Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech (35485 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is An Ojukwu, An Nzeogwu And An Azikiwe All Rolled Into One' - FFK / Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 / The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jan 15, 2016
sukkot:
first gideon orkar and now nzeogwu ? walahi talahi every igbo man needs to be flogged for being a potential coupist undecided

I was thinking you an Adult untill now...is this SUKKOT shocked shocked shocked

So when did Gideon Orkar become an IGBO man undecided undecided undecided...na waooo we are in a mess in this country. But IGBOS shall prevail.

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
asha80:
nigeria's problem started way before this coup unless you guys have not read well about pre independence politicians and politics and also post independence scenario before the coup

Tonyebarcanista was born in the early 90s, he knows nothing

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Dindondin(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2016
Ugomba:
you should know that Truth is a Treason in Nigeria.
A truth spoken in a wrong manner is a treason.
I m so happy to be back from NL jail to educate you and your likes.
Let me boldly tell you that the Igbos made some costly mistakes during the time of Kaduna Nzeogwu & Ojukwu.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by tonychristopher: 2:09pm On Jan 15, 2016
copiescopy:

some sense and good point to take note of ..... @tonyebarcanista what do u concur to this ?

He won't concur he is bitter
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by tonychristopher: 2:11pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dindondin:
A truth spoken in a wrong manner is a treason.
I m so happy to be back from NL jail to educate you and your likes.
Let me boldly tell you that the Igbos made some costly mistakes during the time of Kaduna Nzeogwu & Ojukwu.

But at the end of the day ....we didn't regret that mistake ....nzeogwu was igbo and igbo has to watch his back

Is that a mistake
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by tonychristopher: 2:12pm On Jan 15, 2016
sukkot:
first gideon orkar and now nzeogwu ? walahi talahi every igbo man needs to be flogged for being a potential coupist undecided

What really happened to education

Okar ain't igbo PS

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Sheekau: 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
Sadly this speech is still much more relevant in todays Nigeria. God Help us. Sai Buhari Deliver Us.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by nkowaputa(m): 2:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
jayloms:
Oh wow! Fp already.

Well, this coup partly fueled the tribal hate we see in our society today.

I mean, how do you claim to be cleansing the society and execute leaders from a certain part of the society. Even though the intentions were good, it appeared different when it was eventually carried out.

Study Nigeria and you will come to believe that the North has the highest level of corruption in Nigerian government. Just run a check. You don't kill innocent people because you want to strike a balance.

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by sukkot: 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
GreatSE:

I was thinking you an Adult untill now...is this SUKKOT shocked shocked shocked

So when did Gideon Orkar become an IGBO man undecided undecided undecided...na waooo we are in a mess in this country. But IGBOS shall prevail.
grin grin wink
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Dindondin(m): 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
tonychristopher:

But at the end of the day ....we didn't regret that mistake ....nzeogwu was igbo and igbo has to watch his back

Is that a mistake
It was a fatal mistake!

If only Nzeogwu & his January boys had killed both Azikiwe & Orizu.

The Hausas/Fulanis have wrong almost every tribe in Nigeria with their animalistic character when their brains switch off. The shout about marginalizing the Igbos could v been corrected in a subtle way than the 1966 coup. What vexed me most was that some Yoruba VIPs lost their lives with Balewa & Ahmadu Bello. Shebi the Igbo's said its Hausa/Fulanis thats their enemy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 15, 2016
I feel this man meant well, but people around him derailed his mission, my late distant uncle include, may their soul rest in peace.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by nkowaputa(m): 2:30pm On Jan 15, 2016
Sunnyade01:
Kaduna Nzeagu should have arrested and prosecute the corrupt leaders that were asking for 10%.

Killing them was barbaric and an insult to the entire continent on the day the prime minister was hosting AU leaders (African presidents).

Buhari/Idiagbon government only detained and jailed corrupt politicians and today some people consider him a dicta.tor.

Ya he put Ekweme in kirikiri and Shehu under house arrest and that is justice.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by aishmuhd(f): 2:39pm On Jan 15, 2016
There are historical events I hate to read or remember and this is one if them.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by nkowaputa(m): 2:41pm On Jan 15, 2016
sukkot:
no wonder he has an uncanny resemblance to that nigga omenka. omenka is from benue too. but back to nzeogwu - he sounds like a principled man but his actions do not match his speech. he is a closet tribalist. he failed to kill any ndigbo leaders who happen to conveniently be out of town when he was killing the leaders from other regions. truth be told, he is just another tribalist. wink

You do not know your history. The reason is because Ojukwu who was to release troops from Abeokuta to carry out the killings in lagos, refused to release them. He argued that he will not take orders from a junior officer (Nzeogu). Ojukwu was the reason the coup had k-leg.

2 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by jayloms: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
nkowaputa:

Study Nigeria and you will come to believe that the North has the highest level of corruption in Nigerian government. Just run a check. You don't kill innocent people because you want to strike a balance.

Unbelievable! I don't suppose you're opining that the East and its leaders were corrupt-free as at then? Like I opined earlier, the intentions were good but it was poorly executed and as you know ACTIONS are what ppl judge not INTENTIONS, hence, the reason we saw a counter coup.

Today, each of those tribes cannot but give a suspicious look to one another whilst harbouring hate.

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by sukkot: 2:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
nkowaputa:

You do not know your history. The reason is because Ojukwu who was to release troops from Abeokuta to carry out the killings in lagos, refused to release them. He argued that he will not take orders from a junior officer (Nzeogu). Ojukwu was the reason the coup had k-leg.
and this same treasonous ojukwu is your hero ? it looks like he is the one who brought all the trouble igbos are having today on you. if he had released the men and they had killed the igbo leaders too then you will not be having these problems. so lets see, ojukwu sabotaged nzeogwu which in turn led to angry northerners taking revenge on ndigbo and then this same ojukwu tried to secede from nigeria because of bad igbo treatment when he is the one who caused it in the first place ? ojukwu needs to be exhumed from his grave and flogged

10 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Tripleclick(m): 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2016
sukkot:
ndi ara
slowpoke .. dare not quote me again
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by awoononi(m): 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2016
Brymo:
I admonished every NLander to go n read why we struck?
Please, do you have the ebook or have an idea of where I can get the hard copy? Who authored it?
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Mosh1: 2:58pm On Jan 15, 2016
RightBoo:

Yes he committed suicide. The world knows how the man shamefully took his own life when he got betrayed of plotting treason.
Ok,give us your own lies(version) how he commit suicide.One thing with lie is that if you don`t attack it,it will soon turn to true.

2 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by zimoni(f): 2:59pm On Jan 15, 2016
asha80:
nigeria's problem started way before this coup unless you guys have not read well about pre independence politicians and politics and also post independence scenario before the coup

Yet, Nnamdi Azikwe insisted on ONE NIGERIA

Right?

2 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by billbonesmd(m): 3:03pm On Jan 15, 2016
Yes, we understand exactly how it feels to have one' Brethren, elders, monarchs, committed atrocities.
It's terrible,

But do we continue warring?
305-1dollar today, just cos we can't keep it together..

If we can't be brothers, truly and genuinely, with trust and openness, the concept of Nigeria can never work, ever.

(quote author=ehemwhy post=42000142]
My uncle was part of the coup planners that failed to takeover Lagos alongside Ifeajuna .

Igbo officerss majorly planned the coup , it suCceded in the north with devastating effect, partly succeded in the west and did not have any effect in the EAST
An igbo officer benefited from the failed coup by becomming head of.State

If you were a northern military officer how would you feel ?

It is on record that Nzeogwu never supported the concept of Biafra , all he wanted was a one Nigeria .[/quote]
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Omotaday(m): 3:11pm On Jan 15, 2016
ourchoice:
The only person with accurate history of this coup and the imminent cause of the counter coup.

It was Ifeajuna that spoilt things for Nzeogwu and co. Ifeajuna out of love for his elderly cousin, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe who was then the president of Nigeria....leaked the coup info to Zik who fled Nigeria on medical leave grounds to avoid being killed.

If Ifeajuna had not leaked the info to Zik, Nnamdi Azikiwe would have been killed alongside Tafawa Belewa, etc and the northerners wouldn't have seen it as a tribal coup with eastern agenda.

Nzeogwu had good intentions with the coup...he hated corruption....hated Nnamdi Azikiwe, Tafawa Belewa and co for their corrupt ways and Islamic extremism traits.
This is not enought to justify the killings of one part of the country VIPs alone. Are you telling me Ahmadu bello, balewa and the rest does not have relatives or friends in the army to hint them about the coup? It means the coup is strictly Igboic . Notin less.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by asha80(m): 3:11pm On Jan 15, 2016
zimoni:

Yet, Nnamdi Azikwe insisted on ONE NIGERIA

Right?
that is beside the point..read your history well...same way Nigeria is almost a basket case yet some people want Nigeria to remain one at all costs

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Ladisage(m): 3:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
jayloms:
Oh wow! Fp already.

I mean, how do you claim to be cleansing the society and execute leaders from a certain part of the society. Even though the intentions were good, it appeared different when it was eventually carried out.

Sure I agree with you...
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by cyrilamx(m): 3:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
Ugomba:
If Nzeogwu is still alive, He would have been politically under South South as a Delta Igbo.
- He led the coup yet The South East Igbos did not deny him, He ran to them for help. It was part of what triggered the war.
- Had it been that the S.E Igbos denied Nzeogwu as being Igbo, it would have been Hausa/Fulani vs Anioma.
- Thats What You Call A Brother Standing Firmly by a Brother.
.. PROUDLY ANIOMA and DELTA IGBO.
I wonder how many comments here really captured what transpired that fateful day of the said coup which was the remote cause of the genocide cum fratricide war. Nzogwu, in the book why we struck by one of the coupist; major Adegboyega, was portrayed as an unbiased Nigerian, a very disciplined and religious Soldier. He was feared by both his superiors and juniors. He wanted the best for Nigeria. Nobody can based on the recent happenings in Nigeria fault the reason for the coup: 10 percent corruption, nepotism, ethnicity and the likes. Today, those corrupt politicians who were executed in the 1966 military putsch when compared with their successors, will be raised to the alter of sainthood. The aim of the coup was driven by nationalism, but Nzogwu was betrayed by those stationed in the eastern part of the country. Or how does one explain the hosting of an archbishop by Michael okpara; the premier of Eastern region who was one of those penciled down for elimination? Or the sudden trip outside the shore of Nigeria by the then president of Nigeria; Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe? From time immemorial, the igbos have always shot themselves on their feet in attempt to outsmart the rest of the country. Nobody will accept such blood-letting against his own when yours remain safe. Having seen his revolutionary dream crumbled before his very eyes, worst still crushed by a fellow igbo officer in the person of Ojukwu, he had no choice but surrendered to the federal govt. Taken to lagos and locked up. Even when the war broke up, Nzogwu had not publicly supported any side. It was after he was smuggled out of the heavily guarded prison by Ojukwu that he eventually fought for biafra. A sandhurst trained armoured personnel poacher, he was a loner. At the young age of 30 and still single and celibate, Nzogwu was killed by Federal troops in 1967. He was immediately flown to kaduna and given full military honour before interred. Which ever way one looks at it...Nzogwu was a victim of power play that characterize Nigeria as a political entity. There can never be a revolutionary, upright and disciplined like him.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by DerideGull(m): 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2016
Freemanan:

My dear countrymen, no citizen should have anything to fear, so long as that citizen is law abiding and if that citizen has religiously obeyed the native laws of the country and those set down in every heart and conscience since 1st October, 1960.

Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 per cent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds.

Like good soldiers we are not promising anything miraculous or spectacular. But what we do promise every law abiding citizen is freedom from fear and all forms of oppression, freedom from general inefficiency and freedom to live and strive in every field of human endeavour, both nationally and internationally. We promise that you will know more be ashamed to say that you are a Nigerian

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/50-yrs-after-january-15-1966-coup-excerpts-of-major-nzeogwus-coup-speech/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

Per the bolded, one of them is still alive in Nigeria and sits at the highest of all places. What a country!!

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by DerideGull(m): 3:22pm On Jan 15, 2016
jayloms:
Oh wow! Fp already.

It was not a round robin thing. The people with the same mind set such as you turned the coup into tribal bigotry hence Nigeria has remained a tribal melting point.
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by Ezemust: 3:32pm On Jan 15, 2016
jayloms:
Oh wow! Fp already.

yes.just like buhari corruption fight.good intension but one sided
Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by DiademSh07: 3:38pm On Jan 15, 2016
Ugomba:
If Nzeogwu is still alive, He would have been politically under South South as a Delta Igbo.
- He led the coup yet The South East Igbos did not deny him, He ran to them for help. It was part of what triggered the war.
- Had it been that the S.E Igbos denied Nzeogwu as being Igbo, it would have been Hausa/Fulani vs Anioma.
- Thats What You Call A Brother Standing Firmly by a Brother.
.. PROUDLY ANIOMA and DELTA IGBO.
LOL!
Nobody is disputing the fact that Aniocha/Oshimil are ibos though!
Hence, why the hullabaloo?
Ibo and dullness!

1 Like

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by DiademSh07: 3:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
Tycoflu:
Delta Igbo commit, South East Igbo dey suffer for am till now. Just wish SE never took him as theirs and treated him the way his people are treating and seeing us as frauds as they label us "Across the Niger person".
Wetin this one dey talk?
Do you think Nzeogwu was the only coupist? The fact still remain that majority of the coupist were ibos!
Get that stuck to your head!

2 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by DiademSh07: 3:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
RightBoo:

Also in the same hand,

Awolowo doesn't have the interest of the Yoruba's at heart. That's why he left you guys visionless and committed suicide, was it twenty naira poison?
At least he didn't lead 3mil of our people to the slaughter ground! 3mil of ibos just wiped off like that! LOL!
That's said, Awolowo's vision for Yorubaland is still the why you losers are trooping in droves to the southwest and getting your Eze flogged in Akure!
Pathetic losers!

3 Likes

Re: Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech by DiademSh07: 3:53pm On Jan 15, 2016
rigarmortis:

brother, read history well, the major factor that caused the war was when thousands of people were killed in the north for reasons they don't know anything about, they didn't demand for their own country until they felt they were unsafe in the old one.

picture this, someone, a military officer, from kogi whose name is bayo, kills a prince whose names is abu, now this led to a mass roit which was deliberately left unchecked where thousands of people who don't even know bayo gets killed with impunity, just because their name doesn't sound like abu.

they go home and demand they want to be on their own, that's the simplest cause of the war.

even murtala demanded that the north secede, if not for gowon who told him to calm down, after the first wave of killings, ojukwu called for the takeover of power by the most senior officer, I think his name was bamidele, the guy refused, another senior offcer from the west couldn't control soldiers from the north beneath him, who took orders from a captain of northern origin.

the next most senior was a naval guy from the west too, but murtala and co insisted that they must have the power otherwise they would secede, eventually the two most senior officers from the west relinquished their power and gowon became president , ojukwu however refused to recognise his power, plus as military governor of the east, his people, smarting from the brutal and senseless killings insisted that they wanted their own country.

the rest is history

consider the above before you apportion blames
Stale tales!
That still doesn't dispute the fact that Ibo killed every regional leaders except theirs and were mocking the North over the death of their kinsmen in Kaduna and Kano!
Who does that if not a stup!d goat that's already marked for death!
Yeye!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Your Incompetence Is Nauseating: Fani-Kayode Replies DHQ / Senator Dino Melaye Released From Arrest / Inibehe Effiong Released After One Month In Prison (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.