Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (76776 Views)

Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Smeeky(m): 11:17pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:

shocked shocked suffering kwa?
We are talking about experience oooo, not suffering...
And it is everywhere worldwide, landing a mouthwatering gig has its STRESS...unless you are a relative of the said business owner cums director...
When you say mouth watering gig, I wonder what figure you are referring to....cos a girl in my department earns roughly N2.4m..so until I get to such amount, my pay is yet to be mouthwatering....more like Arm robber salary..Did I mention our regional manager earns around N13m grin.....Finance department na temptation I swear :'
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by tohpahz(f): 11:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
Rationalmind

Thanks a lot..
Would help mi in the future! I appreciate.
I like ur sense of humor too. cheesy
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 11:37pm On Dec 26, 2015
Smeeky:

When you say mouth watering gig, I wonder what figure you are referring to....cos I know a girl in my department that earns N2.4m..so until I get to such amount I can boldly say Mouth watering....more like Arm robber salary..Did I mention our regional manager earns N13m grin.....Finance department na temptation I swear cheesy

And I think you've analysed it yourself.... Peeps earn cool cash like that monthly...
Lolsss, that finance department you mentioned got me grin... Naso Bro, Audit and Finance department, tis FAT pay Ooooooooo...

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by nenergy(m): 11:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:

Go ahead bro
Nagode cheesy
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Smeeky(m): 11:49pm On Dec 26, 2015
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Smeeky(m): 11:49pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:

And I think you've analysed it yourself.... Peeps earn cool cash like that monthly...
Lolsss, that finance department you mentioned got me grin... Naso Bro, Audit and Finance department, tis FAT pay Ooooooooo...
Yeah...it's a sensitive department, cos managing money wey no be your own get as e be ooo...hand fit scratch u one day oo...I go just dey cry when doing bank reconciliation...the kind million wey I dey see dey fear me cry ....We will get dia sha undecided

With N13m salary fuvk entrepreneur for D next 10years
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:

Whatever topic you choose for your project, ensure you know it properly. I can bet you it will come up during an interview.

As for the bullet responses, I'll be back shortly

rationalmind going through your earliest posts I can see you were active in the Religion section and an agnostic (like me), hence the name.

Your head dey there bro. I now understand your brilliance. Free thinkers are usually the cream of the crop. I'm an interview veteran too; though older than you...almost 7 years deep.

Keep doing you, and congrats on your job. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by macuwon(m): 12:43am On Dec 27, 2015
Rationalmind why? Why? Why?

So you sidelined me abi, you didn't inform me of this thread?

And now, I arrived late.. The popcorn has finished but nevertheless the movie is educative, learnt alot! Thanks..
I won't forgive you next time

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Don4Harry(m): 12:56am On Dec 27, 2015
I love this thread. It's educating!
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by scarplanet(m): 1:34am On Dec 27, 2015
Nice one... well articulated... well done bro
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by mandonnels(m): 1:35am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:

smiley Glad you did learn from the write up.
learnt alot from u today thanks
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by SadiqDO(m): 5:39am On Dec 27, 2015
Hey, thanks for this compilation, rationalmind. It's been quite useful. Your type of grit and determination is something we all need but most lack.

Do you mind adding a summary post with the main points of the previous posts mentioned for easy review and reference by readers?

Thanks.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by firstking01(m): 6:31am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR COURSE OF STUDY.

I was just a raw job seeker, still serving, when I saw this job ad posted by MissIndependent. Fresh Corp members are needed at a firm in Ikoyi. Company was Montego Holdings.

Fast forward to the day of the interview, I was dressed in my favourite black shirt and black trouser with red tie looking like a ghost. grin

Full of confidence, I walked into the interview room to see a guy and a lady. In no time, the interview started.

So Mr rationalmind, you studied computer engineering? Yes, I answered.

So please tell us, what is computer engineering all about?

Right there in my mind I was like, what!!!, I spent the whole night reading about your company and common interview questions and all you're asking me is what computer engineering is all about?

I answered their question but I was so ashamed of myself. I struggled to explain a course I had spent six years studying (2 years in poly, 4 in uni).

After I finished, the guy looked at me and said, assuming my computer brings out a blue screen, what could be the likely cause?

I had no fucking idea. All I was taught in school were digital signal processing, artificial intelligence and a whole lot of courses that couldn't help me at that moment.

He then asked me another question which I got but it no longer mattered. They had seen all they wanted to see.

Right there, I learnt my first ever lesson. Which is to know everything there is to know about my course.

And of course, I was never called back grin
mr man...is it possible to knw everything about your course??...even professors dnt knw everything abt their course bawosad
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by dollyptosh(m): 7:03am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT LIES, IT MAY RUIN EVERY GOOD THING YOUVE SAID DURING THE INTERVIEW

I picked myself up after the airtel disappointment, downloaded numerous videos on how to overcome fear and how to build confidence.

So when I got KPMG assessment centre invite, confidence was the least of my worries. I was well prepared, digested my course to a satisfactory level and was already looking forward to working with them cos I knew I was destroying the interview which of course I did.

The interview started in no time and everything was fine, I answered all questions extremely well until one tall, slim dark guy asked this question I'll never forget.

So rationalmind, how come you're having all C's in your neco result? He asked

I responded by saying it's even miraculous I passed the neco as it was waec I really prepared for and just wrote neco for the sake of writing since I was sure I'll pass waec.

When the result came out, as I had predicted, my waec result was very fine but unfortunately, I had a D7 in chemistry and that rendered my waec result useless. Since then, I've been forced to use my neco result.

How many A's did you have in your waec? he asked.

I could have told the truth but I lied, I told him I had two A's when I had none. All I had were B's. I felt since I had given them my neco result and the result satisfies their requirement, it doesn't matter.

The interview ended in no time, I thanked them and left.

The following day, I got a call from them. "Rationalmind, you told us you have a waec result with two A's yesterday" the caller at the other end said.

Yes, I answered.

Can you please send a scanned copy of the result to us now? grin

I paused and said I wasn't at home but will do that once I get home. I needed time to plan my next line of action.

I sent my waec result like that and explained it was a mix up bla bla bla

The result was a regret mail grin

Omg!. This is so funny. Couldn't they just let it go
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 27, 2015
davide470:
Rationalmind, I was thinking it was only love letters to Eipreel you could write, cheesy now I am convinced otherwise. Lol.

This is truly a masterpiece! Thumbs up brother and Congratulations!

grin grin Where are the love letters?

Thanks bro smiley
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 27, 2015
firstking01:
mr man...is it possible to knw everything about your course??...even professors dnt knw everything abt their course bawosad

I think the subtle message is that we should have adequate information about our course of study. We should endeavour to be well - informed about our discipline. There's some level of self confidence that goes with that.

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by eipreel(f): 7:28am On Dec 27, 2015
Tbillz your thread made this happen despite the fact that you were bashed. Pls keep the good work up and don't get discouraged. God will reward you
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 7:33am On Dec 27, 2015
firstking01:

I just pray you do not learn the hard way like I did. Perhaps I'll need to share another experience to further buttress my point.

Just after my interview with montego holdings where I struggled to explain my course of study, I got another interview invite from AETI a day after writing the test. They were recruiting for NBC.

While I was reading about my course of study in preparation for the interview, I told myself this same thing you're saying. "How many things I wan read". I left reading about computers and computer engineering then focused on other things.

On the day of the interview, immediately after introducing myself. The first question was, rationalmind, can you please tell me the variants of windows 7?

Variants of windows 7? I asked the man. Yes, he answered.

Windows 7.0, Windows 7.1, Windows 7.2, I replied.

The wicked interviewer was just nodding his head and I was glad I had guessed right grin

The next question was, can you please tell me the variants of windows 8?

What is it with this man and variants of windows, I asked myself?

I replied again, windows 8.0, windows 8.1, windows 8.2.

He kept nodding his head and I was glad I perfectly guessed.

Several questions followed, some I got, some I missed.

As I came out of the interview room, I picked up my phone, opened Google and searched for variants of windows 7.

The result came and I saw windows 7 home, windows 7 professional, ..... grin

I searched for variants of windows 8, same thing.

I then remembered how the wicked guy was nodding his head. I felt so stupid.

When I got home, I went back to the very basics, I started reading everything and anything I could lay my hands on about computers and computer engineering. I've had enough.

Few days after the interview, MacMaster01 posted "guys" on the thread. I knew what that meant. I rushed to my mail, nothing. Checked my spam, nothing. I never heard from them.

So bro, while its true you can't know everything, please try as much as possible to know as many things as possible. It will save you the embarrassment I faced.

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 27, 2015
dearpreye:

I think the subtle message is that we should have adequate information about our course of study. We should endeavour to be well - informed about our discipline. There's some level of self confidence that goes with that.

The bolded nailed it. I couldn't have said it better.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by dollyptosh(m): 7:37am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:

I just pray you do not learn the hard way like I did. Perhaps I'll need to share another experience to further buttress my point.

Just after my interview with montego holdings where I struggled to explain my course of study, I got another interview invite from AETI a day after writing the test. They were recruiting for NBC.

While I was reading about my course of study in preparation for the interview, I told myself this same thing you're saying. "How many things I wan read". I left reading about computers and computer engineering then focused on other things.

On the day of the interview, immediately after introducing myself. The first question was, rationalmind, can you please tell me the variants of windows 7?

The wicked interviewer was just nodding his head and I was glad I had guessed right grin

As I came out of the interview room, I picked up my phone, opened Google and searched for variants of windows 7.

The result came and I saw windows home, windows professional, ..... grin

When I got home, I went back to the very basics, I started reading everything and anything I could lay my hands on about computers and computer engineering. I've had enough.

Few days after the interview, MacMaster01 posted "guys" on the thread. I knew what that meant. I rushed to my mail, nothing. Checked my spam, nothing. I never heard from them.

So bro, while its true you can't know everything, please try as much as possible to know as many things as possible. It will save you the embarrassment I faced.

looool
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 27, 2015
@macuwon

No Vex boss. I'll sure call you next time.

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by firstking01(m): 8:25am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:

The result came and I saw windows 7 home, windows 7 professional, ..... grin

stil u cnt knw all my brother...wat i 've come to realised abt such question is....the interviwer knws dat u cnt answer all...all he wants is key pointssad...u knw computer science is a general course...u dnt even need to go to skul to knw hw to operate computer...u can adopt d skill in any gud computer training center...for u dat studied computer engineering, in ur interviews dey must ask u questions that is much more related to computer, cos d world today is a computer world, unlike other courses...i went to write exam for I.T placement in weatherford and ppmc in nnpc...70% of d questions where computer based, imaginesad...and i'm studying mech engine, and it's only com111 dey taught me in nd1sad...althogh as God may have it...drillog petro-dynamics call me upcheesy

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by firstking01(m): 8:34am On Dec 27, 2015
dearpreye:

cool
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Smeeky(m): 8:43am On Dec 27, 2015
dollyptosh:
Omg!. This is so funny. Couldn't they just let it go
grin
he failed the integrity test....number one core value of every professional Accountant.

I hate kpmg grin....very wicked and blood sucking guys especially when you are a first year associate cheesy

But when them finish with you, you go become star...
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 9:05am On Dec 27, 2015
well after staying on this thread throughout yesterday dreamt all night of how I was bashing interviews ;Dlmaoooo a great way to impact knowledge.... n shout out to all the GS making this so very educative rationalmind ajas4link epireel smeeky dearpreye ksstround etc....

I have always believe in this philosophy of dedication, focus, hard-work and faith.
though still an undergraduate (final year) but learning from y'all should make it easier n a step ahead
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 27, 2015
hopsydboi:

well after staying on this thread throughout yesterday dreamt all night of how I was bashing interviews ;Dlmaoooo a great way to impact knowledge.... n shout out to all the GS making this so very educative rationalmind ajas4link epireel smeeky dearpreye ksstround etc....

I have always believe in this philosophy of dedication, focus, hard-work and faith.
though still an undergraduate (final year) but learning from y'all should make it easier n a step ahead

The biggest kudos go to the selfless originator and anchor of the thread, rationalmind. He's got a brave and kind heart. Kudos to the rest also.

Yes. Life requires us to be dedicated, focused and resilient. No short cut to real success. Happy Sunday.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by 6fit(f): 9:10am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR COURSE OF STUDY.

I was just a raw job seeker, still serving, when I saw this job ad posted by MissIndependent. Fresh Corp members are needed at a firm in Ikoyi. Company was Montego Holdings.

Fast forward to the day of the interview, I was dressed in my favourite black shirt and black trouser with red tie looking like a ghost. grin

Full of confidence, I walked into the interview room to see a guy and a lady. In no time, the interview started.

So Mr rationalmind, you studied computer engineering? Yes, I answered.

So please tell us, what is computer engineering all about?

Right there in my mind I was like, what!!!, I spent the whole night reading about your company and common interview questions and all you're asking me is what computer engineering is all about?

I answered their question but I was so ashamed of myself. I struggled to explain a course I had spent six years studying (2 years in poly, 4 in uni).

After I finished, the guy looked at me and said, assuming my computer brings out a blue screen, what could be the likely cause?

I had no fucking idea. All I was taught in school were digital signal processing, artificial intelligence and a whole lot of courses that couldn't help me at that moment.

He then asked me another question which I got but it no longer mattered. They had seen all they wanted to see.

Right there, I learnt my first ever lesson. Which is to know everything there is to know about my course.

And of course, I was never called back grin

how dem go call u back. D Q of blue screen is d core of Cop. Engr and u got it wrong. Anyway next time d ANS is if yur computer bring a blue screen it means some booting file are compromise either by virus or inproper shoting down...so all yu need do is repair the booting files or format d HHD using d instalation disk.... Alas! Am a psychologist not comp. Engr
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 27, 2015
6fit:

how dem go call u back. D Q of blue screen is d core of Cop. Engr and u got it wrong. Anyway next time d ANS is if yur computer bring a blue screen it means some booting file are compromise either by virus or inproper shoting down...so all yu need do is repair the booting files or format d HHD using d instalation disk.... Alas! Am a psychologist not comp. Engr

I'm sure you weren't taught that during you psychology classes smiley

I wasn't taught as well, perhaps, I need not be taught.

The point is, employers don't care if you're taught or not. They expect you to have a good idea about what you studied and anything that relates to it.

And lastly, the question of blue screen is not the core of Computer Engineering. You must think repairing and fixing computers is what it means to be a Computer Engineer.

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 27, 2015
@ewosk

Greetings boss. Long time.

Where are you? Ib or Warri
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by zieraw2005(m): 10:35am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:
STRUCTURE YOUR ANSWERS, PREPARE BULLET AND DETAILED RESPONSES

I once read the diary of a joblander. Beau49 I think. She talked about preparing so hard for an interview with stanbic ibtc. It suddenly occurred to me just as she's preparing hard, others are equally preparing hard and interviewers won't take everybody. So it all boils down to who has the best response. In my experience, the detailed one is, the better.

What do I mean?

While I was being interviewed, A question came up. Rationalmind, tell us about your project in school.

I could have said, The tittle of my project is the design and construction of a 5kva voltage regulator. Incorporated in my design were four relays, a microcontroller.........

This was how I answered.

"You'll agree with me that in Nigeria, voltage fluctuation is a very common phenomenon. This voltage fluctuation results in conditions known as over voltage and under voltage. Over voltage occurs when the voltage level goes above the nominal voltage range which is 220-240V and under voltage is the reverse.

These voltage anomalies damage our household appliances and as such, a device that regulates voltage comes as a relief. As a result, I set out to design and construct a 5KVa voltage regulator also known as stabilizer. Incorporated in my design were four relays......" The interviewers obviously were pleased with my response.

You'll agree with me if two applicants were to be asked that question and they had the same project topic, the second will most likely get the job.

Another important thing is to prepare bullet responses. Have at least bullet responses to, why do u want to work for us? Where do you see yourself in five years time? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What do you know about this company?

I had bullet responses to all those before going in and was praying they ask one of them. Luckily, I was asked where I see myself in 5 years time.

By the time I finished, one of the interviewers asked if I wanted to be a governor? grin I asked him why?

He told me my answer was more of a brilliant manifesto and I should consider politics. grin

Another told his fellow panelists, "this guy really needs this job" he came very prepared grin

In my mind, I was like, you guys should thank your stars you only asked one of the questions I was hoping you'll ask. grin At that point, I knew the battle was won and it wasn't much of a surprise when two weeks later, I got a mail stating

You are one of 7 candidates selected based on your......

And before I end this, yes, I unleashed my passion weapon. Told them my love for telecoms made me volunteer to work in a telecoms firm without pay cheesy.

Follow all these hidden lessons especially the ones on passion, detailed and bullet responses and you're close to landing your dream job.

Bro thanks for this info.
I missed UBA job cos of these questions. Introduce yourself and why UBA.

Please can you assist me with those vital points?
I studied Environmental Resource Management
My project topic was "effect of hard drug abuse in tertiary institutions, case study of Abia State University" but I took it to my department to sample . my email is zierawdgnomic@gmail.com

I am still seeking for job.
My grade is BSc 2.2

Currently working as CCR with one of telecom giants in Nigeria.
It's contract job oooo.

Thanks bro.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 27, 2015
zieraw2005:

Bro thanks for this info.
I missed UBA job cos of these questions. Introduce yourself and why UBA.

Please can you assist me with those vital points?
I studied Environmental Resource Management
My project topic was "effect of hard drug abuse in tertiary institutions, case study of Abia State University" but I took it to my department to sample . my email is zierawdgnomic@gmail.com

I am still seeking for job.
My grade is BSc 2.2

Currently working as CCR with one of telecom giants in Nigeria.
It's contract job oooo.

Thanks bro.
lols lemme try ....been in your seat I will go like this.... I am blabla bla.... A graduate of environmental resources management(won't state d 2.2 as most employers consider 2.1 better) so d focus will be on other strength. A member of so professional certifaction acquired(if any) then stating my skills, both technical n soft skills. In few words no story n very well you have to harmonize it to meet d requirement of the job. And why UBA just show d passion rationalmind has been talking about. U shld av know quite a lot about the organisation vision,mission statements n philosophies....explain how those philosophies meet ur passion.

From my stand my name is Opeyemi Joseph, 24 years of age, from imo state, a graduate of environmental resources management in one of Nigeria prestigious university, a member of the Nigeria institute of personnel management. An honest individual with accountability as my priority to meet daily demands of life. I was d president of the department for the 2011 session with an award of merit for accountability and my achievements. And why UBA I have always prioritize organizations with core values of accountability and hard work(I don't know of uba tho...just example) and with my endless passion for always been in a banking industry to be one day name as one of d great drivers of the industry.. uba z one of the best place to do that better.

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by activelyA(f): 11:17am On Dec 27, 2015
rationalmind:
AN INTERVIEW IS NOT A DO OR DIE AFFAIR. TREATING IT AS ONE AFFECTS ONES CONFIDENCE

Few weeks to completing NYSC, airtel graduate trainee came out. Like every other applicant, I applied, did the online test and was invited for interview alongside 39 other candidates.

This time around, I had bought a white shirt which latter turned out to be my official interview attire. cheesy

Prior to the interview, I told myself I have to get the job and there's no room for failure. I thought by so doing, I'll push myself to my limits and prepare so hard. Unfortunately, that mindset was the exact reason I got a regret mail.

When my name was called as the next person to be interviewed, I can't remember how exactly I walked to the interview room. I was so tensed and so scared of failure that when asked to introduce myself, my voice was shaking. I tried so hard to stabilise my voice but I couldn't help it.

One of the interviewers noticed and tried to calm me down. She explained to me we are just having a chat and it's nothing serious. When she noticed it wasn't working, She asked where I served. Edo state, I answered.

Wow, so you served in the same state my mum comes from? I didn't say a word. Where in Edo state did u serve? She asked. Auchi, I answered. Wow, rationalmind, can you believe my mum stays in Auchi?

At that moment, in my mind, I was like, madam, leave all these ones, just ask me wetin u wan ask make I commot for here abeg grin

When she noticed I wasn't interested in the chit chat, she went ahead to interview me but of course, the interview was a disaster. I wasn't thinking.

I was asked what I'll do when I have several things to do with same deadline, nothing came to my head, I went blank. I could have simply told them I'll prioritise.

When I left the venue, I knew I had blown it up. When people told me I might be called, I just laughed cos I knew I'll never be called. My desperation to land the job took the better of me and that was my second lesson: Never to treat an
interview like it's a do or die affair.
At what point in one service year do u advise a corp member to start job seeking and applications

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

This Man Wants A Job At The Mortuary But He Failed His First Test (photos) / Nigeria Customs Service Applicants 2018 Thread / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.