Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,351 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! (32420 Views)

Nigerians You Are Being Deceived. True Status Of Buhari's Health. / Nigerians: We Don't Live In Paradise And We Know It / We Bring To You Live Pictures Of What Is Happening In Onitsha. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 3:05am On Jan 20, 2016
I'v wanted to write this article for over 2 months but its discouraging thinking about the number of points i need to raise to support my claims! NIGERIANS WANT THE BEST THINGS BUT NEVER WANT TO PAY FOR IT!! HOW ON EARTH DO YOU WANT YOUR COUNTRY TO DEVELOP?!

Quick question; Imagine government fixes Nigeria's issues of electricity and internet with other basic amenities today, Who here would be willing to pay an annual rent of N1million for a single room (Not one bedroom flat oo) in a city like Ado-Ekiti and N3million for the most average single room (shared toilet and bathroom with at least one other person e.g face me, I face you houses) in a city like Lagos?! Note: This is just basic rent and is therefore without utility bills such as Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage, Internet etc that averages about another N900,000 yearly.

I couldn't stop shaking my head at the gullibility of some Nigerians as i read the various comments on the N50 bank charges thread. That is what? 2cents charge on banking transactions that does not even include savings account that most of the commenters use oo! Even South Africa reportedly demands that you pay an equivalent of N500 for deposits into your own account (Savings or Current)! Where I live, you are demanded to pay an equivalent N4,200 in charges for deposit into another's account if you aren't a customer of the bank!

Nigeria has the lowest VAT tax in the world and i'm sure y'all will take to the streets in protests if this is ever increased! I pay N1,500 in charges for every ATM interbank withdrawal of an equivalent of N10,000 and you all couldn't stop screaming at the N65 naira (after 3rd transaction) that was introduced by the CBN last year! Haba Nigerians!! You want to live 'comfortably' like Americans and Europeans but aren't ready to pay the price! Who does that sh*t! One of the major reasons why you don't enjoy goodies is because because you haven't had to pay enough taxes. It is partly a reason why the government doesn't feel very responsible to the people as well. Oil is not anyone's property anyways.

I really can't remember the last time i visited an hospital but i'm mandated to pay an equivalent of N23,000 monthly for health insurance! Would you be willing to pay such amount for the sake of development in the health care sector in Nigeria?! I don't think so but you would be the first to take pictures for nairaland about the pitiable state of one hospital in your city!

You want the best Infrastructures in the world but have never paid taxes from your businesses! Some people would rather close up shop than pay the most basic tax to the government! How on earth do you expect any development if you aren't ready to help government with funds? Nigeria is not the only country with oil, we don't even have as much as Russia but expect to get everything for free because there's oil in the land! What would y'all have done if you didn't have anything but rocks and granite? you would expect the government officials to use their personal incomes to develop the country first and then see if you like it or not before you decide to pay?! I no pity your destiny!

Nowhere in the world is mobile internet data cheap, Nigerians automatically feel they are being ripped off by mobile operators who use the same infrastructure that's being deployed everywhere else! For a 2gb mobile internet data allowance from T-mobile, I pay N5,000 monthly, This is not even close to what Nigerians get from the mobile operators but they scream to the heavens still. Agreed, cable/ADSL, wired internet is cheaper but you cant blame this on the telecom industries, Government should make provisions for that! But again, how many persons would not scream 'Rip off' if you all are asked to pay a mandatory internet fee ranging in thousands of Naira every month

From food to clothings, transportation, even prostitutes (Girls in brothels here charge at least 12k for a quickie, Don't ask me how i know grin), Nigerians live on the cheap and want to keep up with the expensive! No! It doesn't work that way! You have to pay for developments that leads to a robust economy which in turn leads to higher standard of living (Job creation, Increment in Minimum wage, Good roads, healthcare facilities etc)..

207 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 3:24am On Jan 20, 2016
ok
waiting for you to complete your JUNK of a post
modified
ok so you have completed the post?
alright here is my question, if nigeria is a paradise like you say, having lowest VAT rates, why are you NOT living in nigeria?
will you be willing to pay 23,000 health insurance in a country where the elites run to india london etc at the slightest headache with YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE?
hey man, just return to the zoo and join in enjoying the paradise
if there is any ignoramus here, NWANNE EHN NA YOU BE THAT IGNORAMUS FULL TIME
but you try sha o, this your post na better JUNK just as i predicted even when you were yet to complete it

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by chxe: 3:25am On Jan 20, 2016
Go sleep you no know wetin you dey talk.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Juxtified(m): 4:06am On Jan 20, 2016
You have a lot to learn about what's going on around you
First, you don't call people ignoramus because you're trying to make a point, expecially when you may turn out to be the ignoramus at the end of the day.
Second, from your post I'm assuming you don't live in Nigeria, I wonder why that is, if we seem to be having it so rosy here, why don't you relocate to Nigeria to enjoy with us?
Third, Nigerians are smart people. They know what their money is being used for. When they suddenly start seeing charges that were not there before in their previous transactions, without an equivalent improvement in quality of services being provided, they raise eyebrows, like intelligent people often do.

310 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by untainted: 4:12am On Jan 20, 2016
jayfolarin:
Haba Nigerians!! You want to live 'comfortably' like Americans and Europeans but aren't ready to pay the price! Who does that sh*t!
So, Nigerians should smile when they pay for the quality of Europe and get the services of countries no better than Somalia and Eritrea?
Comparing apples and oranges.
Very very shallow.
Heed the advice of the OP above; Go to sleep!!!

145 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by LONJITARLE(m): 4:15am On Jan 20, 2016
Op.... u are all most about to make a point. but them I remember

as soon as we have jobs,
as soon as the minimum wage is increased
as soon as a dollar is back to 150 naira
we will not wait for the government to come for our taxes, we will take it to them.

until then please go and sleep...
too many Dasuki's in this country

150 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 4:44am On Jan 20, 2016
Juxtified:
You have a lot to learn about what's going on around you
First, you don't call people ignoramus because you're trying to make a point, expecially when you may turn out to be the ignoramus at the end of the day.
Second, from your post I'm assuming you don't live in Nigeria, I wonder why that is, if we seem to be having it so rosy here, why don't you relocate to Nigeria to enjoy with us?
Third, Nigerians are smart people. They know what their money is being used for. When they suddenly start seeing charges that were not there before in their previous transactions, without an equivalent improvement in quality of services being provided, they raise eyebrows, like intelligent people often do.

So you want the government to use their personal incomes to develop the country first after which you will decide to contribute your quota to the economy if you like the results or not?!! i guess you should also ask them to help you put breakfast, lunch and dinner on your table!! The development in the west is as a result of the taxes generated from its citizens, not the other way round!

You can't eat your cake and have it!

22 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 4:59am On Jan 20, 2016
LONJITARLE:

as soon as we have jobs,
we will not wait for the government to come for our taxes, we will take it to them.

You have to pay for developments that leads to a robust economy which in turn leads to higher standard of living (Job creation, Increment in Minimum wage, Good roads, healthcare facilities etc).. it is what is obtainable everywhere!

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by austinvsb1(m): 5:06am On Jan 20, 2016
This has always been my point of view as well. How do you expect anyone in power to feel any sense of responsibility to the citizens when the citizens are not responsible themselves! Everyone, everywhere pays taxes, Nigerians see even the cheap taxes that are required of them as rip offs.. Una neva ready for development o!

17 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by jameseva: 5:13am On Jan 20, 2016
You do have some points here.. you should remove the offensive statement unenlightened lots' from your topic to get more views and probably front page chance..

Cc Lalasticlala

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Juxtified(m): 5:16am On Jan 20, 2016
jayfolarin:

So you want the government to use their personal incomes to develop the country first after which you will decide to contribute your quota to the economy if you like the results or not?!! i guess you should also ask them to help you put breakfast, lunch and dinner on your table!! The development in the west is as a result of the taxes generated from its citizens, not the other way round!

You can't eat your cake and have it!
What do you mean by "personal income"?
I hope you're not referring to the revenue being generated from various sources such as oil sales, payroll taxes, individual & company income taxes, etc, which all ultimately come from the 'guy on the street', and instead of being used for development, are being used by govt to buy private properties all over the world, finance election campaigns, and squander as they deem fit?
Some states have not paid their workers for more than 6months, the governors complain of being broke yet can't explain what they do with their monthly federal allocations & IGR!
I'm sure no father will be happy paying the school fees of a child who continually performs woefully despite all being provided. In the same vein, no one would be happy paying (increased) taxes when there's no light, no motorable roads, no salary, no good water, ...

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by DaBullIT(m): 5:29am On Jan 20, 2016
LONJITARLE:

as soon as we have jobs,

Best comment ever

OP failed to mention that OPEC states the lowest minimum wage is Nigeria's, even Pakistan or so their min wage is upwards of 40k

And that's for those who have jobs by the way it is easy for hundreds of graduates to die, immigration tragedy? Hundreds of thousands applied for A few hundred positions

And I like that bit about taking our taxes to government grin

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by austinvsb1(m): 5:34am On Jan 20, 2016
DaBullIT:

Best comment ever

OP failed to mention that OPEC states the lowest minimum wage is Nigeria's, even Pakistan or so their min wage is upwards of 40k

And that's for those who have jobs by the way it is easy for hundreds of graduates to die, immigration tragedy? Hundreds of thousands applied for A few hundred positions

And I like that bit about taking our taxes to government grin

You want the Maximum wage but are not ready to contribute your quota to achieve that. You think the government will just wake up one day and increase your wages?! Increased wages happen all over the world as a result of boosted economy which occurs through judicious use of your paid taxes!

kontinu you hia!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by mojibbz(m): 5:40am On Jan 20, 2016
Op is actually making some serious point... Carry on op.. Mind not the naysayers

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by goooze(m): 5:41am On Jan 20, 2016
Naija! You people refused to comment on this thread because you all know what the op said is the truth

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Wyttcat: 5:48am On Jan 20, 2016
I tire oo!
Nigerians don't know that "you get what you pay for", and it's because they don't love the country.

Govt should deduct N1,000 in form of medicare from salaries of people making N50k and up to build new hospitals.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by jameseva: 6:01am On Jan 20, 2016
Wyttcat:
I tire oo!
Nigerians don't know that "you get what you pay for", and it's because they don't love the country.

My sentiments exactly! No love for the country at all! Why would an average igbo man who is day dreaming about biafra but working in lagos want to contribute anything to the development of the city and country at large! Still he screams to the heavens that he is beinf made to live like an animal..

You dont contribute anything but want the best systems, enviroment and infrastructure for your lives and businesses?! Who does that sh*t! *in the words of the OP* grin

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by jameseva: 6:02am On Jan 20, 2016
Abagworo:
Nigerians lack the basic understanding of collective efforts. We see Government as aliens with mystic powers to provide everything we need without any personal contribution. People use garbage to fill up drainage and expect Government to come clear it for them or accuse Government of causing the resultant flooding.

I like this post! had to bring it up from the second page!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:09am On Jan 20, 2016
You cannot live beyond your country's gdp. Economist will explain further for you

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 20, 2016
Op stop smoking cheap weed!! Can you ride on a bike with no seat? Off cause No, we are not dumb how can you pay soo much and receive below average ?? U have a head + brain use it.
Waiting for u to relocate to Nigeria ASAP.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Wyttcat: 6:11am On Jan 20, 2016
Right! Something really needs to be done fast. Nigerians living abroad can be taxed too, after all, American citizens living and working overseas still send their annual taxes to America. Nigerians who refuse must not be allowed in the country or be picked up straight from the airport to a jailhouse. We need all hands on deck to fix Nigeria.
jameseva:

My sentiments exactly! No love for the country at all! Why would an average igbo man who is day dreaming about biafra but working in lagos want to contribute anything to the development of the city and country at large! Still he screams to the heavens that he is beinf made to live like an animal..

You dont contribute anything but want the best systems, enviroment and infrastructure for your lives and businesses?! Who does that sh*t! *in the words of the OP* grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Babe2sure(f): 6:11am On Jan 20, 2016
OP, you made good points but your post is drown in unsavoury words at the same time. Almost all or virtually everyone knows that paying taxes leads to increased development which in turn leads to a robust economy, so you don't need to use the word "ignorance of Nigerians."

However, the taxes people pay are not used judiciously for developments, most of the time. It discourages some people from paying. What with cases of the monies being squandered.

If people don't get value for their money you don't expect them not to raise eyebrows when tariffs are raised. It keeps the mobile operators in check and on their toes. It should be a win-win situation.
You shouldn't be comparing what obtains at where you reside to ours in terms of pricing, because we operate different economies. Whatever happen in Vegas stays in Vegas!

OK o. We will be paying our taxes regularly. cheesy. Thanks anyways.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:14am On Jan 20, 2016
Wyttcat:
I tire oo!

Govt should deduct N1,000 in form of medicare from salaries of people making N50k and up to build new hospitals.

N1,000 in form of medicare is an absolutely brilliant idea!! but Imagine the government announces this tomorrow,, the streets will be on lockdown from protests! I just don't understand the unpatriotic attitude of Nigerians to their country! I don't get it!!

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 20, 2016
Kingsolex1:
Op stop smoking cheap weed!! Can you ride on a bike with no seat? Off cause No, we are not dumb how can you pay soo much and receive below average ?? U have a head + brain use it.
Waiting for u to relocate to Nigeria ASAP.

You say how can you pay soo much?? What's the much that nigerians have had to pay?? 95% of the economy is natural resource based for f#ck's sake! How did this kids get on nairaland?!!

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Pidggin(f): 6:20am On Jan 20, 2016
OP, you do not have sense(no offense). Assuming there are 5 million bank transactions in a month this means the FG will earn 250,000,000 in revenue from the masses each month.

Have you seen the proposed budget? Billions of Naira allocated for the purchase of cars, feeding, Kitchen utensils, websites, Travel, recreation allowances and many other frivolities for the president and his crew. If govt needs funds this much, they can borrow from the masses by issuing treasury bills. This way they gain and the masses gain too.

Where was it stated that it does not include savings account? All funds(from N1000 and above made by a third party) into any account will be taxed, go back and read the policy well before arguing

Your ignorance is epic, who told you businesses do not pay tax? If you operate a business in some states here you will understand that you cannot evade tax payment easily. In fact, in some states businesses are collapsing from multiple taxation

In some countries abroad data is the cheapest thing you can get. Ask people living in US or UK, some of them watch YouTube videos continously because they pay a paltry amount for it.

Stop accusing us of complaining for nothing because you will do same if you lived here.

Besides, during the recent visit of the IMF boss she said Nigeria was not broke. If this is true then why is FG now trying to take from the masses?

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by austinvsb1(m): 6:22am On Jan 20, 2016
Babe2sure:
OP, you made good points but your post is drown in unsavoury words at the same time. Almost all or virtually everyone knows that paying taxes leads to increased development which in turn leads to a robust economy, so you don't need to use the word "ignorance of Nigerians."

However, the taxes people pay are not used judiciously for developments, most of the time. It discourages some people from paying. What with cases of the monies being squandered.

If people don't get value for their money you don't expect them not to raise eyebrows when tariffs are raised. It keeps the mobile operators in check and on their toes. It should be a win-win situation.
You shouldn't be comparing what obtains at where you reside to ours in terms of pricing, because we operate different economies. Whatever happen in Vegas stays in Vegas!

OK o. We will be paying our taxes regularly. cheesy. Thanks anyways.

You made salient points as well! I guess my sentiment in supporting the OP is centered around the fact that I trust this government to handle incomes way better than the previous governments we'v had!

Sincerely though, if we want an economy like that of America, we'll have to support the government in our own little ways till we operate economies like theirs! The rules are simple! Ecomonies are built!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Wyttcat: 6:25am On Jan 20, 2016
Oh yes! And if they keep protesting these ideas, it means they don't want development, the land will not develop itself, electricity will not improve out of thin air, we have to do it all and they cost money, and that's why countries of the world don't joke with taxes. No one likes to pay for anything, but they know that beautiful things cost money.
jayfolarin:

N1,000 in form of medicare is an absolutely brilliant idea!! but Imagine the government announces this tomorrow,, the streets will be on lockdown from protests! I just don't understand the unpatriotic attitude of Nigerians to their country! I don't get it!!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by DaBullIT(m): 6:25am On Jan 20, 2016
shocked Chiiiisos

Can you contribute or give what you don't have?

Average of average of the average nigerian's
Salary is 60k/Mn = 720k PA

Family of 5-2 students average feeding =20k/Mn= 240k

Average house rent per year = 180k

Own a car? Yes

Average service per month 6k =72k PA

Children in Federal polytechnic average of 60k + 10k every month =60+120 ≠180k

Private secondary school average of 60k

Utility :

Water = he no dey

Light = average of 7k per month = 144k

Upkeep : clothes, tyre, emergencies, textbooks, subscriptions, transport and fuel, etc average of 300k PA

300k+ 144k+60k+180k+240k+72k+180k

Total = 1.17m deduct 720k

=

gbèsè

austinvsb1:

You want the Maximum wage but are not ready to contribute your quota to achieve that. You think the government will just wake up one day and increase your wages?! Increased wages happen all over the world as a result of boosted economy which occurs through judicious use of your paid taxes!

kontinu you hia!

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by okuya: 6:28am On Jan 20, 2016
Op abeg how much is d average take home payment in ur country of residence?

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by jameseva: 6:31am On Jan 20, 2016
Pidggin:
OP, you do not have sense(no offense). re Assuming there are bank transactions in a month this means the FG will earn 250,000,000 in revenue from the masses each month.

Have you seen the proposed budget? Billions of Naira allocated for the purchase of cars, feeding, Kitchen utensils, websites, Travel, recreation allowances and many other frivolities for the president and his crew.

E no go beta for u for dis your yeye write-up

All this yaba left patients everywhere smh! One of the reasons why i believe our govt makes ridiculous budgets and get away with it is coz they dont feel a sense of commitment towards the masses! I mean the moneys for funding this projects are basically from tapped natural resources deposited by God and Nature not Nigerians! Nigerians i believe will have loads of claim to government accountability if they had sincerely contributed to the country's revenue.. but No, you believe the oil is your personal property and is making enough money that should be paid into your account monthly! Oil is indeed a curse!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by SmartMugu: 6:37am On Jan 20, 2016
Wyttcat:
Right! Something really needs to be done fast. Nigerians living abroad can be taxed too, after all, American citizens living and working overseas still send their annual taxes to America. Nigerians who refuse must not be allowed in the country or be picked up straight from the airport to a jailhouse. We need all hands on deck to fix Nigeria.
If Americans that work overseas don't pay their taxes, they are still allowed back to the US and never get arrested for not doing so. I don't think any country arrests anyone from the airport for not paying taxes. They may be eventually charged with tax evasion if the IRS has sufficient evidence, but definitely not denying ones entry or on the spot arrest like you just suggested for Nigeria.

Again, many Nigerians living abroad maintain dual citizenships. Are you suggesting they pay taxes wherever they live and still remit taxes back to Nigeria? If so, why? I asked because in the US for example, you don't live and work in Texas for example and pay state taxes to Alabama if you haven't worked there. I think same applies here, you don't live overseas and pay taxes to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by austinvsb1(m): 6:41am On Jan 20, 2016
SmartMugu:

If Americans that work overseas don't pay their taxes, they are still allowed back to the US and never get arrested for not doing so. I don't think any country arrests anyone from the airport for not paying taxes. They may be eventually charged with tax evasion if the IRS has sufficient evidence, but definitely not denying ones entry or on the spot arrest like you just suggested for Nigeria.

Again, many Nigerians living abroad maintain dual citizenships. Are you suggesting they pay taxes wherever they live and still remit taxes back to Nigeria? If so, why? I asked because in the US for example, you don't live and work in Texas for example and pay state taxes to Alabama if you haven't worked there. I think same applies here, you don't live overseas and pay taxes to Nigeria.

In my opinion, it should be more of a developmental levy for being a Nigerian citizen.. Like the poster you quoted said, Nigeria needs all hands on deck for the quick development of the country! We are fast loosing pace with the western world!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Celebration Around Ibom Plaza As Udom Wins -pics / Pictures Of President Buhari And Aisha In Malabo, Equatorial Guinea / Governor Zulum Received President Muhammadu Buhari In Borno (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.