Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God (5908 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Conquering Marine Spirits. / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by nferyn(m): 9:49pm On Nov 16, 2005
tolutope:

nferyn.. i aint a fanatic and im sorry for what the catholic did to u.. likewise to u all who have 1 grievance or the other.. .. just because God or watever u call him gave u more hardknocks than happy life doesnt mean he aint real...
Luckily this didn't happen to me personally. It did cause my parents to turn away from their childhood religion and because of this, I have never been really exposed to the God concept before my teens. Monotheistic religions (be they Judaism, Christianity or Islam) just don't make sense to me at all.

tolutope:

surprisingly even scholars will tell u that the bible is d most accurate and common sensed book they have ever come across... no mattter your ideolgy or outlook in life u can always find that it was stated in the book way before u could claim it was said 1st by whoever.....
If you think that is true, then you really need to update your knowledge of church history and especially the process by which the Bible was edited.

tolutope:

and who has ever followed the book to the letter and have not ended up being famous for one unique xter or the other they possessed?abraham lincoln 4 example.my aim of bringing up this thread is to find out how many people think humans or this life is just a passing phase where u just play your part.. or it was part of a particular plan that has an end.by something or someone out there?
I don't think life is a passing phase. It's the only phase we have. I don't think there is a plan or purpouse to this life, but rather that there is only meaning where the individual wants to find it. There is no master plan.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by tolutope(m): 8:25pm On Nov 17, 2005
nferyn:

Luckily this didn't happen to me personally. It did cause my parents to turn away from their childhood religion and because of this, I have never been really exposed to the God concept before my teens. Monotheistic religions (be they Judaism, Christianity or Islam) just don't make sense to me at all.
If you think that is true, then you really need to update your knowledge of church history and especially the process by which the Bible was edited.
I don't think life is a passing phase. It's the only phase we have. I don't think there is a plan or purpouse to this life, but rather that there is only meaning where the individual wants to find it. There is no master plan.
so in a nutshell we aren't created? or is there nothing more to this life and world than what it is now?buddhism is like yoga.. an exercise to clear the mind and when u talk of ur mind . then u talk of soul when u talk of soul.. u talk of spirit.. wat is spirit?.. if God is a spirit then why do we say he doesnt exist? buddha is a god not a human.. wat is a god? spirit.. are u gettin my point?.... so if we say there are spirits then its possible that God exist.. or wat do u think nferyn, goodguy.. eveyone .....?
look it aint easy discussing spiritual things but we can do it logically...and with common sense.. which aint really common.. wink
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by nferyn(m): 9:22pm On Nov 17, 2005
tolutope:

so in a nutshell we aren't created? or is there nothing more to this life and world than what it is now?
That's my opinion and it is supported by mountains of evidence. There is nothing in this world that makes me believe there is something supernatural. All that has been ascribed to the supernatural in the past has been brought back to natural causes. The mind (or spirit) can be located in the brain. We have not yet discovered how all things work exactly, but give it time and we will.

tolutope:

buddhism is like yoga.. an exercise to clear the mind and when u talk of your mind . then u talk of soul when u talk of soul.. u talk of spirit.. what is spirit?.. if God is a spirit then why do we say he doesnt exist? buddha is a god not a human.. what is a god? spirit.. are u gettin my point?.... so if we say there are spirits then its possible that God exist.. or what do u think nferyn, goodguy.. eveyone .....?
I'm not a Buddhist, but I like the Buddhist approach to spirituality and I use their meditation techniques to clear my mind and to feel connected to the world.
Buddhists believe in reincarnation and afterlife (Nirvana), I don't.

tolutope:

look it aint easy discussing spiritual things but we can do it logically...and with common sense.. which aint really common.. wink
The moment you try to put logic or evidence into the whole thing, God is reduced to nearly zero or to the prime force that started the universe, but is no longer involved in it.
The divine rests on faith, i.e. belief without evidence. I cannot bring myself to do that.
A physicist I know once told me that God, for him, can be described as the unifying theory in physics. The one formula that combines all the known forces (weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, ...). Now, that was waay over my head, but it proves that people find spirituality in different things.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by goodguy(m): 12:05am On Nov 18, 2005
Nferyn, there was a case of a boy who was born with Islamic writings on his forehead here in Nigeria. What do you have to say to that? (I don't know what has become of him now anyway).
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by nferyn(m): 12:05pm On Nov 18, 2005
goodguy:

Nferyn, there was a case of a boy who was born with Islamic writings on his forehead here in Nigeria. What do you have to say to that? (I don't know what has become of him now anyway).

Nothing. There is an off chance that something like that happens (more than 6 billion people on this planet, don't forget), but it is more likely a fraud. Was there independent verification of the fact?
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by goodguy(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2005
I really don't know. I only asked the question to hear ur opinion abt it.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by nferyn(m): 12:28pm On Nov 18, 2005
goodguy:

I really don't know. I only asked the question to hear your opinion about it.
It's just that I don't like to take things at face value. What are the motivations, what are the circumstances, what is the context?

The more incredible an event, the higher the burden of proof becomes. After careful investigation, 99% of all these cases prove to be frauds. The remaining 1% is just pure coincidence.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by macalurs(m): 10:35pm On Nov 19, 2006
The one reason I detest religion is it's attempt to shift responsibility, and claim "devil caused it" or someother "spirit" caused it.

After I went through a study of multiple-personality-disorders in one of my psych classes, and after seeing what the brain is capable of, I'm massively skeptical of the witch-craft phenomenon. After studying about pathological liars, and the logic their brains create (that a lie is not a lie if it is believed to be true), I don't doubt that men could come up with something extremely crappy, and get ready to die for it.

Being a pastor's son, I was exposed to the supposed "witch-craft attacks" first hand. I don't exactly understand this, but sometimes stray cats meow funny at night, sometimes chase each other, maybe one's in heat or something. Those funny meows cause my parents goose pimples and in the dead of the night we begin to pray, the next day we fast, "The forces of darkness are close-by!!". It's just funny the way we play tricks on ourselves sometimes.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by holythug(m): 8:43am On Feb 02, 2008
if u blive in jinns & demons, den bliv in witchcraft. . .cos it exist
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by dafidixone(m): 12:55pm On Feb 02, 2008
Because those people that are buying the body parts and using them in rituals also think the spirits are real. The priests are criminals and they have no qualms about kiling innocent people just to make their clients believe that what they are doing is real.

grin grin grin
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by holythug(m): 3:47pm On Feb 02, 2008
evil exist
spirits exist
evil spirits exist

grin grin grin
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by kenypumpin: 12:53pm On Feb 07, 2008
let me tell you witch craft exist
evil spirit exist as well,it is better u no it now b4 it is too late.holy thug i agree wit you bigtime
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by Lady2(f): 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2008
@Seun, Exu, WesleyanA, and others who agree with them

I certainly hope u don't encounter what I did.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by Lady2(f): 8:49pm On Feb 08, 2008
@nferyn

hey I would like to know what the Catholic church did to ur parents, or rather what someone who represented the catholic church did to u.

I want to apologise ahead though.
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by globalman: 6:12pm On Jul 11, 2008
there is no such thing, about evoultion, that false, sorry to tell you, the real evidence is the holy bible, God created everything on earth, but anyway, witchcraft does exist in many party of the country, even in america, thwere are things happen, that the news media or newspaper don,t even mention, read the Bible and observe things around you
Re: Some People Believe in Evil Spirits Yet Don't Believe in God by donnie(m): 11:56am On Jul 12, 2008
Of course evil spirits exist; and so does witchcraft. However the bible refers to witchcraft as a work of the flesh -Galatians 5:20.

Apart from that, i have come in contact with some witches and even seen their work demonstrated.

This however doesn't warrant the undue attention they are given these days in some quarters, even within Christianity.

They are of a lesser breed and stand the risk of having their wings clipped and their work frustrated by any Christian who knows who he is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Withnessed the Dead Come Back To Life : Pastor feyi daniels / How Does One Know He/she Is Called By God / The Trinity Doctrine Revisited: Is Jesus=God=Holyspirit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.