Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,762 members, 7,813,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers (41712 Views)

Ndic – “digital Currency Trading Is Not Legal In Nigeria” See Why! / Nigeria Enters League Of Steel Exporters / Nigeria – China Currency Deal – The Biggest Winners And Losers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
rychard:
You forget that the Nigeria. Govt have full sovereignty on what to allow into her airwaves, or internet from Nigeria. Go ask what happened to Uber in France and UK, we can get our tax steadily else we will block it
So? The tax rate of Nigeria is way cheaper than those of developed nations. A company that has run for 18years and spread its tentacles to majority of countries worldwide can handle it.
Our government can't even pull the corruption card because this's a service only the youth understand which, as at 2016, people of youth age have no position of power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by amparas(m): 9:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
Its no big deal. All their top series are always available on torrent an I prefer having the movies on pc rather than streaming

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by purplekayc(m): 9:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
jahstech:

That's the company I work for, so is not a fluke or a hear-say. Network is in Lagos but doesn't cover all part, I work in Warri branch and we are currently covering the whole of warri
what are the. parts covered?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Corussa1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
Mobdro Them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jahstech: 10:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
purplekayc:
what are the. parts covered?
In Lagos or Warri?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by shopandmall(m): 10:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
BiggerBangs:
grin grin
[size=15pt]
Correct..a better place to exhaust my 20GbB Etisalat Data[/size]

too small for any real stuff
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 07, 2016
admax:
On a negative note: American Gayism and Lesbianism culture will now be fully integrated into the Nigerian culture as most American movies, reality shows and soap opera must those act. Since most Africans are reluctant to embrace homosexuality, this is a good avenue to brain-watch Africans. How can we escape this?

You are your own enemy. There is nothing more maddening than running when you are not being pursued. Don't create HBP for yourself when there is no cause to do so!
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by CoolUsername: 10:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
admax:
On a negative note: American Gayism and Lesbianism culture will now be fully integrated into the Nigerian culture as most American movies, reality shows and soap opera must those act. Since most Africans are reluctant to embrace homosexuality, this is a good avenue to brain-watch Africans. How can we escape this?
wut?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Danbam(m): 10:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
admax:

What difference does it make since u use your own money to buy both normal and seasonal movies that encourage such act. This will make a lil diff
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by CoolUsername: 10:41pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lyoncrescent:

Visit Kickass Torrent at https://kat.cr/

Search for any movie or series but always read the comments before you download the torrent to get audio and video rating.

Compared to netflix, once you download a movie you can share it with friends rather than streaming where you have to share your password to share. Torrent also has no subscription compared to netflix. A movie downloaded using torrent can be watched 1 million times offline compared to netflix. If your office internet allows torrent like mine does even though, it only works before 8 am and after 4.00 p.m., You are in luck. This is because your download goes on in the background and you can watch it at home compared to netflix which you cant stream and watch at work . That is why i said netflix doesnt make sense to me unless torent is banned. I only download what i want to watch rather than netflix where you have to pay for what you watch and dont watch.

I downloaded an excellent version of Beast of No Nation on Kickass torrent the week it came out and a month before it was premiered in Nigeria.Why should i pay for it when i can get it cheaper if you like ? Kickass is Piracy but yet again na who holy pass ?. I downloaded NARCOS Series,The entire season in two days from kickass torrent. Same HD quality. Didnt pay a kobo.Used office data. Some Angel on Netflix put it on torrent. I have never watched game of thrones anywhere else but on my laptop downloaded from torrent. So its not just netflix series one can download.

Kickass Torrent is Data.

Netflix is Data plus SUbscription plus you cannot watch offline plus more data to watch more than once plus you cant share

If unlimited data or maybe 50GB data per month was affordable, netflix would have made sense to me as a person. I dont have money you see.

Torrenting was somewhat justifiable when the shows weren't available in the country but is it good to steal people's hard work?

Would you steal a movie from a shop? If not, then why torrent it?

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by purplekayc(m): 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2016
jahstech:
In Lagos or Warri?
Lagos,
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by deolu2000(m): 11:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
nextstep:

That's exactly what I was thinking. 3gb that I budget for 2 weeks will be exhausted in 2 days watching netflix.
until we get to the level of these advanced countries copying their lifestyles will do more harm than good in all ramification.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Peterwins(m): 12:21am On Jan 08, 2016
I remember trying to subscribe few months ago but could not because their service wasn't available to Nigeria. I just thought to myself how they were missing a huge market potential in Nigeria. Here's the maths (projections):

1. 10,000,000 Monthly subscribers x $8 (average monthly sub) = $80Million per month in revenue.

2. $80million x 12months = $960million (approx $1billion) annual revenue.

The figures above can easily be achieved and even surpassed within 2years if:

They partner with banks, ISPs and other telecom providers by ensuring special data rates / bundles for Nexflix subscribers.

Nigeria have a growing youth population. Indeed, the Nigerian market is a goldmine for both local and International organisations that take their businesses seriously with the right strategies.

The last time I checked their stock price today, it was down by about 2.65% on NASDAQ. Buying their stock ($114.56 as at today) may not be a bad idea considering their growing global expansion.

PS: I subscribed today. Their potential subscribers / customers (mainly youths) will need cheaper and faster internet connection. They should work on this to succeed in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by DanjaNinja(m): 12:29am On Jan 08, 2016
nextstep:

That's exactly what I was thinking. 3gb that I budget for 2 weeks will be exhausted in 2 days watching netflix.

Not two days but one hour. One movie in netflix will take you at least 5GB to watch.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by DanjaNinja(m): 12:37am On Jan 08, 2016
Peterwins:
I remember trying to subscribe few months ago but could not because their service wasn't available to Nigeria. I just thought to myself how they were missing a huge market potential in Nigeria. Here's the maths (projections):

1. 10,000,000 Monthly subscribers x $8 (average monthly sub) = $80Million per month in revenue.

2. $80million x 12months = $960million (approx $1billion) annual revenue.

The figures above can easily be achieved and even surpassed within 2years if:

They partner with banks, ISPs and other telecom providers by ensuring special data rates / bundles for Nexflix subscribers.

Nigeria have a growing youth population. Indeed, the Nigerian market is a goldmine for both local and International organisations that take their businesses seriously with the right strategies.

The last time I checked their stock price today, it was down by about 2.65% on NASDAQ. Buying their stock ($114.56 as at today) may not be a bad idea considering their growing global expansion.

PS: I subscribed today. Their potential subscribers / customers (mainly youths) will need cheaper and faster internet connection. They should work on this to succeed in Nigeria.

Your head is very valid my brother

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by leofab(f): 12:56am On Jan 08, 2016
I
politricks:
Technology keeps getter better and better while we remain stagnant.
stagnant and prayerful.. Hoping to improve in heaven....

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by 19naia(m): 1:16am On Jan 08, 2016
Dont fall for the hype of Netflix. Its something you can enjoy for a 1 month subscription and watch their assortment, but dont be misled into renewing the subscriptin into further months or perpetually unless you are a slow veiwer who has the money to spare.

They dont update their assortment often enough to inerest daily viewers. Netflix, HBO now, and others are all the same.
I subscribe once every 6 months ,and even so they dont update much at all even after 6 months.

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by coolscott(m): 1:24am On Jan 08, 2016
Eledan:

Dstv major selling points are the Mnet channels and Supersports.
With Netflix, I can get all the Movies and shows. For current movies, box office and life sports I will turn to GENESIS on my Android MXiii box. cool

[size=13pt]Please break down what GENESIS is. I am ignorant here[/size]
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by LOVEGINO(m): 4:01am On Jan 08, 2016
Eledan:

Dstv major selling points are the Mnet channels and Supersports.
With Netflix, I can get all the Movies and shows. For current movies, box office and life sports I will turn to GENESIS on my Android MXiii box. cool
wia can I get Android MXiii box here in Nigeria?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by mikolo80: 4:05am On Jan 08, 2016
ZUBY77:
Nigeria should start blocking some foreign Media houses like China does.
That way, the indigenous ones can grow and employ its people.

No Nation succeeds by hanging on almost 100% to the ideas of other nations.

But Lai Muhammend and his band of propaganda rogues wont see this.
They rather focus on crushing the opposition members with lies and more lies.
who is holding nta, ordinary thundersub and voltRon they cannot show. even night movie and National Geographic. if after 66 years they cannot compete wit ordinary dstv is it Netflix or CNN they want to contest with? abeg leave trash for garbage collector,

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by mikolo80: 4:06am On Jan 08, 2016
venorite:
Where the internet na, this one wey mtn and glo de do anyhpw
calm down competition go clear all man eye
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by VickyRotex(f): 4:57am On Jan 08, 2016
cococandy:
okay

Hello! I just tried it, it's working.

What error is yours displaying?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by cococandy(f): 5:34am On Jan 08, 2016
VickyRotex:

Hello! I just tried it, it's working.

What error is yours displaying?
It just won't load the movies.
Where do you reside?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jahstech: 5:35am On Jan 08, 2016
purplekayc:
Lagos,
Am not a Lagosean I would have know all the major areas, but I knw the main office is in Ajah, when I went there for my training I think we went to Lekki, Banana Island and some other places around. Check the website ngcomworld.com you can get a number to call there and make all your inquiries.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by suyamasta(m): 7:13am On Jan 08, 2016
Abeg i no do, i dont like streaming movies i prefer downloads
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Syreeta(f): 7:53am On Jan 08, 2016
Just wondering... do you also work for free?
(this no be about who holy pass)

Lyoncrescent:
I am indifferent to the whole netflix thing.

I was able to download Beast of No Nation on Torrent 24 hours after it was released on netflix.

Sherlocks Abominable Bride was on torrent, three hours after it was released.

Even series exclusive to Netflix such as House of Cards and Orange is the new black are often avalaible on Torrent. Netflix even makes it easier to download because they release all the episodes to their series at the same time i think. Downloading on torrent is free and sweet if you work in an office that doesnt block torrent.

If i want to watch Nigerian Movies, i visit youtube and watch them for free.

Streaming Movies on Netflix in Nigeria doesnt make any economic sense for lyoncrescent unless all torrent websites are banned.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Kipstar(m): 8:40am On Jan 08, 2016
How about Spotify ?
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Leopantro: 9:42am On Jan 08, 2016
LOVEGINO:
wia can I get Android MXiii box here in Nigeria?

Though I have an android TV box, you don't need it for this.
My problem with torrent is that people can bundle malware, Trojans or viruses with the film.
Considering that the Netflix for the Nigerian viewers will be limited in connect, what's the point, considering the size of the videos. Netflix does not allow you to choose the quality, hence the size of video.

With Genesis (TVMC) you have full access to all and more of Netflix contents and you can choose the quality of the video to stream or download. Network speed can also be selected for poor Internet speed.
Using low quality LQ, I downloaded the whole season 9 of the big bang theory with 1gb of data and the quality is beautiful.
You can choose Low quality, Medium quality, High quality, 720p and 1080p.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by jajad: 10:03am On Jan 08, 2016
Leopantro:

Though I have an android TV box, you don't need it for this.
My problem with torrent is that people can bundle malware, Trojans or viruses with the film.
Considering that the Netflix for the Nigerian viewers will be limited in connect, what's the point, considering the size of the videos. Netflix does not allow you to choose the quality, hence the size of video.

With Genesis (TVMC) you have full access to all and more of Netflix contents and you can choose the quality of the video to stream or download. Network speed can also be selected for poor Internet speed.
Using low quality LQ, I downloaded the whole season 9 of the big bang theory with 1gb of data and the quality is beautiful.
You can choose Low quality, Medium quality, High quality, 720p and 1080p.

Actually, Netflix DOES allow you to choose the quality. The lowest quality uses 300MB/hour max.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Leopantro: 10:22am On Jan 08, 2016
jajad:

Actually, Netflix DOES allow you to choose the quality. The lowest quality uses 300MB/hour max.

Didn't know that, thanks
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by DealMogul(m): 10:31am On Jan 08, 2016
ZUBY77:
Nigeria should start blocking some foreign Media houses like China does.
That way, the indigenous ones can grow and employ its people.

No Nation succeeds by hanging on almost 100% to the ideas of other nations.

But Lai Muhammend and his band of propaganda rogues wont see this.
They rather focus on crushing the opposition members with lies and more lies.

Interesting perception...

Not sure where you're going with this line of thought though..If I may ask, who are the "indegenious ones"? Who is stopping them from growing? Has the FG shown or indicated exclusive support for western media at the detriment of our local media? Don't just type out of the barrel...think things through before typing please
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by VickyRotex(f): 11:10am On Jan 08, 2016
cococandy:

It just won't load the movies.
Where do you reside?

Oh yea. I think I'm experiencing same challenge. It took longer time to stream the movies yesterday and even at that it dint load them completely, felt it's the network so I dint bother trying again.

Also, Ive always known there are some movies that wont load if there is/are no peer(s) streaming it at that moment.

Do you turn on your VPN? Cos I dont, I just stream directly.

I reside in Montreal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians / Dollar Crashes To ₦790 At Parallel Market After Tinubu, CBN Governor’s Meeting / Want To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary? This Is A Must See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.