Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading (44381 Views)

TSTV'S Goliath Challenge Of DSTV / TSTV Africa Decoder Gives 10x More Of Dstv, Gotv, And Starttime / DSTV Monopoly Is Up Pay As You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 15, 2016
Dio1:

You can't watch Bpl on any service provider of your choice because DSYV purchases those rights.
You guys are so ignorant .
If you knew how much the rights to showing those leagues cost you wouldn't say such.
I keep on saying that it isn't compulsory to watch DSTV , Nigerians should stop complaining about their prices.

That is not the point.

We know that you must have the rights to broadcast BPL.

The bill does not stop DSTV from obtaining the rights. With the bill passed into law, it means we would no longer have to be restricted to bouquets. We would actually pay only for stations we want to watch. So nothing like all those rubbish bouquets. Just select the channels you want and pay for only those channels.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by bigabbey: 8:32am On Jan 15, 2016
Get connected to free to air and set yourself free!.Free To Air rules!
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ITSaWRAPOUTFITS: 8:32am On Jan 15, 2016
This is a good news, I pray it scales through
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by islandmoon: 8:33am On Jan 15, 2016
who know why they did this? may be DSTV has not be paying their bribe as due, it may just be a way of threatening DSTV to come and settle!!

we dont know their motive!

2 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 8:34am On Jan 15, 2016
Koolmexxi:
DSTv dey do shakara because no serious competition. They provide exclusive epl coverage and an array of quality programs/channels. .. D epl is what makes DSTv it's own competition. Our indigenous cable companies are jus interested in stocking junk channels with little or no contents as cable packages. What has stopped Consat or Star times or Daarsat from paying for viewing rights from skysports or even from dstv?? CTL is d only close competition but lack nationwide reach. DSTv is ripping nigerians off but it's solely because d competition makes it look so and are unserious.
DSTV will never sell the rights to live coverages. They know that will kill them. Why will Ngerians go to DSTV direct when they can get it from Star times thats cheaper?

The sincere truth is the laws needs to be lessened for others. And in 2019 when the bidding is reopen for premier league rights, you will see DSTV won't have 100% regardless of whether the bill(s) is/are passed into law or not.

If Star Times can get the rights to the Bundesliga from DSTV, they can get part of the EPL rights from them as well.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by babadem2much(m): 8:35am On Jan 15, 2016
DjAndroid:

What do you use?

Antenna (VHF N UHF)
** faints and resurrect with mytv)
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Abachaz: 8:37am On Jan 15, 2016
they have started again, is just a scam to collect money from dstv. they know dstv will come and lobby them to sweep the matter under the carpet. members of the lower and upper chamber don't pay subscription for dstv, rather dstv give them yrly commission, why will they bite the finger that feed them. na today we they hear such motions.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by hancock(m): 8:40am On Jan 15, 2016
South African broadcaster awarded live TV rights for three seasons from 2016/17

SuperSport's Alvin Naicker on why BPL Live in Johannesburg was such a success in South Africa
The Premier League is pleased to announce that Supersport has been awarded its broadcasting rights in sub-Saharan Africa for seasons 2016/17 to 2018/19.
Supersport is the Premier League’s current broadcast partner in the region, and has broadcast the competition since its first season in 1992/93. The agreement includes exclusive rights for sub-Saharan Africa.
NBC Sports awarded live rights >>
“We are extremely pleased that Supersport has chosen to invest in our broadcasting rights in sub-Saharan Africa for seasons 2016/17 to 2018/19," Premier League Executive Chairman, Richard Scudamore, said. "Supersport is a long-term partner of the Premier League and has an excellent track record of delivering high-quality coverage of our competition for fans in the region."
The Premier League will conduct a separate sales process for a free-to-air package in sub-Saharan Africa which includes the rights to broadcast one live fixture per match-round.
I was sure I had read this before shocked

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/aug/120815-premier-league-awards-supersport-sub-saharan-broadcast-rights.html
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dee60: 8:41am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:
These reps are just jobless. If you don't like dstv, buy startimes or cmtv nobody tied your hands or forced you. If the NBC as a regulator didn't know about or couldn't enforce industry best practices like their counterparts worldwide, who is to blame ?

South Africa is wise enough to 'support' their own companies like DSTV and MTN to take the continent. Nigeria as a nation hardly supports anyone. Read the words carefully - the bill will only give room to enforce penalties. The reps want to reap where they have not sown. If they mean well, I guess they should be looking at how to provide the needed capital to support the Nigerian initiative. There is really no monopoly there today. StarTimes is chinese, DSTV is South African. If you pull down the South Africans, the Chinese will take over. We are going round in circles. The parliament is not shedding the pulldown mentality. Where is the PIB? Where are those other cogent and urgent bills? Who cares about DSTV?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by SlyCharlie(m): 8:43am On Jan 15, 2016
yommys01:
DSTV will never sell the rights to live coverages. They know that will kill them. Why will Ngerians go to DSTV direct when they can get it from Star times thats cheaper?

The sincere truth is the laws needs to be lessened for others. And in 2019 when the bidding is reopen for premier league rights, you will see DSTV won't have 100% regardless of whether the bill(s) is/are passed into law or not.

If Star Times can get the rights to the Bundesliga from DSTV, they can get part of the EPL rights from them as well.
Bro i completely agree with u....
The only close competition to DSTV for now is startimes. And the only difference is that Dstv has Bpl and Laliga, whereas StarTimesNG hasn't, i strongly believe that in 2019 when the bidding reopens for those leagues, Dstv won't have 100 percent rights to them, cos for StarTimesNG to take away the Bundesliga Seria A and Ligue 1 from Dstv, then u know they are ready fof business.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Muyiii(m): 8:43am On Jan 15, 2016
We need to be careful though...it's not like I'm against the bill but to these foreign investors it seems like we're witch-hunting them.Think about it, the ongoing saga between MTN and NCC...now DSTV. This outfits gave jobs to Nigerians, jobs our government are struggling to provide. Let's not make Nigeria a hostile ground for foreign investors when we ourselves ain't doing much for our own.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 15, 2016
abubakaa:

how u dey take do am?

na only CCTV i dey see when my sub finish
i disconect the decoder from the tv
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dee60: 8:50am On Jan 15, 2016
Muyiii:
We need to be careful though...it's not like I'm against the bill but to these foreign investors it seems like we're witch-hunting them.Think about it, the ongoing saga between MTN and NCC...now DSTV. This outfits gave jobs to Nigerians, jobs our government are struggling to provide. Let's not make Nigeria a hostile ground for foreign investors when we ourselves ain't doing much for our own.

Someone has said that blacks do not think far! We are now seeking to kill the Africa Rennaisance project. African nations are jostling to give their economies to crooked partners. Take DSTV and MTN - do you know how many Nigerians are gainfuly employed, well trained and equipped by these companies? Go to any chinese firms and you'll likely see that Nigerians are only used as labourers, cooks, mai guard and drivers. When will Africa rise, when will we start thinking?

As one former head of state once said, the political elite are Nigeria's number one problem. It is really obvious and they themselves know it.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dio1(m): 8:53am On Jan 15, 2016
Ganoderma:

That is not the point.

We know that you must have the rights to broadcast BPL.

The bill does not stop DSTV from obtaining the rights. With the bill passed into law, it means we would no longer have to be restricted to bouquets. We would actually pay only for stations we want to watch. So nothing like all those rubbish bouquets. Just select the channels you want and pay for only those channels.

That's more expensive go and do your research
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by lezz(m): 8:55am On Jan 15, 2016
Sanity is coming at last. For long dstv has dictated most of the content of what we watch on sattelite tv and how we watch it, and at what price.

Watch them slash prices, introduce more content and channels. But we want pay per view as obtained elsewhere. But this is a good start.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Dio1(m): 8:56am On Jan 15, 2016
yommys01:
Because you can afford it does not mean everyone can. In the UK for instance, Sky cost just about 60 pounds and that comes with Internet usage with UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD AND UPLOAD ACCESS.

In Nigeria, I pay 14k for DSTV with shitty repeated programs and 19,500 for Spectranet which is capped at 70 GBP ( which they even cheat me out of ).

This I can afford it, I don't care about others mentality won't help this country. A friend of my in Ukraine ( schooling there ) pays just 3,500 a month and still uses Internet.

Do you think these other companies don't pay for rights too?

Good a thing the so called rights will expire after this season, hopefully the reps would have passed the law that will allow others favourably bid for the EPL rights.

You are jonsing if you think DSTV is bigger than startimes or if they have more money than them. Just do a bit of research and you will see it is only the useless laws limiting Star times.

Edit : DSTV Have the EPL right till 2018/2019 season unfortunately. They can however be forced to share the rights.
You pay for unlimited broadband Internet.
I'm guessing spectranet isn't broadband.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ColeworldMD(m): 8:59am On Jan 15, 2016
grandstar:
The high cost of entry into cable tv is the problem. It will cost billions of naira to enter and still take years before you break even.

Also, broadcasts rights to football games are prohibitive. What do you think sustains Mikel's 80,000 a week salary? Its certainly not entrance fees.

Added to that is the high cost of credit ie 25%. That's what ran those guys out of business
pls what's the link btw football broadcast rights & players wages?
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Muyiii(m): 8:59am On Jan 15, 2016
Dee60:

Someone has said that blacks do not think far! We are now seeking to kill the Africa Rennaisance project. African nations are jostling to give their economies to crooked partners. Take DSTV and MTN - do you know how many Nigerians are gainfuly employed, well trained and equipped by these companies? Go to any chinese firms and you'll likely see that Nigerians are only used as labourers, cooks, mai guard and drivers. When will Africa rise, when will we start thinking?

As one former head of state once said, the political elite are Nigeria's number one problem. It is really obvious and they themselves know it.

You've said it all and I'm impressed. As much as most Nigerians don't really like South Africans because of their acts ....Hey I'm in South Africa, I was offered a PhD admission early last year (Tuition free) and just last December I was offered a job also as a part-time lecturer in my school. How often does these happen in our own country? We don't need hostile policies or bills. Thanks Bro...you nailed it.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 123papas(m): 8:59am On Jan 15, 2016
was there monopoly before? how?

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Kay17: 8:59am On Jan 15, 2016
What I see so far is flowery colourful and general language glossed over the details. The Bill is actually vague on what it intends to do that the other posters are left to guess it's contents and effects.

My fear is these people might create legal atmosphere hostile even to startups and possible competitors. And antitrust legislations are intensely complex that cover the entire economy. With the ease in which the bill sails through it's stages and it's vague aims, I am afraid not much preparation and research was carried out.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by seenter84: 9:18am On Jan 15, 2016
Very good. I'm going to america to bring my own competitors. Enough of dstv direct scams
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by bayulll01(m): 9:18am On Jan 15, 2016
Dotng:
Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

A bill meant to make broadcasting more competitive in the country was passed through second reading in the House of Representatives Thursday.

The bill sponsored by

http://thenationonlineng.net/reps-pass-bill-to-break-monopoly-of-dstv/

I have mention this time without number Nigeria leaders are the most silly,pathetic,and useless in the history of mankind,so they are aware with the way dstv treat Nigerians ,the impunity the way they treat us in our land,they just decides to wake up and do what a sane human beings suppose to do to protect his citizen,God will help them,can't wait to leave this country,some silly people will defends those that put you in crises daily

I have
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by joseph1832(m): 9:20am On Jan 15, 2016
This bill should be quickly pass into law. I am really sick and tired of the nonsense DsTv is doing.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 15, 2016
Dio1:

That's more expensive go and do your research

No its not.

I use it.

I'm the Head of IT of a 4 star hotel.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by HonChidon(m): 9:35am On Jan 15, 2016
It is a good bill and it ill also favour d populace in d sense dat one can only subscribe for his or her favourite channels and watch Dem only wen u on ur decoder.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by yommys01(m): 9:35am On Jan 15, 2016
Dio1:

You pay for unlimited broadband Internet.
I'm guessing spectranet isn't broadband.
Spectranet and all the internet services providers we have in Nigeria are hyped up dial-up.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Sibrah: 9:45am On Jan 15, 2016
Black man with his mental handicap will always prove a hard thing to overcome. There is no monopoly anywhere. DSTV lost the right to transmit EPL for 3 Years after one of such cry of ignorance in time past but regained it due to competitiveness. Let HiTV go improve. They were busy analysing EPL like Nwanyanwu National vs Wikki Tourist.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ipreach: 9:45am On Jan 15, 2016
Good
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Onegai(f): 9:59am On Jan 15, 2016
grandstar:
The high cost of entry into cable tv is the problem. It will cost billions of naira to enter and still take years before you break even.

Also, broadcasts rights to football games are prohibitive. What do you think sustains Mikel's 80,000 a week salary? Its certainly not entrance fees.

Added to that is the high cost of credit ie 25%. That's what ran those guys out of business

No-one in the right minds takes a loan from Nigerian banks. They have other ways to source for loans, they just don't broadcast it. And yes, I mean they get proper investments and loans. There are people in Nigeria who handle venture capitalism for foreigners and Nigerians with deep pockets. And international loans exist.

TV licenses is a long-term business. If you're hoping to breakthrough in less than 5-10 years, wrong business for you.

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by emeka2847: 9:59am On Jan 15, 2016
We are waiting for the effect
Dotng:
Reps pass bill to break monopoly of DSTV

A bill meant to make broadcasting more competitive in the country was passed through second reading in the House of Representatives Thursday.

The bill sponsored by Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Nnena Elendu- Ukeje is titled ” a bill for an Act to amend the National Broadcast Commission Act cap N11, laws of the federation of Nigeria, 2014, to provide for competition in Nigeria, promote efficiency and Expand opportunities for Nigerians’ participation in world markets while at the same time recognize the role of foreign completion in Nigeria, and for other matters related thereto.”

Elendu- Ukeje while speaking on the bill said it is meant to strengthen the National Broadcast Commission as an independent regulator.

According to her, the bill will also create room for competition through deregulation, liberalization, privatization, ensuring free market operation and also enforce penalty(s) to parties that go against the provisions of the law.

The piece of legislation, she said, will prevent price or rate fixing, price discrimination , restrictive exclusive content, abuse of dominant market position, and unconstitutional boycotting.

The proposed law, she said, is a remedy to the obvious lacuna in the NBC Act and strengthens the NBC as Nigeria has no set of codified laws that speaks to the subject matter.

Her words: “this is one sector that does not suffer from customer ignorance as this sector has been subject to motions/ petitions on the floor of parliament and litigations in the court of law.

“Justice Chukwujeku Aneke of the a federal High Court had on May 28th 2015 dismissed a suit against DSTV over increase in subscription fees as Nigeria is yet to have a codified set of rules promoting competition in that market.

“Competition laws exist under different names in different climes. From antitrust law in the US to anti monopoly laws in China and Russia, and Trade law in the UK and Australia, the underlying factor for these laws us consumer protection.”

According to her, Fourth Schedule, Section 39(1) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria states expressly that every person shall be entitled to own, establish and operate any medium for the dissemination of information.

She said the institution went further in Section 16(2c) that “the state shall direct its policy towards ensuring that the economic system is not operated in such a manner as to permit the concentration of wealth or the means of production and exchange in the hands of few individuals or groups.

“The intendment of these two provisions is that by liberalizing communication and media, that the sector be competitive in line with our economic policies.”

The bill passed through second reading without debate when the Speaker, Hon. Yakubu Dogara called for a voice vote.

http://thenationonlineng.net/reps-pass-bill-to-break-monopoly-of-dstv/
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ojasy: 9:59am On Jan 15, 2016
I just hope dey can do a reasonable thing abt it
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Abee79(m): 10:01am On Jan 15, 2016
Team Startimes cool
*been hating on dstv since 1347

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija - Mercy And Gedoni Spark Off New Romance In The House / Esther Told Frodd They Can't Date On BBNaija / DSTV Price Hike: Five Alternatives Nigerians Are Opting For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.