Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,911 members, 7,814,075 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (48709 Views)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / An Office Cleaner Needed Urgently in Ikeja / Urgent Vacancy - Office Cleaner In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by sauceEEP(m): 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2016
Jarus:

The toilet cleaner in my office will write better English than this, I'm afraid.
Shots fired...
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 4:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
I say again so that people on this thread can know MONACOBULL has not been to the university before.. From your username Monacobull what differentiates you with a Bulldog?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 4:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
For constructive purposes and since i see quite a lot of comments about tips that i can suggest, i will answer thus:

1. Be as calm as possible in an interview. Its not easy, but do your best. Believe it or not during the interview today i had to tell a lady that if it would make her comfortable, she can close her eyes and take a deep breath before answering questions. I'm that nice. smiley

2. Always check the ABOUT US page on a company website before heading there for an interview. More often than not, HR managers have a deep amount of passion for their brand such that when you don't know about it (the company) they feel insulted.

3. Don't take questions way too seriously. Easy does it sometimes. In my experience, most interviews that i aced in the past before my current job, were simply cos i was calm and gave non-complicated answers.

4. In as much as i would have loved to specify on the exact questions that were asked in this interview, i cannot do so as i probably have a few colleagues who also come to this forum. It would not be nice to know our interview was the subject of scrutiny on nairaland, lol. However i can assure you that they were VERY VERY simple.

Enjoy your day.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Mekzmoney(m): 4:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
Point of correction, "some nigerian gradauates" and not "nigerian graduates".
Secondly, D cleaner was favored by God. He might send those itibolibo cheesy that calls themselves graduates so that he would single the cleaner out.
Finally, God sent him his helper by sending that man to speak on his behalf, because we all have helpers in this world, only God can reveal them to us.

So be disappointed by SOME graduates and not all because d way u started, foreigners might think that we're all the same. grin

I pray he should be humble and utilize this opportunity effectively.
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Naija graduates, please get your shit together. angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by nikz(f): 4:40pm On Jan 29, 2016
I think it was the cleaner's time to be favoured by God.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Haywhymido(m): 4:40pm On Jan 29, 2016
When it's ur time, it's ur time. No one can stop u. #dazall
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 4:41pm On Jan 29, 2016
Ochek:

I'm seriously wowed at strength and level of your calmness @ attending to all the beef response on this thread. I wish half of us could exhibit such in handling different ppl from all background and NL plus Nigeria would be a better place.
Tanku

LOL. Thank u smiley

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Bobbyjay001(m): 4:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
Can you see yourself? Even if you want to correct,you do it with love and not hatred or "I better pass".
Do you think all errors that surface,especially with the use of fingers and keyboard are delibrately? Have you ever heard of typographical error,simply called "typo"?
Now check your post and see the silly mistake you made,which a primary school student would have avoided.
The word should have been "claimed" and NOT "claim".
N.B.
Am aiin't perfect but you're equally wrong. Ok?

philomental:

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A "COCK AND BULL" STORY TO ME.

BESIDES YOUR WRITE UP ON THIS POST IS TERRIBLE, for instance you write "im" instead of I'm or I am; also

Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain INSTEAD OF It's taking a lot.... or It is taking a lot....

As the first person singular you are suppose to say "I" but more often you write "i" instead.

Therefore I conclude that if your story is true and you are a graduate too working in "whatever" multi-national you "claim", then YOU NEED TO WORK ON YOURSELF TOO.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 4:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
Monacobull because you got a job as a messenger in a company you think you can console yourself with the SSCE that you have thinking you are better than any Nigerian graduate, better wake up from your sleep!
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by eyennyin: 4:47pm On Jan 29, 2016
Great news for the humble cleaner. As for this poster, by your English, I doubt if you would scale through that interview.

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ephi123(f): 4:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
Jarus:

The toilet cleaner in my office will write better English than this, I'm afraid.

Oga, you too are joining them to lambaste OP shocked Very surprising
What exactly is wrong with what he has written? If we are going to correct, then let us correct constructively, not all these petty jibes.

4 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by latino2swt(m): 4:56pm On Jan 29, 2016
No be 9ja we dey?
Forget the fact say that senior colleague came in from abroad, as long as he was in 9ja at d time of the interview, it could be that the questions was exposed to the cleaner by him in form of HELP.

Though, 9ja graduate wey dey form like Prophet Daniel are nt trying
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by fpeter(f): 4:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
I hope the cleaner decides to get an education, today we also decided to upgrade a cleaner to a staff
reason being that she thought it wise to get herself an education whilst doing her job as a cleaner. The
difference between a rich man and a poor man is just opportunity.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:02pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Did you graduate in Nigeria
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 5:02pm On Jan 29, 2016
Monacobull or Bulldog, they say as goat stand for market na so them dey price am, talking about how a cleaner can outshine all 6 graduates that came show's clearly that where you are working is not comfortable, condusive and dirty that the real Nigerian graduates can't be able to work... So people like you with SSCE and your role model the cleaner can enjoy.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Bobbyjay001(m): 5:03pm On Jan 29, 2016
Can you give me your e.mail address so as to foward my CV sir?
I am not a graduate myself but have a university diploma in Electronics and Computer Engineering and two professional courses to backup my result.
Thanks so much sir.

Achilles2:
When I tell people that being a graduate doesn't make you educated, the feel insulted.

I am not a graduate but at 32 years of age i was made a regional manager of a multinational company .
I have people with higher levels of education and nationality working under me. Your level of education means nothing if you are not mentally and emotional matured

Whenever we conduct interviews, the level of stupidity displayed by the so called graduates is enough to make one commit suicide.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by onoja12: 5:09pm On Jan 29, 2016
i don't know how to put this to you,but i think it is probably you who doesn't know what education means.they are three forms of education.which are formal education(classroom),semi formal education(technical school) and non formal education(experience).it is proven beyond doubt that non formal education is the most powerful form of education.most people in education know this but hide it because it is bad for business.

please be reminded that neither Bill Gate nor Steve Jobs two of the greatest minds of our time have any formal degree.

monacobull:

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by justmenoni: 5:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
Op educational system in Nigeria is not of great quality.... I won't advise against anyone going abroad to further their education...qhen you study abroad you are faced with life challenges as practical projects while in Nigeria you only hv to think about having extra funds at the end of each semester... Our govt really need to refurbish our educational system.

monacobull:

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ojinuocheibi(m): 5:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Funny enough there was NO such restriction. I myself had a 2:2 in school, and still got a job with them. So no excuses here.
what is the interview questions nicompoop?

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Bloggz74(m): 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Funny enough there was NO such restriction. I myself had a 2:2 in school, and still got a job with them. So no excuses here.

I v 2:2 with over 3yrs experience. If you rcoy is still taking pls mail me; joacqimnow@gmail.com
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by armadeo(m): 5:20pm On Jan 29, 2016
musicwriter:

What you're talking about is an Africa-wide problem, which yourself and everybody else is a victim. It's due to western education which is not fit for the training of an African mindset.

Western education train us to pass exams, instead of teaching us to conceptualize a subject/topic. So, at the end we're just making photocopy of education from Britain and France, instead of learning on our own terms. There's no real education happening anywhere in Africa. Our government even made it worse in Nigeria due to underfunding of education.

Africa is on a looooooong thing.

Guy the outlined is so wrong. Western education teaches you how to conceptualize the problem here are the African teachers. Why on earth can you not question the reason behind what you were taught?

If you question your teacher you are rude. He marks u down as trying to embarrass him. We need reorientation here. The system is bleeped.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ndcide(m): 5:23pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.

I don't have problems with your discoveries and position but let's prove you wrong.

Tell us the company name, let quality people apply and then you judge. The basis for your inference is weak.

I've worked with a HR manager who talked like this and didn't last more than 6 month in the organization.
There are lots of quality graduates out there who are underpaid or looking out for such opportunities, you want to lump them together with the weak ones? ... Please don't go there.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Mekyno(m): 5:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Advertise it for NLers wit monikers, conduct an aptitude test and interview, and u will be wowed!
If it is science/engrg related, i am in for it. Let it be a bet/challenge, ok.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:

yes I'm angry... that is exactly what I want you to notice

I'm angry at you and you likes who keep pissing at Nigerian graduates and telling them it's raining.

and for your information...I graduated top of my class and gainfully employed with the FG
but that doesn't mean I'd look down on those not so privileged like they wish it for themselves

we are all victims of a very bad system

+ all my post are always in red..get that!
Bro, my hands are up in adoration for you. Don't mind the insensitive op and his likes
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 5:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
For people that are sending Op (Monacobull) pms for work this is a way that he want's to use and SCAM people... From his writeup you can know he's not intelligent and probably a school dropout just reason his assertion.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Beface(m): 5:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
Op i really enjoy your story but my believe system is finding it very difficult to accept it. Mayb if he's a graduate or not a stammerer, i would accept it!
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
dejianu:
hmmm well play... that is how you pple do say, coming in here to write jaguns... So You are an Inyerviewer and you use words like WTF... What is the name of the multinational company you work for, if not GNLD multinational...

train your cleaner and make him serve you more... smh

Guy, u bad...real bad. One bottle of Udeme for u. Hope dats ur brand?
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 5:40pm On Jan 29, 2016
Have a great weekend guys and ladies.

NB: to those who sent CV's, they have been received and i have forwarded to proper department. I will do my best to reply each mail to at least say hello.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ehix89(m): 5:45pm On Jan 29, 2016
so much pressure on d average nigerian graduate,its very tough out there,only d brave survives
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Anita1875(f): 5:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

You never notified us of this vacancy na. Pls fellow Nairalanders that are in places to help with info on job vacancies, notify us in due time. That's d "one family" spirit. Tnx
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by JLM(f): 5:56pm On Jan 29, 2016
This is one thing about a lot of Nairalanders, rather than taking a hint and correction, they always giv epic answers that show that they are not ready to leave where they are in life.

@Op u have said your bit so don't bother yourself about all the insults. My only worry here is that most referrals do not really prepare for interviews cos they believe their people will always have their back. That's why its good to throw it open to the thousands who actually, and seriously need the job.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by temibobo8(f): 6:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
uncle OP...pls ignore any insults being passed.....ts social media were all rights are reserved.....freedom of speech also so just leave aunty nd uncle beefers to talk dere own...God bless u for giving someone less deserving d job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Got A Job Offer In Canada, I Need Urgent Advice / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.