round and attack me for daring to read my bible and share the truth with others.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by tinajohn: 5:41pm On Jun 17, 2009
I understand your frustration. I also had got to that stage at one point in life where I was disappointed in church and everything to do with it - pastors, church folk, gossip, two-facedness, corruption etc. I especially struggled with hypocrisy and almost called it a day. But I thank God that now I know that there are a few genuine pastors around who are living according to the Gospel. God led me to one and now I follow a good shepherd in a living church. Don't give up. The end has not yet come. Giving up is giving up on God Himself. Ask God to direct your path. If you are sincere and have a genuine hunger for God, he will answer your prayer and your life will never be the same again.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:44pm On Jun 17, 2009
KunleOshob:

You can choose to misrepresent me for all i care that is your own wahala. The truth shall prevail

You can remind yourself of what you stand for in the threads below and come back to tell me if I still misrepresented you.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-143706.32.html#bot
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-186623.0.html#bot
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-110383.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-256484.0.html

KunleOshob:

If you understand the meaning of the scriptures you just posted above you would know that it 100% descibes the state of the church today especially the pentecostal movement[which is very recent and far removed from true christianity] that you belong too. Is it not in your pentecostal churches that pastors preach all sort of unscriptural things that people want to hear instead of sound doctrine? And when people like me point out the faults and errors going on in the church so that we can correct it the vested interests amongst you and the idolators turn round and attack me for daring to read my bible and share the truth with others.

You would realise that when you point your accusing finger at others the remaining digits point back at you.

Read about the prophecy of Peter in Jude 16-19
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fyneguy: 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2009
tinajohn:

I understand your frustration. I also had got to that stage at one point in life where I was disappointed in church and everything to do with it - pastors, church folk, gossip, two-facedness, corruption etc. I especially struggled with hypocrisy and almost called it a day. But I thank God that now I know that there are a few genuine pastors around who are living according to the Gospel. God led me to one and now I follow a good shepherd in a living church. Don't give up. The end has not yet come. Giving up is giving up on God Himself. Ask God to direct your path. If you are sincere and have a genuine hunger for God, he will answer your prayer and your life will never be the same again.

Anybody that's frustrated because of a church issue, has himself to blame.  Go and study 1 Cor. chapters 1-3 and see how Paul described the church there and what the same Paul said about this church in chapters 5 and 6. When you are done studying, tell me if the church that almost frustrated you was as ''bad'' as the church described in these chapters and yet Paul called them saints.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by petres007(m): 7:52pm On Jun 17, 2009
KunleOshob:

, most people that claim to be christians especially in the pentecostal fold have been trained and tutored to always see what the bible is not saying and "hear" what the holy ghost is not saying. I pray that his truth would not depart from us.
grin grin grin
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fyneguy: 8:10pm On Jun 17, 2009
Hmmm the spirit of denominationalism

May God fix some one here.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by emiemi(f): 8:24am On Jun 18, 2009
There truly is no idle word that will go unnoticed by humans not to talk of the Almighty God himself.
Olaadegbu has just pointed out some posts which you have started or contributed in. Could you
integrate those 4 posts with this one making 5 together and tell us exactly what you are about?
I believe in truth and I believe the scriptures that said 'like a deer panteth after the waterbrooks
so my heart longeth after thee oh Lord''. And Jesus said he who hunger and thirst after righteousness
shall be filled. I just need you to make a comment to this Kunle. I am a fellow in Christ and would
not immediately judge you but listen to all what you have to say.

This is an exerpt from the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-186623.0.html#bot

[b]For us to assume as christians that the bible is perfect would be to be absolutely naive. Anybody that as answered at least half of the questions i posed above would understand that there was a lot of human inputs and politics involved in the make up and compilation of the bible and there was absolutely nothing divine about it. That is not to say some books of the bible are not divinely inspired, quite a lot of the books certainly are. A lot of them contain accurate historical records of God's manifestation of himself to mankind. I know some fellow christians would put me under attack for daring to critisize the bible but i am not bothered since the bible is a creation of Man. Jesus christ promised to send the holy spirit to help guide our christian lives, he did not promise us a cannon of scriptures(the bible). Unfortunately most people that profess christianity and claim to have the holy spirit in there lives have actually shut the holy spirit out of their lives. They are just plain religious people and not spirit fiiled.

[/b]
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by emiemi(f): 8:26am On Jun 18, 2009
the above post is directed @Kunleoshob
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Rufus007(m): 10:43am On Jun 18, 2009
@KunleOshob
Brother, I want to appreciate you for this topic. I believe most people will differ with you on your decision. They may see you as a quitter. But let me say it doesnt matter what the reports of men are as long as the Lord has not condemned a man.
I got wind of this inspiration a far back as 1993. I dont belong to any denomination and whenever I say so people look at me as if I am wild or weird kind of person. They dont simply understand what I am saying. The truth is many people I met later who shared the same view with me were ostracized from their Organized Religious setting for having such a view.
I just wanna tell you that you are on the right track and God at this end time is separating his Bride Element on the earth in preparation for the 2nd coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Organized Church world of our day are busy with lots of activities that focus their attention away from the 2nd coming of our lord Jesus Christ. They are building castles in this world after their names just like the Gentile world. They want to be remembered for what i cannot define.They say Christ rode on horse during his lifetime as a ground for them to use the most expensive things in this world at the expense of those providing the means and even their soul. This is very pathetic as you find the same fighting blindly on behalf of their pastors.Anyway i dont have problem with them.We are accountable for all our deeds and I am no judge at all.I leave them to God but Truth need be said.
Brother, the good news I have for you is that all over the world Christ is gathering His bride and the tare elements the So-called pastors are bundling up just for fire.
Look at the proliferation of churches and yet we do not know their impact except flagrant display and advertisement of ignorance in term of numbers of their members and financial capacity as if that is the God's benchmark for making it to the Rapture. The church is just like another escape from the club-like life indulgence.They just as confused as the man in a cross road. I pray God for direction for as many who still have Christ and the Church at heart.I pray for the men of God too to get their re-awakening in the spirit.It is easy to lose the track than keeping it.Just like that Church in the Book of Revelation who claim to be rich but check out God's position about the church,
Rev 3:14-18, "And to the angel of the Church in Laodicean write:These things say the Amen,the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
15. "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot.I could wsih that you were cold or hot.
16."So then because you were lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of my mouth.
17."Because you say I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable,poor,blind and naked--
18."I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich: and white garments,that you may be clothed, that the shame of your unclothedness may not be revealed;and anoint your eyes with eyesalve,that you may see,
Bible reveals to us the Last Church Age- Laodicean Age which we are now and its almost rounding off.God so good,He offers solution too.So if anyone values his or her life pass their Pastor's you will know you are on your own[b](OYO) [/b]in this case and race.God is only calling for people to repent and stop defending their organized religion.People should have time to study their Bible not the pre-meditated and structured messages focused at a certain vision of the man of God.Our mission is definite, Preparing ourselves to meet our Lord,our Bridegroom in all holiness. The world is not trying to be like the Church and so let the church stand its ground concerning God's principles as evidenced in the Bible.
Brother pls talk to Bro Jerry on Jerro008@yahoo.com and me @ rufus.demola@yahoo.com
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 10:52am On Jun 18, 2009
emiemi:

There truly is no idle word that will go unnoticed by humans not to talk of the Almighty God himself.
Olaadegbu has just pointed out some posts which you have started or contributed in. Could you
integrate those 4 posts with this one making 5 together and tell us exactly what you are about?
I believe in truth and I believe the scriptures that said 'like a deer panteth after the waterbrooks
so my heart longeth after thee oh Lord''. And Jesus said he who hunger and thirst after righteousness
shall be filled. I just need you to make a comment to this Kunle. I am a fellow in Christ and would
not immediately judge you but listen to all what you have to say.

This is an exerpt from the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-186623.0.html#bot

[b]For us to assume as christians that the bible is perfect would be to be absolutely naive. Anybody that as answered at least half of the questions i posed above would understand that there was a lot of human inputs and politics involved in the make up and compilation of the bible and there was absolutely nothing divine about it. That is not to say some books of the bible are not divinely inspired, quite a lot of the books certainly are. A lot of them contain accurate historical records of God's manifestation of himself to mankind. I know some fellow christians would put me under attack for daring to critisize the bible but i am not bothered since the bible is a creation of Man. Jesus christ promised to send the holy spirit to help guide our christian lives, he did not promise us a cannon of scriptures(the bible). Unfortunately most people that profess christianity and claim to have the holy spirit in there lives have actually shut the holy spirit out of their lives. They are just plain religious people and not spirit fiiled.

[/b]

I stand 100% behind evry single word that is stated above quoted from my previous post. If you have any further questions or mis -givings about it you may want to let me know. I also have a question for you, do you believe the bible is the "Undiluted" word of God? if so why do you believe so? My own take on the bible is this: Prove all things; hold fast that which is good - I Thess 5:21
For you to know what i am about and my understanding of christianity please follow my thread on "The true gopsel of Jesus Christ" there i am trying to develope a theme of what Jesus christt came to do on this planet.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by emiemi(f): 11:14am On Jun 18, 2009
Ok Kunle, it's not about criticism but rather understanding which we all consciously and subconsciouly seek.
KunleOshob:

Quote from: petres_007 on June 16, 2009, 04:55 PM
Osazu,

I[b] think what Kunle was trying to point out is that the bible in its essence, its message, principles, doctrines is correct and inspired of God - infallible. But because for example, it had to be copied/translated by human hands, does contain minor errors/omissions/contradictions.[/b]

Thanx bro wink

Jesus christ promised to send the holy spirit to help guide our christian lives, he did not promise us a cannon of scriptures(the bible)

I'll tell you this, when u were in school, you learnt quite a variety of stuffs, but then and again, you refer to
the handouts, texts or google up some topics for refreshing and remembrance. When God put the idea of
putting down what he wanted of man into writing, it wasn't for want of something to do. It's because the
same God knows the limits of the capacity which he has created all his beings (particularly humans). So the
bible came into being, written of mortal men, historical writings, exhortations, warnings, prophecies, etc.
Agreed errors came in, ommissions and some seeming contradictions showing to us exactly what we are -
i.e. imperfect. But does the word cease to exhort, correct, rebuke, admonish, teach us in the path of truth?
The Holy spirit can only give more light unto whatever you have read or are thinking except for unusual cases
when God demonstrate his omnipotence and give a new word that is meet for a pressing situation.

God is the same God yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2009
emiemi:

Ok Kunle, it's not about criticism but rather understanding which we all consciously and subconsciouly seek.
Jesus christ promised to send the holy spirit to help guide our christian lives, he did not promise us a cannon of scriptures(the bible)

I'll tell you this, when u were in school, you learnt quite a variety of stuffs, but then and again, you refer to
the handouts, texts or google up some topics for refreshing and remembrance. When God put the idea of
putting down what he wanted of man into writing, it wasn't for want of something to do. It's because the
same God knows the limits of the capacity which he has created all his beings (particularly humans). So the
bible came into being, written of mortal men, historical writings, exhortations, warnings, prophecies, etc.
Agreed errors came in, ommissions and some seeming contradictions showing to us exactly what we are -
i.e. imperfect. But does the word cease to exhort, correct, rebuke, admonish, teach us in the path of truth?
The Holy spirit can only give more light unto whatever you have read or are thinking except for unusual cases
when God demonstrate his omnipotence and give a new word that is meet for a pressing situation.

God is the same God yesterday, today and tomorrow.

We seem to be agreeing on some issues here. Personally i have decided to restrain myself while giving an opinion on the bible so i am not mis-understood. But i believe as christians we should prove all things as Apostle paul advised. Today the bible as been idolized and a lot of people can't see beyond the fact that it is a holy book. They forget the fact that the imperfect hand of man was involved in the writting, compilation and translation of the 66 or is it 80 books that the early church fathers agreed to include in the canon under the supervision of emperor constantine.
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fayahsoul: 6:34pm On Jun 18, 2009
If adam and eve had three sons then who were the wives of cain and set? If they had sisters that were not mentioned did they marry their sistas? If they did that would be incest which is a sin. This is one contradiction.

"Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."

15 But the LORD said to him, "Not so [a] ; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him." gen 4: 13-15.

From these verses we can see another contradiction. Who are these people in the earth that cain fears would kill him upon sight of him? Weren't the only people in the world at this point himself and his parents(adam,eve)?

Let's be sensible. Oh i forgot you're not supposed to be sensible, it goes against your faith.

[img]http://C:\Documents and Settings\fayahsoul\My Documents\My Pictures\laugh.gif[/img]

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Ndipe(m): 9:21pm On Jun 18, 2009
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fayahsoul: 11:12pm On Jun 18, 2009
Ndipe:

http://www.gotquestions.org/pre-Adamic-race.html

Oh my goodness, you christians are really full of it. I'm not even going to dignify the post in that link with a response.

The whole verbage is garbage
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fayahsoul: 11:41pm On Jun 18, 2009
"God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods" psalm 82:1

"And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden." gen 3: 8

Now, how the hell can an omnipresent being be every where and one place at the same time? If every thing came from God almighty how then can he exist outside of himself? how can he be formless and have form at same time? He created the whole universe but can walk on earth like an earthling? And if he can walk on earth and talk to people then he is not a sole authority, his authority can be contested.

Look, you cretins, the God of the bible are woolly haired, dark skinned afurakan geneticist who grafted the european from human and ape. That's why indo-europeans have fur not hair(u don't see animals with woolly hair), they lack melanin like shaved monkeys, some are born with tails(spina bifida), they have large ears, thin lips and flat butts like apes and they're the most savage and inhumane.

Remember: "Ye are Gods!" -john 10: 34
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by fayahsoul: 11:45pm On Jun 18, 2009
Is this your messiah?

lol. . .that's the devil!

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by sleekmike(m): 11:14am On Jun 19, 2009
Whoever the gods want to destroy, they first of all make mad.
You are being led to the slaughter by the devil.
You have made the greatest error of faith.
The Church is not a heaven for saints but a hospital for sinners.
Never neglect the gathering of the brethren.
Two must be wiser and stronger than one.
Pleasure go back to your faith and stop spreading this heresy,
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by JJYOU: 11:23am On Jun 19, 2009
sleekmike:

Whoever the gods want to destroy, they first of all make mad.
You are being led to the slaughter by the devil.
You have made the greatest error of faith.
The Church is not a heaven for saints but a hospital for sinners.
Never neglect the gathering of the brethren.
Two must be wiser and stronger than one.
true words. sadly dont look like he had faith before. he was too busy trying to judge the people struggling to live the christian life.

"kawa elese yiwa pada" you can finish it for me saint kunle
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by KunleOshob(m): 11:26am On Jun 19, 2009
@Rufus007
Thanx for you concern and contribution.

@Sleekmike
Are you sure you are okay or something. If you genuinely think your salvation is in a man made church you seriously need deliverance.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by slyk2(m): 11:57am On Jun 19, 2009
Issues about xtianity abounds.
if you will keep looking at the pastors or church owners, you will miss the mark.

read your bible and learn for yourself.

do not be swayed by some dogmas please.

there are many charlatans in the churches of nawadays
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by petres007(m): 12:31pm On Jun 19, 2009
sleekmike:

@sleekmike,

I really don;t understand this kind of thing o!

My question is, did you read the post at all?

Where did the poster say he has left his faith?

Biblically speaking, what do you think heresy means? Maybe I'll just briefly talk about this heresy issue.

Below is a "dictionary" definition for the word/term "heresy" which I got from Wikitionary.com:

Heresy meant deliberate departure from the accepted doctrines of the church. It was intellectual and spiritual dissent and concerned the beliefs of Christianity, not the morals of its adherents.

Now biblically, heresy simply means/meant beliefs/doctrines that contradicts the scriptures i.e. Anything that Jesus or the apostles didn't teach as christian doctrine. Why is that so hard to understand?

One of the things the poster said in his initial post was that he was not aware of any church in Nigeria today that still taught the things that Jesus and his apostles did. He did not say he was abandoning going to church altogether. But that to the extent that he didn't know of any church that still rightly divided the word of truth, he was going to stop attending church. In my understanding, that was what he meant. And guess what? The bible instructs christians to stay away from anyone or any group who teach(es) anything different from what the apostles handed down. The scriptures command us to "test everything, and hold on to what is good". And I agree with the poster scriptures on this.

Now I know that most christians may not have a problem with that, as they still hold Jesus and the apostles in high regard. Thank God for that at least! Though if truth be told, "christians" would rather hold on to what their GOs or pastors tell them, than what the bible says. But lets assume for now, that christians know that they should hold the word of God as superior to what any man says, be he a GO, reverend, his most eminence, bishop or pastor.

But have you ever taken time to actually compare today's various forms of christianity with the scriptural accounts of what Jesus and his apostles actually taught? Jesus did say it is the truth that sets makes one free. I challenge you to take it upon yourself (in obedience to the scriptures) and do a proper/objective study of the bible for yourself, then compare it with most of our churches' (including your church's) doctrines and practices. God helping you, you'll be shocked at what you'll find.

Secondly, the poster gave tithing as one yardstick for choosing which church he could attend, that he cannot attend any church that still enforced tithing. The reason is very simple. Any church that still enforces tithing (some have now advanced to the level of attaching salvation to it  grin), sincerely does not understand Christianity, or is deliberately deceiving and milking people (since they'd rather be spoon fed with poison rather than do their homework, and study the scriptures for themselves)!

You also mentioned that the church is a "hospital for sinners". Good! How many churches today do you know of, that preach against sin and forgiveness of sins and salvation in Jesus Christ? [/b]How many? And this is such an essential part of biblical Christianity! Instead, we have churches today, that are as they say, "seeker-sensitive", "relevant", "motivational".

Let me share something with you. Just yesterday I was in UNILAG campus and was about to take a cab to another part of the campus where I was going to, when a young man walked up to me and handed me a handbill, an invitation to his church. Being a web-savvy person I quickly asked if the church had a website, so I can know more about their beliefs etc. He said they did, and showed me the URL there on the handbill (it was in very small lettering). So I visited their site when I got home. And here's what I found on their about us page:

[b]HERE IT IS!

A church where you can be rest assured of worshipping God with absolute peace of mind. We all agree many people are concerned about “churches” these days.

THINK ABOUT IT!
With regards to many churches…

•Sermons are hardly relevant to your needs in these tense, challenging and fast-paced     times [color=#006600]([size=5pt]I like this one[/size]  grin)
•Many churches make ‘miraculous' claims that are suspect in origin ([size=5pt]which is true[/size] )
•You wonder why the proliferation of churches is not leading to positive changes in the society ([size=5pt]the gospel wasn't meant to change society, but the souls of men[/size])
•You feel the ‘New Generation' churches seem more interested in your pocket than in you [size=5pt](which is true, and by the way, as if they are not )  grin[/size]

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENJOY CHURCH!  grin grin grin

CORNER CORNER CHURCH OF CHRIST is a church specifically structured to serve your peculiar needs in these rapidly changing times. The abundant testimonies of "changed lives" ([size=5pt]not the scriptures[/size]  cheesy) in the congregation validate that fact.

At CORNER CORNER CHURCH OF CHRIST , you will enjoy:

•An atmosphere electrified by friendly, vibrant people like you  grin
•Practical, positive messages that will motivate and encourage you every week  grin
•Trustworthy friends ready to accept you just as you are  grin grin grin
•Soul-lifting gospel music performed with an unmistakable touch of excellence (hope I don't need a ticket to get in  grin)
•Raising your young ones up in a Godly manner under the care of our devoted Children's Sunday School Staff

DISCOVER THE DIFFERENCE THIS SUNDAY!
We invite you to worship with us this Sunday (church service time) and experience a new dimension of heaven on earth.
Discover the uniqueness!

Sincerely,
Reverend Lagbaja & Mrs Lagbaja
(Senior Pastors)

Of course, I changed the names of the church, pastors and added a few comments & smilies in between. By the way, I have to commend them for their branding & marketing skills sha. I'm wondering why Jesus and his apostles didn't have these skills  cheesy

This is just a mild example of the rampant kind of crossless Christianity being peddled about today. I didn't see anything that looked like the gospel, as presented in the New Testament by the apostles, throughout their site.

I agree with the poster scriptures that churches of today are a marked departure of what Jesus and the apostles taught.  smiley If you disagree, thats fine. Just have the courage to study your bible objectively (setting aside your preconceived notions about christianity and your sentiments).

And I agree with the scriptures' instructions to stay away from such people/groups.  smiley
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by seyenko(m): 12:51pm On Jun 19, 2009
No we are not paid to debate it, we are not one of the NEW AGE CHURCHES - they would have told you to buy scratch card and pay website registration and log on offering to comment on the topic.

1 Like

Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by sleekmike(m): 1:11pm On Jun 19, 2009
This is how it starts. From condemning Pastors he will graduate to outright rebellion. We better stop him here before he gets mad.
You cannot be wiser than Jesus that instituted the Church as a gathering of people.
Separate the gathering and Christianity becomes a mere religion without power.
I dont mean to be aggressive(you all know that it is not in my nature)
Please let us not defend or correct God. He is all knowing and all powerful
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by ttalks(m): 1:22pm On Jun 19, 2009
HERE IT IS!
A church where you can be rest assured of worshipping God with absolute peace of mind. We all agree many people are concerned about “churches” these days.

THINK ABOUT IT!
With regards to many churches…

•Sermons are hardly relevant to your needs in these tense, challenging and fast-paced times [color=#006600](I like this one )
•Many churches make ‘miraculous' claims that are suspect in origin (which is true )
•You wonder why the proliferation of churches is not leading to positive changes in the society (the gospel wasn't meant to change society, but the souls of men)
•You feel the ‘New Generation' churches seem more interested in your pocket than in you (which is true, and by the way, as if they are not )

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ENJOY CHURCH!

CORNER CORNER CHURCH OF CHRIST is a church specifically structured to serve your peculiar needs in these rapidly changing times. The abundant testimonies of "changed lives" (not the scriptures ) in the congregation validate that fact.

At CORNER CORNER CHURCH OF CHRIST , you will enjoy:

•An atmosphere electrified by friendly, vibrant people like you
•Practical, positive messages that will motivate and encourage you every week
•Trustworthy friends ready to accept you just as you are
•Soul-lifting gospel music performed with an unmistakable touch of excellence (hope I don't need a ticket to get in )
•Raising your young ones up in a Godly manner under the care of our devoted Children's Sunday School Staff

DISCOVER THE DIFFERENCE THIS SUNDAY!
We invite you to worship with us this Sunday (church service time) and experience a new dimension of heaven on earth.
Discover the uniqueness!

Sincerely,
Reverend Lagbaja & Mrs Lagbaja
(Senior Pastors)

Wow, grin this is serious branding.The marketing skills displayed are so "wunnerful" grin
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by Gaminechic: 1:37pm On Jun 19, 2009
Hi Kunle.

Got back to Nairaland and saw this,
well me i have also completely stopped going to "church" except on invite/force/trying to avoid giving anyone heartattacks

Reactions;

You need deliverance
Are you a muslim?
Are you an Atheist?
Is it that you just hate God

and all sorts of Questions. .i seriously cannot bear to listen to what is being preached
so i end up reading a book or Tweeting in the church auditorium (which on one occasion nearly got me thrown out by security. ha! and my phone ceased).

I went to a "Care group" fellowship type of thingy yesterday and they were discussing about Functions in the body of christ
everything they said was related to their particular church being the "body" i could only shake my head

I just cannot relate, i tried to start a healthy discussion about this, but about four members just shut me down. .haa, no more

This is how it starts. From condemning Pastors he will graduate to outright rebellion. We better stop him here before he gets mad.
You cannot be wiser than Jesus that instituted the Church as a gathering of people.
Separate the gathering and Christianity becomes a mere religion without power.
I dont mean to be aggressive(you all know that it is not in my nature)
Please let us not defend or correct God. He is all knowing and all powerful

Rebellion from where to where?
Jesus didnt institute a "church"
Believers are the body and thats the short and long of it.
Which gathering? Did the bible say how many should gather at a time or where they ought to gather?
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by petres007(m): 1:41pm On Jun 19, 2009
ttalks:

Wow,  grin  this is serious branding.The marketing skills displayed are so "wunnerful"  grin

@ttalks,

Haba! Haba!  cheesy

Me I will tell your teasher for you o! You kannot efen spell "wonaful" enh?  grin

How you dey o?  wink
Re: I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" by petres007(m): 1:47pm On Jun 19, 2009
Gaminechic:

Believers are the body and thats the short and long of it.

Another breath of fresh air! Thanks a bunch! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! / Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" / What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.