Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason (18354 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / I Was Slapped By My Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 24, 2016

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by tellwisdom: 11:41am On Jan 24, 2016
satelliteDISH:

She tell U the amount wey them dey pay her? Na so Una dey take spoil other people families.
Intact , U get luck say U no dey my area.

E be like sey u wan comot for that one room wey u dey abi?? angry
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Uro2011: 11:48am On Jan 24, 2016
Don't waste your time and money. It happened to me too and the lawyer took the matter to the industrial court, I got tired from the constant demand for more cash by my lawyer. The company is richer than you and its legal department will be ever ready to use you for practicals. Presently am on my own and I make an average of $300 weekly from the comfort of my home without saying "yes ma'am or yes sir" to any boss. Call or whatsapp me on 08037798195

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Swints: 11:48am On Jan 24, 2016
VampireeM:
Sincerely I do wonder why most of we Females are Evil.. She reminds me of my previous female boss... They will tell you they ve nothing against you meanwhile behind you they say and hatch all sort nonsense...

If you ve the will to sue her please do but meanwhile you can leave everything in God's hands and believe she has paved way for you to get to a higher and better place.

I so agree with you that Females are wicked especially those that claim to be christians just like my present boss who is manipulative and vindictive. Just leave it to God op and God will take you to a better place.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by bellville: 11:57am On Jan 24, 2016
Did you say 2months? You were probably still under probation. Your probationary status coupled with the terrible appraisal made your sack very easy.

A lot depends on what your contract of employment says. That's the document the court will rely on if you sue. Is there a probation period in your letter? Is there a provision requiring notice before termination?

All these are important.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by seunajia: 12:00pm On Jan 24, 2016
tpiar:
i dont know you, your boss or anybody involved in your saga.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3328305_sense___jpegf77ed7ab68874721dab565a4fa44bc87
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by ministeriallist: 12:02pm On Jan 24, 2016
grin

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by jobsat34(m): 12:04pm On Jan 24, 2016
samguru:
Thank you all for your contributions,I forgot to add this ,
When I noticed she was not at peace with me and didn't want me to learn,I stylishly attached myself to guy who taught me how to use the software,when she discovered I could use the software,she stopped giving me assignments.

yu shud be careful when considering taking legal course against ur ex employer over termination...

a former colleague once attempted d same, but was advice to rather negotiate a better payoff peacefully rather than seeking redress in court..

these days, the employers re wise. The guy was made to understand that depending on the reason for the termination, one cannot just sue the employer especially if it is stated that " service no longer required".

if the above is the case, just peacefully negotiate a better payoff. however, if its termination of appointment, you can seek legal advice as this will be term as not being given a fair hearing before termination.

above all, who knows what God has in stock for you.. maybe yu shud move on to ur Glory...
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by DeNovo: 12:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
samguru:
My fellow Nairalanders please what should I do?

I was fired on Thursday and no reason was stated in the termination of appointment letter.

Should I go to industrial court to seek redress or write the management to ask the reason why my appointment was terminated, because throughout my 2 months stay in the company I did not receive any notice of warning neither was involved in any fraud case.

Please what should I do?

I was employed as a subordinate under the head of a department in November last year,meanwhile before resigning my appointment in my former place of work,I was the head of the same department.

Right from day one in the new workplace,she started making my work difficult, she did not give me proper orientation and failed to attach me to a trainer,as a matter of fact she said to me and I quote " you should learn how to use company software in two days, in short you should be on your own in three days"

Everyday she makes life horrible for me, she hauls insults at me as If I was a greenhorn in the field. infact there was a day she said I was looking like a slowpoke, that I am too slow for her liking.
A month and some weeks later in the employment,she said she has done her assessment and submitted,that I scored zero in every area,that the fresh graduates perform better than me.

At that point,I sensed she was seeing me as a threat and for peace to reign,I called and tried to pacify her,she said she does not have anything against me.

and being new in the system, I have to learn how to use the software and office procedures,but this madam does not have soft spot for me on small mistakes,she always say this' you don't know anything you better go back to your former place of work'.
I got fed up and reported the matter to the HR,I was told to be patient with her and asked if I wanted redeployment which I said yes.

She relegated me to the state of nonentity by attaching me to an intern( to be assisting an intern).

When my appointment was terminated on Thursday, I was told to go and do clearance, to my amazement when I took my clearance form to her, she was not sympathetic at all rather she said "so fast" and signed instantly.

I knew my sack was orchestrated by her and I want justice for her wicked act.

please how should I go about it?

My brother.. The labour act permits an employer to disengage an employee, at anytime... and without need to give reasons for such termination.

Your only recourse will be your letter of employment anb/or your conditions of service, and what it spells out as terms of disengagement I. E are your employers mandated to give you notice or pay salary in lieu? If they have not given u such notice prior to your termination, you can get the National Industrial Court to declare your dismissal wrongful, in which case you will be entitled to your salaries up to the judgement . And with intrest thereafter. Unfortunately Bro. .labour matters are not those you can claim damages!
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by angryhumanbeing: 12:17pm On Jan 24, 2016
samguru:

I was fired on Thursday and no reason was stated in the termination of appointment letter.

Should I go to industrial court to seek redress or write the management to ask the reason why my appointment was terminated, because throughout my 2 months stay in the company I did not receive any notice of warning neither was involved in any fraud case.

Please what should I do?

I was employed as a subordinate under the head of a department in November last year,meanwhile before resigning my appointment in my former place of work,I was the head of the same department.

Right from day one in the new workplace,she started making my work difficult, she did not give me proper orientation and failed to attach me to a trainer,as a matter of fact she said to me and I quote " you should learn how to use company software in two days, in short you should be on your own in three days"

Everyday she makes life horrible for me, she hauls insults at me as If I was a greenhorn in the field. infact there was a day she said I was looking like a slowpoke, that I am too slow for her liking.
A month and some weeks later in the employment,she said she has done her assessment and submitted,that I scored zero in every area,that the fresh graduates perform better than me.

At that point,I sensed she was seeing me as a threat and for peace to reign,I called and tried to pacify her,she said she does not have anything against me.

and being new in the system, I have to learn how to use the software and office procedures,but this madam does not have soft spot for me on small mistakes,she always say this' you don't know anything you better go back to your former place of work'.
I got fed up and reported the matter to the HR,I was told to be patient with her and asked if I wanted redeployment which I said yes.

She relegated me to the state of nonentity by attaching me to an intern( to be assisting an intern).

When my appointment was terminated on Thursday, I was told to go and do clearance, to my amazement when I took my clearance form to her, she was not sympathetic at all rather she said "so fast" and signed instantly.

sorry to hear this. God will surely fight for u. No peace for the wicked.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by skuribeebo: 12:31pm On Jan 24, 2016
samguru:

Please what should I do?

when You jump from one job to another because of token added to your salary .That is what you get.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by manie(m): 12:36pm On Jan 24, 2016
kennyman2000:
Hmmmmm.. This should be an eye opener for people who love changing jobs cos of little differences.

All the best bro!

People should avoid unnecessary job hopping, and if you must change jobs you need to do your research and due diligence on the new company. My mom's neighbour left First Bank in 2007 to join Intercontinental Bank due to more than 100% difference in salary, unfortunately the guy did not earn the new salary for 6 months before he was sacked by Intercontinental Bank.
A friend also left MTN in 2010 for Visafone, unfortunately MTN later bought Visafone and guy is now jobless. People need to look before they leap.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by choliprime: 12:37pm On Jan 24, 2016
please what ever you do ,dont waste your money and time on any court case. most lawyers are not sincere and they would make you believe you have a good case just to make you part with cash. Truth be told , you dont have any case. labour laws(master- slave relationship) allows employers to terminate contracts without any reason. since no notice was given to you are probably entitled to salary in lieu (depends on the terms of the contract) . My candid advice is to dust yourself up and move on. thankfully it was only two months so you could expunge them from your employment records on your c.v

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by samguru(m): 12:38pm On Jan 24, 2016
@ angryhumanbeing u can send a mail to me via samguru78@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by unbeat007(m): 12:40pm On Jan 24, 2016
dammytosh:
Look for another job.

1. It will be on record that you took your employer to court and it might hunt you in the future ?

2. They set your case null and void the time she gave you zero on performance. With that, no court will tell an employer to keep a non performing staff. (Not saying u are not)

Lesson :
Anytime you are given a terrible appraisal, fight it till u get what u deserve as they are simply preparing you for exit.

3. Remember the rule that says "Never outshine your master" always. You must have caused that threat with your approach. Remember you introduce yourself as head of the department you now second.

3. Just let it go and look before you leap next time.

All the company lawyer need to defend the company is simply the economic recession and the need to lay off non productive staffs (already documented against u by virtue of the last appraisal) to make the company a bit profitable.

Accept my sincere empathy and best of luck.

Is that why she was sacked without notice or salary in lieu of notice?
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by joeokoriem: 12:54pm On Jan 24, 2016
Each time I hear things like this, I weep for d youth. No Govt. No Justice.
If u want to sue, were would u channel ur complaint to. No justice for d poor in Nigeria. That's d truth. Even if u have worked for 5yrs and it's a one man coy. U can't do anything. Until we have a functional labour. Until we have a Judicial system that would fight for d poor and d pple at large, then u can fight for ur right. But right now no right for u in Nigeria. We don't have responsible Govt. We are responsible for ourself.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Mcbenjamin(m): 1:29pm On Jan 24, 2016
My dear friend I don't know how your faith is with God, and there is nothing God can't do. Seeking redress or going to the court may not be the issue. Have you talked to God about it? Take your time and pray about this if she is not sacked and your called back to be the head of the department then know God doesn't fight for the oppressed. I had silimer issues got a job in shell and my boss never liked me, after some months of oil price drop, I was the first to be scaked while I passed every accessment which is to keep me back in shell. I went home prayed about it and forgot it. But now am in a better place than shell and I thank God for leaving there because I was a direct contract staff but now am bigger and better. Pray about it if God wants u back there no devil can stop u, but if this is an opportunity for u to go higher in life then be wise in your decision making. Have a nice day.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by ogawisdom(m): 1:45pm On Jan 24, 2016
samguru:

Please what should I do?

2 months stay, ur incompetence got ur sorry ass fired tongue if u r smart u shld have seen dt coming. Dnt waste ur money going to court BC u r nt a confirmed staff, u were on probation n failed hence u got butted out. U scored zero in ur assessment n failed to learn d organizational work tools ie software n culture lipsrsealed

Move on bro
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Phargbemmy(m): 1:46pm On Jan 24, 2016
samguru:

Please what should I do?

@OP, its a very wicked world. I am faced with same situation at the same date (thursday 21st, January 2016).

Funny this is my appointment was confirmed within 3 months of joining this organization and I had a salary increment within 2 months of joining and I was flagabasted when I was handed a letter on the said date. I refused to sign any of their documents though.

Dear Nairalander, please advise on what to do.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by dammytosh: 1:52pm On Jan 24, 2016
unbeat007:
Is that why she was sacked without notice or salary in lieu of notice?

Do u know the terms of engagement ?
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by deniyor: 1:54pm On Jan 24, 2016
You were hired in November, and fired in January. Many jobs have a probationary period where you can terminated without cause.
If you were still in probation, then there is nothing you can do.

Best of Luck
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by solreb: 2:00pm On Jan 24, 2016
According to labour law for your type of employment (master/servant type) which is not statutory in nature, your employer has the right to terminate your employment with no reason. All they need is to pay you whatever is in your employment contract as termination pay-off. But still see your lawyer.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by DavidEsq(m): 2:03pm On Jan 24, 2016
wink2015:
[size=16pt]Please where is the industrial court in Nigeria. Their offices. Secondly, what is the procedure for forwarding complaint involving dispute with an employer of labour to an industrial court in Nigeria?

Persons with detailed information should share here for the benefit of all nairalanders.[/size]
That depends on your location; if u are in abj, its along Gimbya str; u do not forward a complaint to the NIC, u file a law suit which is beta done by a lawyer. As for the oda locations of the NIC, just Google it.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by unbeat007(m): 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
dammytosh:

Do u know the terms of engagement ?

I don't know the terms on which they contracted BUT I know that the Labour Act provides that Notice must be given by an Employer to an employee before Termination of his contract. That also applies when an Employee wants to stop working for an employer. Unless the employee disobeyed lawful order or engaged in fraudulent activities or any other act which can lead to his contract determined by another form of Determination called Dismissal. so this employer is entitled to her Notice or salary in lieu of Notice.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by ogbs2020love: 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
if you are in ONITSHA ANAMBRA STATE,you can come and work for me. send me an email.
Ogbs2020love@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by tiredface: 2:18pm On Jan 24, 2016
IT ALL DEPENDS SIR. YOUR EMPLOYER DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE A REASON FOR YOUR TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT. TERMINATING WITHOUT NOTICE COULD MEAN FOR JUST CAUSE. AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT MAY CONSTITUTE A JUST CAUSE IS UNSATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE WHICH YOUR EMPLOYER CAN BE ADDED TO YOUR CASE DURING LITIGATION AND OR TRIAL. THINK VERY WELL WHETHER YOU JOB IS WORTH FIGHING FOR AND THEN TALK TO AN ATTORNEY AND I SINCERELY WISH YOU WELL
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Realret70: 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2016
Oga, pls go look for work somewhere no be by force to work for them na, work dey everywhere the good part of it is that u have gone to school
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Orlarmie(m): 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2016
OP.....i feel so bad reading what you went through in the hands of that wicked woman.I called her wicked because I went through the same thing that happened to you,only that I left before I was sacked. In my own case...the heartless woman insults me anyhow,tells me am crazy, says to me that I will not last in the company. I was a head of department in my former company before a took a position as a subordinate to her. I pray you get another job soon..GIVE YOUR APPOINTMENT LETTER to a lawyer for honest advise. Wake up every morning and curse the he'll out of that woman till you get tired even if it will take you 15years
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Phargbemmy(m): 2:23pm On Jan 24, 2016
So we should just forget it and move on.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by abimbawealth(f): 2:24pm On Jan 24, 2016
Your boss read one of your posts on NL, and yet again, you've done the same...ok
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by baby124: 2:31pm On Jan 24, 2016
Send in a letter copying HR, CEO, COO and the overall head of your department. Detail all that happened. Make sure you have an accurate record and copy of your report to HR. Just for posterity sake and for them to know what kind of terrible employee they have there. She may be reserving the job for someone else. Just make sure you write an honest letter and register your dissatisfaction with your termination in a professional and responsible way. Since you held your job for 2months. I think you should move on quickly and not dwell on the job. Don't include them in your CV.
As a hopeful future employer and CEO I would want to know if any employee is sabotaging the talent pool at my organization and will investigate such employee thoroughly, and in fact I would support you to sue such employee personally for harassment ig need be. She is an employee like you, and should be made to face the heat for what she has done to you, whether you are there or not.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Inioluwa01(m): 2:35pm On Jan 24, 2016
Orlarmie:
OP.....i feel so bad reading what you went through in the hands of that wicked woman.I called her wicked because I went through the same thing that happened to you,only that I left before I was sacked. In my own case...the heartless woman insults me anyhow,tells me am crazy, says to me that I will not last in the company. I was a head of department in my former company before a took a position as a subordinate to her. I pray you get another job soon..GIVE YOUR APPOINTMENT LETTER to a lawyer for honest advise. [/b]Wake up every morning and curse the he'll out of that woman till you get tired even if it will take you 15years[b]
shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. / What Was Your Childhood Dream, did you achieve it? / Obiano To Pay New Minimum Wage In July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.