Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? (3839 Views)

Wife Introduction: My Mum Insists On Pregnancy First / My Dad Cheated On My Mum Before She Died And He's Still Doing It / My Elder Brother's Wife Beat My Mum (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by bukatyne(f): 10:55pm On Jan 13, 2016
In laws sha...

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Askseek(f): 12:42am On Jan 14, 2016
Yomieluv:
Le t me summarise it.

Went to visit my mum with my wife.didn't meet her at home,because she went to a party nearby.

My wife and i went to meet her there.while i carried my wife's bag.while she carried her small bag,and the gift she bought for her.

Was in office today when mum called me specifically to tell me never to see me again carrying my wife's bag. That it makes me less of a man. She was in the midst of her friends at the party.

I just cut the call,and i have been brooding over that since.

Is she right?

She is not wrong or right. It's her opinion and this doesn't have to be the end of the world. Acknowledge her and do what you works for you and your wife. She will come to terms with it if that's what you want. Like some have said though, you can avoid things that will trigger your mother and cause tension between her and your wife just for peace sake
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by tpiah2: 12:50am On Jan 14, 2016
Yomieluv:
I am a dog!
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by McSquishi(f): 2:05am On Jan 14, 2016
Yomieluv:
i can't na.

Else the animosity won't end easily.

I love my mum.and cherish my wife.

You sound like the perfect hubby & your marriage is obviously destined to continue to prosper. It's important that a man/woman be able to balance the duties of husband and son simultaneously. From everything you've written, you seem to be doing that.

Your mom is old school & when folks from the old school preach to us, we listen respectfully, perhaps try to impart some modern thinking to them, but if they don't accept it, just let it go. Continue doing what's best for your marriage. Mom seems more concerned abt appearances in this instance while you're concerned about your wife's health and practical things. The latter wins out.

You did good OP.

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Nobody: 3:11am On Jan 14, 2016
[quote author=tpiah2 post=41952991][/quote]you are a fan,but i dont do Expired goods.

Try harder.
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Miami11: 5:19am On Jan 14, 2016
McSquishi:

You sound like the perfect hubby & your marriage is obviously destined to continue to prosper. It's important that a man/woman be able to balance the duties of husband and son simultaneously. From everything you've written, you seem to be doing that.

Your mom is old school & when folks from the old school preach to us, we listen respectfully, perhaps try to impart some modern thinking to them, but if they don't accept it, just let it go. Continue doing what's best for your marriage. Mom seems more concerned abt appearances in this instance while you're concerned about your wife's health and practical things. The latter wins out.

You did good OP.
You are so on point, with the older folks you just need to play around what you say but express yourself, like "mum it's just a bag and besides she's expecting" you don't just act a fool or confused. They will get the message.
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by cococandy(f): 6:03am On Jan 14, 2016
Amen sister. Preach
PresVA:
You made the mistake of not calling your mum to order before cutting the call..

Tell her it's what you love doing and the woman no use juju hold you. . Tell her she's your wife and you can do anything for her... you can also go on to explain that your wife had too many bags hence you decided to help..

When a husband treats his wife rightly, na juju the woman use hold am... nawa oo... You'll see so many husbands who desire doing 'stuffs' for their wives deter or even give up because of what people will tag them...

A priest in my parish will always tell men that when other men or people ridicule you because of good stuffs you do for your wife/family, they ridicule you because they can't have the kind of lovely family you've got! They're so jealous in their minds! Some of them will be jealous that you're always running home to your wife/family instead of staying in the bar and drinking hence they end up mocking you to feel good about themselves. ..

My husband carries my handbag often especially when I have put so many things in it and it's heavy! I see nothing wrong with it!

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by teevodaprinz(m): 8:44pm On Jan 28, 2016
Miami11:

Who are this mothers, that people have to hide or dodge them even to do a simple task like carrying their wife's bag, are mothers God now, even people don't hide from God.

Instead of advising poster to educate his mom, you are busy mis advising him not to do the necessary.

You shouldn't disrespect your mother to please your wife... Meaning you shouldn't place your wife over your mom likewise your mom over your wife so that none wil not feel rejected... A man is always a man and one of the worst thing that can frustrate a man in marriage is to incur enmity btw the wife and the mother if care is not taken it will cause him a great loss either on the wife part, the mother or his siblings... I think you should just try to make you mom understand your reason for doing that... Be wise
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Godsbaby1(f): 9:29pm On Jan 28, 2016
I think hand bags are part of fashion, it is not meant to pack heavy loads in it, may be money, phones tissue, may be powder even if she preg she can handle it, what u wud have done is to carry the gift why she handle her bag, for me i cant be comfortable if my husband volunteer to carry my bag. Let him have other things but my bag mbanu,
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Miami11: 10:51pm On Jan 28, 2016
teevodaprinz:

You shouldn't disrespect your mother to please your wife... Meaning you shouldn't place your wife over your mom likewise your mom over your wife so that none wil not feel rejected... A man is always a man and one of the worst thing that can frustrate a man in marriage is to incur enmity btw the wife and the mother if care is not taken it will cause him a great loss either on the wife part, the mother or his siblings... I think you should just try to make you mom understand your reason for doing that... Be wise
What is disrespecting a mom in telling her carrying a wives handbag is no big deal, that is a hypocrites mentality you have.
I have no problem telling my real mom whatever I want, this does not change the fact that she still remains my mom.

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by drmikeadams(m): 12:00am On Jan 29, 2016
kilode100:
You sef!!
Why you wan put your innocent wife for trouble?? grin

Your Mum is right!!

My hubby washes my pants and Bra and other household utensils which is normal thing to do.. But doing such things outside sends wrong signals.

My hubby goes down on me, do you think his mother will like that kain thing?

You no do well Nna. Abi she don cook efo-riro for you chop??
Think am o..
grin grin grin....l.some hobbies be pant washers ..chai....indomie girls

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 29, 2016
Males and their mothers sha

I no fit shout

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by byvan03: 11:41am On Jan 31, 2016
In- laws have ruined many marriages, I really like how you handled your mum. Let her know her place and not cause conflict in your home. Women can be very wicked, especially when they see their sons doing what their father never did for her.

1 Like

Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 01, 2016
In the Nigerian society it's wrong for a man to carry a lady's bag while they walk together, but it's okay in the western world.

Same way Americans would think two grown men holding hands and strolling together are gays, but here in Nigeria we do not see it that way. It's all a matter of social context.
Re: Is My Mum Right To Have Said This? by buoye1(m): 2:35am On Feb 01, 2016
So matured..... TwUae bros
Acidosis:
There are certain things you don't do in the presence of people.

A female poster said her hubby washes her pants and bra (I won't do this certainly and I'm sure my wife will never demand such or allow me to..), but will the same hubby wash such in his mother or father's presence?

Assuming you wash your wife's underwear, would you be proud to do such in the presence of your friends or landlord? and even walk to the line to hang them with pegs?

Carrying a woman's bag is not wrong, but it can be done in a wrong place/scenario.

Nobody will kill you if you wash underwear or carry a woman's pink bag; but nobody will kill you if you don't, and you're likely to command better respect.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Good Options For AS - AS Couples? / Senator Yerima Divorces 17yrs Old Egyptian Wife, Marries Another 15yrs Old / Why Do Wives Manipulate Their Husbands?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.