Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

On Secession: A Legal Perspective - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Secession: A Legal Perspective (10385 Views)

Good Bye To Secession, A United Nigeria!!! / Falae: Yoruba Leaders Threaten Secession From Nigeria If… / 1953 - Nnamdi Azikiwe Speech On Secession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dedetwo:

There are certain things constitutional provisions or lack thereof cannot stop in human nature. When groups of people have cultivated the idea of secession, there is no legal teaching that can stop it. It may takes years yet it must come to accomplishment.

Acknowledged. But it's not enough to cultivate an ideology but also to plan on achieving the objective. For example I can plan on becoming a billionaire but if I don't work towards becoming one and work within legal parameters. I'd either end up broke or end up in jail. It will just be a pipe dream.

So what I am saying is for serious Biafrans to put heads together and plan. The way I see it, a straight forward secession really seems extremely difficult under any circumstance which includes war. So another path may be fighting for fiscal federalism which would be fought by multiple groups. Already, the entire southern nigeria want some form of autonomy. So it's an easier fight to weaken the center.

Just one man's opinion

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Anticabal: 7:45pm On Dec 29, 2015
kayfra:
Let's say by an "Act of God" a referendum was conducted in the SE and whichever part is included in the proposed Biafra and it passes whatever criteria needed to secede (we can get into what it really takes to get a referendum in a different post). I envisage a looming legal conundrum which will make the actualization of Biafra a major hurdle. We don't have any provision for secession in our Constitution so we need an amendment. Without an amendment, anybody can sue the legality of the new Biafra and break it up in a courtroom.

Long and short of this is, in addition to getting a referendum, we also need a constitutional amendment. The process to amend the constitution is separate from a referendum and it involves the entire country getting to vote on the amendment.

To be honest with you, I think we need Tom Cruise.

Legal perspective needed to correct me if I am wrong. Serious contributions appreciated.

Oga you dull no be small. The absence of referendum in your fraudulent constitution that even the Daura DSS use to wipe their butts does not delegitimiize referendum. If the law is silent on a certain thing, that thing cannot be said to be illegal.
There was no referendum in the british constitution that allow the scots to have their say and your constitution is modelled after the British constitution. So go and siddon or go school.

2 Likes

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2015
kayfra:

Acknowledged. But it's not enough to cultivate an ideology but also to plan on achieving the objective. For example I can plan on becoming a billionaire but if I don't work towards becoming one and work within legal parameters. I'd either end up broke or end up in jail. It will just be a pipe dream.

Bros there is no discrete approach to solving certain problems. What you may term as "the way" may be considered as "no way" by another individual. I have not seen anything wrong with the approach of IPOB and MASSOB. These groups have kept the awareness of their movement alive for many years and getting large number of people equally interested in them.

2 Likes

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 7:51pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dedetwo:

Bros there is no discrete approach to solving certain problems. What you may term as "the way" may be considered as "no way" by another individual. I have not seen anything wrong with the approach of IPOB and MASSOB. These groups have kept the awareness of their movement alive for many years and getting large number of people equally interested in them.

If there job id to establish awareness before the real battle begins then they've done good. But you need to be aware that outside of an awareness, their job is done.
Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2015
Anticabal:

Oga you dull no be small. The absence of referendum in your fraudulent constitution that even the Daura DSS use to wipe their butts does not delegitimiize referendum. If the law is silent on a certain thing, that thing cannot be said to be illegal.
There was no referendum in the british constitution that allow the scots to have their say and your constitution is modelled after the British constitution. So go and siddon or go school.

Lack of comprehension is your problem and even though I am altruistic, brain transplant is still not feasible.

Self determination and secession is what we lack in our Constitution, not referendum. You can hold a referendum to ask people if they should rename your hamlet to New York City.

When you get over your dyslexia and a slow brain, then contribute. In the absence of that S.T.F.U.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2015
kayfra:

If there job id to establish awareness before the real battle begins then they've done good. But you need to be aware that outside of an awareness, their job is done.

Bros any group that has radio waves beaming broadcasts to people who ordinarily would not know their existence has jobs and in my book doing well too.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:57pm On Dec 29, 2015
OfoIgbo:
I disagree with you.

Bear in mind that the 1999 constitution is a fraud, because at no point did Nigerians convoke a conference in which the constitution was put together
It was the military ruling class, who were mainly from the north, that concocted that constitution and even had the audacity to say WE THE PEOPLE....

What it means is that ICJ can make a ruling that invalidates the contents of Nigerian 1999 constitution based on the fact that is was not really adopted by all the peoples the constitution was meant to hold together. Legal agreements e.g a constitution must be adopted by all parties whose interest the constitution is meant to protect.

You can even argue that at no point did Nigerian agree to invalidate the 1979 constitution which Buhari and his fellow coupists destroyed. I'm sure the 1979 constitution has provisions for those that commit treason, which of course includes Buhari. This can even be roled back to the 1963 repiblican constitution e.t.c

Bottomline is that once UN gets involved, there is nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that the Nigerian government can do to stop self determination, if the se and much of ss opt to go that way
Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 7:57pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dedetwo:

Bros any group that has radio waves beaming broadcasts to people who ordinarily would not know their existence has jobs and in my book doing well too.

Which is awareness. Awareness is separate from the main plans for actualization.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by TRUTHTOPOWER: 7:57pm On Dec 29, 2015
United Nations by its charter of 1945 IS NOT a supranational government. The Corfu Channel case, 1949; Nicaragua case of 1986. laid to rest the principle of non-interference and territorial sovereignty. This principle itself became part of customary law of nations (jus cogens) as far back as 1648 under the Treaty of Peace (Westphalia).

Territorial Sovereignty being part of just cogens is also regarded as a pre-emptory norm that cannot be modified except by another norm of similar character. The famous exceptions are under humanitarian laws. for you to invoke IHL, there must be armed conflict to such an extent that shocks the conscience of humanity. Think of Libya Syria, Sudan, Rwanda and Somalia. this will bring about the principle of Responsiblity to Protect or Uniting for Peace.

Remember that UN was already in existence prior to the civil war of 1967. the humanitarian conditions then only attracted sympathy of the international community. Nigeria has assumed greater status in the UN now. Keep the Palestine struggle in mind.

From the above the rule is clear: no interference. successes in separations such as USSR was internally achieved by relevant parties.

Will Biafra be an exception to the UN rule? who knows. but you cannot invoke UN without the abhorrent levels of humanitarian conditions as we have in every other place where UN intervened. At that, Only South Sudan after 30 years of civil war could lay claim to success.

Is there a way to Biafra. Yes. Dialogue! The alternative under UN HAS BEEN war - WITHOUT A SINGLE EXCEPTION.

Keep in mind that Diplomacy is the language of UN not threat or insults of whatever kind. UN has never considered threats and insults as a legitimate mode of communication in any of its august meetings. cheers!

N.B. Kayfra. you may wish to expand your original post in the light of international principles above.

OfoIgbo:
I Bottomline is that once UN gets involved, there is nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that the Nigerian government can do to stop self determination, if the se and much of ss opt to go that way

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by zendy: 8:21pm On Dec 29, 2015
baralatie:
There is no clause as such in the constitution!
That is why it is an offence to ask for secession of any kind!
You can only ask for state creation ,local government creation or local district authority

[b] Some people make me laugh. The constition is not greater than the people. When it comes to the issue of Nigeria and the secession question, there are important questions to answer:

Who mandated Lugard to create Nigeria?

Did Lugard seek the permission of the indigenous ethnic such as Yoruba, Hausa and Igbos before he lumped them together?

Did the ethnic groups willingly give up their sovereignty for the creation of Nigeria?

Answering these questions, one finds out that Nigeria is an illegal entity. A fraud has no legitimacy. When Lugard created Nigeria with the 1914 amalgamation, he inserted a clause in it that after one hundred years, any of the ethnic nationalities which was not happy with Nigeria was free to go. Something similar happend with Hong Kong. Britain signed an agreement to control Hong Kong for 100 years. In 1997 after 100 years, Britain withdrew administration of Hong Kong. The reason why referendum is very important is because it is the only thing which grants a country legitimacy. Nigeria remains an illegal entity without it [/b]

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Super1Star: 8:23pm On Dec 29, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:
United Nations by its charter of 1945 IS NOT a supranational government. The Corfu Channel case, 1949; Nicaragua case of 1986. laid to rest the principle of non-interference and territorial sovereignty. This principle itself became part of customary law of nations (jus cogens) as far back as 1648 under the Treaty of Peace (Westphalia).

Territorial Sovereignty being part of just cogens is also regarded as a pre-emptory norm that cannot be modified except by another norm of similar character. The famous exceptions are under humanitarian laws. for you to invoke IHL, there must be armed conflict to such an extent that shocks the conscience of humanity. Think of Libya Syria, Sudan, Rwanda and Somalia. this will bring about the principle of Responsiblity to Protect or Uniting for Peace.

Remember that UN was already in existence prior to the civil war of 1967. the humanitarian conditions then only attracted sympathy of the international community. Nigeria has assumed greater status in the UN now. Keep the Palestine struggle in mind.

From the above the rule is clear: no interference. successes in separations such as USSR was internally achieved by relevant parties.

Will Biafra be an exception to the UN rule? who knows. but you cannot invoke UN without the abhorrent levels of humanitarian conditions as we have in every other place where UN intervened. At that, Only South Sudan after 30 years of civil war could lay claim to success.

Is there a way to Biafra. Yes. Dialogue! The alternative under UN HAS BEEN war - WITHOUT A SINGLE EXCEPTION.

Keep in mind that Diplomacy is the language of UN not threat or insults of whatever kind. UN has never considered threats and insults as a legitimate mode of communication in any of its august meetings. cheers!

N.B. Kayfra. you may wish to expand your original post in the light of international principles above.

God will,bless you beyond measures in 2016.

Some are just mentally lazy and prefer to dwell on their propaganda to make themselves feel good and happy.

Both routes , whether dialogue or war, are very long tortuous path. The only difference is one will bring mystery, woes, destruction and blood along with it.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 8:23pm On Dec 29, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

Brilliant!

I'll add them but I assumed people knew the limits of UN charter. Oh well. Great post!

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by HiddenShadow: 8:25pm On Dec 29, 2015
zendy:

[b] Some people make me laugh. The constition is not greater than the people. When it comes to the issue of Nigeria and the secession question, there are important questions to answer:

Did Lugard seek the permission of the indigenous ethnic such as Yoruba, Hausa and Igbos before he lumped them together?

Did the ethnic groups willingly give up their sovereignty for the creation of Nigeria?

Answering these questions, one finds out that Nigeria is an illegal entity. A fraud has no legitimacy. When Lugard created Nigeria with the 1914 amalgamation, he inserted a clause in it that after one hundred years, any of the ethnic nationalities which was not happy with Nigeria was free to go. Something similar happend with Hong Kong. Britain signed an agreement to control Hong Kong for 100 years. In 1997 after 100 years, Britain withdrew administration of Hong Kong. The reason why referendum is very important is because it is the only thing which grants a country legitimacy. Nigeria remains an illegal entity without it [/b]

Just ignore him

By the time Nigeria is told to provide a document backing her existence, it will become clear to people like him that Nigeria is a nation without the backing of the peoples agreement.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Super1Star: 8:28pm On Dec 29, 2015
zendy:

The constitution is greater than the people until it is amended to suit the people's wish. Infact the constitution will also state how you can amend it.

It is the manual that shows the working and modes operandi of a nation and her people.

For referendum to even stand, or refere-whatever, the constitution must even recognise it or else it is null and void, as seen in the case of the catalonians in Spain and Quebec in Canada and UN CANNOT do nadal, as in zilch, about it.

The approval of anybody was not sought before we were lumped together as a nation. That is a well known fact.

However, the world powers and divided the continent among themselves in 1878 and there is nothing you cannot do anything about it except by going to war or your constitution is amended to recognise referendum and plebiscite .

2 Likes

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by HiddenShadow: 8:29pm On Dec 29, 2015
I laugh at people who thinks that UN referendum can't take place in Nigeria when it took place in Britain/ Scotland.

Nigeria better negotiate now that there is time

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 8:32pm On Dec 29, 2015
TRUTHTOPOWER:

Per the bolded, what of war? I still remember Eritrea. We are speaking too much grammar on the need for group of people to go their separate ways. Any group of people with territorial entity which it can call home land has every pedigree to sue for self-determination. It is unfortunate that what Africans crave about is war. Twins usually go their separate ways talk less of people with nothing in common except contraption created by the British.

2 Likes

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Super1Star: 8:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
HiddenShadow:
I laugh at people who thinks that UN referendum can't take place in Nigeria when it took place in Britain/ Scotland.

Despite the fact that referendum is entrenched in UK constitution, it took Scotland almost 200years to enforce it. How much more you that your constitution does not recognise it.

2 Likes

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 8:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
zendy:

Let me help you answer this

1. That angle was explored by Oduduwa group and Niger Delta while they were agitating on the eve of the so called expiry date. Here is what they found out from SAN lawyers and I quote:

"

Vanguard News

You are here : Home » News »

Will Nigeria expire legally today?…lawyers tackle ethnic nationalities
December 31, 2013 at 2:00 am

By HUGO ODIOGOR, CLIFFORD NDUJIHE & WAHAB ABDULAH

CONTROVERSIES ruled the polity, yesterday, over whether or not Nigeria will cease to exist as a legal entity after 12 midnight today.
A conglomeration of ethnic nationality groups said going by the Amalgamation Treaty of January 1, 1914, which joined Northern and Southern protectorates to create Nigeria with a life span of 100 years, the country will expire at 12 a.m. today.
Professor Akin Oyebode, a lawyer, said Nigeria will not expire because the amalgamation was not put in place by a treaty, but by an order in council by the British Parliament.
Nigeria
Oyebode has a soul mate in legal icon, Professor Itse Sagay (SAN), who argued that there was no law that automatically gives a treaty 100 years life span.
However, the ethnic nationalities, which included Federation of Oodua People, Middle Belt Congress, Lower Niger Congress and Oporoza House, which congregated on the banner of Movement for New Nigeria, MNN, insisted that Nigeria would become history after today and urged all Nigerians to embrace the national conference to agree on fresh terms of co-existing."

2. Lets even say for a wild reason, what you say is true then understand that Nigeria was created by amalgamation of Southern nigeria protectorate (present day SW, SE, SS and maybe some parts of the mid-belt) and Northern nigeria protectorate. So breaking it returns us back to North and South, nothing called Biafra.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 8:35pm On Dec 29, 2015
kayfra:

Which is awareness. Awareness is separate from the main plans for actualization.

I guess such plans are not meant for public consumption.
Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dedetwo:

I guess such plans are not meant for public consumption.

Buhahaha. Funny.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2015
HiddenShadow:

Referendum can take place in Nigeria. Implementation of a favorable outcome would not be constitutional unless you amend our Constitution to support the secesion that comes with the result of the referendum.

I thought people understood my post.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 8:39pm On Dec 29, 2015
Super1Star:

Despite the fact that referendum is entrenched in UK constitution, it took Scotland almost 200years to enforce it. How much more you that your constitution does not recognise it.

Per the bolded, I guess United Kingdom does not have a written constitution. We really have wise Nigerians.
Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by baralatie(m): 8:39pm On Dec 29, 2015
zendy:

Let me ask a very simple!
Who created Ghana,Zambia,Liberia,sierra Leone,Togo,Rwanda, Tanzania,GabonEgypt,Algeria,cape Verde and Malaysia.
Who created China,south Kore,north Korea,
Who created the u.s.a
With all the multi ethnic nature of the black continent, was there any referendum to be split 3000 ethnic groups into 53 countries and give them names!
Look at south Africa,was there referendum from the Zulus and et al for Afrikaans to claim indigeneity

2 Likes

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by zendy: 8:43pm On Dec 29, 2015
Super1Star:

The constitution is greater than the people until it is amended to suit the people's wish. Infact the constitution will also state how you can amend it.

It is the manual that shows the working and modes operandi of a nation and her people.

For referendum to even stand, or refere-whatever, the constitution must even recognise it or else it is null and void, as seen in the case of the catalonians in Spain and Quebec in Canada and UN CANNOT do nadal, as in zilch, about it.

The approval of anybody was not sought before we were lumped together as a nation. That is a well known fact.

However, the world powers and divided the continent among themselves in 1878 and there is nothing you cannot do anything about it except by going to war or your constitution is amended to recognise referendum and plebiscite .

The constitution is greater than the people who made it? What a laugh. The people own the land, the land never owns the people.

Your constitution remains an illegal document because the union of Nigeria that created it is illegal. That's like saying that you going to court for a divorce when you were never married in the first place

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Super1Star: 8:44pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dedetwo:

Per the bolded, I guess United Kingdom does not have a written constitution. We really have wise Nigerians.

Stating hey do not have a written constitution does not mean they do not have guiding documents they used as constitution which includes statues, treaties, verdicts etc.

That is their form of constitution.

Who says a constitution must be written as "We the people of ......"?

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by HiddenShadow: 8:46pm On Dec 29, 2015
Super1Star:

I don't need to waste my time arguing with you

Keep deceiving yourselves instead of negotiating on how to win them back

Let me tell you one secret

Why Nigeria waste precious time harassing Kanu, his men are using Nigeria's blunder to mobilize more people on their side

By the time Nigeria shortchanged the Igbos and her allies , what happened in Indonesia will occur in Nigeria

By then, his movement will take the bull by the horn.

I don't need to talk too much but remember time is running out.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by kayfra: 8:47pm On Dec 29, 2015
LIke I said before, the more this is discussed the less you find viable paths to achieve Biafra. No easy paths to tread. One will involve a lot of apologies and ass kissing which the indigenes simply can't do, the other will guarantee loss of lives and property. Either path does not guarantee a favorable outcome.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Super1Star: 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2015
zendy:

The constitution is greater than the people who made it? What a laugh. The people own the land, the land never owns the people.

Your constitution remains an illegal document because the union of Nigeria that created it is illegal. That's like saying that you going to court for a divorce when you were never married in the first place

Why doe the military set aside the constitution when they take over and they institute military constitution of Decree?

The constitution or Decree gives a legal backing to the people's activities.

You can say whatever you like about the constitution in the comfort of your room, the bottom line and the unfortunate part of it it is binding on you till tomorrow morning.

It is hard to seek a divorce when you have been legally binded, though you were minor and naive when the marriage solemnisation took place.

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by HiddenShadow: 8:50pm On Dec 29, 2015
kayfra:

Referendum can take place in Nigeria. Implementation of a favorable outcome would not be constitutional unless you amend our Constitution to support the secesion that comes with the result of the referendum.

I thought people understood my post.

When Referendum takes place and most wants out, Nigeria has no choice but to accept.

If Nigeria refuses to accept , I will tell you what will happen if only mods like mynd won't ban me.
Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by baralatie(m): 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2015
zendy:

Fortunately,the constitution as at now was duly entered and the sovereign nation Nigerian was fully accepted by its representatives (both politically,socially and historically)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2015
Super1Star:

Stating hey do not have a written constitution does not mean they do not have guiding documents they used as constitution which includes statues, treaties, verdicts etc.

That is their form of constitution.

Who says a constitution must be written as "We the people of ......"?

Per the bolded, you in particular have harped all morning about what or what not is entrenched in 1999 Nigerian constitution. Are you this aloft?

1 Like

Re: On Secession: A Legal Perspective by Dedetwo(m): 8:53pm On Dec 29, 2015
kayfra:
LIke I said before, the more this is discussed the less you find viable paths to achieve Biafra. No easy paths to tread. One will involve a lot of apologies and ass kissing which the indigenes simply can't do, the other will guaranty loss of lives and property. Either path does not guarantee a favorable result.

I know sure way is war.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari With Zhang Dejiang, China's chairman Of The Standing Committee / Beyonce Eulogizes ‘igbo Spirit’ Behind The Biafran Struggle In New Video (photos / "How Can This Pretty Lady Marry Him?" — People React To Pictures Of Adama Indimi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.