Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,763 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. - Jobs/Vacancies (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (76809 Views)

Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by WaffenSS(m): 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2015
Bryan12:
The blue screen is caused as a result of corrupted or missing windows files that might have been caused by improper shutdown or faulty harddrive.Mcsammy4u take correctiongringrin

Blue screen of death is mostly a hardware related error, faulty drivers, buffer overflow, or IO errors.

Take correction.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Valentinooo: 1:55pm On Dec 29, 2015
Rationalmind my man, congrats on your new job Bro. I was not notified of your mention at all. I was just checking some topics here when I saw a thread with your moniker, then I said this is my man and I must read. It was while I was reading I realised u already mentioned me. Congrats once again and wishing you the best in your new work place. smiley smiley

4 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by phranseeqz(m): 7:48pm On Dec 29, 2015
The journey to the top 'no be beans'. I've really learnt alot here. Rationalmind, ksstroud et al. Una too much. smiley

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by calculator123(m): 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2015
hustla:

Even me wey i study Mass Comm don know the answer since the days of Windows XP
please what the answer to the question?
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by projet: 9:43pm On Dec 29, 2015
rationalmind....boss I really appreciate ur kindness to share this....u have personally thought me alot with this piece.
and the rest of the guys,u guys are loaded n awesome.keep it up brothers..
pls am going to email u rational mind,do me a favour n reply thanks.

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Listic1: 10:26pm On Dec 29, 2015
Rationalmind: Please, is it common practice to use a personal letterhead to write a cover letter? Thanks.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 29, 2015
rationalmind:
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT LIES, IT MAY RUIN EVERY GOOD THING YOUVE SAID DURING THE INTERVIEW

I picked myself up after the airtel disappointment, downloaded numerous videos on how to overcome fear and how to build confidence.

So when I got KPMG assessment centre invite, confidence was the least of my worries. I was well prepared, digested my course to a satisfactory level and was already looking forward to working with them cos I knew I was destroying the interview which of course I did.

The interview started in no time and everything was fine, I answered all questions extremely well until one tall, slim dark guy asked this question I'll never forget.

So rationalmind, how come you're having all C's in your neco result? He asked

I responded by saying it's even miraculous I passed the neco as it was waec I really prepared for and just wrote neco for the sake of writing since I was sure I'll pass waec.

When the result came out, as I had predicted, my waec result was very fine but unfortunately, I had a D7 in chemistry and that rendered my waec result useless. Since then, I've been forced to use my neco result.

How many A's did you have in your waec? he asked.

I could have told the truth but I lied, I told him I had two A's when I had none. All I had were B's. I felt since I had given them my neco result and the result satisfies their requirement, it doesn't matter.

The interview ended in no time, I thanked them and left.

The following day, I got a call from them. "Rationalmind, you told us you have a waec result with two A's yesterday" the caller at the other end said.

Yes, I answered.

Can you please send a scanned copy of the result to us now? grin

I paused and said I wasn't at home but will do that once I get home. I needed time to plan my next line of action.

I sent my waec result like that and explained it was a mix up bla bla bla

The result was a regret mail grin

kudos grin
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by hardychris(m): 7:50am On Dec 30, 2015
Thanks so so much mr. rationalmind, you don't know what you have done for people, I know that God will bless you so much for this wonderful work.
Please can you be my mentor? There are things I would want you to put me through with, please I want to send you a pm sir.
Thanks once again.
rationalmind:

I'm glad the nonsense I wrote made sense. Lol. I'll add you on whatsapp so we converse better.

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Olajhidey22(m): 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2015
rationalmind:
I have been fighting two battles prior to opening this thread. One is if to open it at all, another is the form it's going to take. I almost decided not to open it again but my conscience never let me be. I just have to give back to the forum that immensely helped me.

Without being an ingrate, I'll like to start by thanking some very special nairalanders for their help and support at various times during the blue days.

To eipreel, words cannot describe how much I appreciate you. Your constant support while hunting is highly appreciated. You're the best I've ever met in my life. I love you kiss. Congrats on your "new job" with..... bank wink

To these great guys I say thank you. Thank you for being there at one point or the other. MacMaster01, ednut1, Highmey, mikedimeji, MarshallMathers, therealadonye, adeaks, Valentinooo, Tbliz, taiwolusol, nitrogen and several others I can't mention now.

To MissIndependent, kiss kiss thank you.

This thread is specially dedicated to every other job seeker out there especially those having problems nailing interviews.

I'll be sharing real life interview experiences and things I learnt.

I'll be right back.

Thanks for sharing this @rationalmind..... I bet you most if not every job seeker posses none of this qualities you just highlighted

I really find this experience worth sharing and i just updated the summary of it all on my blog. You can take a look at it here http://www.bussydave.com.ng/2015/12/things-i-learnt-during-interviews-no-one-will-tell-you/

May God bless and increase you the more!

What a great lesson and exposition!
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Lero15(m): 5:59pm On Dec 30, 2015
Chai. How come I'm just seeing this
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by OgaSirAde(m): 10:48pm On Dec 30, 2015
rationalmind:
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR COURSE OF STUDY.

I was just a raw job seeker, still serving, when I saw this job ad posted by MissIndependent. Fresh Corp members are needed at a firm in Ikoyi. Company was Montego Holdings.

Fast forward to the day of the interview, I was dressed in my favourite black shirt and black trouser with red tie looking like a ghost. grin

Full of confidence, I walked into the interview room to see a guy and a lady. In no time, the interview started.

So Mr rationalmind, you studied computer engineering? Yes, I answered.

So please tell us, what is computer engineering all about?

Right there in my mind I was like, what!!!, I spent the whole night reading about your company and common interview questions and all you're asking me is what computer engineering is all about?

I answered their question but I was so ashamed of myself. I struggled to explain a course I had spent six years studying (2 years in poly, 4 in uni).

After I finished, the guy looked at me and said, assuming my computer brings out a blue screen, what could be the likely cause?

I had no fucking idea. All I was taught in school were digital signal processing, artificial intelligence and a whole lot of courses that couldn't help me at that moment.

He then asked me another question which I got but it no longer mattered. They had seen all they wanted to see.

Right there, I learnt my first ever lesson. Which is to know everything there is to know about my course.

And of course, I was never called back grin

Not only dat. Also questions like how your course of study relates to the Job role you applied. As a matter of fact that is a major question askd in all interviews. They want you to expresss how your course of study relates to what you applied for. What is been tested is confidence, Analytical skills, and Thinking/Initiative skills. Etc
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by OgaSirAde(m): 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2015
rationalmind:
AN INTERVIEW IS NOT A DO OR DIE AFFAIR. TREATING IT AS ONE AFFECTS ONES CONFIDENCE

Few weeks to completing NYSC, airtel graduate trainee came out. Like every other applicant, I applied, did the online test and was invited for interview alongside 39 other candidates.

This time around, I had bought a white shirt which latter turned out to be my official interview attire. cheesy

Prior to the interview, I told myself I have to get the job and there's no room for failure. I thought by so doing, I'll push myself to my limits and prepare so hard. Unfortunately, that mindset was the exact reason I got a regret mail.

When my name was called as the next person to be interviewed, I can't remember how exactly I walked to the interview room. I was so tensed and so scared of failure that when asked to introduce myself, my voice was shaking. I tried so hard to stabilise my voice but I couldn't help it.

One of the interviewers noticed and tried to calm me down. She explained to me we are just having a chat and it's nothing serious. When she noticed it wasn't working, She asked where I served. Edo state, I answered.

Wow, so you served in the same state my mum comes from? I didn't say a word. Where in Edo state did u serve? She asked. Auchi, I answered. Wow, rationalmind, can you believe my mum stays in Auchi?

At that moment, in my mind, I was like, madam, leave all these ones, just ask me wetin u wan ask make I commot for here abeg grin

When she noticed I wasn't interested in the chit chat, she went ahead to interview me but of course, the interview was a disaster. I wasn't thinking.

I was asked what I'll do when I have several things to do with same deadline, nothing came to my head, I went blank. I could have simply told them I'll prioritise.

When I left the venue, I knew I had blown it up. When people told me I might be called, I just laughed cos I knew I'll never be called. My desperation to land the job took the better of me and that was my second lesson: Never to treat an interview like it's a do or die affair.

Correct[b][/b] always belief in yourself and never panic as a matter of fact see it as a way of marketing yourself and telling them your moniker. To the above wat dey were testing is dey want to knw your response skills to pressure/challenges/task whether you actual can handle such situations when they arise.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 31, 2015
WaffenSS:

Blue screen of death is mostly a hardware related error, faulty drivers, buffer overflow, or IO errors.

Take correction.

Just check the power cable.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by WaffenSS(m): 2:08pm On Dec 31, 2015
Linqsz:

How can it show a blue screen and error message if it's the power?
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 31, 2015
Linqsz:

blue sreen is most caused by faulty hardisk
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
WaffenSS:

The cable connecting the CPU to the monitor
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by WaffenSS(m): 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2015
Linqsz:

that'd only show you a "no Input" message, or a blank screen.

bsod displays error messages in hex.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by bababodmas(m): 3:55pm On Dec 31, 2015
Guys! Abeg leave all these computer problems alone! Dats not the essence of this thread! The thread is created for interview mistakes and how to submount them and not about any blue film displayed by a computer that needs to be substituted by a laptop! Thanks!
#justsaying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by tr3y(m): 4:29pm On Dec 31, 2015
Linqsz:

Lol I can't stop ROFL.
Power cable indeed.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2015
WaffenSS:

that'd only show you a "no Input" message, or a blank screen.

bsod displays error messages in hex.

Thanks for d correction
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by WaffenSS(m): 7:06pm On Dec 31, 2015
Linqsz:

Thanks for d correction

You're absolutely welcome.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by PAnaceA7(m): 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2015
This Thread has really been inciteful....Rationalmind u are Godsent...Still serving though,passing out April but I have a strong feeling 2016 would be my year...One of d reasons i joined nairaland is d fear of d unknown as regards job opportunities and what have learnt today cannot be quantified.....Thanks for all d contributions from you guys have really learnt a lot 2day.

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by jpphilips(m): 9:17pm On Dec 31, 2015
adeaks:

There is always something about your course that can relate....you only have to think deep and be inventive. You have to first realize that the people who invited you for the interviews were aware of your course before inviting you. If they didn't consider you employable with the course you read, they wouldnt have invited you at all. So by asking you that question they only want to see how far you can reason.

There is a senior colleague in my workplace, who read food and nutrition.(or something related) Now imagine what a food nutritionist is doing in an audit firm.

You can always ask yourself that how did she scale through the interview processes but as an example, if I am in her shoes, I can tell the interviewers that "a food nutritionist is trained to be very meticulous and observant, as a little too much of one ingredient can spoil a whole meal or maybe even render it harmful. These are traits that are also necessary for any auditor. An auditor has to have a good eye for details and also be patient and meticulous when going over the books of clients....."

You just have to link some of your skills to the job. It doesn't have to be the technical skills alone.

crap!! She is a product of IM
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by xxgig(m): 3:11am On Jan 09, 2016
I have followed this post from the first day, but never had the time to read along. Have been awake all night reading every single experience, questions and replies. Thank you rationalmind. Graduating with a 2.2 to a great extend limits the jobs I can apply for, hence have to make good use of every opportunity I get. Thanks again rationalmind and to all contributors to this tread.

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 4:14am On Jan 09, 2016
Osarieme415:
Can someone please enlighten me. I find it difficult to communicate a satisfactory answer when it comes to answering the "what are your strength/weakness" question. It simply unsettles me. How do I answer, without giving the impression that I am trying to impress or being dishonest

its a trick question . try to list as many of your strengths you can remember then name only one weakness and make sure you have an answer when you are asked how you intend developing your weakness. try to know what the company wants in their staff before hand and make sure your weakness ain't what they require if you need that job wink (lying or being honest is a personal decision and also on how much you want the job). e.e try you don't present well, rather than you have poor communication skills. the latter is general while the former is just a part of communication easier to solve. pick weakness like.. you are to competitive, too hardworking, you are a perfectionist. e.t.c.. be ready to explain or back up your self from this point. thamks

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Mcsammy4u(m): 2:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
WaffenSS:

I guess he wanted to say data cable, it always happens if the data cable is bad or is not well supported by the system.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by WaffenSS(m): 3:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Mcsammy4u:

I guess he wanted to say data cable, it always happens if the data cable is bad or is not well supported by the system.

Which one is data cable? You mean the VGA cable?

No. Blue screen of death happens even on laptops, Windows tablets, and AIOs. It just means memory discharge due to faulty hardware, or incompatible device drivers.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by H2Ossss(m): 6:19pm On Jan 11, 2016
@rationalmind.... plz i just sent u a pm...
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Oasoremi: 12:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nice write up. Some lesson's picked
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by mutombo(m): 4:26pm On Jan 13, 2016
Olajhidey22:

Thanks for sharing this @rationalmind..... I bet you most if not every job seeker posses none of this qualities you just highlighted

I really find this experience worth sharing and i just updated the summary of it all on my blog. You can take a look at it here http://www.bussydave.com.ng/2015/12/things-i-learnt-during-interviews-no-one-will-tell-you/

May God bless and increase you the more!

What a great lesson and exposition!
For the fact that rationalmind allowed you guys to copy his right up to your blog doesn't mean you shouldn't give appropriate reference to him. sad

i think this is not appropriate enough when you even know his moniker. [I happened to step on a thread on Nairaland where a guy (A then-Job Seeker) shared his experience on numerous interview he has attended and the various experience he has been able to gather from this different interviews he has been through.] undecided
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Raxxye(m): 7:33pm On Jan 13, 2016
I read everything. Good job, rationalmind et al.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by DexxyAlebs(m): 11:51am On Jan 23, 2016
Now I must recommend this thread to my friends

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

This Man Wants A Job At The Mortuary But He Failed His First Test (photos) / Nigeria Customs Service Applicants 2018 Thread / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.