Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,954 members, 7,952,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:16 AM

Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City (3035 Views)

Panama Papers: Bukola Saraki Under Pressure After Leak - Newsweek International / Building Sealed By EFCC In Wuse 2 Abuja Is Not GTB Property / Buhari Arrives London On Charm Offensive - Newsweek London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by AloyEmeka9: 9:10am On Jun 27, 2009
World's Most Expensive Cities 2009

No. 18 Abuja, Nigeria
2008 rank: 16

Movie ticket: $10.37
Quick lunch: $24.68
Washing machine: $669.38
Kilo of rice: $7.79
Can of soft drink: $1.77
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/06/0615_most_expensive_cities/19.htm
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by Tudor6(f): 9:23am On Jun 27, 2009
Lets clap for yar'adua!
*applause*
if he can make abuja 18 most expensive city surely a 7 point agenda is childs play
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by Kobojunkie: 1:11pm On Jun 27, 2009
I am not exactly sure how this is considered an honor, I mean being one of the most expensive cities in the world,
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by Tudor6(f): 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2009
Me too
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by blacksta(m): 4:50pm On Jun 27, 2009
Expensive city dont mean shit where poverty is about 90% of the population. One of the major reason Abuja is thriving cause of the stolen loot that is easily circulating.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by 2Legit2Qui: 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2009
They are sad because Nigeria has been mentioned again.

blacksta:

Expensive city dont mean shit where poverty is about 90% of the population. One of the major reason Abuja is thriving cause of the stolen loot that is easily circulating.

Another meaningless comparison.

Have you lived in Abuja to confirm if those figures are true- of course they are not true - even in Transcorp Hilton, those prices are over exagerated. Even in Grand Square - the topmost shopping mall in Abuja, there is no washing machine sold for $669.38. Come on, not everything you read online or somewhere like that is absolutely correct, I hate people who just jump into conclusions.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by idupaul: 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2009
if Abuja is expensive then what do u call Shylock Lagos?
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by blacksta(m): 5:01pm On Jun 27, 2009
I dont have to live in abuja to know whether it is expensive or not - can u please tell me the cost of staying at hilton for a night ?
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by SapeleGuy: 5:31pm On Jun 27, 2009
Being the most expensive city or the 18th most expensive city in the world is not a source of pride, especially when the money used to build that city helped to impoverish other parts of the country

Please tell us about things that will improve the lot of the ordinary people not the kleptocrats.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by 2Legit2Qui: 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2009
Some people cant see beyond their nose. Where in Abuja do they sell washing machine for 669.38?

I want someone to prove this to me, I live in Abuja and I have shopped almost every top shop.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by Tudor6(f): 6:03pm On Jun 27, 2009
Are washing machines all of the same price?
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by AloyEmeka9: 7:27pm On Jun 27, 2009
blacksta:

I dont have to live in abuja to know whether it is expensive or not  - can u please tell me the cost of staying at hilton for a night ?
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by AloyEmeka9: 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2009
2Legit2Qui:

Some people cant see beyond their nose. Where in Abuja do they sell washing machine for 669.38?

I want someone to prove this to me, I live in Abuja and I have shopped almost every top shop.
Do you have a washing machine at home?
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by AloyEmeka9: 7:31pm On Jun 27, 2009
idupaul:

if Abuja is expensive then what do u call Shylock Lagos?
Lagos is one of the cheapest cities to live in Nigeria. Things are cheap and there is always a place for people in your economic and social class to live. Take a trip to PH and you go understand. I used to think that PH is more expensive to live than Abuja.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by 2Legit2Qui: 7:38pm On Jun 27, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Do you have a washing machine at home?

No, I dont have. Come and buy for me. Poor folk. Washing machine is now a luxury in your eye of eyes? Sorry for you o. Not only do I have a washing machine, I have a dryer, do you know what that is? I say point me to where they sell washing machine that much in Abuja, and as usual, he attacks me by asking a very useless question, do I have a washing machine at home? Do I have to have a washing machine to know the price of one? Bring your head if I wont wash it clean inside my washing machine.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by AloyEmeka9: 7:42pm On Jun 27, 2009
Guy, I just asked a question and you lost it. grin grin grin Do you have water and light to run your washing machine at home?
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by Afaukwu: 8:11pm On Jun 27, 2009
This is bad news.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by Tudor6(f): 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2009
No, this is the worst news
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by biggjoe(m): 9:50pm On Jun 27, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

World's Most Expensive Cities 2009

Can of soft drink: $1.77

what kind of soft drink are they referring to here? Fanta or Red Bull? grin

Those figures arent real, unless you havent been to Abuja.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by bawomolo(m): 10:22pm On Jun 27, 2009
softdrink for about 200 naira?

what the hell happened to the price of my pepsi orobo grin
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by AloyEmeka9: 7:12pm On Jun 28, 2009
They probably bought one at Nicon Noga.
Re: Newsweek: Abuja Is The 18th World's Most Expensive City by walakolobo: 7:19pm On Jun 28, 2009
Those figures are stupidly un real. Only Nigerians who are far from home will ever beleive or those who lives in the villages, the remote part of Nigeria and those who live outside Nigeria and dont have means of travelling home. Very false alarm. Even if they bought at Nicon, where very many people go to relax after a hard day's work, it cant be as expensive as that. Anyone who beleives those figures must have his head washed in bar beach water. Even if they sell in Hilton at that price, is that how to determine expensive cities? Bull crap.

Lets say they bought in one or two places, lets say eatries or joints or high class hotels, is that an indication that the city is expensive to live in?

(1) (Reply)

Describe Candidate Muhammadu Buhari In 1 Word! / Enugu Governor, Chime Dead? / Revolution: See Picture Why By Musiwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.