Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake (3106 Views)

Obasanjo Responsible For Yar'adua, Jonathan's Failures - Tunde Bakare / Is Yar'adua A Tribalistic President? / Yar'adua - A Curse In Disguise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by sabaestate(m): 9:05am On Jun 12, 2009
Washington, DC — Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir El-rufai, has acknowledged it was a huge mistake on his part to have helped in the election of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua even as he said that former President Olusegun Obasanjo only accepted reforms out of necessity.

El-rufai also said the creation of the new Niger Delta ministry is a "political gesture" and unecessary bureaucracy that will fail to solve the problems facing the troubled region. Instead, he advocated the deployment of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) in the implementation of an aggressive development plan similar to that of Abuja.

The former minister made these remarks at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, D.C., while delivering a speech titled "Nigeria: Political Dynamics and Prospects for Reform."

El-rufai moaned what he said was the unwillingness of President Yar'adua to accept the economic reform agenda when he became president.

Asked if he does not partially bear a responsibility for supporting the president during the campaign, El-rufai replied in the positive.

"I played a role to get him elected because I thought he could run Nigeria. He was not a bad guy, so we thought he could do it and we worked to help him get elected.

"After two years, I have reviewed everything and think we made a mistake. That does not mean we should not acknowledge it. People made decisions based on information then," he explained.
Although, President Obasanjo personally selected Yar'adua, El-rufai says the former governor enjoyed goodwill among the power players because he performed relatively well in his native Katsina State.El-rufai accused the Yar'Adua administration of paying lip service to the fight against corruption, embarking on what he described as a "disingenuous" campaign against the oppositon and dragging its feet on the approval of the report of the Niger Delta Technical Committee submitted in November 2008.

He argued that Obasanjo bought into the reform agenda that proved highly successful only because he was compeled by circumstances to do so. To back his argument, he stated that Obasanjo wanted the write-off of the $30 billion Paris Club debt he inherited as his economic legacy, hence his willingness to toe the line.He further explained that the EFCC under the Obasanjo government was established as a token step to satisfy one of the requirements of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to remove Nigeria from the list of non-cooperating countries in international financial transactions.The agency thus "got a new lease of life not with the establishment of EFCC but the accidental appointment of the passionate and committed Nuh Ribadu as Chairman," he claimed.

To butress his point, El-rufai cited the case of the former military President Abdulsalami Abubakar, who he says also agreed to reform only because there was need to engage with multilateral agencies at the time when oil priced collapsed to about $10 per barrel in 1998.

"That situation of near-bankruptcy of the Federal Government enabled us to get the Staff-Monitored Programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) signed and the Privatisation Decree enacted in record time by the military junta," he argued.

While not questioning President Obasannjo's love and genuine intentions for the country, El-rufai maintained that reform was not his goal when elected in 1999. Obasanjo was however "courageous" to accept the reform agenda in the midst of competing political interests by politicians determined to sustain the status quo, El-rufai explained.

Regarding the Niger Delta Ministry, the former minister said there is enough bureacuracy already and creating a ministry was the wrong approach to development challenges. He suggested the NDDC should to operate like the Federal Capital Development Authority at the inception of Abuja.

The president could appoint someone with a good reputation and integrity as the CEO, preferably from outside the region. It should be run professionally to reduce the political pressure from different states and experts hired from various fields to get the job done.

Giving an example on why parastatals run more efficienctly than ministries, El-rufai said he was compelled to shut down the Ministry of Abuja when he came into office because it was not functional.

"Because the problems of the Niger Delta require a regional solution and not a state-based solution, not distributing contracts, not buying buses, that will not solve the problem. You need to implement an infrastructure development programme, an economic strategy similar to what was designed for Abuja," he stated.

The former minister stressed the importance of political and electoral reforms. He admitted that one of the mistakes of the economic team during the Obasanjo government was their failure to realise that politics "trumps everything everyday."

That mindset caused the team, mostly technocrats, to avoid getting deeply involved in the political process, thereby suffering marginalisation and the reversal of policy directions, he claimed

Nigeria requires what he described as a revolutionary political movement without violence in order to progress, he noted.

Another speaker at the event, Mr. Carl Le Van concurred when he said that a domestic movement is needed in the country. This movement, accordign to Van could include former politicans with genuine intentions and expertise who are currently unemployed.

Politics at the state level can also be strenghtened as a buffer against weakness at the federal level, he added.

El-rufai who recently graduated with an MA in Public Policy and Management from Havard University Kennedy School of Government said President Barack Obama chose to ignore Nigeria and travel to Ghana in order to support good governance in that country.

That move indicates that Nigeria's quality of governance has deteriorated, he added.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=145797
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by MrCrackles(m): 10:00am On Jun 12, 2009
Pssssf!
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by chidichris(m): 10:09am On Jun 12, 2009
at least those who believe in obj will have to be reading all these nonsense.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Lagosboy: 10:16am On Jun 12, 2009
Some one should put a padlock in this loud mouth and tell him to shut the F**k up. This is the same man being accused of 32 billion and has made a runner from Nigeria, this was the same man accusing Atiku of thieving when they both stole at the privatisation board, this is the same man that bought govt house for himself when he left power. It is the same man in conjustion with one Jimi lawal stole and stole, God knows how many houses el rufai has in Lagos and Abuja.

He his out of power now and trying to win the sypathy of Nigerians and playing on the short memory of the Nigerian populace. We will not forget that fast el Rufai you are a hypocrite and when you get some appointment you will shut your mouth up again . . . . . typical of a telephone coin box.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by biola44: 11:23am On Jun 12, 2009
one day, grin
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by SegzyJoe(m): 11:45am On Jun 12, 2009
@post
the last three posters above my post are the most subjective posters on nairaland. I have followed their post for quite some time now and I realized that their perspective on issues is myopic, subjective and uninformed.

I advise you guys to open up a bit and atleast be objective in your subsequent posts.

The primary qualification of an analyst is to be informed on a particular subject of discussion, but when such simple qualification is compromised, then there is little room for intellectual discussion.

Now on the subject matter of this post, I have no doubt that El-Rufai is more informed than any one of you on this issue. Atleast, he participated in most of the major decision in the last administration and his information is not based on the news media which is the source of information to most frivolous posters on nairaland. Funny enough, majority of these media houses are owned by people El-Rufai revoked their plots and demolished their houses for one crime or the other.

I bet El-Rufai is 100 times better than most lazy posters on nairaland.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by otukpo(f): 11:49am On Jun 12, 2009
El Rufai is not better than anybody, so he shld shut his mouth up.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Ournaija: 12:10pm On Jun 12, 2009
Let him return all the money he has stolen then we will believe that his intentions are genuine. This must be another Alam.

Conscience fighter indeed.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by joshO: 12:21pm On Jun 12, 2009
Leave El Rufai alone, and stop basing ur judgement on the mostly prejudiced Nigerian press.

I have  a lot more respect for el rufai that ALL the goons making public, derogatory comments about him.
He and Ribadu are simply victims of payback, Nigerian style. Afterall, here's a nation where fraudstars and ex-cons are honoured and even become senior special advisers at large to sitting presidents!
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Kelvinj(m): 12:29pm On Jun 12, 2009
F**k El-rufai nd any1 who tink he is any gud, is he any beta. Kettle call pot black.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Ilelobola: 1:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
SegzyJoe:

@post
the last three posters above my post are the most subjective posters on nairaland. I have followed their post for quite some time now and I realized that their perspective on issues is myopic, subjective and uninformed.

I advise you guys to open up a bit and atleast be objective in your subsequent posts.

The primary qualification of an analyst is to be informed on a particular subject of discussion, but when such simple qualification is compromised, then there is little room for intellectual discussion.

Now on the subject matter of this post, I have no doubt that El-Rufai is more informed than any one of you on this issue. Atleast, he participated in most of the major decision in the last administration and his information is not based on the news media which is the source of information to most frivolous posters on nairaland. Funny enough, majority of these media houses are owned by people El-Rufai revoked their plots and demolished their houses for one crime or the other.

Hence you being objective and presuming he's telling the truth. Surely no one can be so gullible especially where Nigerian politicians are concerned.

Couldn't agree more with someone that said if he's invited to rejoin the government he would shut his mouth and get on with it.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by olivetree: 1:36pm On Jun 12, 2009
Can El-Rufai just shut his mouth and stay put in his hiding? If he is a saint as he is trying to sound, why has he been running from Nigeria since?

Or does he think we re fools? And for those defending him, goodluck to you guys.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by alex406(m): 2:43pm On Jun 12, 2009
This man is the same man that rendered so many people homeless in Abuja, Things are happening in Nigeria.I wonder why he is vomiting his tongue this time around.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by LadyT(f): 2:44pm On Jun 12, 2009
See theif can he explain how the hell he can afford all the fantastic and EXPENSIVE education he is giving his 10 plus kids?

Who paid for his relocation to the US?
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by MrCrackles(m): 2:44pm On Jun 12, 2009
LadyT:

See theif can he explain how the hell he can afford all the fantastic and EXPENSIVE education he is giving his 10 plus kids?

Who paid for his relocation to the US?

Does relocating cost that much?
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Fhemmmy: 3:01pm On Jun 12, 2009
Let him speak, so that we can at least know the kinda fools we have been for leaders and had for leaders.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by LadyT(f): 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
Brash it does cost hella money. He claimed he went to study who is paying for it?
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by nkybabe: 3:24pm On Jun 12, 2009
you guys should not backbite urselves oh ova Nigeria's governance.We all hav 2 pray 4 dem.El-rufai should not critize anybody cos he not a saint eida.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Lagosboy: 3:30pm On Jun 12, 2009
SegzyJoe:

@post

I dont think anyone has made reference or doubted el Rufais source of information but what we are saying his he has no moral justification to talk all the ninsesne he his talking about. Here his a man whose case is in court and wanted for questionable dealings talking rubbish in the US. At least Ribadu isnt wanted for corruption. In the west someone like that will keep shut and bury his head in shame, the south korean former leader committed suicide for allegations of yet to be proven corrupt deals.

El Rufai was part of the govt the forced this yradua on us, they were part of the ochestrated worst election in the history of Nigeria, they were part of the rigging and manipulation of Inec, they were part of the whole process and now he his cruing foul because he has lost influence in the administration. He his a coward , otherwise why stay in the US and talk rubbish . He should go back to Nigeria and make all this claims. If you are reading this El rufai, be a man and go face the allegation against you in Nigeria clear your name and we will all believe you are saint and free from corruption.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 12, 2009
Nigeria is in trouble.

How does a Nation make progress when its people have no clue what is right for the country.

I doubt if a man who oversaw the tranformation of Abuja into the beauty it is really wants to see our country fail.

I find it amazing that people still accuse El-Rufai of 32Billion even after Babalola has confirmed that the money was actually in FCT account after El-Rufai left office. This is exactly why journalist report anything they like. Because they know that when they report a scandal it sticks, but when the report is rebutted people don't take note.

The message is very clear, the people are very gullible. If you tell them that Ibori, Turaki, Kalu, Odili, Alamesigha, Tinubu, Yerima are actually Elder Statemen while Ribadu and El-Rufai are the true thieves, they will agree so long as it is Printed on Thisday, Tribune, Vanguard, the Sun.
People wont even try to draw a link between the owners of this newspaper and what their interests are in these issues.

All I can say is sorry for Nigeria. There is truly no hope in sight.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Edoji: 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2009
Lets tell him: Good Morning!
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by royalicon(m): 4:15pm On Jun 12, 2009
They are all birds of same feathers, liers, corrupt devil.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 12, 2009
royalicon:

They are all birds of same feathers, liers, corrupt devil.

Ibori's strategy is working

Paint all man with the same brush so that the people get disillusioned and trust no one

when that happens the people have no hope and retreat to their corners and then the Status quo will have a free ride.

This has been the case for so long, and at this rate Nigeria will be worse of in the Next 50years.
We will not make any progress while our population continues to increase. That is a recipe for a failed state.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by MrCrackles(m): 5:00pm On Jun 12, 2009
LadyT:

Brash it does cost hella money. He claimed he went to study who is paying for it?

I am sure he has some money saved up, stolen or not!
Or maybe some powerful folks outhere are backing him financially! tongue
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by LadyT(f): 5:13pm On Jun 12, 2009
MrCrackles:

I am sure he has some money saved up, stolen or not!
Or maybe some powerful folks outhere are backing him financially! tongue

Of course they all run off to the USA when the kitchen gets to hot for them. They often end up in some prestigious university doing something pointless.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by chykeo(m): 5:33pm On Jun 12, 2009
This El Rufai guy isnt as seasoned as I thought he is.

I am even better than him

I had the sense not to support YarAdua

I voted against him.

Na them foist the guy on us

Because he is not benefitting now from the government

Na im make am dey yarn opata now.

Nobody 4 dey regret if una listened to me and supported PAT UTOMI[i][/i]
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by otokx(m): 5:34pm On Jun 12, 2009
elRufai should stop making noise.
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by TheSeeker(m): 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2009
El-Rufai is nothing but a stinking hypocrite. What's with all the lands he shared among themselves? What about the money he stole? Why can't he come to Nigeria and face the perils of his actions? Why can't he come and prove his innocence. He can only tell those in the United States because they don't know what's goes on here. So he didn't know their administration made a mistake until now that he had no access to have an office as his birthright as other politicians with whom he served together in OBJ's administration? What a shame! I do think we have no hope in sight of having a good leader and as a matter of fact, he should block his mouth and bury his head in a trash can. He is WORTHLESS. Ribadu was man enough to face the retrogression of his actions, however, he was not accused of stealing, Can someone tell me where Waziri put all of Tafa's loot?
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by FrankC3: 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2009
El-Rufai may be a robber and a thief, i am not that much of his fan but believe me when i tell you that the guy delivered on the job he was given. We saw results. He has a large mind that can attempt big dreams and this is what YRD lacks that made him to chase the guy around. This guy delivered on the job. This guy may be bad but he is not the quota system type, he is actually against it. He adviced his countrymen to drop lazyness and be more competitive. He can work with focused mind and high level of discipline.

Do not be deceived, YRD is not attacking El-Rufai because he is corrupt but to build political alliance with political heavyweights whose plots were revoked and whose houses were demolished to give the unborn Nigerians a beautiful Abuja. YRD is only using this guy as a pawn. YRD lacks gut and anybody with guts irritates him. I am not saying that ELR is a saint but he is better than anybody presently in position of power in the YRD executive from my judgement anyway.

Lets look beyond the press twisting and push aside this desire to see a devil in any political office holder. It blurrs objective interpretation of happenings in the political space. I refuse to believe with some of us that there are no Nigerians, well highly placed today who are doing their job the way it should be done, not asking nor receiving bribe and willing to ascend the institutional hierarchy only on merit. There are many like that and that is what i want to believe. It keeps me hoping!
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by bawomolo(m): 7:06pm On Jun 12, 2009
who cares how he feels at this point
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 12, 2009
El rufai should shut the $%$ up bloody thief. Before expressing regret about his support for El rufai he should explain why he gave Nitel to Pentascope whose headquarters was suituated in a church in Amsterdam that ended up crippling Nitel further. he should also account why he brought JIMI LAWAL who was declared wanted by Abacha for crippling Alpha Bank in the late nineties and ran to Usa. El rufai rehabilitated him and brought him to help in the Fct ministry as a consultant(front to help him siphon money).
Re: El-rufai - My Support For Yar'adua A Mistake by PapaBrowne(m): 9:15pm On Jun 12, 2009
See ignorant Nairalanders in action. No wonder !!!
No wonder Nigeria is this useless. It is not the leadership, it is the people that is the problem.
See nairalanders writing rubbish about someone that is been persecuted because he tried to fix Abuja.
I pity for Nigeria!
El Rufai is a man of intelligence and he brought Abuja some glory.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sanusi Is A Sadist And A Thief Looking For Investment He Can Steal. / JIMI AGBAJE Is Winning In Lagos State. / Call Biafra Agitators To Order-SGF Tells Igbo Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.