Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers (41715 Views)

Ndic – “digital Currency Trading Is Not Legal In Nigeria” See Why! / Nigeria Enters League Of Steel Exporters / Nigeria – China Currency Deal – The Biggest Winners And Losers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by ElFenomeno1: 3:24pm On Jan 07, 2016
Welcome Netflix

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by free2ryhme: 3:24pm On Jan 07, 2016
Your post did not specifically address the losers. Where does DSTV stand in all of this and what shld be her lose once netflix enter the nigeria market

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 3:25pm On Jan 07, 2016
Did they ever make any impact?

Aspireahead:
Iroko TV watchout!

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Darkseid(m): 3:25pm On Jan 07, 2016
The posters above, I wonder if na MTN 10mb una go use stream am.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 07, 2016
damn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by canalily(m): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
Wait o o oshocked this Netflix do they fix broken Netsundecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
Netflix now have an optimized app that consumes less data. I've been off DSTV rubbish for a year now. HULU, Netflix, Popcorn time, Mobdro and Kickass Torrents been my replacement grin

free2ryhme:
Your post did not specifically address the losers. Where does DSTV stand in all of this and what shld be her lose once netflix enter the nigeria market

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by deolu2000(m): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
Only a small percentage of Nigerians watches internet TV as such,due to high cost of data and ofcourse poor services from ISP, so i don't how this news is so special to a common man aside to the elites that can afford their own bandwidth.

10 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by maryhaam(f): 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
I don't get this netflix thing,what is it about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by kaybee88(m): 3:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
Do we stream movies in Nigeria? We know where to download free movies. Trust us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by deekseen(m): 3:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
DSTv knew I planned dumping their a55 since september and they didn't disconnect me (until yesterday) even though I refused to pay. Now is the time to get that Android box.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
Time to get a netflix extractor. Their website is the only place I can get 4K HD content. A regular 4K movie is around 30GB or so; around 6 MTN SS refills -- easy cool.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by moonraker(m): 3:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
Ahem

Does Nigeria have the bandwidth to stream Netflix without buffering??

Sorry, this is a legitimate question.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Aspireahead(m): 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
bigtt76:
Did they ever make any impact?

well..the guy made some few cash from it...and there was this time i heard they were partnering with netflix to promote naija movies
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Btruth: 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good news indeed. Expecting to hear more of such news from NCC for company like Vodafone, Orange, O2 and more to come and invest into our economy. I won't mind Carphone Warehouse too......lol grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Cutehector(m): 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
Wetin concern me if dem Enta Nigeria.. are they goin to provide jobs or Nad?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by deekseen(m): 3:32pm On Jan 07, 2016
Eledan:

Dstv major selling points are the Mnet channels and Supersports.
With Netflix, I can get all the Movies and shows. For current movies, box office and life sports I will turn to GENESIS on my Android MXiii box. cool
Oga, where did you get your Android box? Been aching to get one for a while now.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by stjsd(m): 3:32pm On Jan 07, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by onatisi(m): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
There is nothing good news about this story.the gainers will be the internet providers as more ppl will buy more data,after 6 months netflix will complain about poor market and bad sales and most likely move out of Nigeria. Dstv will still be dominant because majority of Nigerians hooked on cable tv will still be subscribing to them ,this is also another way of caoital flight. What should happen is that local companies should be encouraged to compete favourably with outside companies

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by An0nimus: 3:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lyoncrescent:
I am indifferent to the whole netflix thing.

I was able to download Beast of No Nation on Torrent 24 hours after it was released on netflix.

Sherlocks Abominable Bride was on torrent, three hours after it was released.

Even series exclusive to Netflix such as House of Cards and Orange is the new black are often avalaible on Torrent. Netflix even makes it easier to download because they release all the episodes to their series at the same time i think. Downloading on torrent is free and sweet if you work in an office that doesnt block torrent.

If i want to watch Nigerian Movies, i visit youtube and watch them for free.

Streaming Movies on Netflix in Nigeria doesnt make any economic sense for lyoncrescent unless all torrent websites are banned.

Your head is there.
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by omatule2000(m): 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2016

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by johncreek: 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
Eledan:
Looking forward to start watching Making of a Murderer tonight. With a SmartTv and a respectable internet connection, I don't see why I should be shelling out 16,140 Monthly for Dstv sub.
As in ehhh... DSTV go regret.... Netflix ti take over iyalaya DSTV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by profmallory(m): 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
where have you been?.. like we have not been exposed to them before now.. there is nothing going on in the world that we have not been already exposed too in Nigeria. Netflix is only making it more readily available and cheaper.

admax:
On a negative note: American Gayism and Lesbianism culture will now be fully integrated into the Nigerian culture as most American movies, reality shows and soap opera must those act. Since most Africans are reluctant to embrace homosexuality, this is a good avenue to brain-watch Africans. How can we escape this?

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by softtouch2(m): 3:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
moonraker:
Ahem

Does the Nigeria has the bandwidth to stream Netflix without buffering??

Sorry, this is a legitimate question.

Yes... But very expensive with limited service in some area (Not even whole of Lagos)
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Alfred234(m): 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good development but which data plan we go dey use watch am

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by tivta(m): 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
The content available in Nigeria will be limited compared to the US, due to copyright issues...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by adaweezy(m): 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
Lyoncrescent:
I am indifferent to the whole netflix thing.

I was able to download Beast of No Nation on Torrent 24 hours after it was released on netflix.

Sherlocks Abominable Bride was on torrent, three hours after it was released.

Even series exclusive to Netflix such as House of Cards and Orange is the new black are often avalaible on Torrent. Netflix even makes it easier to download because they release all the episodes to their series at the same time i think. Downloading on torrent is free and sweet if you work in an office that doesnt block torrent.

If i want to watch Nigerian Movies, i visit youtube and watch them for free.

Streaming Movies on Netflix in Nigeria doesnt make any economic sense for lyoncrescent unless all torrent websites are banned.
Very true

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by vani86: 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2016
BiggerBangs:
grin grin
[size=15pt]
Correct..a better place to exhaust my 20GbB Etisalat Data[/size]

20 gb on netflix wont last upto 2 weeks

2 Likes

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by softtouch2(m): 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2016
If good and affordable broadband data is available, DSTV should be ready to vacate Nigeria, that is only major WIN

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by Totfulguy: 3:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
segello:
The World’s leading internet television company, Netflix has announced that it is expanding to about 130 companies around the world including Nigeria. According to the Press Release issued by the company, subscribers to Netflix service will be able to stream their series and catalogue of licensed TV shows and movies.

Netflix is also available on virtually any device that has an Internet connection, including personal computers, tablets, smartphones, Smart TVs and game consoles, and is known to provide one of the best possible streaming quality based on available bandwidth. The company followed the announcements with a series of tweets.
Implication for Nigeria

Winners

Before now watching Netflix from Nigeria was virtually impossible as you get blocked once your IP address is recognized as coming from Nigeria. By including Nigeria, interested subscribers can now access Neflix in exchange for a fee giving them access to their bouquet of movies, series and TV shows. Internet service providers in Nigeria will be happy to hear this announcements as it means Nigerians will have to rely on their service to stream programs. Internet consumption in Nigeria has been on an increase in recent years and now forms a huge chunk of the revenues accruing to GSM companies. Nigerians are now used to browsing the internet with their mobile phones, tablets and laptops relying on mifi’s, internet modems and VSAT. According to the National Communications Commission, NCC, Internet subscription numbers for GSM companies was about 97 million and almost thrice the number in 2012.

Losers

The news might not be so good for Nigerian companies into internet movie, series and TV show streaming. Netflix has a huge economies of scale that they can’t compete with and have also started adding Nigerian movies in their bouquet. They are also very good in the business of internet television and have what it takes to embark on a price war with their Nigerian competitors. Digital satellite TV stations are also threatened by this news as Netflix also boast of an impressive catalogue of series, TV shows and Box Office movies.

The Nigerian government could also lose tax revenues and face another round of forex pressures on its external reserves if the subscription is priced in US dollars. If the Nigerian Government is not up to speed with its plans to widen its tax base it could lose potential revenues to the US.

http://nairametrics.com/netflix-enters-nigeria-see-the-winners-and-loser

Nice one...ANYTHING BUT DSTV. I dont tire for them!
Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by bigtt76(f): 3:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
He only got monies from Venture Capitalists .....not money made from IrokoTV. He can't gain from the Netflix partnership ....Naija people would go for Series and not Nollywood

Aspireahead:

well..the guy made some few cash from it...and there was this time i heard they were partnering with netflix to promote naija movies

1 Like

Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by haftob(m): 3:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
BiggerBangs:
grin grin [size=15pt] Correct..a better place to exhaust my 20GbB Etisalat Data[/size]
How did u accumulate dis amount of data on etisalat?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians / Dollar Crashes To ₦790 At Parallel Market After Tinubu, CBN Governor’s Meeting / Want To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary? This Is A Must See

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.