Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,844 members, 7,817,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? (73524 Views)

Lady And Her Workers Made To Sleep Outside After Working For A Client. Photo / Access Bank Plc Salary Structure: How Much Does Access Bank Pay Staff? / Access Bank Frontline Internship 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
richyblink1:

Correct boy, abeg take five.

Guy, it was a testimony when I left in 2011. Imagine working from 7am-11pm daily and still attending MPR on Saturdays. You dare not get sick because you must report to the office. To even get approval for your annual leave is world war 111.

You will be asked to report to work on Sunday in the name of doing review. Kai!!! We really hear am that year, all in the name of answering WARRIORS.

During OJC , operations staff were asked to get 500 accounts while relationship officers were asked to get 1000 accounts.

It was really snake in the monkey shadow

Chai... OJC!!! High Blood Pressure recipe. Staff had to buy accounts *falls down laughing*
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by richyblink1(m): 11:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

Ok, you make sense there.

But you can achieve the same result without being a tyrant.

Do you know over 90% of Intercontinental bank staff resigned instead of working with Access? It wasn't just worth it.

If not for Sanusi? Who born access to buy intercontinental? With N50bn which was borrowed from BOI, of which they even owed inter 17bn? I don't want to be sad ds night, bad memories. lemme jst drop mic

My fellow warrior that year, no make me remember weytin i don forget. Do you know that Sanusi was just after people he had beef with while working in commercial bank? (Jim Ovia-Zenith, Tony Elumelu-UBA, Cecilia Ibru-Oceanic, and our very own Erastus Akingbola-Intercontinental).

Where have you heard that a debtor bought over the person he is owing? Imagine Sanusi selling Intercontinental for 50b with all its assets, whereas Access were owing international about 17b.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by sashaa(f): 11:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
4reigningqueen:
Managing your business is still the best.
Shouting 'next customer please' everyday can be very frustrating.
Do am small and run for your life.
@bolded, I concur!!

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Kookny(m): 11:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
nefertitiram:

They have a fancy name for it, it's called 'Attrition Rate' . I remember dropping my resignation letter with HR and when I returned for clearance the HR I submitted to has resigned. The guy she handed over to was just looking at me with envy. For resigning again o! grin

Mehn! grin that's crazy!
Im sef for resign too grin
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
richyblink1:

My fellow warrior that year, no make me remember weytin i don forget. Do you know that Sanusi was just after people he had beef with while working in commercial bank? (Jim Ovia-Zenith, Tony Elumelu-UBA, Cecilia Ibru-Oceanic, and our very own Erastus Akingbola-Intercontinental).

Where have you heard that a debtor bought over the person he is owing? Imagine Sanusi selling Intercontinental for 50b with all its assets, whereas Access were owing international about 17b.

It's even paining me to remember it.

What was his beef with Akingbola? Because Inter staff wore No 1 Tshirt, and claimed No 1 position that 1st bank desired so much? Next thing was to start Demarketing, so Tey Soludo asked Sanusi to apologise to Erastus for Demarketing.

Immediately Sanusi took over frm Soludo, arresting Erastus was his first assignment just to humiliate him. August 17, 2009. I can never forget how Danmole shook.

Who gave Aig d 50bn to pay for Inter? His mother in law at BOI! Imagine!!!

Let's just move on! I know we serve a God of Justice. One day, the truth will come out.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by bishoppapi: 11:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
odihack:
I tried weighing some options sometimes back between Access bank and another Coy... I tried to search Nairaland for some info and all I saw can be summarized as "Flee from Access".

Someone said on one particular thread that a 50k monthly take home is better than a graduate trainee position in Access Bank.

Access pays 43k+ for graduate trainees while they are in Training school and pays 243k immediately after training school and a brand new car which I think is a lot higher than the average for entry level positions in Nigeria.

I have come to understand that Access bank is quite stressful to work in, but then again, nobody will pay that much money for any staff for doing nothing?

So why exactly is Access bank bad to work in, because in my opinion I feel they compensate well

Accessbank is one of the best places and brands you can work for in Nigeria. Access bank is not bad...forget about the rubbish jobless people say online. They will invest so much into you, do you expect them to expect nothing in return? They ain't asking for much... Just excellent service delivery and you achieving your goals. So simple.

4 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by bishoppapi: 12:03am On Jan 04, 2016
panachuku:
Most if their staff always want to run. But they have been tied down by the 2m bonds and car loan. Flee for ur life.

Would you not choose to work for an organisation that gave you a brand new car, invested so much in you,then pays u a monthly salary of 243k after nysc and only asked you to use the training and experience acquired with them for 2years before considering leaving if at all you want to leave?

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by ariesbull: 12:10am On Jan 04, 2016
Craven:

What role did you play in both companies?

Why the interrogation
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 12:17am On Jan 04, 2016
bishoppapi:

Accessbank is one of the best places and brands you can work for in Nigeria. Access bank is not bad...forget about the rubbish jobless people say online. They will invest so much into you, do you expect them to expect nothing in return? They ain't asking for much... Just excellent service delivery and you achieving your goals. So simple.

Have you worked there? If not, take a back seat

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by yemixi4real(m): 12:50am On Jan 04, 2016
It saddens me to hear youths complain about stress.. Some it's pure laziness but they want to earn big.... Others do not need a career but a job, their reason for accepting the job offer is not passion, opportunity for professional development or cos they really want to add value to the organization.. Its just about the salary....
Although Access Bank do me strong thing, I failed a test, passed another with them, even got to final interview before madam bolaji ended/suspended my Access Bank dream...
Hearing people complain about Access Bank stress was a motivation for me, I saw it as a challenge, I know I strive well under pressure, I wanted to try Access Bank and the "Unrealistic target" quoting my frnd that works there... ... Thats gone for now.,, will be 25 by month end n thus can't apply for entry level again ..
I know people that leaves access for other Banks find life easier, get higher position sef bt na access drill them. WARRIORS
sukanmi once asked me to get to VI by 7 am for my panel interview, I got there 5.30 AM, interview no start till around 10 am.
Anyway, I wanted to build a career with Access Bank, but the disappointment made me stronger with my job hunting,.. In just 2 months, I v written test with 3 other Banks, awaiting their interview and still have test with another nxt wk, 2 others promised me a test invite soonest, ... While I do not love the other organizations like Access Bank, i know I need to find what will make me love working with any of them... In my opinion that's the best way to beat stress... Have a passion for what you do n love whom you work for /with...
I derive joy from doing financial analysis, and also I want to develop n be involved in successful financial planning and projects. Thats my major motivation...
Finally it's actually intercontinental Bank I really liked xo I kinda transferred it to Access. I believe now that we are youths is the best time to stress ourselves and I blame all these yahoo plus boys for the laziness in Nigerian youths.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 12:55am On Jan 04, 2016
yemixi4real:
It saddens me to hear youths complain about stress.. Some it's pure laziness but they want to earn big.... Others do not need a career but a job, their reason for accepting the job offer is not passion, opportunity for professional development or cos they really want to add value to the organization.. Its just about the salary....
Although Access Bank do me strong thing, I failed a test, passed another with them, even got to final interview before madam bolaji ended/suspended my Access Bank dream...
Hearing people complain about Access Bank stress was a motivation for me, I saw it as a challenge, I know I strive well under pressure, I wanted to try Access Bank and the "Unrealistic target" quoting my frnd that works there... ... Thats gone for now.,, will be 25 by month end n thus can't apply for entry level again ..
I know people that leaves access for other Banks find life easier, get higher position sef bt na access drill them. WARRIORS
sukanmi once asked me to get to VI by 7 am for my panel interview, I got there 5.30 AM, interview no start till around 10 am.
Anyway, I wanted to build a career with Access Bank, but the disappointment made me stronger with my job hunting,.. In just 2 months, I v written test with 3 other Banks, awaiting their interview and still have test with another nxt wk, 2 others promised me a test invite soonest, ... While I do not love the other organizations like Access Bank, i know I need to find what will make me love working with any of them... In my opinion that's the best way to beat stress... Have a passion for what you do n love whom you work for /with...
I derive joy from doing financial analysis, and also I want to develop n be involved in successful financial planning and projects. Thats my major motivation...
Finally it's actually intercontinental Bank I really liked xo I kinda transferred it to Access. I believe now that we are youths is the best time to stress ourselves and I blame all this yahoo plus boys for the laziness in Nigerian youths.

Almighty madam Bolaji, she won't go and marry! Mschewww

Have you tried Standard Chartered?

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by yemixi4real(m): 1:12am On Jan 04, 2016
nefertitiram:

Almighty madam Bolaji, she won't go and marry! Mschewww

Have you tried Standard Chartered?

Standard Chartered Personality Assessment hammered me jxt like Diageo.. But they made me stronger.. that standard chartered really pained me cos it's an international programme and I visited their website often to ensure I know when the Nigerian Graduate Programme will be advertised... Only to receive a humble regret mail...
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by olumide4christ: 3:21am On Jan 04, 2016
chccho:
Guess that's the price anyone who wants to earn 200k has to pay..
Money isn't everything but money is a necessity...

Sorry but some people I know & have known earn triple that amount and don't have to pay such flimsy price as demanded by Access bank.
I have worked in real estate companies where staff are paid btw N100,000 & N600,000 per month & they close by 5pm or a bit later if they need to tidy up some outstanding work or just buying time to avoid rush hour traffic, no work on weekends except in some rare cases maybe for MPR, at least 3 weeks end of year holiday, study leave, etc. Why would I in my right senses leave such jobs for ANY bank job?
Someone I know aged 29 who studied French in a Nigerian university works at the research library of German embassy in Lagos. The job is 6am-2pm, picked up every morning by bus & closes by 2pm, paid a good salary with all the additional perks of working with an embassy. Isn't that far better than working with any bank?
I'll advise job seekers to just pray for God's favor to bring you the best jobs & trust Him to do it.
Someone told me almost 15 yrs ago that the best jobs are never advertised & I've come to realize that after working for over 10 yrs now. Seek for God's favor!

I rest my case!

10 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by sLloyds: 6:18am On Jan 04, 2016
Access Bank is ok. if you work in marketing u get target which fair among other banks. the truth is u r stretched in access which makes it easier to work in any other bank in Nigeria. if u r not in marketing u may get targets but not compared to marketers. if you also build ur network of friends within the bank (marketers) u can meet those targets.

if u ask me if u r strong, ready to work and male a difference for ur self and get to the peak of ur career within the number of years u choose for ur self. ...choose Access Bank

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 7:00am On Jan 04, 2016
ariesbull:

Why the interrogation

Why the hostility? I'm not asking for your bank details. I'm just trying to have an understanding of the roles you played in both companies that was so stressful. It's okay if you choose not to answer. Have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Bakare19: 7:24am On Jan 04, 2016
chccho:
Is there anything good that comes easy? Is it a bad thing again to be professionally trained by the bank, paid a fat paycheck of about 200+(monthly),+ a brand new car too!!!!
Seriously the question should be are u ready to work hard before u enjoy? If u think its streinous maybe u can try stayn at home for 1yr and see how e be for body..
Pls banking is not for every body I must tell u some people are good at it and are making waves while others have been there for years no promotion no progress..those are the wailers that u shouldn't listen to.
If u want to work,work for 2yrs get your car if u after 2yrs u don't like it quit...
Well said!
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 7:25am On Jan 04, 2016
nefertitiram:

And you sign a bond with guarantors, if you resign within 2yrs, you will pay N2m! What kind of slavery is that? If they didn't have high attrition rate, which they know about, they won't apply such stringent conditions.

Where I work now, I wake up wanting to go to work. During the hols am restless because I'm loving the company. When I was in Access, I'm afraid for sun to rise. I'm afraid of entering the office, am afraid of opening my mailbox, the whole environment is toxic! Fear, fear, fear!!!

There are other banks with the same training bond conditions/requirement, even those that aren't as big as commercial banks. Some of those banks pay a hundred thousand less than Access Bank, and they require graduate trainees to remain with them for two years or pay an amount of N2 million if they wish to leave before that period. And the funny thing is they don't invest as much in your training as Access Bank does. So the training bond is not slavery. It's just a measure of keeping you with them so they can reap the benefits of the time, money, and energy invested in you during your training. Training doesn't even end in the school. You are subjected to training on the job too. So I don't see a problem with the bond. There is nothing wrong in a bank trying to protect its interest. Just look at the N2 million 'training bond' as the cost of the time, energy, and money invested in training you, both before the job and during the job, and the cost of training someone else to take your place if you choose to leave, not the cost of releasing you from prison.

Although I think Access Bank compensates well for the stress compared to other financial services companies, I still feel something should definitely be done to address the issue of work-life balance in all corporate outfits (not just banks alone, because this is everywhere).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 7:41am On Jan 04, 2016
Craven:

There are other banks with the same training bond conditions/requirement, even those that aren't as big as commercial banks. Some of those banks pay a hundred thousand less than Access Bank, and they require graduate trainees to remain with them for two years or pay an amount of N2 million if they wish to leave before that period. And the funny thing is they don't invest as much in your training as Access Bank does. So the training bond is not slavery. It's just a measure of keeping you with them so they can reap the benefits of the time, money, and energy invested in you during your training. Training doesn't even end in the school. You are subjected to training on the job too. So I don't see a problem with the bond. There is nothing wrong in a bank trying to protect its interest. Just look at the N2 million 'training bond' as the cost of the time, energy, and money invested in training you, both before the job and during the job, and the cost of training someone else to take your place if you choose to leave, not the cost of releasing you from prison.

Although I think Access Bank compensates well for the stress compared to other financial services companies, I still feel something should definitely be done to address the issue of work-life balance in all corporate outfits (not just banks alone, because this is everywhere).

Well said.

Come to think of it, Lagos traffic just makes everything more frustrating. Imagine spending hours upon hours going to and coming from work.

To think am happier now because my home is a stone throw from my work place. It's a critical factor in productivity

3 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Craven: 8:02am On Jan 04, 2016
nefertitiram:

Well said.

Come to think of it, Lagos traffic just makes everything more frustrating. Imagine spending hours upon hours going to and coming from work.

To think am happier now because my home is a stone throw from my work place. It's a critical factor in productivity

Nothing beats working so close to home, especially in Lagos!

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by sammily(m): 9:28am On Jan 04, 2016
nefertitiram:

I worked there for a few months. The worst months of my life. My bosses were insultive, my colleagues had no joy, we worked weekends only for your boss to thrash all your efforts. Dem no born you well to leave office at 5/6. Sometimes, 10pm and I had no car, staff bus leaves at 8pm (was in Head Office).

To worsen it Aig and Herbert did not believe in work life balance. 2 guys I knew died because of the job. One died on his desk, the other died on his way home from work, when he was supposed to be on leave.

Abeg, it's not worth it. I wasnt a fresh graduate, infact I had worked in a different bank for 4 years before joining Access so all their paparazzi was uncalled for. After a few months, I packed my portmanteau to a place where joy lived.

Infact, you just recapped my experience when I worked there for about six months, had to leave also because the working environment was getting to insultive and tensed. I can still recall when one lady ran mad on her desk, literally ran mad.

4 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by ariesbull: 9:30am On Jan 04, 2016
Craven:

Why the hostility? I'm not asking for your bank details. I'm just trying to have an understanding of the roles you played in both companies that was so stressful. It's okay if you choose not to answer. Have a nice day.

I asked a question and that wasn't an act of hostility ...
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by ariesbull: 9:36am On Jan 04, 2016
Nice post about jobs ..yes you all might be correct but to be honest is having your own firm

Wage slavery isn't dignifying in any way

Pray to have your own business and firm

1 Like

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by coleon(m): 9:50am On Jan 04, 2016
Craven:
I've seen many people comment with "Start your own business." And I feel those people need to understand that while entrepreneurship is great, not everyone will be an entrepreneur. If everyone is selling, who will purchase?

But that is besides the point. The point is this; we don't share the same dreams. While you wish to start your own 'small business', some people want to thrive in the financial services sector, in the oil and gas industry, in agriculture, in information technology. And because they wish to work in these sectors does not in any way make them inferior to you who feel starting a small business is best.

Besides, people will urge you to start your own business, they will never tell you the cons of the process. Nigeria doesn't provide a healthy economy for businesses to thrive, with its very angry tax system and fluctuating price system, amongst many other factors. Although some businesses thrives despite this, there are many that do not, and that is the reality that people won't tell you when they're urging you to 'start your own business'.

And there is also this notion that starting your own business automatically means that you are working for yourself and not for anyone else. That's a blatant lie. The purpose of any business, asides making profit, is to serve your customers who bring you your revenue. So the same service bankers give their customers, is the same any entrepreneur gives their customers. Except if you are your own customer. Although the entrepreneur enjoys certain perks like flexibility with working hours, being her/his own boss and all, the underlying factor is that s/he still serves customers.

I admire entrepreneurs. I also admire people who work hard to achieve their career goals. I do not believe one is better than the other. I believe we all have different life goals, and different means of achieving them.

Starting your business is legit. Working in a company is also legit. End of story.

While your point is noted and that it is not everybody that can be an entrepreneur, the end of your epistle is very wrong when you said one is not better than the other. Being an entrepreneur is miles better than working for some dumb organisation or whatever you call it and this can never be overemphasized .
In fact i am appalled by the level of your reasoning because entrepreneurship is beneficial to both the individual and the society at large.
1.An entrepreneur generates wealth and create employment to the larger society while people that sit down in offices like you drains the wealth in the society.
2. Entrepreneurship does not give you boundary cos you can grow as high as you want while your life is structured as a worker somewhere.
3.You can never be rich working for an organisation and that is the fact and reality of life because nobody will pay you to be rich,all you can earn is a living wage to get by in life but in entrepreneurship you can ask the adenuga's ,dangote,otedola e.t.c.
4.Job security is guaranteed as an entrepreneur in as much as you know your business but in a bank or elsewhere you can be fired at anytime through restructuring ,rightsizing and e.t.c.
5.You can't be bossed around as an enterprenuer unlike in your workplace where you wake up saying yes sir every morning and you even carry your madam's bag in the evening.
6.Being an enterpreneur does not make you lazy and you challenge your brain all the time for ideas and you take calculated risks unlike what you have in your corporate work place (particularly in banks) where your life is structured and scheduled and there is a limit to what ideas and innovations you can bring on board thereby making your brains redundant.

Kindly note that i presently work in a bank and i see these things happening everyday and trust me i feel like i am being caged and i can't wait to unleash myself so i can leave it for people like you.
Trust me being an entrepreneur is miles better but the sad reality is not everyone can be an entrepreneur so you can keep your job till the day you will be fired which will surely happen one day whether you like it or not cos you don't own where you work.
Please don't mislead would be entrepreneurs with quotes like this.
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 04, 2016
yemixi4real:
Finally it's actually intercontinental Bank I really liked xo I kinda transferred it to Access. I believe now that we are youths is the best time to stress ourselves and I blame all these yahoo plus boys for the laziness in Nigerian youths.
God bless you, and bless your job search, I wish you all the best in you quest for excellence. Hopefully one day there will be no more scammers then Nigerians will understand the difference between hard work and laziness.

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 04, 2016
sammily:

Infact, you just recapped my experience when I worked there for about six months, had to leave also because the working environment was getting to insultive and tensed. I can still recall when one lady ran mad on her desk, literally ran mad.
For real?

2 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by bishoppapi: 10:01am On Jan 04, 2016
nefertitiram:

Have you worked there? If not, take a back seat

Well, I worked for accessbank and still have friends working there who are been fully sponsored by Accessbank for their MBA in top MBA schools in the world. Do you wanna digest that? So you take the back seat now.

6 Likes

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by nefertitiram: 10:08am On Jan 04, 2016
bishoppapi:

Well, I worked for accessbank and still have friends working there who are been fully sponsored by Accessbank for their MBA in top MBA schools in the world. Do you wanna digest that? So you take the back seat now.

So why did you leave access if it was so rosy?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by MrSneh: 10:28am On Jan 04, 2016
Chidizman:
243k after tax deductions or what? undecided Because Am Aware GTB entry-Level staffs earn the highest and its 240k.

GTBank - 207k
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by COOLCATS: 12:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
blueseacats:
Hmm, not trying to prove anything, but let me give you some hint about me , I hold a degree in global business from excelsior college New York, i am 100ton ship master , if you know what I mean , i own a successful cat fish hatching business at ijebu ode that employs 5 people with one graduate among them ,I have lived in London and and New York, visited Paris Rome and a lot more western countries and in all I have seen what Nigerian youth do to make fast cash just to show off before I came to my conclusion, what happened at my bar is just a confirmation that most Nigerians youth think money grows on trees. But you think a typical Nigerian educated illiterate, if not you won't underrate my bar business, because in western nations small businesses employ 95 % of the labor force therefore gets more attention from the government than corporate bodies but you are a typical"know it all Nigerian graduate "what do you know about a vibrant economy, I challenge you to explain what makes up a vibrant economy then I will counter, or agree.
I am not trying to argue with you nor berate your bar , neither am I interested in knowing your exposure or what your qualifications are. your experience or present situation does not make your assertion a fact as you have not had an encounter with every Nigerian youth not even 5% of the Nigerian youth.
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by yemixi4real(m): 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2016
blueseacats:
God bless you, and bless your job search, I wish you all the best in you quest for excellence. Hopefully one day there will be no more scammers then Nigerians will understand the difference between hard work and laziness.

Amen and Thank you sir,..
Re: Is Working For Access Bank That Bad? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Is going around begging for deposits a job?!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Central Bank Of Nigeria Salary Scale: How Much Does CBN Pay Staff? / Kayode Richie-Kay Oliva, EFCC Official Owns Wood Processing/Supplying Company / Ugochukwu Obi Elevated As Commander In US Navy (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.