Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! (15407 Views)

Speaking In Unknown Tongues (part 1). / TB Joshua On Leadership Newspaper Interview: I Never Spoke With Anyone / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 23, 2012
The Pentecostals are a sorry bunch I'll tell you.  Why don't they ever imitate the mighty rushing wind in Acts chapter 2, or the cloven tongues of fire?  Why do they only imitate speaking in tongues?  And by the way, and this might surprise you--no one spoke in tongues in Acts 2 at Pentecost! 

That's right, NO ONE SPOKE IN TONGUES!  If you read the Word of God carefully, it says "every man heard them speak in his own language."  Peter was preaching to a crowd of thousands.  At least 16 different nations were present (Acts 2:9-11).  Each man heard the Gospel in his native tongue (language).  Here are a few important observations:

Men did not initiate this gift, God did!  You can't show me one place in the Bible where a Christian decided to speak in tongues.  Rather, it was always initiated by God at spontaneous times of God's choosing.

The gift was for the purpose of soulwinning.  Thousands of people were saved at Pentecost (Acts 2:41).  The ridiculous practice of speaking in the Charismatic's mumbo-jumbo "tongues" is of the Devil  grin.  They've created a form of entertainment that attracts carnally-minded people.  Proof of this is in the Bible itself. 

Do you realize that the ONLY church in the New Testament to which Paul ever wrote to speak about tongues was the church at Corinth ,  THE CARNAL CHURCH!  Paul stated in 1st Corinthians 3:1-3, "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.  For ye are yet carnal, " 

Pentecostals meet in their religious buildings and act like crazy idiots--falling on the floor, barking, howling, babbling, etc.  This is carnal, and not in any way related to the gift of tongues at Pentecost which was used to relay the Gospel to lost sinners.  When Abraham was old, he sent his eldest servant, Eleazar, back to his native land to find a Christian wife for Isaac.   Eleazar took with him, as gifts, many expensive items and ten camels, and set out for Mesopotamia.  Notice that the PURPOSE of the the "gifts" was to bring back a BRIDE for Isaac.  If Eleazar would have come back without the bride, he would have failed.  This is a good illustration of how foolish Charismatics are today.  Pentecostals make the gifts an END in themselves.  Do you think Abraham would have been pleased if Eleazar gave all the gifts away, but came back WITHOUT the bride?  Abraham would have been very angry.  This is what the Charismatics are doing today.  Instead of focusing on the main issue, which is SOULWINNING; they have focused on the gifts. 

Peter knew what he was trying to say.  Pentecostals openly admit that they don't know what they're saying when they speak in tongues.   Thus, Charismatic "tongues" is demonic.  There is absolutely NOTHING in the Word of God about speaking in some "unknown" language.  Acts 2:6 plainly states ,  "every man heard them speak in his own language."  The Biblical evidence against the Charismatic Movement is solid, and damning.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Pentecostal/madness.htm

So why the mumbo jumbo speaking in tongues when it was never recorded in the bible? why living a lie?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by FXKing2012(m): 9:18am On Feb 23, 2012
The apostles spoke in tongues after Jesus ascended. Jesus said when He goes He will send the Comforter to be with us. The Comforter is the Holy Spirit and that is why we are able to speak in tongues as Christians filled with the Holy Spirit.

But of course I dont expect you to understand this cos it is not giving to everybody to understand, only the children of the kingdom can understand it. Jesus said you dont give what is holy to dogs, otherwise the dogs will trample upon it and turn to attack you.

You just cant help but expose your folly. You know nothing about the Bible and here you are trying to talk about the contents of our Holy Book. If you have nothing else to do and u are bored why not go to bed.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 9:23am On Feb 23, 2012
@op

What do you say about this?

Acts 19:6
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:25am On Feb 23, 2012
FXKing2012:

The apostles spoke in tongues after Jesus ascended. Jesus said when He goes He will send the Comforter to be with us. The Comforter is the Holy Spirit and that is why we are able to speak in tongues as Christians filled with the Holy Spirit.

But of course I dont expect you to understand this cos it is not giving to everybody to understand, only the children of the kingdom can understand it. Jesus said you dont give what is holy to dogs, otherwise the dogs will trample upon it and turn to attack you.

You just cant help but expose your folly. You know nothing about the Bible and here you are trying to talk about the contents of our Holy Book. If you have nothing else to do and u are bored why not go to bed.

you are a shame on Christianity i tell ya!  grin

Wow! i wonder what other learned christians will think about your hurried write up without settling down to think it through.

If they spoke in an unknown tounge, why were they understood? why did the different races represented there understood what they were saying?

ask yourself that and rephrase your dumb argument.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Azibalua(f): 9:25am On Feb 23, 2012
1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Acts 19:5-7
5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve.

1 Corinthians 14:18
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Pls go back to childrens church so you can be properly schooled in the things of the spirit.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 23, 2012
Joagbaje:

@op

What do you say about this?

Acts 19:6
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

did you see the title of the topic?

Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:32am On Feb 23, 2012
Azibalua:

2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Acts 19:5-7
5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve.

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Pls go back to childrens church so you can be properly schooled in the things of the spirit.

You who dont even know what spirit means. It is still a mystery to you because you can't explain what you believe in.

But this is reality, creating a false doctrine. It pains me to see people behaving like idiots, mumbling mad words an sounding uncouth.

But focus on the tile of the topic: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!

So i've shown you where people spoke in Known tongues, now show me clearly where people spoke with unknown tongues, not with tongues (without the unknown)
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Joagbaje(m): 9:37am On Feb 23, 2012
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

1 Corinthians 14:14
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by LordReed(m): 9:44am On Feb 23, 2012
@diluminati
Read I Corinthians 14 before you expose your ignorance and venom.

It is clear that there are divers types of "tongues" and it is also clear you have an agenda not to learn truth.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by unphilaz(m): 9:46am On Feb 23, 2012
@joag
i like this scripture
you quoted, that is why i am careful about some christian sites/blogs discussing things they have little but "theological" understanding of the scriptures.
Joagbaje:

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: [size=15pt]for no man understandeth him[/size]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by TeeJay6(m): 9:46am On Feb 23, 2012
Joagbaje:

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Sir,
I commend you for having the patience to respond to the poster; it is obvious he/she is all out to condemn anything and everything christianity. So much so that he/she trawls the internet for any article that aligns with or supports her morbid hatred for christianity/church.
This latest attempt just goes to show how uninformed and desperate she is; quoting scriptural references without any sort of understanding of the context it was made.
I'll rather leave her type to keep trying to "kick against the pricks" knowing fully well that the same fate that befell Paul would one day(I pray) be hers,

And just for good measures read Isa. 28:11
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:46am On Feb 23, 2012
Carefully notice that no one in the Old Testament spoke in tongues.  In Acts chapter 9 we read of Saul's conversion (later to be called, Paul, the Apostle).  There is no mention of him speaking in tongues as an initial evidence of salvation.  A Samaritan woman (the woman at the well) was saved in John chapter 4; but we don't see any Biblical record of her speaking in tongues.  

There is no record of Jesus speaking in tongues.  

Paul never mentioned speaking in tongues in his epistles to the churches, except to the carnal church of Corinth.  The Apostle John wrote 1st John so we could KNOW we are saved (1st John 5:13); yet he never mentions speaking in tongues.  The book of Revelation never mentions speaking in tongues.  Clearly, Pentecostals have created a false religion.

But have you ever asked yourself why Paul wrote this only to the carnal church in corinth?

and secondly did paul declare it as a standard, a must for all y'all christians to follow?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by FXKing2012(m): 9:49am On Feb 23, 2012
Seriously are u really this daft or you are just pretending to be in order to seek attention? Again, if you dont know the Bible, pls dont talk about it cos it makes u look very stooopid.
The Bible verses below talk about speaking in unknown tongues, now pls shut it and stop exposing your folly in here.

I think we are giving her too much attention and she's really enjoying it.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 9:51am On Feb 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

@diluminati
Read I Corinthians 14 before you expose your ignorance and venom.

It is clear that there are divers types of "tongues" and it is also clear you have an agenda not to learn truth.

Tee_Jay:

Sir,
I commend you for having the patience to respond to the poster; it is obvious he/she is all out to condemn anything and everything christianity. So much so that he/she trawls the internet for any article that aligns with or supports her morbid hatred for christianity/church.
This latest attempt just goes to show how uninformed and desperate she is; quoting scriptural references without any sort of understanding of the context it was made.
I'll rather leave her type to keep trying to "kick against the pricks" knowing fully well that the same fate that befell Paul would one day(I pray) be hers,

dont be sentimental about it guys. dont you have your reasoning caps on?

Look at the title again: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!

If paul wrote that letter to the carnal church in corinth explaining some doctrines to them, does it mean there is some evidence that it was recorded people spoke in an unknown tongue? Try and get my drift here!
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by FXKing2012(m): 9:52am On Feb 23, 2012
diluminati:

But have you ever asked yourself why Paul wrote this only to the carnal church in corinth?

and secondly did paul declare it as a standard, a must for all y'all christians to follow?

Now she's trying to derail it cos she knows her stupidity has been made public.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by TeeJay6(m): 9:53am On Feb 23, 2012
diluminati:

dont be sentimental about it guys. dont you have your reasoning caps on?

Look at the title again: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!

If paul wrote that letter to the carnal church in corinth explaining some doctrines to them, does it mean there is some evidence that it was recorded people spoke in an unknown tongue? Try and get my drift here!
The only thing i get here is that you are drifting into heresy and perdition
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by victorazy(m): 9:54am On Feb 23, 2012
@ Poster, u must be a Jehovah witness member. Speaking in tongue is of two types (1) Speaking in foreign languages that u have never heard or spoke before "but general languages like English, French etc" has taken care of that. (2) Speaking on unknown tongue, a language that even you don't understand. This type is used to permit God to dismantle any unknown calamity in ur way or around u.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by purefella(m): 10:00am On Feb 23, 2012
@poster are you sure your bible hadn't been edited?? maybe you are reading a yet to come 2020 bible version ??
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 23, 2012
FXKing2012:

[s]Seriously are u really this daft or you are just pretending to be in order to seek attention? Again, if you dont know the Bible, pls dont talk about it cos it makes u look very stooopid.[/s]
The Bible verses below talk about speaking in unknown tongues, now pls shut it and stop exposing your folly in here.

I think we are giving her too much attention and she's really enjoying it.

hmmm i never knew christians could be this violent and insultive. yay!

This is what you use to justify speaking in mumbo jumbos. hmmm. Do you know paul is just like any other pastor that can make mistakes? you know paul is not your God or Jesus Christ, so stop hammering on what he wrote to the carnal church in corinth and face reality, you numb dumb.

Like i said theres is no where in the bible it is recorded that people spoke in unknown tongues. The Apostles spoke in the language, the different races of people could understand.

The whole idea of me posting this is this: The Apostles spoke in tongues people could understand, so they can talk to them about salvation and righteousness. It was a gift but it wasnt the means to an end. But today its a different parade all together, Charismatc and deluded Pentecostal see it as end. They rabble useless and meaningless words which no one understands and in delusion they think they speak in mysteries. But the main purpose of speaking in tongues as rightly pointed out by Peter and the Apostles (Not Paul) was to bring people into the fold, show them righteousness and show them the light. But hey, whats the nonsense we see nowadays. still carnal as the church in corinth. No wonder Paul severed ties with Peter.

But one question, have your speaking in mumbo jumbo ever brought anyone to light as the Apostles did?
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by MagicSheg(m): 10:04am On Feb 23, 2012
make una leave this girl jare, She is just doing her best to promote her belief even as her name suggest 'diluminati'. Sometyns are just not for babes (kids)!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by denitro(m): 10:14am On Feb 23, 2012
The poster is right,
Speaking in tongues is the easiest of God's gift for satan to imitate.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Skywalker5(m): 10:14am On Feb 23, 2012
I am a christian and the idea of speaking in tongues baffles me a lot. I use to think speaking in tongues was speaking a different language other than your mother tongue. Yet i am yet to hear people speak in tongues in other foreign languages.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 23, 2012
[size=18pt]"Tongues" simply means "Languages" in the Bible[/size]

It is extremely important for the Bible student to look up the word "tongues" in the Greek.  As you will find, "glossa" simply means "languages."  When the Bible speaks of "tongues," it ALWAYS is referring to a KNOWN, earthy, established language--never some mysterious, unknown, hocus-pocus, mumbo-jumbo.  The demonic tongues which the Pentecostals practice is NOT found anywhere in the Word of God.  Even the carnal Church of Corinth wasn't foolish enough to speak in some crazy language that even the speaker didn't understand.  This is clearly evidenced by Paul's constant mention of the necessity of an interpreter.  No one could interpret the garbage which Charismatics are babbling even if they tried.  They admit that they don't even know what they're saying.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by ayoade2: 10:15am On Feb 23, 2012
If you need this gift, all you need do is wait patiently in prayer and stay in faith. Looking for a good reason to convince yourself that the gift is not real because you dont have it after all efforts(and you dont really need to make any effort to have it because it is given freely), is not healthy for your spiritual progress. I have just prayed for you because I am already sensing a subtle satanic deceit leading you towards apostasy. because when you start doubting obvious spiritual truths and teaching others to do so, guess who your sponsor is? Satan of course. Do you know what the next idea he is going to sell to you will be? I am sure you dont want to know.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by karpentar: 10:17am On Feb 23, 2012
@Diluminati

Just shut up, you've lost this uncalled-for argument. May be you should seek for other dumb internet articles and post for further debates.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by FXKing2012(m): 10:18am On Feb 23, 2012
Pls people just leave @diluminati alone, it's obvious she's just an attention seeker with no real substance.

It amazes me how someone could just come out talking about a subject she has absolutely no knowledge of, what better way to tell the world you shouldnt be taken seriously.
Again if she doesnt believe in God what is she doing in religion section, she should go to romance or jokes where God is not discussed. It's easy to identify people that are unfulfilled and in search of something
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Delluminati,

You have just succeeded in making a fool of yourself judging from the responses a couple of people have quoted from the bible about understanding tongues.

Serves you right !!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by unphilaz(m): 10:21am On Feb 23, 2012
@ tongue talkers
While talking in tongues, i have taking the time to make my research and this was what i discovered on tongues.

Scientific perspectives
Neuroscience
In 2006, at the University of Pennsylvania, researchers, under the direction of Andrew Newberg, MD, completed the world's first brain-scan study of a group of Pentecostal Practitioners while they were speaking in tongues. Newberg found that the brain responds very differently than when nuns pray or Buddhists meditate. [/b]Several significant findings were identified. [b]First, although the practitioners spoke in a coherent language-like way, activity in the language centers of the brain actually decreased, which raises the question of where the language was coming from. This suggests that the brain contains other unidentified language circuits.

In this form of spiritual practice, Pentecostal practitioners temporarily suspend their system of beliefs (generated by frontal lobe activity, which decreases during glossolalia). This is similar to how creativity works in the brain; we basically enter altered states of consciousness, and this gives us a new perception of the world.
This could point to having a premonition etc

Other differences were found: Pentecostalists maintain a sense of God's otherness, whereas Eastern meditation traditions dissolve the self/other sense. Those practitioners tend to feel "at one" with the universe or God (the parietal lobe activity decreases). The emotional strength of glossolalic experiences also would leave a lasting imprint on the brain. In essence, different forms of prayer and meditation allow for different experiences of the world, reality, and the ultimate nature of God or the universe.

The brain scans also showed a permanent unusual asymmetry in thalamic activity, which was also found in Newberg's scans of nuns and Buddhists. This supports the theory that either intensive prayer permanently alters the brain, or that people with an abnormally functioning thalamus are more prone to having spiritual/religious experiences. It also suggests that intensive focusing on any idea stimulates a series of circuits in the brain that turn the object of contemplation into a physical reality. The study will published in the journal PSYCHIATRY: NEUROIMAGING in the fall of 2006, and is fully described in Newberg's book, WHY WE BELIEVE WHAT WE BELIEVE. Newberg is Associate Professor, Departments of Radiology and Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania and Staff Physician, Division of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System.

http://www.associatepublisher.com/e/g/gl/glossolalia.htm

You can also check this links also
http://www.religioustolerance.org/tongues5.htm
http://www.bible411.com/glossolalia/chapter4.htm
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by LogicMind: 10:22am On Feb 23, 2012
Pedofile worshipper = 1
Bastard son worshippers = 0
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by soma042(m): 10:23am On Feb 23, 2012
@ duluminati i figured your out to defend your madness. im sure your no a chriatian, cus if you are , you would have come accross in the bible were is writing that a sin against the holly spirite will not be forgiven. dont post anything you dont no of
thats why i never pity any mad person on the road cus you dont no what he has done or said with his mouth.
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by holydrunk: 10:24am On Feb 23, 2012
NIGERIAN HYPOCRITES!!! LEAVE THE POSTER ALONE,
SHE IS TELLING THE TRUTH,

PASTOR CHRIS! TB JOSHUA FOLLOW FOLLOW HYPOCRITES.

THE TRUTH IS REALLY PAINFUL, LOL

HYPOCRITES
Re: Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! by sweetnigar: 10:25am On Feb 23, 2012
1 Corinthians 14:5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Am Done With Intituitionalized Christianity, Would Stop Attending "church" / Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind? / David Oyedepo Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.