Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,001 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading (44379 Views)

TSTV'S Goliath Challenge Of DSTV / TSTV Africa Decoder Gives 10x More Of Dstv, Gotv, And Starttime / DSTV Monopoly Is Up Pay As You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tyav7: 10:05am On Jan 15, 2016
Above all, let them be compelled to introduce PAY AS YOU WATCH
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Ayomidegbenga1(m): 10:18am On Jan 15, 2016
wordcat:
Laughing but don't even know why I'm laughing

Osogbon weeds is just reacting in your system...so continue to laugh
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Olasam12(m): 10:20am On Jan 15, 2016
Hope they will do the needful by passing it into law in time.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by jacoik(m): 10:21am On Jan 15, 2016
wordcat:
Laughing but don't even know why I'm laughing
because u r juz bn discharged from yabaleft. even ur name self confirm so. wordcat
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by lonelydora: 10:21am On Jan 15, 2016
Vision4God:
I don't even use dstv.

Dstv is just over-rated.

Guy, you are missing. Person wey no know person dey call am "my friend".

I support this bill though
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by talktimi(m): 10:32am On Jan 15, 2016
tonychristopher:

[s]You have reasoned like your people ...I just don't get it
..how can a man think this way ..you will kill your own to buy another man own

We just can't develop with this mentality

Sometimes I feel that I he biafrans are right ....how can one stay in the same country with people of your mindset

No patriotism... Always enjoying foriegn things and having no believe in yourself

What is it that dstv do that Nigerians can't do ?[/s]
where do I even want to start in replying you sef because you've started out as a tribal bigot. YES I'm a proud Ijaw man lets get that out of the way so if I think like my people, it's my own prerogative. If you utilized your thinking facility you would have deduced that placed all blame at the feet of the NBC who haven't been living up to their responsibilities. When you leave your doors open, you have no one to blame if you're robbed. Until the NBC sits up, there're other options to use.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by talktimi(m): 10:46am On Jan 15, 2016
Dee60:

South Africa is wise enough to 'support' their own companies like DSTV and MTN to take the continent. Nigeria as a nation hardly supports anyone. Read the words carefully - the bill will only give room to enforce penalties. The reps want to reap where they have not sown. If they mean well, I guess they should be looking at how to provide the needed capital to support the Nigerian initiative. There is really no monopoly there today. StarTimes is chinese, DSTV is South African. If you pull down the South Africans, the Chinese will take over. We are going round in circles. The parliament is not shedding the pulldown mentality. Where is the PIB? Where are those other cogent and urgent bills? Who cares about DSTV?
thank you very much, you have sense. Nigerians have forgotten so quickly about HITV and how he crumbled his business (allegedly with lavish expenses) within just a very few years. We Nigerians are not serious with business and our regulators also are not serious with business and protecting us. Maybe its because of the kickbacks they receive from the foreigners
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by tonychristopher: 11:02am On Jan 15, 2016
talktimi:
where do I even want to start in replying you sef because you've started out as a tribal bigot. YES I'm a proud Ijaw man lets get that out of the way so if I think like my people, it's my own prerogative. If you utilized your thinking facility you would have deduced that placed all blame at the feet of the NBC who haven't been living up to their responsibilities. When you leave your doors open, you have no one to blame if you're robbed. Until the NBC sits up, there're other options to use.

How do you mean ....was is not that same drunkard of Jonathan that saw these dstv ripping us off
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Chukzyfcb(m): 11:33am On Jan 15, 2016
Rubbish! You want to introduce anti_monopoly thru laws? Are we not in a free market system? Competition will break DSTV's monopoly, not some silly ban. Moreover, who are those mentioning the price of subscription in benin , saying its cheaper than in Nigeria. Do you know the cost of running business in nigeria? Although manufacturing isn't closely related to this, but here is what the president of manufacturing association in nigeria said on tv "The cost of manufcturing in nigeria is two times the cost of what you'll get in ghana & 9times the cost of what you'll get in china".....this should give you an idea of how costly it is to do business here! ........little wonder, richard brandson (owner of virgin atlantic) said sometime he would never do business with nigeria because of how our so called regulators were always Milking him!
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Trunaijian: 11:43am On Jan 15, 2016
Yomieluv:
Is passing a bill the solution,or other companies should emerge to break the monopoly.
the bill will break open the "exclusive restrictive content" clause in broadcasting. Meaning companies like Multi-choice will not have the exclusive rights to air particular programs in Nigeria ie premier league.remember hi-tv faught that right but weren't able to sustain it.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by mart2k(m): 12:00pm On Jan 15, 2016
Fed govt shld just find one excuse n chase them out of d country. Uselesss Dstv
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by suduji: 12:36pm On Jan 15, 2016
this is a welcomed devt as long as it will bring abt the needed change in that sector...
1.Dstv is not the problem but their competitors like startimes and co who have failed to introduce better packages to rival dstv.
2.just as the entry of glo into the nigeria telecom industry brought abt massive reduction n changes in dat sector due to competition,it is the same thing that will happen if a viable option is introduced.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by omotaio: 12:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
rubbish Una no break dangote monopoly na dstv own Una wan break ...shior
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 15, 2016
yommys01:
Thats not the problem. The problem is the amount of money needed to enter the market. While DSTV can afford to take a loan from SA for as little as 5% interest, here is it between 15% and above.

Also, DSTV needs to be forced to reduce their price. I am Beninose/Nigeria, I lived in Benin for 6 months last 4 years, they pay less than 5,000 whereas I pay 14k here. Who has the bigger market? Nigeria or Benin?

Afternoon. Some good points there....especially about the loans things (which have a lot to do with the fact that in this country,people do not pay their loans at all. It is risky to be a banker in Nigeria....which is why Soludo forced them to bulk up in 2008,so to speak).

Re: the N5000 in Benin vs N14000 in Nigeria....is it for the same bouquet? Here in Nigeria....there are DSTV bouquets that cost less than N5000(dstv access and dstv family,which cost N1800 and N3600 respectively).
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Duru009(m): 1:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
DSTV monopoly can never be broken until we have viable competitors.

we don't even have competitors in that sector.Until Nigeria have a viable cable company in the near future. DSTV will still dominate the sector for years to come.

I just dey laugh ooo
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Bobplanner: 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
right step in the right direction. DSTV wan finish us.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Koolmexxi(m): 3:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
yommys01:
DSTV will never sell the rights to live coverages. They know that will kill them. Why will Ngerians go to DSTV direct when they can get it from Star times thats cheaper?

The sincere truth is the laws needs to be lessened for others. And in 2019 when the bidding is reopen for premier league rights, you will see DSTV won't have 100% regardless of whether the bill(s) is/are passed into law or not.

If Star Times can get the rights to the Bundesliga from DSTV, they can get part of the EPL rights from them as well.
U are simply misundertanding d bolded. Legislation or not, where's the competition Is it Startimes offering NTA and it's boring channels plus other free to air stations or Daarsat or Consat?? D only time Dstv had real competition was HiTv because the major edge dey have over the rest is d EPL.. D rights to air league matches isn't sold or given by the NBC or Senate, which is where foreign partnership comes in. These indigenous cable companies don't want to spend on their infrastructure but yet want to compete with DSTv dat has succeeded in spreading across Africa. Startimes is airing Bundesliga games because dey can afford to pay some foreign partners but considering dat the EPL is d major catch my point is why can't dey get into a joint partnership with an international rights holder like Skysports or even BEIN sports. Yes DSTv is ripping us all off but only because d competition is not serious with the sector. If u look at the channels on offer at startimes and d prices for the packages, U'ld realise u are paying to watch Free-to-Air stations.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by talktimi(m): 3:02pm On Jan 15, 2016
tonychristopher:

How do you mean ....was is not that same drunkard of Jonathan that saw these dstv ripping us off
your case is sorry, so its Goodluck that brought DSTV into Nigeria or he's in charge of the regulatory agencies ? You're the type that will fail English in WAEC and blame your biology teacher instead for not teaching you the English well. The source of this problem is the inept NBC
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Waleawojobi(m): 3:12pm On Jan 15, 2016
I believe that necessity is the mother of inventions. When I got fed up with paying 16300 for Dstv dual cos of my kids, I searched and discovered Metro Digital. They show all EPL, Champions Leagues and major Tennis matches live and have some nice kids channels all for N3500 a month. I used it all through last year. However I did the DSTV premium again for the Christmas hols and will soon be going back to my metro when DSTV expires. I don't think DSTV have monopoly of EPL in Nigeria but very good content.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Bbdot(m): 3:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
Is a welcome development dstv is too overated. am watching my epl evry week without paying dime ....... free to air rule
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2016
At last some dormant group of elected members of house of reps are trying to do something meaningful for the electorates.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by justmenoni: 4:09pm On Jan 15, 2016
I think the most important thing or bill in this context is to endure the network providers to provide unlimited Internet for Nigerians and this way dstv will be the ones begging Nigerians to subscribe and their prices will fall drastically cos everyone can use iptv
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by abubakaa(m): 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
ABUZINZU:
i disconect the decoder from the tv
bros..i'm serious abeg
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
abubakaa:
bros..i'm serious abeg
YH IM SERIOUS
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by vandalZA(m): 6:03pm On Jan 15, 2016
yommys01:
Your ignorances is shining through your posts.

Who owns gotv? Who owns the DSTV franchise in Nigeria not Multichoice? And you honestly believe DSTV is bigger than Star Times? DSTV owners are not half as rich as Star times owners only that the laws are limiting Star times.

Watch and see Star Times take some of the EPL right from Dstv when the bidding war is reopened next year.
LOLEST you should make some research before coming with stories of who is better than who. By the way you should google the entity by the name of NASPERS, then you'll see how big DSTV is..!
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by gannod(m): 7:37pm On Jan 15, 2016
MissingBudget:
God bless her. But in Aba we use MCL or PBS and pay #2,200 per month for all stations. I don't know why they're not in other states.

one of the reasons I miss Aba. With Mcl,you get the best of football,movies and wrestling.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by grandstar(m): 8:36pm On Jan 15, 2016
ColeworldMD:
pls what's the link btw football broadcast rights & players wages?

tv companies pay big money. to have sole. broadcasts rights of the matches on television.

For instance, sky and bt sport paid 5.14billion pounds too have the sole rights tp broadcast the premiership for 3 seasons.

So if you want to watch a premiership match on tv, you have to pay for sky subscription.

sky will now resell the rights to broadcast it in Africa to DSTV. That's why you need a DSTV subscription to watch these matches.

A large part of the billiins paid is sharedd amongst the premiership club based on their rankings.

So Leicester and Watford which are relative newcomerss could make massive sums if they remain top 10
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by ColeworldMD(m): 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
grandstar:

tv companies pay big money. to have sole. broadcasts rights of the matches on television.

For instance, sky and bt sport paid 5.14billion pounds too have the sole rights tp broadcast the premiership for 3 seasons.

So if you want to watch a premiership match on tv, you have to pay for sky subscription.

sky will now resell the rights to broadcast it in Africa to DSTV. That's why you need a DSTV subscription to watch these matches.

A large part of the billiins paid is sharedd amongst the premiership club based on their rankings.

So Leicester and Watford which are relative newcomerss could make massive sums if they remain top 10
oh well that's part of their revenue but not the main source of players wages.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by 14(m): 11:29pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dee60:

South Africa is wise enough to 'support' their own companies like DSTV and MTN to take the continent. Nigeria as a nation hardly supports anyone. Read the words carefully - the bill will only give room to enforce penalties. The reps want to reap where they have not sown. If they mean well, I guess they should be looking at how to provide the needed capital to support the Nigerian initiative. There is really no monopoly there today. StarTimes is chinese, DSTV is South African. If you pull down the South Africans, the Chinese will take over. We are going round in circles. The parliament is not shedding the pulldown mentality. Where is the PIB? Where are those other cogent and urgent bills? Who cares about DSTV?

People say startime is cheap, yes, its cheap because they dont have EPL. Let them get the rights and see when their prices shoot up. How are they gonna service the debt for those rights if they charge less. Do the maths before getting too excited.

And this new law, will it only apply to DStv alone or the rest of satelite companies? can other satelite tv companies survive if pay-per-view is introduced? People must take into consideration that africa is not like USA where 70% of the US population have excess to satelite tv, which makes it easier to have pay-per-view. In AFRICA! LESS than 5% have excess to satelite tv And the format they use, it very different from what is being proposed. In the USA, its pay-per-view for a particular match or boxing, just for only 2hrs. Its not based on channels. Go to the UK and see whether you will be able to watch the EPL on tv there, it is damn expensive, so few people can afford it. even in pubs, you wont find them having excess to EPL.
Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by grandstar(m): 11:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
ColeworldMD:
oh well that's part of their revenue but not the main source of players wages.

its the main source. Before Tv revenues became huge, players had second jobs

1 Like

Re: Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading by cocu25(m): 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
Kikero112:
There is no monopoly by DSTV.

The problem is....DSTV's would be competitors ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Take HITV. When it came into the market, most Nigerians were happy. But HITV's bouquet was scanty compared to DSTV.....plus they made the mistake of thinking that Nigerians got cable satellite TV for the football.

While HITV focused on football....DSTV upped their game by improving their content drastically.

Guess who won at the end?

The Senate should stop passing ridiculous bills. Unless they want to pass a bill that would force Nigerian companies to actually do some critical thinking.
Lie mohammed has made us all watchful of stupid journalism.
Know ur facts. Exclusiveness and premium payment ( without pay perview) is a crime

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija - Mercy And Gedoni Spark Off New Romance In The House / Esther Told Frodd They Can't Date On BBNaija / DSTV Price Hike: Five Alternatives Nigerians Are Opting For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.