Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,791 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason (18355 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / I Was Slapped By My Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by akeensbussy(m): 2:37pm On Jan 24, 2016
Don't sue her or do anything funny...Do not take revenge.
Let me share my story with you. In 2010, I got a job as IT administrator with Dana Group. The Guy I met there treated me badly, he refused to put me through on certain grey area. He would mock me to our boss that I didn't know the job etc. After 3 months of working there, I got sacked for a wrong reason. Someone came to work on the COO printer, and the guy broke some part part of it and also dirty the printer, when he wanted to return it, my boss asked me to lead the printer man to the COO office.

When the COO saw the printer, he started shouting at the guy but because is an Indian man, the guy shouted back at him and they raining abuses on each other. I persuaded the guy to stop it but the guy will not listen. The COO just faced me and said "so, you are laughing" I said no sir am not and immediately, he said u are sacked. He called my immediate boss and told him to prepare my sack letter. Staffs pitied me and said they will beg on my behalf but I said no that God is about to do something great that was why it happened.

Behold, three months later, I got another at Ikeja times 3 the salary I was earning at Dana Group. Today, God has lifted me up than imagine. My brother, something great is about to happen to u. You will laugh last. You just watch it.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Originalsly: 2:47pm On Jan 24, 2016
Didn't you find out from HR through reason for your termination?
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Greatzeus(m): 3:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
OK another "Sue my employer story" how many people have you met or read about that sue their employers successfully in Naija?
That's what it means to be an employee,you can loose the job at any time especially private companies.It's not your father's company,you are requesting for a reason?please,what if the boss said he wants to Employ one of his children in your place,is that enough reason for you.People have been loosing jobs in private establishment since God knows when,you are not the first,and you wont be the last,brace yourself cool
There might be people reading this post that sack letters are waiting for tomorrow morning grin that's salary work for you
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by alfajohn: 3:28pm On Jan 24, 2016
Generally there is no redress for termination of employment cause you can not force an employee on an unwilling employer and vice versa. Look at it this way if you had resigned what would they have done.? So it is within the right of either party to terminate the contract.The only thing they are liable for is to give notice as specified in the employment letter or pay salary in lieu of notice.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by hope4nigeria(m): 4:06pm On Jan 24, 2016
D battle is not urs bro... Present it b4 d Lord and watch...
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Titugirl(f): 4:40pm On Jan 24, 2016
OP, To my mind, your employer does not have any obligation to give you reasons for terminating your appointment.
In the case of Chukwuma v. Shell Petroleum Development Co. Nig. Ltd. The Supreme Court Held inter alia that The circumstances in which the employment was terminated, such reasons like malice, caprice, or the inconveniences he may have suffered are irrelevant and cannot be taken into consideration so long as the termination is in accordance with the terms of the contract.
However, your employer owes you the duty of giving you a Notice or Payment of Salary in Lieu of Notice. My Advice therefore is that in bringing an action against your Employer, it should be based on the fact that you were not given any Notice or Paid Salary in Lieu of Notice before your appointment was Terminated.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by salvation77177: 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
Before you think of taking any legal action make sure you go through your condition of service and read what it says. You are only 2 months on the job. It may be you are still on probation. In that case your appointment is yet to be confirmed. If this is your case, do not bother to take any legal action; you may not win.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by pstboi: 7:08pm On Jan 24, 2016
Maruf05:
I think u av right to take legal action against the unscrupulous termination of your appointment. don't jst back down provided u were not appointed through the back door. why seeking redress? is it his father company or his own company. the owner said i don't need your services again , just go home and plan for your life and build your own dream because u have been building another mans dream. angry

lalasticlala help d Op
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by call4shola(m): 9:04pm On Jan 24, 2016
Nice comment, female bosses can be difficult, I worked with one that said she was planning how i will get sacked, she got fired 3 weeks later after I went down on me kneels to pray to my God. @ poster If you have the financial muscle to sue the company, you can give it a trial or better just pray to God to give you you own job that will give you peace of mind. Stay blessed.

VampireeM:
Sincerely I do wonder why most of we Females are Evil.. She reminds me of my previous female boss... They will tell you they ve nothing against you meanwhile behind you they say and hatch all sort nonsense...

If you ve the will to sue her please do but meanwhile you can leave everything in God's hands and believe she has paved way for you to get to a higher and better place.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by nkakp(m): 10:29pm On Jan 24, 2016
That's the same thing am passing thru in hands of my line manager Wic is lady....
samguru:
My fellow Nairalanders please what should I do?

I was fired on Thursday and no reason was stated in the termination of appointment letter.

Should I go to industrial court to seek redress or write the management to ask the reason why my appointment was terminated, because throughout my 2 months stay in the company I did not receive any notice of warning neither was involved in any fraud case.

Please what should I do?

I was employed as a subordinate under the head of a department in November last year,meanwhile before resigning my appointment in my former place of work,I was the head of the same department.

Right from day one in the new workplace,she started making my work difficult, she did not give me proper orientation and failed to attach me to a trainer,as a matter of fact she said to me and I quote " you should learn how to use company software in two days, in short you should be on your own in three days"

Everyday she makes life horrible for me, she hauls insults at me as If I was a greenhorn in the field. infact there was a day she said I was looking like a slowpoke, that I am too slow for her liking.
A month and some weeks later in the employment,she said she has done her assessment and submitted,that I scored zero in every area,that the fresh graduates perform better than me.

At that point,I sensed she was seeing me as a threat and for peace to reign,I called and tried to pacify her,she said she does not have anything against me.

and being new in the system, I have to learn how to use the software and office procedures,but this madam does not have soft spot for me on small mistakes,she always say this' you don't know anything you better go back to your former place of work'.
I got fed up and reported the matter to the HR,I was told to be patient with her and asked if I wanted redeployment which I said yes.

She relegated me to the state of nonentity by attaching me to an intern( to be assisting an intern).

When my appointment was terminated on Thursday, I was told to go and do clearance, to my amazement when I took my clearance form to her, she was not sympathetic at all rather she said "so fast" and signed instantly.

I knew my sack was orchestrated by her and I want justice for her wicked act.

please how should I go about it?

Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Maloforever(m): 6:13am On Jan 25, 2016
Visit the legal aid council in your state.
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Ballotelle(m): 2:16pm On Nov 26, 2023
TheMainMan:
from the little experience have gathered so far from HRM which says...

A employer must have a good reason for dismissal and a dismissal must be carried out fairly, otherwise the employee may have a personal grievance claim against the employer....

Bro.. U are a star.. As someone said let this be a steppin for u to step up to greater heights.. Sueing them is a waste of time and money.. And even if u eventually win the case.. I cn assure u that u wont be convenient there and they cn always find another means to get u out....

Forget it bro and move on.. just see it as one of those experience u have to pass thru to get to the top.. All is well...
We should allow evil to persist ?
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Ballotelle(m): 2:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
stonecoldcafe:

So sorry. Don't waste ur penny on court; just go back to searching for jobs. I'm sure your reporting to HR was the one that did you in. Next time report her to God and blast MFM type prayers on her head... Die, die, die, all my enemies fall down and die, confusion, confusion, confusionnnnnnnnnnn!
Physical things should be done physically, spiritual things taken spiritually, u can stil complement, but not ignoring the physical in this instance
Re: I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason by Ballotelle(m): 2:21pm On Nov 26, 2023
dROC1:
This all sounds like a one-man business where proper organisational processes are lacking.
Clearly, the woman had it in for you from the get-go and she did all she could to make you appear redundant.

I have learnt how necessary it is to research the organisational culture of the potential company which you intend to gain employment in and then make an informed decision before leaving your present company.
I think you can go ahead and sue if you have the time and resources but dont expect much to come out of it; Rather focus more on moving on to your next great job.
When I and my colleague were let go from our first job in 2009, my colleague fought it and refused to move on. As for me I left a day earlier than the termination date and left everything to God while improving my skills and writing other job applications.
Long story short, I landed another job with 5 times my previous pay 2 months later. I later found my way back into the company 2 years later as a superior to all the people who fired me (though in another department) while my colleague fought the company and lost 2 years in the process.

This could just be a blessing in disguise depending on how you react to it.
Please what's the outcome of the court of that colleague of yours

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates. / What Was Your Childhood Dream, did you achieve it? / Obiano To Pay New Minimum Wage In July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.