Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Nigerians Are Lazy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Lazy (13590 Views)

Sumner Shagari Sambo At War Zones: "Not All Journalists Are Lazy" / Gov Dickson Was Right, Most Of Rivers And Bayelsa Youth Are Lazy. See Why... / Donald Trump: ''Africans Are Lazy Fools Only Good At Lovemaking And Stealing” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Lazy by FoxyFlow(m): 5:50am On Jan 27, 2016
Just yesterday, there was an argument in the department between a bunch of us. The topic was about the laziness of Nigerians. While most of my coursemates were of the opinion that Nigerians are lazy, I was of the opposite. They stated reasons to back up their points. From the fact that they see beggars on the road to those who sleep under bridges. They even went ahead to use the school and department as examples.

I was perplexed. Nobody was helping me out. I brought arguments but they were rebuffed. How on earth will someone look at Nigeria and Nigerians as a whole and classify us as lazy. Yes, we have people in government who are giving the institution a bad name. From the inception of democracy till date. But I know that lazyness does not synomnise with Nigerians.

This could be aptly seen in the way Nigerians go about surviving everyday. Yes, we might have one or two beggars on the street but it takes perseverance to bear the cruel sun, skills to bandage your hands and talent to appeal to the emotions of other Nigerians.

Why blame the people for their laziness? A point was made about how Aliko Dangote started his company from the scratch. I countered it by naming his uncle as the sponsor. How many Nigerians have rich uncles who are willing to loan them such huge amount of money? Because the money given to our own Aliko Dangote then is ten times its value now. They mentioned bank loans, I countered with the inaccessibility of funds by an average Nigerian. They said work for someone, I asked where the job is.

When an opening was made for the driver trainee stuff in Dangote's company, we all heard it. He came out on news and pointed out that doctors and professors were vying for positions as drivers. Is that not pitiable? We churn out graduates from our higher institutions yearly yet jobs are not forthcoming yet you say Nigerians are lazy.

This is not the time to start blaming the government. This is not the time to blames the elite masses, this is not the time to blame America and other western powers. They are not our creators. This is a time to sit and reflect. Does prosperity really come with hardwork? If yes, why then do we have poor people in Nigeria especially in the rural areas?

These people work their bones to feed Nigeria and Nigerians yet after years they have nothing to show for it. The only time you see cars and trucks in their villages is when there is a need to transport farm produce. These are also bought cheaply or putting it rightly, the farmers are ripped off. Then you come here and tell me Nigerians are lazy.

Look at your dad in the eye and tell him he is lazy. You will be surprised when he would tell you his life history. All of his hardwork and where he presently is. No blame games, I am leaving the government out of this and I am also leaving the elites out of this. I am only screaming on top of my lungs that Nigerians are not lazy.

Please, when next you see a man begging on the street or sleeping in his shop, do not attribute it to laziness. Ask him his story before drawing a conclusion.

Bless your souls.

By

Joseph Success

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by LEOSIRSIR(m): 5:51am On Jan 27, 2016
Hummm
Aal z well grin
Another FTC today
wink
Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by FoxyFlow(m): 6:04am On Jan 27, 2016
Mod please do the needful...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by gabinogem(m): 6:13am On Jan 27, 2016
Our problem in Nigeria is not laziness, but self discipline, the Willpower to do what is appropriate is lacking. Self discipline comes with self-love & understanding. Once those two ingredients are present, then we are good to go.

19 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by BobUg28(m): 9:20am On Jan 27, 2016
Succinctly written, Though this remains your own opinion. But before anyone should say that Nigerians are Lazy, first of all, they have to define LAZINESS , ascertain the number or percentage of people who fall within the definition of laziness. It can't be generalised.

Lalasticlala Good morning, please do the needful this thread will make a good discourse hence it needs a wider view.

Thanks!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by chynie: 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2016
ok u guys are still undergraduates, when u graduate we will know.

lesson: judge not

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by kelvyn7: 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2016
shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by jnrbayano(m): 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2016
I often see Primary and Secondary school children match to betting outlets/shops instead of matching to class.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Jeromejnr(m): 1:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
Actually, it is mental laziness that is worrying most Nigerians.

Most Nigerians might be "working hard" but there is usually nothing to show for it. These times we are in, it's not about working hard but working smart.

We need to be creative and innovative. Most people have skills but are not creative enough with it to either bring them into the limelight or help boost the economy.

E.g I see most bloggers on here, they have the skills or the idea but lack creativity.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jan 27, 2016
Agreed
Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by coldsummer: 1:01pm On Jan 27, 2016
Bs
Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by joseph1832(m): 1:02pm On Jan 27, 2016
Only a narrow minded mind will come up with a general statement and say Nigerians are lazy.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by xtophy(m): 1:03pm On Jan 27, 2016
IF I WERE YOU, MR OP... I WOULD NEVER ARGUE TOO LONG WITH FOOLS because YOU MIGHT ALSO TURN TO BE ONE. 2016, MY YEAR OF RESISTING BLIND ARGUMENTS

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by crazygod(m): 1:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
Let me give you an example. I'm a Nigerian and I purposely didn't read ur epistle cos I want to proof to you that Nigerians are lazy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Ayo25: 1:05pm On Jan 27, 2016
Your undergraduate mates would soon be done with schooling. Then we will know how hardworking they are.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by peacengine(m): 1:05pm On Jan 27, 2016
Our problem is our elders

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
crazygod:
Let me give you an example. I'm a Nigerian and I purposely didn't read ur epistle cos I want to proof to you that Nigerians are lazy.
Bro you've killed me lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by OmichaelO: 1:06pm On Jan 27, 2016

if I hear

Most Nigerians are hardworking, Even the so called lazy ones are doing something to make money E.g Beggar,Scammers etc

Don't get me wrong I'm not supporting them, but would you call someone doing something to make money Legal or illegal lazy?

as long as he's making ends meet.

My Favorite Lazy Quote: I am not lazy, the rest of you are just too hardworking

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by ShakurM(m): 1:07pm On Jan 27, 2016
If I am given an award for laziness, I would call someone to pick it up , I cannot come and go and kill myself away grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by nani212(m): 1:07pm On Jan 27, 2016
Nigerians are not lazy. Go to other countries especially the western countries and see how well Nigerians there are doing. The problem lies with the Nigerian government. They have not been able to provide a condusive environment for well meaning and hard working Nigerians to excel. When that happens, you would be amazed at the rate Nigeria will transform to a much better place.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by jhydebaba(m): 1:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
Some Nigerians are lazy no doubt while most Nigerians are hard working.

End of story

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by kcynho(m): 1:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
[size=15pt] if u knw d poplation in dis country u go knw say 2 b HARDWORKING hz to mean robbing 1 anoda,we too plenty!!!! [/size]
Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by JigsawKillah(m): 1:11pm On Jan 27, 2016
crazygod:

You are lazy. You are Nigerian, not Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Kelvin0(m): 1:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
q
Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by judedwriter(m): 1:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
Jeromejnr:
Actually, it is mental laziness that is worrying most Nigerians.

Most Nigerians might be "working hard" but there is usually nothing to show for it. These times we are in, it's not about working hard but working smart.

We need to be creative and innovative. Most people have skills but are not creative enough with it to either bring them into the limelight or help boost the economy.

E.g I see most bloggers on here, they have the skills or the idea but lack creativity.
exactly-many hard working nigerians r poor-it is creativity not just hard work that makes rich. Let's not forget the spiritual angle as well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Nicepoker(m): 1:16pm On Jan 27, 2016
Most of them are from the waste
Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 27, 2016
sadNigerians are not lazy.......
Like a proverb says: Obo nlagun irun ara e ni ko je ka mo.... i.e monkey dey sweat na d hair no let us know......
Talk of Nigerian dads, mums, uncles,aunts,brothers,sisters,married coupled,youths,elders,student etc no one stays idle again..... Everyone wants to work just to make ends meet but where the work??

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 27, 2016
The first reasonable post on NL since the beginning of 2016.

MOST NIGERIANS ARE NOT LAZY!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by banmee(m): 1:20pm On Jan 27, 2016
FoxyFlow:
Just yesterday, there was an argument in the department between a bunch of us. The topic was about the laziness of Nigerians. While most of my coursemates were of the opinion that Nigerians are lazy, I was of the opposite. They stated reasons to back up their points. From the fact that they see beggars on the road to those who sleep under bridges. They even went ahead to use the school and department as examples.

I was perplexed. Nobody was helping me out. I brought arguments but they were rebuffed. How on earth will someone look at Nigeria and Nigerians as a whole and classify us as lazy. Yes, we have people in government who are giving the institution a bad name. From the inception of democracy till date. But I know that lazyness does not synomnise with Nigerians.

This could be aptly seen in the way Nigerians go about surviving everyday. Yes, we might have one or two beggars on the street but it takes perseverance to bear the cruel sun, skills to bandage your hands and talent to appeal to the emotions of other Nigerians.

Why blame the people for their laziness? A point was made about how Aliko Dangote started his company from the scratch. I countered it by naming his uncle as the sponsor. How many Nigerians have rich uncles who are willing to loan them such huge amount of money? Because the money given to our own Aliko Dangote then is ten times its value now. They mentioned bank loans, I countered with the inaccessibility of funds by an average Nigerian. They said work for someone, I asked where the job is.

When an opening was made for the driver trainee stuff in Dangote's company, we all heard it. He came out on news and pointed out that doctors and professors were vying for positions as drivers. Is that not pitiable? We churn out graduates from our higher institutions yearly yet jobs are not forthcoming yet you say Nigerians are lazy.

This is not the time to start blaming the government. This is not the time to blames the elite masses, this is not the time to blame America and other western powers. They are not our creators. This is a time to sit and reflect. Does prosperity really come with hardwork? If yes, why then do we have poor people in Nigeria especially in the rural areas?

These people work their bones to feed Nigeria and Nigerians yet after years they have nothing to show for it. The only time you see cars and trucks in their villages is when there is a need to transport farm produce. These are also bought cheaply or putting it rightly, the farmers are ripped off. Then you come here and tell me Nigerians are lazy.

Look at your dad in the eye and tell him he is lazy. You will be surprised when he would tell you his life history. All of his hardwork and where he presently is. No blame games, I am leaving the government out of this and I am also leaving the elites out of this. I am only screaming on top of my lungs that Nigerians are not lazy.

Please, when next you see a man begging on the street or sleeping in his shop, do not attribute it to laziness. Ask him his story before drawing a conclusion.

Bless your souls.

By

Joseph Success

Nigerians are not lazy. The only problem is they are constantly hard at work running around in circles without achieving anything. It is akin to a man vigorously pouring water in a basket, sweating profusely in the mid day sun. You try to tell him that what he's doing it is wrong and he'll look at you like you are the crazy one.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Lazy by okine4real: 1:22pm On Jan 27, 2016
If you want to accept, acept it from me, Nigerians are lazy. We like sitting down in the office with a Laptop in front of a desk, and you would be paid, 150k to 500k. Some are paid 35k. The fact is, with even 100k you can start a biz which would fetch you minimum of 300k monthly guaranteed am not kidding. Lots of people would say its not possible, the fact is business is secret. Lots of people got internet on the phone, what they do with it? They whatsapp, facebook, twitter etc. whereas you can discover lots of business online that you can start. by the time we Nigerians starts working hard, hustling we would not know hungry. Someone was saying Dangote's Uncle lend some money to start a business, humm let me show you kids from rich home, this kids can spend 6m on cars yet if you give them that same 6m to start a business, they would end up squandering the cash. The fact i always tell people is, money can not give you money, its knowledge that gives you money. Acquire knowledge and i guarantee you, wealth would chase you. Dont make the mistake,i never said acquire skill, you might have skill but got know knowledge. But with knowledge you are filled with skill, managerial skill etc.....

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Orders Massive Importation Of Kerosene, Say Marketers / PDP Threatens To Sue Kano Government For Stopping Rally / Akpabio Appoints Jackson Udom As His New Chief Press Secretary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.