Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,677 members, 7,813,254 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers (41708 Views)

Ndic – “digital Currency Trading Is Not Legal In Nigeria” See Why! / Nigeria Enters League Of Steel Exporters / Nigeria – China Currency Deal – The Biggest Winners And Losers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by dammytosh: 3:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
Peeps talking as if you will not need internet.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Charlieubochi: 3:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
lloydpras:
Shiit just got real for IrokoTV.

Netflix + Chill, I foresee a high rate of unwanted pregnancies in Naija this year.

It's brilliant how you were are to connect those two things.

Boy: Babe come over let's watch a movie

Girl: OK

3 months later- It all started when I went go his house to watch a movie.

4 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Proffdada: 3:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
admax:
[On a negative note: American Gayism and Lesbianism culture will now be fully integrated into the Nigerian culture as most American movies, reality shows and soap opera must those act. Since most Africans are reluctant to embrace homosexuality, this is a good avenue to brain-watch Africans. How can we escape this?
well said, EMPIRE for instance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Kingbilo(m): 3:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
Okay... But with the restrictions on Nigerian cards, how do we pay for these services undecided

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Donliv: 3:53pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good for them
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Kingbilo(m): 3:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
Proffdada:
well said, EMPIRE for instance

I don't want to be a spoiler but the gay guy in empire is now dating a lady lol
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by omodapson(m): 3:57pm On Jan 07, 2016
Eledan:
Looking forward to start watching Making of a Murderer tonight. With a SmartTv and a respectable internet connection, I don't see why I should be shelling out 16,140 Monthly for Dstv sub.

Do data come cheap? In the end, you might be shelling out more than 16k on data every month. Unless they come so cheap....
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jahstech: 3:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
BiggerBangs:
grin grin
[size=15pt]
Correct..a better place to exhaust my 20GbB Etisalat Data[/size]
stjsd:
Is a good news. but the question is, do we have any good and reliable network to enjoy it here in Nigeria? only if the answer is yes we can say goodbye to our dear fucking DSTV smiley smiley
kaybee88:
Do we stream movies in Nigeria? We know where to download free movies. Trust us
When you have access to unlimited internet like i do, you would forget about downloading..

When i saw this piece of news i checked the peanut they pay as monthly access few and also checked Skysports Now box, Guess unlimited internet is the key to the future

https://www.nairaland.com/2849430/coz-internet-limited-introduces-unlimited
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Ymodulus: 3:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
ZUBY77:
Nigeria should start blocking some foreign Media houses like China does.
That way, the indigenous ones can grow and employ its people.

No Nation succeeds by hanging on almost 100% to the ideas of other nations.

But Lai Muhammend and his band of propaganda rogues wont see this.
They rather focus on crushing the opposition members with lies and more lies.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As it stands Netflix dream of breaking into the china market is just a wish.

Netflix will never be allowed in China. It's just a day dream for CEO. We need to start generating revenue and not giving money to some foreign Johny just enter Nigeria foreign firms

Nice news to see such services available worldwide. However this is not only about services available worldwide, it's about local authorities allowing them to do their business freely.

I'm sure in a matter of days, Netflix will be blocked in the UAE because it's going to hurt the local communication companies which monopolize the market. Plus, I believe there's adult content on Netflix which can't be allowed in UAE.

Also in China, if there is anything to praise the Chinese Government for, its the fact that they don't just allow foreign competition that can kill of their local companies.

Take a look at several bug companies till date, Chinese government even while trying to control information try as much as possible to ensure that their own country have a local version of what is seen internationally.

Do you talk of

** Twitter? China has Weibo
** WhatsApp? China has wechat / Qq / recent
** Google? China has Baidu
** Amazon? We have Aliexpress , Taobao etc.

My point is, the CEO of Netflix should stop day dreaming about breaking into the Chinese market. It is never possible. Even Facebook till date is no where in China, not even twitter. Even Google has no presence.

Another problem is that Nigeria does not have cable operators or Good internet service like Comcast, that can allow good streaming of such videos on our home TV without Buffering.

Combining $8 ( 1600 naira ) + Internet subscription fee = Final subscription will be close DSTV subscription fee. I honestly don't see this as reasonable competition. Aside the fact that the movies on Netflix can be Movie on Demand

4 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by samflex(m): 4:00pm On Jan 07, 2016
How do one get to watch it on TV? I want to share my Internet from my phone
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Proffdada: 4:02pm On Jan 07, 2016
Kingbilo:

Hmmmm bisexualism in play
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Ymodulus: 4:02pm On Jan 07, 2016
ZUBY77:
Nigeria should start blocking some foreign Media houses like China does.
That way, the indigenous ones can grow and employ its people.

No Nation succeeds by hanging on almost 100% to the ideas of other nations.

But Lai Muhammend and his band of propaganda rogues wont see this.
They rather focus on crushing the opposition members with lies and more lies.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. As it stands Netflix dream of breaking into the china market is just a wish.

Netflix will never be allowed in China. It's just a day dream for CEO. We need to start generating revenue and not giving money to some foreign Johny just enter Nigeria foreign firms

Nice news to see such services available worldwide. However this is not only about services available worldwide, it's about local authorities allowing them to do their business freely.

I'm sure in a matter of days, Netflix will be blocked in the UAE because it's going to hurt the local communication companies which monopolize the market. Plus, I believe there's adult content on Netflix which can't be allowed in UAE.

Also in China, if there is anything to praise the Chinese Government for, its the fact that they don't just allow foreign competition that can kill of their local companies.

Take a look at several bug companies till date, Chinese government even while trying to control information try as much as possible to ensure that their own country have a local version of what is seen internationally.

Do you talk of

My point is, the CEO of Netflix should stop day dreaming about breaking into the Chinese market. It is never possible. Even Facebook till date is no where in China, not even twitter. Even Google has no presence.

Another problem is that Nigeria does not have cable operators or Good internet service like Comcast, that can allow good streaming of such videos on our home TV without Buffering.

However looking at the Good sight of this deal, it will be advantageous,

*Combining $8 ( 1600 naira ) + Internet subscription fee = Final subscription will be cheaper than DstV subscription.
* Aside the fact that the movies on Netflix can be Movie on Demand
* I can finally get to watch season movies as fast as possible without downloading

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by abhosts(m): 4:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
I just signed up and found their Movie and Series collection for Nigeria quite disappointing.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jahstech: 4:09pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ymodulus:

Do you talk of

Combining $8 ( 1600 naira ) + Internet subscription fee = Final subscription will be close DSTV subscription fee. I honestly don't see this as reasonable competition. Aside the fact that the movies on Netflix can be Movie on Demand

You are wrong my friend, just like i saw this topic was coming up
Lets do the math:
I pay 1600 for Netflix + 12000 for 1 month Unlimited Internet (Coz Internet) = 13600

If you have an Android Box like Ancloud P5 with premium channels, that takes care of all your soccer need.

Let say according to my research you pay 7000 "yearly" for premium bouquet on Ancloud P5, that takes the money to 20,600.

But NOTE: Your 12000 internet is for 1 month, so instead of watching only TV with 16000 (DSTHIEVES) for a MONTH, you pay a total of:
12,000 Internet
+
1600 Netflix
+
600 sport ( ancloud p5 subscription per month)
= 14200
not only for tv but for INTERNET CONNECTIVITY for a whole month!!!!!!

How is that my friend?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Kingbilo(m): 4:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
Proffdada:
Hmmmm bisexualism in play

grin

What do you want again o.. The guy has reverted to women, they say it's bisexualism.. Nna ehn.. grin
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Dinocarex(m): 4:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
My fear is that, after the expiration of the free one month
Will neflix automatically deducts money from your ATM or they will need confirmation from you.

Cuz I don't want stories that touch the heart later oo.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by onatisi(m): 4:12pm On Jan 07, 2016
dammytosh:
Peeps talking as if you will not need internet.
that is what many are overlooking. Mtn and other internet providers are the real gainers. Ppl will subscribe to netflix and again buy data from gsm and internet providers. Netflix films will consume enough data ,which means ppl will be buying more data,after 3 months Nigerians will start complaining and they will eventually reduce their patronage of netflzx and gently like an obedient school boy go back to their gotv,startimes and dstv

3 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Kingbilo(m): 4:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
jahstech:

Lets do the math:
I pay 1600 for Netflix + 12000 for 1 month Unlimited Internet (Coz Internet) = 13600

If you have an Android Box like Ancloud P5 with premium channels, that takes care of all your soccer need.

Let say according to my research you pay 7000 "yearly" for premium bouquet on Ancloud P5, that takes the money to 20,600.

But NOTE: Your 12000 internet is for 1 month, so instead of watching only TV with 16000 (DSTHIEVES) for a MONTH, you pay a total of:
12,000 Internet
+
1600 Netflix
+
= 14200

How is that my friend?

Please which Internet provider is fast and unlimited 24/7 at 12k per month

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 07, 2016
politricks:
Technology keeps getter better and better while we remain stagnant.

Abi? And we are ENTIRELY dependent on the West even for the technology that we do use.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Kingbilo(m): 4:14pm On Jan 07, 2016
abhosts:
I just signed up and found their Movie and Series collection for Nigeria quite disappointing.

Really? Not the same as US options?

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Orikinla(m): 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good news for Nigerian producers and directors.
Nunnsi's Wardrobe should be on Netflix.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jahstech: 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
Kingbilo:

Please which Internet provider is fast and unlimited 24/7 at 12k per month

www.coz-internet.com

if you are in Lagos, check out NGCOM
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Aspireahead(m): 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
bigtt76:
He only got monies from Venture Capitalists .....not money made from IrokoTV. He can't gain from the Netflix partnership ....Naija people would go for Series and not Nollywood

so u think this wont have an impact on Iroko and the likes
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by abhosts(m): 4:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
Kingbilo:

Really? Not the same as US options?

Not Even Near.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by SlyCharlie(m): 4:19pm On Jan 07, 2016
jahstech:

Lets do the math:

12,000 Internet
+
1600 Netflix
+
= 14200

How is that my friend?
Ogbeni ur head is there.. Killing two birds with one stone

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by manny4life(m): 4:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
Kingbilo:

That was a phase, did you not watch the last episode where he broke it off?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by cococandy(f): 4:22pm On Jan 07, 2016
VickyRotex:
I hardly watch movies embarassed

Netflix gave me a month free. And I'll have to pay afterwards.

Anyways, why should I worry, when Popcorntime is berraaa grin grin
Hey. Do you still get popcorntime?
It's been blocked on my side.
How do you get it?

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jahstech: 4:22pm On Jan 07, 2016
SlyCharlie:

Ogbeni ur head is there.. Killing two birds with one stone

That's the power of internet, the direction the world is heading, i sit on top HIGH TENSION dey look MUMU DSTV

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by masterpat(m): 4:25pm On Jan 07, 2016
VickyRotex:
I hardly watch movies embarassed

Netflix gave me a month free. And I'll have to pay afterwards.

Anyways, why should I worry, when Popcorntime is berraaa grin grin

How did u sigh up... i couldnt because my UBA master card wasnt accepted
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Profitsng(m): 4:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
Noted.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 4:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
ICAMETOWIN:
I thought they said buhari is driving away foreign companies?

Why are you embarrasing yourself like this?

In public fa?

At least try & understand the dynamics before pressing keypad na.

Sege

Na wa o

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by refreshrate: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2016
DanNafada:

Abi? And we are ENTIRELY dependent on the West even for the technology that we do use.

The most basic requirement - electricity, can you boast of it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote Moves To Purchase 10,000 Trucks From Indonesia / The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians / Dollar Crashes To ₦790 At Parallel Market After Tinubu, CBN Governor’s Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.