Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,655 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:23 PM

Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church (25316 Views)

Names Of Victims Of Ozubulu Catholic Church Massacre Released / Nigerian Congregation In London Rejects Pastor Asks Him To Leave The Church / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
Teespice:
op

please leave. your mind is already made up.

one less catholic. kikikki

And you will still laugh if i was the 999th person leaving in one month? Smh.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

The only way to know if something is right or wrong is to contemplate what the society will be if everyone did it. Health and longevity is another factor that should rule our sexual and dietary life. The bible or religion will only get you more confused. How are you even sure the church you want to change to is better? Religion is out for two things; inciting people against one another and money. If you really want to live a decent healthy life consider your partying and drinking; they make you more miserable. Consider your nudity; it makes people call you a slut. Consider your lies; it takes great effort to tell lies. Consider gluttony; it deteriorates your health. Then consider sex with it's tendency of diseases, unwanted pregnancy and heartbreaks. It's not religion that that made these pros and cons. It's there and no priest can take them away. It's your choice. No church can make you change your mind.

And where is my God in your epistle please?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 04, 2016
shumax:
Someone once said, i cant remember where i got it from that if we depended on the parishioners we meet in church we would never be good Catholics, but the beautiful thing about the church is that it's 2000 years history has provided resources that can help develop and strengthen us, Please before you leave take a few weeks out to read the catechism, they are so many information online about how to live the christian life as a catholic, start by studying how to understand and appreciate the sacraments from there you would discover other resources to help you grow.
About 10 years ago i was in a similar state like you, maybe i didn't do most of the naughty things you've mentioned, but i had a few sins i was dealing with, i was in the university then too, i visted a few churches considered changing too but i also discovered a strong catholic spiritual advise, i was encouraged to attend mass regularly go to confession often it would surprise you I even went to confession at least 3 times a week Prayed the rosary often read the scriptures in the light of the church. You wont believe I overcame all those sins, i am no saint and i got my little fault here and there, but i largely by the help of God's grace in the sacrament overcame.
I had a big challenge because i loved and enjoyed the fellowship and the fun in Pentecostal settings but the moment i fully understood what happens in the mass, i wasn't giving it up for anything
Please don't give up on the church.
How do I get through to you

Thank you very much. Like i said i have done almost all you said up there but still feel worthless before God. How much do i have to try to attain God's perfect standard? When do we know we have pleased God enough? Going for confession every three weeks? praying the rosary 24/7? i think not! because if it were so the guilt that comes with sin should be decreasing already not increasing

Since the bible is the only authority catholics and non-catholics respect, i would like you to cite from it to support what you know. Can you?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by obayaya(m): 2:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

I hope you know there is a difference between "will" and "can" dear.

I know the difference..

Being in a state of grace and avoiding sin is a personal decision. And until you make that decision, you'll always remain where you are.. Change in Church notwithstanding.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
obayaya:

I know the difference..

Being in a state of grace and avoiding sin is a personal decision. And until you make that decision, you'll always remain where you are.. Change in Church notwithstanding.

No you dont.

Will is like some choice i have to make. It is decisional in nature. While Can is ability, power to do, influence or control a thing. I don't have the latter.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by obayaya(m): 3:07pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

No you dont.

Will is like some choice i have to make. It is decisional in nature. While Can is ability, power to do, influence or control a thing. I don't have the latter.

First step towards leaving the path of sin is decisional. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says "Avoid occasions that leads to sin".

Even during sacrament of reconciliation, the priest will never give you absolution until you say act of contrition. Act of Contrition is divided into two parts - 1st is the reassertion of your decision to avoid sin. second part is praying for the grace to help you keep that decision.

The Absolution is the priest invoking the power to forgive sin Christ handed his apostles and grace to help you keep the decision to avoid sin.
Yes the church understands that you can't do it on your own. but you need to make the decision to avoid sin before you are availed of the grace.

You need the former first before the latter is given to you.. And I don't think you have the former.

1 Like

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
plaetton:
My advice is that once you leave the Catholic church to seek religious meaning elsewhere, you will never find it.
Pentecostalism offers you candies and Titilates your basest human natures, your needs, your base desires, your fears.

Thereafter, you will begin to equate spiritual growth with personal accumulation.

I have not seen anyone, and there are many, who have left the Catholic, Methodist or Anglican churches, for spiritual greener pastures show or display any mental or social improvement in their lives.

For most, it just like jumping from frying pan to fire, or from liberating yourself from one form of mental slavery to a more pernicious one.

What you , like many others, suffer is a crisis of meaning.

The bottom line is ; if you haven't found meaning in one religion or sect, you will not find it in any .

Try philosophy.

On point! Just have my doubts about the last sentence. Seems to be something about you and the tale of your reasonings...cheesy
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by byteHead(m): 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:
If someone had told me i will be making a life changing decision like this many years ago i would have been enraged, not at he or she but at the force that would dare cause that.

Was born a catholic, baptised by a priest and cofirmed by the state bishop. I annexed to this by becoming a member of the legion of mary (tho left at one time) i was still faithful to the blessed virgin mary with my bead ritual.

The truth is i only had to do this and that and then the other and relax. By relax, i mean do what ever i wanted. Club, have sex, drink, curse, lie, cheat, disobey other authorities, go nude etc as long as i came back for confession all the time and obtained mercy from God through the priest, i was fine. Maybe they didnt think it was fine i.e my lifestyle but the silence and indifference they showed, gave me the wrongest impression. After all i was always encouraged to go for confession like my life was hanging on it.

This is something that all catholics will understand. After confession we feel a bit unburdened with guilt...for a while. I dont know about others, but mine was not always more than an hour and i would be back to square one (or may be i never left there but thought i did). I was not freaky about the sunday communion thing like others cos i didnt think i was worthy.

Going to the university exposed me to other religious groups. I didn't like the way they shouted while praying but i admired the way they reverred the bible and talked about Christ more.
I thought the catholic church was doing little in the teaching of biblical truths but was still a good model for other churches, mushroom churches.

There were times i made resolutions to turn a new leaf but they always never came to a fruition.
Up till now. I couldn't, i cant keep them. All the rules of right living get lost on me. I just cant change. Talked with our priest every day about this after our doctrinal classes (joined the Opus dei) He suggested i read books of saints who had lived and overcame evil and of course by following the many laid down rules and rituals of the church. I read about mother Theresa, Pope John Paul the II, Saint José maria. Still nothing. It only made me feel unworthy but no power in them.

I decided to read the bible at last after so many procrastinations. I started with John and i have not seen any slight resemblance with the Church. I will continue with Matthew, Mark and Luke this month.

So many things in this old boring book are startling me. embarassed

Never look for sanctuary is anyone except yourself.

Brother, you seem to be far from your journey..... the way is not in the sky......the way is in your heart.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by byteHead(m): 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:
If someone had told me i will be making a life changing decision like this many years ago i would have been enraged, not at he or she but at the force that would dare cause that.

Was born a catholic, baptised by a priest and cofirmed by the state bishop. I annexed to this by becoming a member of the legion of mary (tho left at one time) i was still faithful to the blessed virgin mary with my bead ritual.

The truth is i only had to do this and that and then the other and relax. By relax, i mean do what ever i wanted. Club, have sex, drink, curse, lie, cheat, disobey other authorities, go nude etc as long as i came back for confession all the time and obtained mercy from God through the priest, i was fine. Maybe they didnt think it was fine i.e my lifestyle but the silence and indifference they showed, gave me the wrongest impression. After all i was always encouraged to go for confession like my life was hanging on it.

This is something that all catholics will understand. After confession we feel a bit unburdened with guilt...for a while. I dont know about others, but mine was not always more than an hour and i would be back to square one (or may be i never left there but thought i did). I was not freaky about the sunday communion thing like others cos i didnt think i was worthy.

Going to the university exposed me to other religious groups. I didn't like the way they shouted while praying but i admired the way they reverred the bible and talked about Christ more.
I thought the catholic church was doing little in the teaching of biblical truths but was still a good model for other churches, mushroom churches.

There were times i made resolutions to turn a new leaf but they always never came to a fruition.
Up till now. I couldn't, i cant keep them. All the rules of right living get lost on me. I just cant change. Talked with our priest every day about this after our doctrinal classes (joined the Opus dei) He suggested i read books of saints who had lived and overcame evil and of course by following the many laid down rules and rituals of the church. I read about mother Theresa, Pope John Paul the II, Saint José maria. Still nothing. It only made me feel unworthy but no power in them.

I decided to read the bible at last after so many procrastinations. I started with John and i have not seen any slight resemblance with the Church. I will continue with Matthew, Mark and Luke this month.

Never look for sanctuary in anyone except yourself.

Brother, you seem to be far from your journey.....
the way is not in the sky......the way is in your heart.

It takes time to realise all the ways we've been programmed and the vast quantity of disinformation and wrong mechanisms weve been given.

Religion is an institution established by man for various reasons. Exert control , instill morality, stroke egos or whatever it does.

Being spiritual to me is more important and better than being religious.

True spirituality invites you to reason it all, to question everything and to decide your actions and assume all consequences.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by plaetton: 5:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
Tufanja:

On point! Just have my doubts about the last sentence. Seems to be something about you and the tale of your reasonings...cheesy

A good grounding in philosophy would not solve the crisis of meaning, but it would train her on how to search for it, by showing her how to separate the wheat from the shaff.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
plaetton:

A good grounding in philosophy would not solve the crisis of meaning, but it would train her on how to search for it, by showing her how to separate the wheat from the shaff.

Totally agree.

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 8:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
analice107:

Did you hear her talk about any church? She said she has started reading the Bible. Has Satan gotten you so deep that you can't read again? Smh.
If she is not talking about church then I and you are saying the same thing. The bible is a good book but turns to a bomb in the hands of Christians.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 8:19pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

And where is my God in your epistle please?
The God the Jews taught you or the God of the universe?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 8:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Even Judas was among the 12 . THe bible told us of the wheat and tares . Fake Miracles ? Lol . I received miracles countless number of times , as a member of the Church . I've seen miracles happen right there .

Stop talking nonesense , no one forces any one to pay tithe . The man has been a man of God for close to 30 years . Where were the accusations when he owned very little . When God decides to bless someone ; trouble , if a christian is poor ; mockery ensues . grin
The sun shines on everyone. The rain falls on everyone. Does God chose whom to bless? What has other people done not to deserve His blessings? Or is there something the pastors know that we don't?

1 Like

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by italo: 8:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
@Speechless, I want to get you right.

Are you looking for a congregation that can help you quit your sins?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by italo: 8:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

No you dont.

You don't have the ability to control your inclination to sin?

Are you saying that if you knew your next act of cheating would lead to instant death, you wouldn't avoid cheating?

Would you 'go unclad' in a sharia country where you know you'll be stoned to death...or would you control the urge to 'go unclad?'

Be sincere with yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Aizenosa(m): 10:25pm On Jan 04, 2016
I understand u truly on your quest for true salvation the church has though been a little bit relaxed on the salvation quest.

An assignment for u brother go and watch the passion of Christ and ask yourself this question if Christ did this for me and why keep complaining tell urself u can fight ur human self in the battle of sin with the love of Christ in u I believe u will find a new resolution.

I hope pride or the feeling of being guilty do not hold u from coming back to the church, the church is always welcoming do not always wait to hear everything from the pulpit read ur bible and ask the Holy Spirit to teach u, He knows all things.

Every Saint has a past and every repentant sinner has a future.

Peace
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Aizenosa(m): 10:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
Bro holiness and righteousness is a personal decision, there is no doubt u are searching for Christ but its should be a personal / spiritual search not church changing search, I understand ur quest and thirst for Christ I advise u watch

PASSION OF CHRIST, I WANT U TO THINK OF JUST ONE THING WHILE U WATCH THIS MOVIE

"MY SINS PUT THIS MAN IN THIS STATE OF PAIN"

EVERY SAINT HAS A PAST AND EVERY REPENTANT SINNER HAS A FUTURE
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by analice107: 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

If she is not talking about church then I and you are saying the same thing. The bible is a good book but turns to a bomb in the hands of Christians.
And how does the Bible turns to a bomb in the hands of Christians?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by analice107: 10:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
Anyone who has read the Bible with the help of the Holy Spirit, can not feel okay in Catholic Church, believe me, I know. It happened to me.

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Aizenosa(m): 10:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
analice107:
Anyone who has read the Bible with the help of the Holy Spirit, can not feel okay in Catholic Church, believe me, I know. It happened to me.

I Paul Aizenosa 210% don't agree with you.

4 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by BlackHummer(m): 11:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
Speechless3:

1. Are you on facebook? Like this page 'Koinonia (Eternity Network International) you may follow this
link

https://m.facebook.com/koinoniaeni?v=timeline&sectionLoadingID=m_timeline_loading_div_1454313599_0_36_timeline_unit%3A1%3A00000000001451230486%3A04611686018427387904%3A09223372036854775803%3A04611686018427387904&unit_cursor=timeline_unit%3A1%3A00000000001451230486%3A04611686018427387904%3A09223372036854775803%3A04611686018427387904&timeend=1454313599&timestart=0&tm=AQCFVdUefvRKgMoy&refid=17

2. Scroll through the wall and find any audio message link...usually 4shared... (They are sermons by Apostle Joshua Selman). Note: the sermons are at least 60mb, but it is worth it.

3. Thank me later.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by oglalasioux(m): 11:45pm On Jan 04, 2016
analice107:

And how does the Bible turns to a bomb in the hands of Christians?
Good question. The bible is a very controversial book that has set Christians against each other over the years. From the Jehovah's witnesses to the obscure mini ministries, Christians have always found one passage or another to justify their divisions, disagreements over money and headship of the church. It's curious that just one book will be the source of justification for so much hatred among Christians and the confusion of the sister that started this thread.
The bible has passages that have great instructions and admonitions for the good of mankind. Jesus' parables and sermon on the mount are teachings accepted by every human being on earth no matter the person's religions or circular inclination.
But the Christian is the murderer of biblical tenets because he discards passages that doesn't favour him and promotes passages that favour him and more often than not his motives are selfish promotion of division, disagreement and conning people out of their hard earned money.
There will be no gain to take you back a thousand years when Pope Urban stood on biblical injunctions to incite a war that lasted for four centuries in Palestine. The crusade, as the three phases of this genocidal killings is known, was where the cousins of the Christians, the Moslems, actually learned their suicidal thoughts.
When you look at religion, notably Christianity and Islam, and see the divisions, disagreements and killings both religion incite you begin to wonder the type of god they claim to worship. Certainly it can't be the God that made the universe with all it's glory that will ask Shekau to kill people as he likes or send people to their certain deaths through suicide bombings. It can't be the God who made the universe that will allow a priest or pastor to con his congregation into making him super rich while the latter preaches that Jesus is coming soon.
I still believe the bible is a good book. But when a christian handles it it turns into an object of ridiculous tendencies.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dukum: 8:03am On Jan 05, 2016
Speechless3:

Hey! i am a catholic too,am i facing some of your issues?......yes......that hasn't made me waver in my beliefs,even if u leave the church,the issue of committing sin would most like continue(we are human afterall....even priest would tell you that),plus u already have a mind set that u JUST CAN'T CHANGE,The church isn't doing little in teaching the bible truth..common!they even have bible weeks.....they are catholics who read the bible even more than priests.....U even call the holy book 'Boring'.....all i see here is a pattern(troubling actually).....i have like a billion things to say but i no wan write epistle and i believe i have touched some key areas.

The church like other churches or mosque is there to guide you........it is you who would determine the rest.

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by dukum: 8:43am On Jan 05, 2016
analice107:

Even terrorist believe in their way,that they are doing God's will..........since you have the help of the holy spirit i am sure u would understand that.i wld stop here.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Athanatos(m): 1:31pm On Jan 05, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yeah ! That's what the Catholic Church gets you , the church is facing an exodus in every part of the continent . There are great bible teaching Churches : The Lord's Chosen , Deeper Life , The Living Faith and some other good ones . I suggest she goes to these three if she she wants her problems solved though .

Another Bigot.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:43pm On Jan 05, 2016
Speechless3:

In the gospel of John you will learn about the Creator and redeemer, the Lord Jesus. Trust in Him and in Him alone. Continue to read the epistles of John (1-3 John).

1 Like

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by digitsolution: 5:20pm On Jan 05, 2016
Hello I can relate with what you are going through I have been down that lane. I was a staunch catholic, altar boy, legion of Mary, divine mercy, you name the group. I even went to a minor seminary it's a wonder am not a priest today....lol

The crux of the matter is that you need no one to tell you how or where to worship your God,but unfortunately most Nigerians are babies that need a pastor or priest to tell them everything and how to serve God.

Try and have an open mind look for and read this books of the bible Sirach, Wisdom (lost books of the bible) and Proverbs.  

Speechless3:

Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by italo: 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2016
It's amazing when people claim the Bible is true but the Catholic Church that compiled it is false.

Can a good fruit come from a bad tree?
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Sunglass20(f): 9:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
God is in your heart, serve him the way your heart leads you. Propher TB Joshua says and I quote...'when Christ comes again, the question will not be who worshipped God in Catholic, Anglican or Synagogue, the question would be- who worshipped God in SPIRIT and TRUTH'. I am a Catholic too, the teachings I agree with, I pick and put into practice; Those I dont agree with, I leave. I worship sometimes with other churches. I also learn. I enjoy their praise and worship which lifts your spirit to another level with God, and that we hardly get in the Catholic church. Worship God the best way you can, MAKE GOD'S WORD THE STANDARD FOR YOUR LIFE.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 05, 2016
italo:
It's amazing when people claim the Bible is true but the Catholic Church that compiled it is false.

Can a good fruit come from a bad tree?

I think compile in this context is like bringing these books together but who authored them is a different thing.

If God can use evil men to kill Jesus, why cant he use anybody to get His words together.

Am not saying the catholic church is evil, but this is not a strong point. Thanks anyway.
Re: Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2016
digitsolution:

Hello I can relate with what you are going through I have been down that lane. I was a staunch catholic, altar boy, legion of Mary, divine mercy, you name the group. I even went to a minor seminary it's a wonder am not a priest today....lol

The crux of the matter is that you need no one to tell you how or where to worship your God,but unfortunately most Nigerians are babies that need a pastor or priest to tell them everything and how to serve God.

Try and have an open mind look for and read this books of the bible Sirach, Wisdom (lost books of the bible) and Proverbs.  

Thank you so much

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Deeper Christian Life Ministry Then, And Deeper Life Bible Church Now. / Here Are A Few Churches In Nigeria That Still Preaches The Real Message Of God / People What Has Happened To Roberts Liardon The Author Of Gods Generals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.