Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? (6640 Views)

7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues / Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by Anita1875(f): 12:13pm On Dec 27, 2015
Happy Sunday everybody.
I chose to create this topic because I am in a very confused state at the moment. I have worshipped in a lot of different denominations of churches and I must confess it is very difficult to understand the christian faith of today. On this issue of speaking in tongues, some churches believe and teach that speaking in tongues is a very integral aspect of Christianity. For example, today I attended ..... church of God and the pastor wouldn't stop emphasizing d need to speak in tongues (at least 3hrs daily). He even said you don't need to concentrate while doing it. i.e you can speak in tongues while held in a traffic jam, while cooking, washing (anytime actually).
Some other churches however posit that Christians should stop joking with tongues i.e stop speaking in tongues out of impulse.
I personally believe speaking in tongues should happen rather involuntarily when in the spirit. I just might be wrong though.

I want to sit back and learn from the Bible scholars in the house. Thanks
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by analice107: 12:56pm On Dec 27, 2015
For you Sister, Have you cared to find out from the Bible what it says about the matter?

Thank God you can read, you have eyes you can see. You have access to the Holy Spirit. Why not read the Bible with understanding with the help of the Holy Spirit.

The Bible calls Him, our helper. What does he help you do? He is a teacher, what does he teach you?.
Find out things for urself dear. The arm of flesh shall fail you--- meaning, if u depend on man, he will mislead you.

For one thing am so sure of is, when I speak in tongues, I speak not to any man but to God. the language of Tongues is called Christianese. Its an heavenly language. I love to talk to my father, when I call him, we speak our native language, that's how it is with my heavenly father.

And going by ur assertion, you have attended many churches, what are you doing attending many churches? what are you looking for that's not in one?
seek a relationship with Yahweh, then you won't need to look for Him in different places.

shalom.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 27, 2015
Many xtians are confused because dey hav not had an encounter with God. When u hav an encounter with God, every misteries of life would be solved. Psalm 25:14 "The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, And He will show them His covenant".
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 27, 2015
Knowing d tins of God is not by being a Bible scholar it is by d spirit of God.
John 14:26
“But the Comforter,which isthe Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by ebeneade(m): 2:41pm On Dec 27, 2015
Speaking in tongues is an integral part of Christian living, u don't have to do three hours like ur pastor because we are different nd we grow gradually, if it's ten minutes u can do daily that means u are a super human, nd believers are spiritual, u jez have to be conscious of it, so u are always in the spirit but u jez have to b conscious that u are by always praying in tongues, jez maintain 10 minutes daily nd see if you won't crave for more...... Mind u speaking in tongue is very effective if u also create time for the word.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 27, 2015
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SPEAKING IN TONGUE

1. Speaking in tongue is one of d gift of d Holy Spirit like the gift of prophecy, dreaming, word of knowledge, seeing visions etc. Acts 2:4 "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues [ a ] as the Spirit enabled them" and Joel 2:28 “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by judedwriter(m): 3:00pm On Dec 27, 2015
Speaking in tongues is key to power in the supernatural and open door to the miraculous-even victory in spiritual warfare. Every true child of God SHOULD seek to speak In tongues after the baptism of Holy Spirit. Without it, a christian is severely limited.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by bxcode(m): 3:00pm On Dec 27, 2015
It is not compulsory to speak in tongues but as a born again Christian who wants to flow in the gifts of the holy spirit, speaking in tongues is inevitable and it's not something you just start doing anyhow, you must seek it diligently more than anything else, with the help if the holy spirit you will receive it effortlessly.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by David0(m): 4:14pm On Dec 27, 2015
It is not compulsory, neither is it a must for u to have it as a Christian.

It's called a gift out of the 9 gifts of d Spirit.

In the book of Act on d day of Pentecost, d Bible made us understand dat some, not all, were speaking in tongues, others had other gifts. Some had more than one, some just one.

The gift u get as a Christian determines d role God wants u to play in d preaching of the gospel.

So if u don't have d gift of speaking in tongues and u crave for it, then ask God for it.

Don't start speaking gibberish like some ppl who just want to feel among.

It's not compulsory and doesn't determine ur making heaven.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by vooks: 4:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
There is an excellent book on this topic that mirrors my stance;
https://www.nairaland.com/2002518/skeptics-guide-tongues-prophecy

What I'd advise you is to seek scriptural proof of any statement made on any subject
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by ebeneade(m): 7:24pm On Dec 27, 2015
Look for this book by kenneth E Haegin titled "why tongues"
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by dpwinx(m): 12:09am On Dec 28, 2015
Good evening ma, i'll love to share some things with you about Tongues.
Is it necessary to speak in Tongues?? Yes ma.
Must you be in the spirit to speak in Tongues?? No ma.. People confuse Tongues with being in Trance..see Acts 10:9-20 for a typical example of trance.. John 4:14 says the water i shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing into everlasting life'.. And remember that the Holy spirit is nt a foreign obeject but a person meant to dwell withing christains.see John 14:17.. The Tongues is within you and you open your mouth it springs out.. I had a problem dealing with the issue as a new convert..
Why Tongues??
In the book of Acts 1:8, Jesus addressing his disciples said 'but ye shall recieve power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you....' Christ promised them power after recieving the Holy Ghost, but when the Holy Ghost descended on the day of pentecost, the book of Acts 2 made us to understand that the cloven Tongues sat upon each of them, and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost... Act2:3-4..
Immediately, they began to speak in Tongues as the spirit gave them utterance... Lets see other circumstances in which people recieved the Holy ghost. You'll notice that in the book of Acts 19:6 it was recorded that Apostle Paul laid his hands on some ephesians who were believers but yet to recieve the holy spirit and Immediately they started speaking in Tongues... There are numerous instances i the Bible that people recieved Tongues after being imparted with the Holy spirit.. Don't mistake it, speaking in Tongues is a Gift because you don't labour for it, the Father gives it.. But don't forget what John 14:14 says 'if ye ask anything in my name, i will do it'... Why not ask the Father in heaven and he will bestow it on you... Don't be decieved, most great men of God whose ministry flourish now and in the past worked in the realm of speaking in Tongues... To sum it up, speaking in Tongues is the manifestation of the baptism of the Holy spirit... Just pray to the Father whole heartedly, within a week or so... U'll discover that u have the urge swelling within you to speak in new tongues while praying...

Recommended text
-school of the sprit by Robert Liardon
-Good morning, Holy spirit by Benny Hinn.
-Tongues: beyond the upper room experience by Kenneth E Hagin
-Holy spirit my senior partner by David Yongi Cho
-A detailed study of the whole book of Acts.
The GOODNEWS is that you can download most of the books online.
Read the books and you will understand the concept of the Holy spirit with simplicity and clarity.
#shalom
Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by godjb(f): 1:37am On Dec 28, 2015
This is where most Christians got it wrong. Speaking in tongues is not mandatory for a true child of God. Though I speak in tongues of man and angel yet have no Love, am a noise maker. You discover that miracles don't flow in churches during service becos so called christains don't have the fullness of the holy spirit, rather each man believes that so far he can speak incognito speech (not language this time), that he had the spirit in manifestation. If speaking in tongues is an achievement for today's christians then interpretation of tongues should also be as equal as speaking in barbarous noise. Or rather tongue.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by godjb(f): 1:47am On Dec 28, 2015
The biblical speaking in tongues is different from today's incognito noise called tongues. When a spirit inspired tongues are uttered according to the source of tongues speaking in bible, the people around saw strangers speak there mother language. So in summary, there is only speaking in tongues if it is tongue of men, not a fake christain claiming he speaks heavenly tongues.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Speak In Tongues As A Christian? by Anita1875(f): 12:23pm On Dec 27, 2016
godjb:
The biblical speaking in tongues is different from today's incognito noise called tongues. When a spirit inspired tongues are uttered according to the source of tongues speaking in bible, the people around saw strangers speak there mother language. So in summary, there is only speaking in tongues if it is tongue of men, not a fake christain claiming he speaks heavenly tongues.

hmmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Most Powerful Pastor In Nigeria / Words Of Wisdom From Lucifer / Is Thanksgiving Biblical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.