Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,370 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

What Bail Conditions Really Mean - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Bail Conditions Really Mean (29430 Views)

Sule Lamido Rejects Bail Condition (See The Bail Conditions) / 3 Likely Sureties Who May Stand In To Meet Nnamdi Kanu Bail Conditions / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Conditions: Jewish Surety, N300m, No Interviews, Crowd Of 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by nemadfsyahooc: 9:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
Let me add my voice here, bail money or property is not deposited anywhere. It is called bail bond. Bond because its a written agreement that surety will provide the accused in court whenever needed and a guarantee that he will not jumb bail. Its only when e jumb bail that the court confisticate the properties in the bail bond. Simple. Abi una never go bail person for court b4 no.

2 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Lionsclaw: 9:06pm On Jan 22, 2016
marlockj:

Some of you Jst read n don't understand.

Please cn u gv mi xample of that government?
YOU ARE THAT GOVERNMENT
The yeye person saying some of us can't understand can't even spell 'me' or 'example'. Or is it mere spelling laziness.
Abeg pack enter left
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by francisbiz: 9:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
Geist:
You very funny. Without meeting any of the bail conditions, you can't be released. So what if the accused and the surties flee the country? what then?
What if you die today? what then?
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by mrmetoo1: 9:13pm On Jan 22, 2016
macklef:

Ehen? So what happens if he dosnt get tried. Asin, d niggar dies. D govt looses then
Because as a bondsman i still keep my 10% bah?

Ah! I'm not sure about that o. I guess he didn't technically jump bail.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by joansteff(m): 9:28pm On Jan 22, 2016
Where de surety amd de acussed escape, de ppty of de surety wil be forfieted to de govt and de acussed wil be a fugitive until he or she is caught
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by scachy(m): 9:30pm On Jan 22, 2016
Geist:
You very funny. Without meeting any of the bail conditions, you can't be released. So what if the accused and the surties flee the country? what then?

It's not possible cos the accused , n in some cases the surties usually keeps their relevant travel document under court custody for as long as d case lasts.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by scachy(m): 9:31pm On Jan 22, 2016
Candyrain:
OP why are you trying to ruin the day of those jubilating on the bail condition of Olisa Metuh, huh?
Has ruined their day Indeed grin grin
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by scachy(m): 9:40pm On Jan 22, 2016
Before u say OP is wrong, pls let us know if u r a lawyer, n name of ur chamber is possible.
We need to differentiate between reality n personal opinion on this thread.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Geist(m): 10:18pm On Jan 22, 2016
francisbiz:

What if you die today? what then?
Na you wan kill me? undecided
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by isblog(m): 10:33pm On Jan 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP:

You are wrong! The bail money money is to be paid to the court and will be kept in the court's custody until after the trial. Should the accused jump bail, he forfeits the money. If he doesn't, he's refunded the money after the trial is concluded.
Documents or certificates of ownership of Property worth the said amount for bail can be tendered and left in court custody pending the final ruling. If accused jumps bail, sureties forfeit the property too...
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Geist(m): 10:42pm On Jan 22, 2016
scachy:

It's not possible cos the accused , n in some cases the surties usually keeps their relevant travel document under court custody for as long as d case lasts.
When ever travel documents are to be ceased, its always stated among bail conditions. And that you're granted bail does not mean you can't travel(unless explicitly stated in the bail conditions) its only means you should always show up in court when needed.

1 Like

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Mike008(m): 10:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
Under the Nigerian Criminal Justice System.
Any of the following Conditions/Terms/Types (however you chose to call it) of bail are usually utilized by the courts or police.

1. Bail on self-recognizance: this is where an accused person is granted bail on the basis of his status or reputation, with the belief that, he will attend his trial. The accused person is not required to enter into a bond or provide sureties.

2. Bail on bond for a fixed amount: here an accused person executes a bond i.e. an agreement, for a fixed amount without a surety that he will appear in court or police station on a specified date. Where the accused person fails to appear in court on the stipulated date, he will be liable to pay the amount stated in the bond.

3. Bail on a bond with surety (ies) : here, an accused person produces one or more sureties who executes a bond on behalf of the accused, guaranteeing his attendance to court. As in the above case, the sureties will be liable to the sum in the bail bond.

4. Deposit of Money Instead of a Bond : here the accused person applies to pay a sum of money as deposit instead of entering into a bond.

Note: because certain bail conditions are at the discretion of the courts, the courts may impute additional conditions to ensure compliance in cases where bail should ordinarily not be granted, e.g. Capital offences. Consequently, courts may demand that a surety must be resident within jurisdiction, own landed property or swear to an affidavit or the accused person deposits his international passport.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2016
All those things you guys are reading online about meaning of bail does not work in Nigeria.

Here in Nigeria once the court grant someone BAIL, BEFORE THAT PERSON CAN BE RELEASE FROM PRISON, THE SURETIES MUST PAY 10% OF THE SAID AMOUNT. GO ASK ANY LAWYER
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by DICK4UCKPUSSY: 11:17pm On Jan 22, 2016
Kk nau
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by bobby56(m): 11:51pm On Jan 22, 2016
Geist:
OLOODO. All dat happened is just a pledge which can only be redeemed when the Accused 'jump bail' (i.e ran away). But for now nobody is paying a dime. They are just SURETIES
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by bobby56(m): 12:00am On Jan 23, 2016
DropShot:
Op, I think you're wrong. The bail conditions must be perfected, including the money part, before the accused will be released. Check your facts as I check mine too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

From the emboldened, it's clear that the money has to be deposited with the court. If not, there won't be need for "bail money may be returned" after trial.
OLOODO RABATA. Go and ask a qualified Lawyer about what a bail condition is and stop quoting what u found on d internet. Some internet explanations are not applicable in every Country esp Nigeria
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by poseidon12: 1:02am On Jan 23, 2016
ccoolitempa:
This is very simple...no confusion here. Bail money is demanded by the court as a sort of guarantee to stop an individual fleeing/not showing up in court and if that bail is provided, the individual under trial is then released to stand trial but the bail is held in the custody of the court. If the individual does not show up, the bail is forfeited by the individual who put up the bail. This is held until the end of the trial whatever the outcome.
If bail money is paid to the court, what is then the need for submitting the C of O to a property that covers the bail money?
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by poseidon12: 1:07am On Jan 23, 2016
Mike008:
Under the Nigerian Criminal Justice System.
Any of the following Conditions/Terms/Types (however you chose to call it) of bail are usually utilized by the courts or police.

1. Bail on self-recognizance: this is where an accused person is granted bail on the basis of his status or reputation, with the belief that, he will attend his trial. The accused person is not required to enter into a bond or provide sureties.

2. Bail on bond for a fixed amount: here an accused person executes a bond i.e. an agreement, for a fixed amount without a surety that he will appear in court or police station on a specified date. Where the accused person fails to appear in court on the stipulated date, he will be liable to pay the amount stated in the bond.

3. Bail on a bond with surety (ies) : here, an accused person produces one or more sureties who executes a bond on behalf of the accused, guaranteeing his attendance to court. As in the above case, the sureties will be liable to the sum in the bail bond.

4. Deposit of Money Instead of a Bond : here the accused person applies to pay a sum of money as deposit instead of entering into a bond.

Note: because certain bail conditions are at the discretion of the courts, the courts may impute additional conditions to ensure compliance in cases where bail should ordinarily not be granted, e.g. Capital offences. Consequently, courts may demand that a surety must be resident within jurisdiction, own landed property or swear to an affidavit or the accused person deposits his international passport.

Thanks for the explanation. This clears the confusion most of us are having on what bail really means in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by poseidon12: 1:12am On Jan 23, 2016
Themaingate:
All those things you guys are reading online about meaning of bail does not work in Nigeria.

Here in Nigeria once the court grant someone BAIL, BEFORE THAT PERSON CAN BE RELEASE FROM PRISON, THE SURETIES MUST PAY 10% OF THE SAID AMOUNT. GO ASK ANY LAWYER

Not true. Conditions are generally at the discretion of the Judge. And you usually don't have to deposit any money before being released. Paying cash only happens if accused fails to appear in court for trial.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by poseidon12: 1:16am On Jan 23, 2016
Y
nemadfsyahooc:
Let me add my voice here, bail money or property is not deposited anywhere. It is called bail bond. Bond because its a written agreement that surety will provide the accused in court whenever needed and a guarantee that he will not jumb bail. Its only when e jumb bail that the court confisticate the properties in the bail bond. Simple. Abi una never go bail person for court b4 no.

You are correct. You don't have to deposit any cash.

1 Like

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Frankiss44(m): 6:02am On Jan 23, 2016
blazetitov:

Very wrong back to back. This gives the guarantor and the accused the open door to take off..

They can't take off because they will have their account frozen and property confiscated
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Frankiss44(m): 6:06am On Jan 23, 2016
Themaingate:

That's a fat lie and I can tell you plainly that no money money whatsoever is to be deposited until the accused jumps bail
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by marlockj: 9:08am On Jan 23, 2016
Lionsclaw:
YOU ARE THAT GOVERNMENT
The yeye person saying some of us can't understand can't even spell 'me' or 'example'. Or is it mere spelling laziness.
Abeg pack enter left

Y didn't u say I cnt spell:: you::,can::and:: can't:::

U Dnt Hv anything to say..Cuz if u had u culd Hv answered my question...

N I culd Hv beaten u blue black here...

You are lucky, Cuz if u had given mi Dat xample... Hmmm u culd Hv bin in tears of ur ignorance...
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by marlockj: 9:13am On Jan 23, 2016
Lionsclaw:
YOU ARE THAT GOVERNMENT
Abeg pack enter left

It shows how foollllish u are are did u knw xample mean example??

Mi means me?

Did u Nt see Jst meaning just too??

you see how foollllish you are..

u said he cn spell Bt u wer able to read d comment iti...

You think by writin in full you will pass ur xams... lol
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Ezeebube2(m): 10:30am On Jan 23, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP:

You are wrong! The bail money money is to be paid to the court and will be kept in the court's custody until after the trial. Should the accused jump bail, he forfeits the money. If he doesn't, he's refunded the money after the trial is concluded.

now I'm certain u're not a lawyer cos this shows that u ain't conversant with the adjudication of criminal justice in Nigeria with regards to bail. Our court's seldom ask for money to b deposited, they always order for bail bonds.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by WaffenSS(m): 10:36am On Jan 23, 2016
modath:

Why do you take everything personal? ... It is a rhetorical question for pete sakes!! angry

Dropshot , geist, tuale4u & barca ,

Do not take my word for it but 1.3 (300m + 2 surety in like sum equals 300x2=600 altogether that is 900m sad billion naira is not going to be deposited anywhere, I have read again, 2 sureties in like sum of 300m, we are allowing interpretation confuse us... smiley

Will Excise & paste specifics ... a dey come.....

Bail is traditionally Properties sef..

Simmer down.

You and the OP are both wrong. Bail must be paid to the courts. Else what happens if the evidence of the money is shown, the court releases the suspect, and the surety later uses the money during trial?

Even in the cop shop you pay cash to be bailed.

1 Like

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Lionsclaw: 10:52am On Jan 23, 2016
marlockj:

It shows how foollllish u are are did u knw xample mean example??

Mi means me?

Did u Nt see Jst meaning just too??

you see how foollllish you are..

u said he cn spell Bt u wer able to read d comment iti...

You think by writin in full you will pass ur xams... lol
You must be an olodo who reads and dont understand. If you have any sense you will notice I said its either you cant spell or you are LAZY to spell.
But now i see its just foolishness. And yes you will fail if you spell me as mi.
Olodo when your examiner marks u off tell him he was suppose to know you meant example by writing xample.
Just show your father our arguement and watch him tell you that you are the foolish one
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 10:56am On Jan 23, 2016
Double post.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 11:00am On Jan 23, 2016
WaffenSS:

Simmer down.

You and the OP are both wrong. Bail must be paid to the courts. Else what happens if the evidence of the money is shown, the court releases the suspect, and the surety later uses the money during trial?

Even in the cop shop you pay cash to be bailed.

Oga, we dont know who is on the other end on the internet so we need to always exercise caution when we argue, not everyone on NL is ignorant..

Moreover, you don't have any idea about what you are arguing about....

Would have taken the pains to educate you if you were eager to learn but all you are interested in is punching holes in something you don't even understand, so stay with your thought process.....

Police collect cash to bail cos we are in a country where processes are abused & everything is upside down...

Metuh's Sureties will not pay anyone a farthing, they will only surrender Property Title Docs that have the same value as the amount in each bail condition....

If per adventure, sureties are using cash, (which is 100% unlikely cos who will admit to having 200m cash without commensurate income stream?) it will be in accounts that will have PLEASE DO NOT PAY order so no transaction will be possible on the account till the case is concluded...

All i will tell you is to research before jumping wildly into mentions, it is not a good look!.... Thank you...
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by LordReed(m): 11:02am On Jan 23, 2016
maximunimpact:

But if the accused maintain statuesque

That should be status quo.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Lionsclaw: 11:02am On Jan 23, 2016
marlockj:

Y didn't u say I cnt spell:: you::,can::and:: can't:::

U Dnt Hv anything to say..Cuz if u had u culd Hv answered my question...

N I culd Hv beaten u blue black here...

You are lucky, Cuz if u had given mi Dat xample... Hmmm u culd Hv bin in tears of ur ignorance...
This trash talk shows you are a naive child who nows nothing and think life is all about what is said alone.
Mum.u which stupid example are you talking about and who will argue with a child like you.
Maybe you should ask you younger ones to give you the answer you seek cos that answer you have in your head is what makes people call you zom.bie

PS your way of spelling is disgusting and if your family have not told you then they dont like you
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by WaffenSS(m): 11:07am On Jan 23, 2016
modath:

Oga, we dont know who is on the other end on the internet so we need to always exercise caution when we argue, not everyone on NL is ignorant..

Moreover, you don't have any idea about what you are arguing about....

Would have taken the pains to educate you if you were eager to learn but all you are interested in is punching holes in something you don't even understand, so stay with your thought process.....

Police collect cash to bail cos we are in a country where processes are abused & everything is upside down...

Metuh's Sureties will not pay anyone a farthing, they will only surrender Property Title Docs that have the same value as the amount in each bail condition....

If per adventure, sureties are using cash, (which is 100% unlikely cos who will admit to having 200m cash without commensurate income stream?) it will be in accounts that will have PLEASE DO NOT PAY order so no transaction will be possible on the account till the case is concluded...

All i will tell you is to research before jumping wildly into mentions, it is not a good look!.... Thank you...

Wow!

See how you're frothing at the mouth over a non-issue.

Ok o! keep walking down the path of ignorance.

Or maybe you know better cos you've been bailed before.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sack Of Osinbajo's Aides: Buhari Was Right After All - By Yunana Dungs / 2023: Femi Otedola Backs Bola Tinubu's Presidential Aspiration / Throwback Photo Of When Tinubu Signed The Agreement To Establish LFTZ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.