Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,478 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

"The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy (34858 Views)

Akiolu Accuses Buhari Of Killing Police As Military Dictator / Tom Marino Writes Kerry, Accuses Buhari Of Autocratic Tendencies / Solomon Asemota Accuses Buhari Of Appointing Islamist Jihadists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Reference(m): 8:42am On Jan 29, 2016
benpedro:
The foreign investors will just come, look at the fixed official rate and the parallel price of a dollar to naira and shake their head.what an unserious bunch of black asses.And please all these politicians here including the president himself should abstain from discussing the economy because most of them have little or no clue about basic economics.The VALUE of a currency DOES NOT depend on your emotions or your dreams of an industrialised nigeria but on the DEMAND of the naira in the money market!The true VALUE of the naira is what is obtainable in the parallel market and not the fixed CBN official rate.There are so many people especially those nigerians living in the diaspora who have lots of foreign currencies(of course their host countries must have devalued their own currency to the dollst)to send but sees the cbn official rate as funny and unserious,hence they will keep their money waiting until the naira is OFFICIALLY devalued which is BOUND to happen sooner or later!I am still waiting to see some of you here supporting this policy that are importers of anything including raw materials or cars who have gotten the dollars easily at the official rate.The price of everything has skyrocketed in the market and the president is saying he don't want to suffer the poor masses smh

Thanks sweetheart. The strength of the CBN lies in the oil majors and right now that arm is as weak as OPEC's influence over oil prices. If the CBN cannot meet demand, IT CANNOT SET RATES.

2 Likes

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Realist2: 8:51am On Jan 29, 2016
What is happening to Nigeria today has Spiritual undertones - John Oyegun.
Believe me today !, BUHARI has a spirit of Poverty,In 1984 Wen Buhari took over, the country was grounded, projects being executed were abandoned, POVERTY Spread to every segment of Nigeria.
Today Buhari as the head is spreading Poverty to every segment of Nigeria, projects are being abandoned, He sees everything as a waste of resources,except his junketing around the globe.
Buhari left Army in 1984/1985 and He became a full Time ( not a part time one) FARMER till 2015, yet he could not be proud of producing over 80 cows, '' his words i took a Loan for my Nomination form'', what a failure !, unlike the the OTTA BABA, who is now exporting billions worth from his farm.

Now Buhari is Spreading his Poverty spirit to all segment of Nigeria again, Nothing in the Country is moving.

1 Like

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by otiigba1(m): 8:51am On Jan 29, 2016
I am stiĺl waiting for the 5000 naira APC promised to give me monthly angry angry

1 Like

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by carboblanko(m): 8:52am On Jan 29, 2016
Wallade:
Devaluation of currency can impact the economy positively in a case whereby the country is productive, this stimulates exports and improves the balance of payment in favor of Nigeria.
Nigeria is highly import driven, we manufacture few products which can't even meet local demand and international standards in most cases.

I have a teaser question for you all that are asking the government to devalue the currency: How does currency devaluation impact the economy positively and translate into positive BOP for Nigeria?
You guys are only advocating devaluation to meet a short term need for FOREX and capital inflow. Mind you, the bulk of the capital inflow you will get from foreign investors will be working capital inflow. If the foreign investors are so keen on the Nigerian market, they should invest in production and manufacturing plants, human capital development and skill acquisition to enable complete production of goods and services locally for the local and export to international market.

Imports restrictions and bans is one of the measures to compel Nigerians to produce local goods and services to meet local demand at least and perhaps export to international market. With time, local manufacturers will perfect the production and meet international standards to ensure acceptability of Nigerian made goods in international markets, especially highly standardized markets.

You may be surprised that I believe in these policies introduced by the government. The only problem I have is with the CBN governor going back and forth on some policies thus giving the impression that it isn't decisive, well informed and planned.

God help Nigeria.
Spot on. And the hard part is to curb our appetite for frivolous imports. Can you imagine that we were once the second highest consumers of expensive champagne in the world? Is that not insane for a country that produces almost nothing? Now reality has set in. And you are right. Why are the so called foreign investors not putting their money in the real sector like manufacturing and agriculture? The would rather invest for quick returns that add no value to the economy.

1 Like

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by kaypling(m): 9:08am On Jan 29, 2016
igala1:
Monetary policies are designed by CBN while government channels fiscal policies. As an investor in the real sector or oil&gas sector. If I'm hoping to invest say $1m then I don't have to mount pressure or dictate to my host country its rate. I'd exchange $1:N200 at CBN rate, make my business proposals with my end users to include changes in FX. I.e I'd add my profit margin plus any change in FX in my contract. With that serious investors are not bothered about their returns on investment. What is most important to investors is TRUST. Can my business be protected by the country laws? Would my business environment be secured? Are there trainable manpower from their institutions? Commerce and Industry impacts on the economy with above strategies while "Traders" are hit & run always wanting to reap before sowing.

20,000 thumbs up for this! People are mixing traders with investors. What real investors are looking at if they're money is safe in our country. They're looking at political stability. They're looking at a government that's not only interested in satisfying their cronies. This is why investors are happy Buhari is allowing the contracts in the power industry stand despite the complaints and evidences that it was done by who you know. What investors are interested in, is not all that Western Union and black market like what all these guys are saying. Nigeria needs investors that want to invest in Nigeria, not quick come and sell traders. Devaluation is instantly going to make us poorer, no company is going to raise wages. Poverty isn't attractive to investors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Chitumu: 9:12am On Jan 29, 2016
NavierStokes:

Please bro take a look at the last sentence.
u copied and pasted the last paragraph from a random comment from the original NL topic. Ineffectual buffon defender u no try all cuz i got you busted
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 29, 2016
Why exactly was the title of this thread changed?
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 29, 2016
Why exactly was the title of the article changed?

1 Like

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by chuksmad(m): 9:30am On Jan 29, 2016
ellechrystal:

My dear, they don't understand, each tym I try to explain to certain peeps I get stunned by their ignorant responses.
Illiteracy n lack of study is becoming a huge mess in Nigeria compared to corruption itself. I don tire . some people don't read, n even if they do, comprehension is another huge problem, or they try to twist it to suit what's in their brain.
Very few ladies reason like you, both beauty and brain. Keep it up
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by ellechrystal(f): 9:34am On Jan 29, 2016
chuksmad:

Very few ladies reason like you, both beauty and brain. Keep it up
Thanks luv
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by 989900: 9:35am On Jan 29, 2016
Are you ready to pay north of N120/litre for PMS; if you are, are others ready?

And that is just one item. Have you thought about the ripple effect?

I wonder where you guys get the impression: devaluing automatically brings in investors.

A stable government, security, and an enabling environment is what gingers real-long-term investors -- not your fly-by-night investors.

I witnessed retirees in the late 80s with fixed deposits ( which by the way, was all their life savings) have their sweat turned to toilet paper in the blink of an eye; to the advantage of 'foreign investors' who's tangible effect we've not felt even some 30 years on upon devaluation upon devaluation.

Folks with roughly N20,000 ($15-$20,000) had their life earnings reduced in an instant to less than 10% ($1,300).

It was more difficult for retirees and older folks. Some of them professors and e.t.c. had to leave the country with their families, starting all over again -- looking for greener pastures at 60 (greener pastures they didn't fancy at 30)! And those were even the lucky ones!

Wonder why countries in North America and Europe who propose these ideas do not devalue their own currencies that crazily if it is such a good thing even though they are export giants, even though they have a strong competition from currency-manipulating China.

We do not have a multi trillion dollar export economy like China or Japan?

Hell, we don't even have stable power supply, access to loans, infrastructure, anything resembling an enabling environment -- we can't even refine our own fuel -- we spend trillions of Naira importing refined products and we think devaluing like those countries will work for Nigeria?
#fixtherefineries #stopimportingrefinedfuel #fixpowersupply

I posted these articles a while back:

https://www.nairaland.com/2630715/how-naira-devaluation-impoverish-nigeria

https://www.nairaland.com/2573929/poison-further-devaluation-naira

The effect naira devaluation will have on Nigeria

In reality, N400=$1 exchange rate will reduce the current minimum wage to less than $50 per month! Thus, a minimum wage earner, may have to work 2×10 hour shifts every day to earn the income required to maintain his old consumption pattern before devaluation, unless he receives a commensurate wage increase! Similarly, all other higher income earners, and their savings, would also lose up to 50 per cent of the dollar value of their incomes, while all equity in the stock market will suffer the same fate if the dollar appreciates to N400=$1. In plain language, we would all be poorer!

So, in essence, naira devaluation was and remains bad news that portends social and economic dislocations and deepening poverty; evidently, our trajectory in the last 30 years bears ample testimony to this reality.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by yaki84: 9:39am On Jan 29, 2016
ellechrystal:
Ok na, very soon they will also give him a name or insult him. Sometime they can be really unprofessional,by the way, the policies by the present administration is a complete disaster, n may end up destroying the economy. I ve never seen.

at the end the economist wont see anything to write abt nigeria's economy cos they dont do politics.
duara dull ard wakeup from this kunu sipping.
I knw say u don old n it doesnt matter to u if nigeria becomes zimbabwe or greece.
wake up.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by 989900: 9:39am On Jan 29, 2016
kaypling:

20,000 thumbs up for this! People are mixing traders with investors. What real investors are looking at if they're money is safe in our country. They're looking at political stability. They're looking at a government that's not only interested in satisfying their cronies. This is why investors are happy Buhari is allowing the contracts in the power industry stand despite the complaints and evidences that it was done by who you know. What investors are interested in, is not all that Western Union and black market like what all these guys are saying. Nigeria needs investors that want to invest in Nigeria, not quick come and sell traders. Devaluation is instantly going to make us poorer, no company is going to raise wages. Poverty isn't attractive to investors

Exactly!
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by ellechrystal(f): 9:40am On Jan 29, 2016
yaki84:

at the end the economist wont see anything to write abt nigeria's economy cos they dont do politics.
duara dull ard wakeup from this kunu sipping.
I knw say u don old n it doesnt matter to u if nigeria becomes zimbabwe or greece.
wake up.
Lmaooo
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by 989900: 9:42am On Jan 29, 2016
Emefiele should go after the banks involved in racketeering and broad-day-light robbery -- well, I guess they are all in bed together!
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Biafrarep(m): 9:45am On Jan 29, 2016
grandstar:

I doubt he will devalue snd if he devalues. it will be far from market expectations. His belief is that those who patronize the black market are either unpatriotic or are buying luxuries. They therefore are none of his business.Only his party can stand up to him. This will only be done when push comes to shove
Yes, he will certainly devalue to the region of maybe 250/280 but the black market will get to 500 before the end of second quarter of this year!
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by yaki84: 9:45am On Jan 29, 2016
Bevista:
I would beg to disagree that the expansionary budget is "wrongly praised". It is exactly what is needed to invest in infrastructure and other parts of the economy with a view to diversifying government revenue. How else do you want government to plan for future revenue in the face of falling oil prices.
---
But, yes, the administration FX Policy is so out of sync with economic realities. Extremely poor from Emefiele & PMB.

so u mean d 500billion budgetted for school feeding is part of development?
is it not few people that will benefit from the contract?
why not empower the families of these kids to feed their cchildren and also puttng money in their pocket....
hw much is budgetted for agriculture n solid minerals? compare to the budget of frivolities in aso rock n ministry of misinformation.
abeg the expansionary budget is delusional n it will only benefit the elites nothing more.

3 Likes

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by 989900: 9:47am On Jan 29, 2016
yaki84:

why not empower the families of these kids to feed their cchildren and also puttng money in their pocket....
hw much is budgetted for agriculture n solid minerals? compare to the budget of frivolities in aso rock n ministry of misinformation.
abeg the expansionary budget is delusional n it will only benefit the elites nothing more.

Thoughtful points.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by yaki84: 9:48am On Jan 29, 2016
Bevista:
I would beg to disagree that the expansionary budget is "wrongly praised". It is exactly what is needed to invest in infrastructure and other parts of the economy with a view to diversifying government revenue. How else do you want government to plan for future revenue in the face of falling oil prices.
---
But, yes, the administration FX Policy is so out of sync with economic realities. Extremely poor from Emefiele & PMB.

they talked abt employing 100,000 police personnel this yr but I bet u it isnt captured in the budget, even the 500,000 teachers they r planning to recruit, am very sure it isnt captured in the budget.
it is one thing budgetting trillions n making vague n bogus budget but the main thing is its implementation!
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by perrychemical: 10:02am On Jan 29, 2016
Realist2:
Believe me today !, BUHARI has a spirit of Poverty,In 1984 Wen Buhari took over, the country was grounded, projects being executed were abandoned, POVERTY Spread to every segment of Nigeria.
Today Buhari as the head is spreading Poverty to every segment of Nigeria, projects are being abandoned, He sees everything as a waste of resources,except his junketing around the globe.
Buhari left Army in 1984/1985 and He became a full Time ( not a part time one) FARMER till 2015, yet he could not be proud of producing over 80 cows, '' his words i took a Loan for my Nomination form'', what a failure !, unlike the the OTTA BABA, who is now exporting billions worth from his farm.

Now Buhari is Spreading his Poverty spirit to all segment of Nigeria again, Nothing in the Country is moving.

Nigerians are blindfolded by their inablity to have a common reasoning. We are runing an economy that is not sustaining, that was what Buhari predecessors did. U can't eat your cake and have it, is either Buhari live for today, and we eventually postponed our suffering that will have a great effect on the future.If they tell u that Nigeria's future is bright based on the metrics Jonathan left behind, it was a great lie that can't stands the test of time. Good day.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by perrychemical: 10:10am On Jan 29, 2016
Realist2:

I am not expecting somebody like u to contribute in this forum, becos u are blindfolded by religious believe.What is happening in Naija today has nothing to do with spirituality. God himself is a God of planning and he doesn't believe in mediocity. Stop being mediocre bros, wake up to the reality. Everybody should know that Nigera is heading toward this present state.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by NavierStokes(m): 10:11am On Jan 29, 2016
Chitumu:
u copied and pasted the last paragraph from a random comment from the original NL topic. Ineffectual buffon defender u no try all cuz i got you busted

What is this one talking about undecided
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by Bevista: 10:11am On Jan 29, 2016
yaki84:
So u mean d 500billion budgetted for school feeding is part of development?
So you would rather have the government reduce the bogus budget to N4tn so as to benefit the masses instead of the elites?
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by NavierStokes(m): 10:14am On Jan 29, 2016
babafirst:
SAME ARTICLE BUT DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES but why you no reframe or remix the place where dem call GEJ INEFFECTUAL BABOON,sorry BUFFOON nau?Na dat one be the koko of the mata ,the knockout punch.If you remix ASHEWO by Flavour and you no change the catchword ASHEWO to OLOSHO or something else you never change any perspective......the ex presido is/was an ineffectual buffoon......PERIOD!!!Thanks for 'merixing/remixing' the article but you have only succeeded in spreading the word BUFFOON, ineffectual one for that matter!!And I was almost forgetting the words before this reminder ohhhhh.

Prima Facie, thats how it appears but upon close scrutiny you should realize that the article is primarily against the crude tactics being applied by this administration.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by yaki84: 10:17am On Jan 29, 2016
Bevista:
So you would rather have the government reduce the bogus budget to N4tn so as to benefit the masses instead of the elites?

bro if the senate do thorough job on dat budget, it will reduce to 3trillion naira.
what we hv in dat budget is replication of services. inflating price n budget on some services nothing more.
its not even my issue whether its 7trillion or higher, its implementation is d main thing.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by jaybee(f): 10:22am On Jan 29, 2016
NavierStokes:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21689584-cheap-oil-causing-currency-crisis-nigeria-banning-imports-no

Mods, I hope you will do justice to this as well, will be interesting to see this and the other thread calling Jonathan a "buffoon" go head to head,
Same article but different perspectives

But i thought you wailers said Lai Mohammed wrote the lies and paid the economist to publish it?
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by olaide92(m): 10:22am On Jan 29, 2016
Do you think a white man wud want the best for you? Anyone who's smart enough wud understand this.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by orisa37: 10:24am On Jan 29, 2016
The topic does not relate to the message. And the message is selfish and a fabrication .
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by NavierStokes(m): 10:25am On Jan 29, 2016
jaybee:

But i thought you wailers said Lai Mohammed wrote the lies and paid the economist to publish it?

That's fallacious, you are making a hasty generalization.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by AreaFada2: 10:54am On Jan 29, 2016
chubhiee:

Hope Gbawe is seeing this.

For wia?

Those APC dudes are prone to selective visual impairment and amnesia. grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by chubhiee: 11:05am On Jan 29, 2016
AreaFada2:

For wia?

Those APC dudes are prone to selective visual impairment and amnesia. grin cheesy
They are ruining our democracy with their playing the ostrich approach.
Re: "The Economist" Accuses Buhari Of Worsening Nigeria's Economy by NavierStokes(m): 11:06am On Jan 29, 2016
orisa37:
The topic does not relate to the message. And the message is selfish and a fabrication .

Brother read again and this time go slowly please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Forgery: Senate’s Standing Rules Were Altered – Chief Whip, Adeyeye Confirms / Burial Rites Of Thomas Osen Ekpemupolo, Tompolo's Father Have Commenced (Pics) / Fayose Shows Off His Drumming Skills Because Of Supreme Court Victory(pics,video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.