Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,485 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? (5832 Views)

Poll: Are We The Giants?

Yes: 38% (29 votes)
No: 61% (46 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Africa Number 1 Economy Gaint / Ghana, The True Gaint Of Africa? / Read This! Is Nigeria The Gaint Of Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by oluwafemi113(m): 7:31am On Jun 19, 2009
Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa?

yes with all the good reason above
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by AjanleKoko: 8:58am On Jun 19, 2009
Nigeria is a giant in terms of population only. Politically I'm not so sure anymore.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Kenyanstar: 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2009
It would appear then that:
(a) we are a nation of incorrigible opportunists and thieves; and
(b) we are incapable of learning from history.
Taking a gamble is part of the human condition, but to do so in the face of a direct threat to your life and that of others is criminally insane.

Recent incidents, and WITH ALL DUE RESPECT to the dead and the injured in the tanker fires, mob lynchings,militant attacks, rape victims that have dogged your times — from Abujai to Lagos and now South of the country— it is time you faced up to reality and asked the hard question: What is it about Nigerians that makes them so suicidal?

Tanker fires and the subsequent deaths and casualties have become so much a part of our national fabric that one might be tempted to believe that we are doomed never to learn from history. The worst part about it is that the death and destruction is, in large part, self-inflicted.

The overturning of an oil tanker is simply an event. You have chosen to turn such incidents into a national crisis with a regularity that boggles the mind. A tanker goes down and crowds stream to the scene armed with jerricans as though they were just waiting for the whistle.

From Lagos to Abuja, young people stare brazenly into television cameras and declare that they couldn’t care less if they die as long as they get their share of the loot. It beats logic, but little else does in these crazy times. That there should be a blatant replay of such recklessness beyond Incident One should be enough to raise the red flag in a land ruled by the law.

That it should happen so often is enough reason for us to get blazing mad, if only for the sake of those who suffer collateral damage due to curiosity, or simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Nigerias claims of being a giant is blatant wishfull thinking
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Thirdborn: 11:06pm On Jun 19, 2009
When the term 'Giant of Africa was coined i believe they just meant in terms of population. cos thats all we can brag about and nothing else. Agbaya of Africa suits us better sha.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by SweetT1: 12:16am On Jun 20, 2009
Nigeria is a giant in comatose
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:21pm On Jun 20, 2009
Greatness in terms of population is laughable. No nation is deemed great
just because of an over-bloated population alone.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by ronald0: 11:51am On Jun 22, 2009
We define ourselves as the giants of Africa based on our population and land mass and yet have no electricity, fraudulant politicians and people. We have hgh inflation, poor infrustructure and lets tell the truth our education system isn't as great as we think it is, for we are producing half baked graduates that can't apply their education to develop and benefit the country, a lot of them can even write in English properly. Based on these facts we are Giants of Africa but "big for nothing".
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 12:50pm On Jun 22, 2009
This whole giant of africa thing makes africa look stupid, this implies that it only takes oil and population to become a giant?
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:36pm On Jun 22, 2009
remove the oil money (which is being shared by politricians) and we're nothing.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 8:51am On Jun 23, 2009
I think this whole giant of africa thing undermines the potential of other african countries. Before you know it, Nigeria(the heart of africa, the trigger of africa, the giant of africa, the etc of africa) will be the most hated country in africa by africans because of its ego. Reality says, there is no Giant of america, Giant of Asia, Giant of europe then why create one for africa? If so, then Nigeria is the giant of africa based on attributes they created for themselves therefore any african country can be giants based on their unique attributes. Nigeria is no better country than any other african country(so is SA and egypt) for them to think so is ridiculous. As far as know(i might be mistaken), i believe there is a military crisis in Niger Delta(Oil) and their is huge slum areas(Population) so i conclude by both oil and population has created bigger problems than making nigeria a giant.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Kx: 8:57am On Jun 23, 2009
Sure,we are the Giant of Africa

But I think,South Africa is the King of the Giants
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 9:03am On Jun 23, 2009
South Africa is not better than Nigeria, Tunisia, Egypt etc. It has good infrastructure though but it is run by idiots who got voted for by idiots
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Bolarge(m): 9:12am On Jun 23, 2009
yoruba:

South Africa is not better than Nigeria, Tunisia, Egypt etc. It has good infrastructure though but it is run by idiots who got voted for by idiots
Word! grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by yoruba: 9:20am On Jun 23, 2009
Apart from Botswana, Africa is run by idiots
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by mzansigirl(f): 7:26pm On Jun 23, 2009
@ yoruba
this is about nigeria, no need to insult SA voters
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by mpompo: 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2009
Nigeria is fast loosing its place as the giant of Africa. the Name globally is synonymous with fraud, cyber crime, corruption to mention but a few. Obama chosing to visist ghana in his first year of his presidency is an indication we may have lost it.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by dnex(m): 7:50pm On Jun 23, 2009
For the very last time, let me say it that Nigeria is not the Giant of anywhere. All along, Nigeria was just Nigeria but I think this giant of Africa name started among those of our parents that started destroying this country in the '80s because they could not account for anything tangible that Nigeria was good for at that time so they threw up the giant of Africa and it caught on.

Nigeria has the most numerous amount of people in Africa and that is where it ends. By land area, we're even a child.

Please let it be that I'm hearing the very last of this Giant of Africa matter.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:51am On Jun 24, 2009
empty barrels make the most noise grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by qblaze(m): 9:04pm On Sep 12, 2009
What the heck is GAINT?

Did you mean Giant?

Or Gaunt?

Or Cunt?
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Jaybee2412(m): 11:28am On Sep 13, 2009
Yes Nigeria is the giANT of Africa  grin grin grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:31pm On Sep 13, 2009
**grins** grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by emyah(m): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2009
mzansigirl:

@ yoruba
this is about nigeria, no need to insult SA voters
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by emyah(m): 1:43pm On Sep 14, 2009
George_D:

remove the oil money (which is being shared by politricians) and we're nothing.

excluding lgbos.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:56pm On Sep 14, 2009
excluding igbos? that's not true. somehow the oil money finds it's way east.
that is what is used to buy all those goods our people love to import so much! grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 14, 2009
My guys Bob Dee and Becomrich will agree with me that Benin Republic is the Giant of Africa.
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2009
giant from behind? grin
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by Princek12(m): 10:39pm On Sep 14, 2009
Naija people are the giants of Africa, not Naija the country
Re: Is Nigeria Really The Gaint Of Africa? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:06pm On Sep 15, 2009
giant in corruption or what? shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Invades Mandawari Police Station In Kano / How We Will Give Jonathan The “malawi” Treatment In 2015 – Kwankwaso / 10 Shocking Fact About North Korea That Makes The Whole World Hate Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.