Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,182 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her (45571 Views)

Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / "I Am Still In Love With My Ex, But I Am Married To A Stranger" / Lady Justifies Why Her Dad Is Married To 6 Wives, Says He Is Too Cute (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Dcanio: 9:43pm On Jan 17, 2016
Bro I feel you...I feel you should let him know the truth because it will surely surface on the wedding day..th truth is bitter but that's the law of karma that's about to play
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Setaje(f): 9:44pm On Jan 17, 2016
Op nothing got me more than your personal text on your profile. Hmmmmmn embarassed

As for your story. Even my dad keeps singing the names of the people who ganged up against him in his office which lead to his early retirement all because................

Well, if our parents are enemies, should we the children also carry on?.

Sspeter. We offend God a lot and he forgives us. You have offended people too and they forgave u. The thing is the truth must be said. No matter the consequences. If your brother finds out later or after marriage , shebi na parents to parents fight. This one will become ancestral and generational fight o. Your brother must no but please you must not influence his decision. The earlier he knows the better.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by oshiozoha: 9:45pm On Jan 17, 2016
the sins of the father shall b inflicted on his children

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by DICKtator: 9:45pm On Jan 17, 2016
Marry into the family and watch the man suspect that y'all seeking avenue to get back the already gone property.
I doubt the girl's father know whom he is dealing with?

Sounds like a script from a movie.

10 years later...............

ACTION!!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by cold(m): 9:45pm On Jan 17, 2016
Let your brother know the truth and the family he is getting married into. You owe him that much. It's so easy for people to talk about forgiveness when they're not directly affected.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by mikki123(m): 9:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
Don't disobey your parents no matter what... Same time, you must say the truth. SAY THE TRUTH
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by oglalasioux(m): 9:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
Don't listen to people who tell you to forget this. Restore the dignity of your family. Do everything in your power to stop this marriage. Your family was insulted by this man. Don't take it lightly. Be a man.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by AreaFada2: 9:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
ladyF:
I think I support the OP. I would probably do the same if not worse if someone ever treated my family this way. A physical attack on my parents is synonymous with a personal attack on me. Your brother has to know at least, whether or not he decides to continue with the wedding is up to him, but he certainly has to know!!!
I can't watch you attack my own family and stay quiet for life. God himself will understand. angry

Very correct.

That family will also not hesitate to use their daughter to attack her husband in the future. It might be to divorce him and collect his property in America.

@ OP, How can the girl's parents even look your family eye to eye and form happy in-laws? shocked shocked

Children learn things from their parents. I won't risk marrying a girl from such a family.

She might appear "cool-headed" now, they usually are until marriage. Then they show their true colours.

Olorun maje.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Drfinn: 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
OP, I took the liberty of reading your post. And thanks for seeking advice/posting it on this forum for us to learn a lesson or two. I feel your pain. Time heals all wounds, but some scars linger to eternity.

I believe your brother deserve to know the truth. If you don't tell him, someday he may find out. Your parents may be long gone then but you will share in the blame. Keeping such a sensitive matter secret will cause more harm than good.

It's good your parents have forgiven, but the records should be set straight. Your brother has vowed to deal with the family that ruined your family's. Imagine him finding out years later that this same evil family is the one he married into? The trauma can only be imagined.

I believe you should present the matter in a matured way. Don't sound bitter and vengeful, just let him know this is the truth. It's up to him to make his decisions. A lie hidden even for a thousand years will see the light of truth someday.

Finally, I appeal you let go of all bitterness towards this family. It's not easy but you can if you make an effort. Forgiveness is divine. The greatest teacher of love admonished us to practice forgiveness.

NB : I don't really see it as an act of disobedience to your parents telling your brother. Your parents may have forgiven, but you, your brother and other siblings need to equally forgive then. Hence the necessity of telling your brother and other siblings. I believe you all suffered in one way or the other back then because of the callousness of that family.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by kunle75(m): 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
SSpeter:
I know this might not be totally right but at least it will make me feel great. Egbon wants to get married in march and automatically I will become the best Man. But I don't want him to get married to her. It is not because of her but the dad.

It all started back in 1998 my dad was having a court case with our supposed in-law over our house. The house was sold to my dad by the late late brother of our supposed in-law. That was even before my dad got married. We have lived in that house for more than 10yrs. My siblings and I were born there. After the death of the brother in 1998 he dragged my dad to court saying his brother was only a benefactor and does not have the legal right to sell the building and their late father made him the executor of His properties according to the late father's will. My parents were partners in business and their office was located at the ground floor of the building where we lived. Their goods were also stored there (plumbing equipment).

Prior to joining the plumbing business, my dad was into commercial inter-state transport services after suffering heavy losses he auctioned what was left and joined my mum in the plumbing business. A year later he was in court with our supposed in-law. The legal battle started in December. Egbon travelled with an aunt of mine who had won a visa lottery the previous year. My sisters were older than the guys. they were already in boarding school. I was the king of the house. My dad suffered many embarrassment at the hands of our supposed in-law. He dragged the case for some years money meant for business ended up in legal battles. My dad had to borrow to pay suppliers. He couldn't not order for new materials anymore and the business eventually collapsed. Extended families gave their support until 2003 when a lagos high court handed our supposed in-law victory undecided

My dad wanted to appeal the judgement but his lawyer told him to get an apartment with whatever he has left. Although my parents thought they hid everything from us. Perhaps my sisters didn't notice because they were not always home but I saw my mum cry severally. I saw the fears in my dad eyes. I listened to their whispering at night I knew we were doomed. Our supposed In-law sold the house to a bank. The bank gave two weeks to evacuate. But before the notice expired they brought sledge hammer and started destroying the building with our properties in it. My dad tried to protest but he was beaten and arrested. For the first time I saw our "Supposed In-law" that day ordering the boys to destroy everything. My dad was later released days after. I went to live with my cousins. My sisters also went to live with my other cousins.

In 2006 I wrote a mail to Egbon I narrated all that happened to him and he vowed he was going to ensure that they payed for it dearly. Few years later, I got admission into the university my parents embraced christ; But I still feel bitter. How time flies, my sisters are both married and it's just me preparing for the life of a bachelor; Until recently my brother told me his plans of getting married, I noticed it because he has visited us more than usual last year and had extensive discussions with my parents. But whenever He came back He still promised my dad that he will never forget all that happened. My dad told him that was in the past but I know what my brother was capable of doing as regards family.

He brought his supposed girl friend (I believe that is all she will ever be) to the house last christmas everyone welcomed her but immediately I set my eyes on her, she looked like the man that was giving orders to tear down our house. I asked her for her surname, when she said ****US, I knew she was the daughter of our long time enemy. When they left, my mum and dad begged me that I shouldn't say anything. That they have forgiven him. She invited my parents and I during the new year but I declined. I have also told my brother I can't be his best man. He thought am joking cos it was via mail. My brother had assured me severally whenever I told him what became of us after then that incident and he told me "I will give up anything to deal with the Man that messed with my family". I guess I will have to tell him the whole truth. But my parents keep calling me every single day to beg. "Saying I should not bring him misery. That they were happy he decided to bring home a cool headed lady".....But I just can't let it go. Unless my brother and I will decide not to be brothers anymore because I will never go to his house if he marries her. I will never associate myself with him or anything that has to do with him.

I have finished typing the truth I want to send the mail to him...I don't know why I am hesitating (I guess my parents will forgive me sooner or later) but he has to know the truth!!!!....i can't dine with my enemy!.....I don't want to see her dad face again....never...I hope am doing the right thing....i think I am.....perhaps I am...

In as much as i feel your pain i still feel that telling your brother will make much different except your destroying your brothers happiness.

Mind you we offend God and he is merciful to us how much more you mortal body.........please dont dwell too long on grudges it wunt lead you anywhere.But a bitter end

Look at this scenario,a situation where your son will end up marrying from same mans lineage,how about that ?

Let God fight your case and move on God bless you.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by SirLewis(m): 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
I was going to say tell him but if life can be so ironic as to bring your brother and the man's daughter together, I sure as hell know this won't be the end of the story. Don't be the one to open the Pandora's box, let life do that for him. Your story sounds too Africa Magic sha
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Leo001(m): 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
Op I don't always response to issues again in naira land. but the spirit of God say I should tell u that He is using ur brother to visit judgement on his suppose in law . obey ur parent,Believe me ur suppose in law will not live long due to heart attack.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by gqboyy(m): 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
I feel ur pain guy. Ur story brght tears to my eyes. but u shd 4get abt d past and thank God Almighty that made ur lyf better
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 17, 2016
myfantasies:
D girl dad is a heartless being

I can't allow my brother to get married to a lady whose dad has no sympathy, maybe d wickedness even runs in dere blood
May GOD bless u.
U just said my mind.
It's better u open the pandoras box.
A broken Relationship is always better than a Broken marriage.

What's the essence of asking about FAMILY HISTORY, when some people here see it as being Useless...?
I encourage such people to Marry the Daughter of a Harlot.
I can compromise when it comes to anything but not MARRIAGE and where I visit to worship GOD.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by akinsmyk(m): 9:50pm On Jan 17, 2016
SETHWORLD:
Have u ever come across the word FORGIVENESS? Its had but when you see that your family has moved on from what happened,you should do same. God is the only judge,whatever a man sows that is what he shall reap. Think wisely and not selfish-ly

See people talking about forgiveness like its a free air. Even God does not forgive for free, you have to confess, show remorse for your wrong and repent before you can get it. Even at times, God might forgive you but you will still be punished for your wrong doing

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by alfajohn: 9:51pm On Jan 17, 2016
Your moniker is like that of a believer. So I assume u are one. Jesus says love ur enemies, it is difficult to achieve that, but it is possible. If that is not achievable, the barest minimum is hate no one. Hate distroys the heart it inhabits. Don't distroy yourself. Let bygone be bygone. God almighty is God of vengeance. Leave vengeance to him. Move on life is about the future, don't wallow in the past. What you said happened is painful, but you don't have the whole facts. After all the supposed culprit used the instrument of law, so he might even be right. Enough said. Let he who has ears heed an humble advise.

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:52pm On Jan 17, 2016
zukko:
kul..let her father feel the pain that his daughter did not get marride to her dream man because of his selfishness and wickedness
feel which pain? Like she won't move on if he leaves. The op is over-reacting. In a legal battle, there is always a winner and a loser. Apparently, the girl's family was right and the op's family has been duped by the girl's uncle. Once a judgement has been given by the court, the sane thing to do first is to obey even before appealing for any other thing; if they had moved out before the expiry of the time given, they won't have been forcefully evicted.
Dear Op, you are getting overtly emotional. Ruining their relationship is not the end of the world and they will both live. Don't be surprised your brother will be at the losing end. Your parents have moved on perhaps because they know there is little or nothing they can do against the law, you should move on too. What I dont understand is the entitlement right you feel you have towards your big bro's life and relationship and why you feel you're paying back the girl's dad by destroying her relationship.. undecided you may just be an answer to the prayer of a major toaster if you make ur bro leave. Life will def go on.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by AhmedInusa: 9:52pm On Jan 17, 2016
Dial *409*0*PDP# to confirm
if you are not on Dasuki's list,
its free
....Prevention is better than
cure.. Thank God I'm not in d
list.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by zelaws: 9:54pm On Jan 17, 2016
There is a saying in Yoruba that 'you don't marry the man/lady but the family'. It is also important there is a knowledge of the family history according to the real Yoruba culture before marriage. All that we say are not applicable in our modern life anymore. In this case they are. Your brother need to know the truth. So that he won't blame anyone for whatever happen when he gets to know after the marriage. He may choose to go ahead or not with the marriage as the decision of spending the remaining of his years on earth with her is for him to make and of course not yours. Your informing him I don't think it's a revenge but a responsibility. Your parents need to inform him and too and not pretend that all is well. If they feel they have forgiven really they should be able to say without pretence.
If I may ask have you guys gone to the bride's family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by yommen: 9:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
I support you send the message. Your brother deserves to know the kind of family he is dealing with. For God's sake, how can people advise him not to tell his brother about such? Is he going to keep the truth away from his blood brother all his life? Please, press the send button now. If your brother now decides to still go ahead with the wedding, then you are free from blame resulting from any occurrence in the future.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Badgers14: 9:55pm On Jan 17, 2016
SSpeter:
I know this might not be totally right but at least it will make me feel great. Egbon wants to get married in march and automatically I will become the best Man. But I don't want him to get married to her. It is not because of her but the dad.

It all started back in 1998 my dad was having a court case with our supposed in-law over our house. The house was sold to my dad by the late late brother of our supposed in-law. That was even before my dad got married. We have lived in that house for more than 10yrs. My siblings and I were born there. After the death of the brother in 1998 he dragged my dad to court saying his brother was only a benefactor and does not have the legal right to sell the building and their late father made him the executor of His properties according to the late father's will. My parents were partners in business and their office was located at the ground floor of the building where we lived. Their goods were also stored there (plumbing equipment).

Prior to joining the plumbing business, my dad was into commercial inter-state transport services after suffering heavy losses he auctioned what was left and joined my mum in the plumbing business. A year later he was in court with our supposed in-law. The legal battle started in December. Egbon travelled with an aunt of mine who had won a visa lottery the previous year. My sisters were older than the guys. they were already in boarding school. I was the king of the house. My dad suffered many embarrassment at the hands of our supposed in-law. He dragged the case for some years money meant for business ended up in legal battles. My dad had to borrow to pay suppliers. He couldn't not order for new materials anymore and the business eventually collapsed. Extended families gave their support until 2003 when a lagos high court handed our supposed in-law victory undecided

My dad wanted to appeal the judgement but his lawyer told him to get an apartment with whatever he has left. Although my parents thought they hid everything from us. Perhaps my sisters didn't notice because they were not always home but I saw my mum cry severally. I saw the fears in my dad eyes. I listened to their whispering at night I knew we were doomed. Our supposed In-law sold the house to a bank. The bank gave two weeks to evacuate. But before the notice expired they brought sledge hammer and started destroying the building with our properties in it. My dad tried to protest but he was beaten and arrested. For the first time I saw our "Supposed In-law" that day ordering the boys to destroy everything. My dad was later released days after. I went to live with my cousins. My sisters also went to live with my other cousins.

In 2006 I wrote a mail to Egbon I narrated all that happened to him and he vowed he was going to ensure that they payed for it dearly. Few years later, I got admission into the university my parents embraced christ; But I still feel bitter. How time flies, my sisters are both married and it's just me preparing for the life of a bachelor; Until recently my brother told me his plans of getting married, I noticed it because he has visited us more than usual last year and had extensive discussions with my parents. But whenever He came back He still promised my dad that he will never forget all that happened. My dad told him that was in the past but I know what my brother was capable of doing as regards family.

He brought his supposed girl friend (I believe that is all she will ever be) to the house last christmas everyone welcomed her but immediately I set my eyes on her, she looked like the man that was giving orders to tear down our house. I asked her for her surname, when she said ****US, I knew she was the daughter of our long time enemy. When they left, my mum and dad begged me that I shouldn't say anything. That they have forgiven him. She invited my parents and I during the new year but I declined. I have also told my brother I can't be his best man. He thought am joking cos it was via mail. My brother had assured me severally whenever I told him what became of us after then that incident and he told me "I will give up anything to deal with the Man that messed with my family". I guess I will have to tell him the whole truth. But my parents keep calling me every single day to beg. "Saying I should not bring him misery. That they were happy he decided to bring home a cool headed lady".....But I just can't let it go. Unless my brother and I will decide not to be brothers anymore because I will never go to his house if he marries her. I will never associate myself with him or anything that has to do with him.

I have finished typing the truth I want to send the mail to him...I don't know why I am hesitating (I guess my parents will forgive me sooner or later) but he has to know the truth!!!!....i can't dine with my enemy!.....I don't want to see her dad face again....never...I hope am doing the right thing....i think I am.....perhaps I am...

Tell your brother the truth, if he decides to continue that's his business...
But do tell him to free your conscience.... Here's the thing.. There's nothing hidden under the sun, he will eventually know sooner or later..
Cheers!!
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
ladyF:
I think I support the OP. I would probably do the same if not worse if someone ever treated my family this way. A physical attack on my parents is synonymous with a personal attack on me. Your brother has to know at least, whether or not he decides to continue with the wedding is up to him, but he certainly has to know!!!

I can't watch you attack my own family and stay quiet for life. God himself will understand. angry

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
sickstars:
May God almighty forgive all of u

cry its ur turn to laugh and make jest now but certainly d mockery wont last for long and u are not God cry

I brought dis upon mysef i wil b fine
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Boeing777pilot: 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
Confucius said when planning for revenge, dig two Graves.

Forgive and continue with your life.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by AreaFada2: 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2016
oglalasioux:
Don't listen to people who tell you to forget this. Restore the dignity of your family. Do everything in your power to stop this marriage. Your family was insulted by this man. Don't take it lightly. Be a man.

Stopping the marriage is not his business.

BUT... his Egbon needs to know the whole truth.

Imagine a scenario where 5 or 10 years later, the girl's parents make her to deal mercilessly with his Egbon.

And then the OP now comes out with all he knows about his in-laws.

Would that not be "betraying" Egbon on such a crucial life matter like marriage??

2 Likes

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by dapsonlou(m): 9:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
Tell him, let him know the kind of family he's marrying into.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by akinus(m): 9:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
SSpeter:
I am can never be God. I don't want any of those memories......My brother should know the truth. He deserves the truth!.....i can't be part of a family with a man that nearly ruined my family

bro, you have to tell your brother before its to late, but if you dont tell him and he is married nd he finds out he may choose to destroy d marriage. But if you tell him now, not to destroy there relationship but to let him know that the man he promise to get one day is going to be his inlaw, he will choose what he want, maybe to continue. But you dont have choice to make for your brother. Mind you, if he says he want to marry her like that you must accept, but let him know the truth.
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by Panzerfaust(m): 9:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
IamLEGEND1:
Ruin their relationship.

We dey ur back.
End time advice. grin
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by selfmadeOLX(m): 9:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
If I say I understand how you feel.. I am a liar
Because I haven't been in such delima

But the little I know is

An eye for an eye doesn’t work..!
Forgive them. Not because they deserve it but because you want peace..!

Sooner or later, your brother will still find out and it's worse and more disheartening to find out from a third party agent rather than from his family.

Forward the mail to him.. Not a mail of revenge oo

Your brother will man-up and face the situation..!
And when love conquers all, your brother too will forgive and forget and everyone goes home happy grin grin cool

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by hottadiva(f): 9:59pm On Jan 17, 2016
@op- maybe you should pause and think of how that of all the girls in the world, it had to be her that your brother met. trust me, God has a purpose for this. let go and let God
Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by goodlifehyd(m): 9:59pm On Jan 17, 2016
zukko:
kul..let her father feel the pain that his daughter did not get marride to her dream man because of his selfishness and wickedness
God bless you, e dey vex me like say na me e happen to self... Let the man watch his daughter cry and maybe commit suicide cuz of his greediness and his inhuman behavior to another man cuz of money

1 Like

Re: Why I Don't Want My Brother To Get Married To Her by zeezy1: 10:01pm On Jan 17, 2016
Her family is a long time enemy. Its better yur bro knw now and make his decision. If he is aware of it after the marriage, the situation might be worse. So, if I were you, I will surely tell him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Transferred All My Salary To My Husband- Nigerian Lady / 24years Jessica Edionwele Found!!! / He Did Something An Adult Wouldn't Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.