Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (48685 Views)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / An Office Cleaner Needed Urgently in Ikeja / Urgent Vacancy - Office Cleaner In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by aadoiza: 6:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
Blame your so-called multinational organisation for its nepotistic approach to selection of prospective employees/interns. I'm also a graduate, and appalled at the level of mediocrity and ineptitude sometimes demonstrated by my fellow graduates. I'm also invariably left aghast at the supposed know-it-all like yourself when you can't get a simple phrase right. what does ''Scale Through'' mean in this polemical write-up of yours? I presume you also fall into that infamous category of appalling graduates as you put it. I stumble on many graduates, every so often, who can't compare to me--even with better grades--in virtually all spheres but with opportunities and careers while me dey hustle. You ain't better than me or some brilliant graduates I know. Consult your lexicon for the meaning of ''Scale Through''. There might have been other grammatical gaffes in your write-up but, this I find particularly exasperating for someone who hurled unjustified diatribe on all graduates for, probably, expected failings of fresh graduates. Make I calm down small joor.

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by adeyinka09: 6:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
ephi123:

I think this was part of the problem. Candidates were not selected based on their own merits / what they could offer.

P.S. - Ignore the insults and abuses people are throwing, unfortunately that is the case with Nairaland these days.
Thats d point dear. op cud av say most referred applicant are dullard...simple
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by iphycarol: 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2016
Help post in the righ page
Good day Nairaland members, please help a brother get a job... Skilled in electrical engineering........ A/c installation, house wiring etc......contact 08140982212 for info on contracts..... God bless you all
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by gmacnoms(m): 6:25pm On Jan 29, 2016
aadoiza:
Blame your so-called multinational organisation for its nepotistic approach to selection of prospective employees/interns. I'm also a graduate, and appalled at the level of mediocrity and ineptitude sometimes demonstrated by my fellow graduates. I'm also invariably left aghast at the supposed know-it-all like yourself when you can't get a simple phrase right. what does ''Scale Through'' mean in this polemical write-up of yours? I presume you also fall into that infamous category of appalling graduates as you put it. I stumble on many graduates, every so often, who can't compare to me--even with better grades--in virtually all spheres but with opportunities and careers while me dey hustle. You ain't better than me or some brilliant graduates I know. Consult your lexicon for the meaning of ''Scale Through''. There might have been other grammatical gaffes in your write-up but, this I find particularly exasperating for someone who hurled unjustified diatribe on all graduates for, probably, expected failings of fresh graduates. Make I calm down small joor.
obahiagbo 2 smiley
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Danova(m): 6:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:
the issue here is not what I have for anyone's grade
it's about people like you( a product of the same system o) who come online to say nigerian graduate this, Nigerian graduate that
what is wrong with you advising your company to see how they can pick some, like 4 or 5 of the thousands that must have applied to ur sh*tty vacancy, then take some time to tailor them to your taste but no..they are looking for ready-made graduates sorry..the same way there are no ready-made jobs out there... there are no ready-made graduates too tell ur dumb boss that!
I'm not trying to take sides here but; For instance, you being d boss, would you want 2 bank on something you're not Seeing any conviction in. In as much as you wanna tailor dem to ur taste, are they not supposed to be "half-baked" before leaving school. It's tru it's nt all about grades here but I see undergrads here in school and I wonda y dey think so low, without wanting 2 brighten their horizon
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by vhatpweetygurl(f): 6:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
ThE truth is tht your company already knows who they wanted the interview was just a stage drama but you the interviewers already picked your candidate.....How can one of you just suggest the office cleaner? Was he not there with you guys before you started the project fame? SMH

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Kelklein(m): 6:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
Danova:
I'm not trying to take sides here but; For instance, you being d boss, would you want 2 bank on something you're not Seeing any conviction in. In as much as you wanna tailor dem to ur taste, are they not supposed to be "half-baked" before leaving school. It's tru it's nt all about grades here but I see undergrads here in school and I wonda y dey think so low, without wanting 2 brighten their horizon
I get ur point

you see,,, an average 3rd class grad in Nigeria will comfortably make 1st class abroad..it's all about the system under which things are done here, which the appropriate authority need to do something about.

I won't take it anywhere when anyone for whatever reason heaps the entire blame on the poor Nigerian graduate.

And I also understand a lot of them need to broaden their horizon like you said. I agree

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 6:46pm On Jan 29, 2016
If i read a topic like OUR CLEANER SHINES AMONG GRADUATES, it would have been quite reasonable than this silly topic brought up by a useless & worthless Monacobull..
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Kelklein(m): 6:50pm On Jan 29, 2016
aadoiza:
don't mind him joor

the next time any of his kind come online to say any rubbish against the Nigerian graduate.. he with meet ten of my kind

one love!
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Peaceman4: 6:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Danova(m): 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:
I get ur point

you see,,, an average 3rd class grad in Nigeria will comfortably make 1st class abroad..it's all about the system under which things are done here, which the appropriate authority need to do something about.

I won't take it anywhere when anyone for whatever reason heaps the entire blame on the poor Nigerian graduate.

And I also understand a lot of them need to broaden their horizon like you said. I agree
True. Thanks though. P.S I love your eloquence
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by eyinjuege: 6:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
twoondei:
but the kind of evil people spew here amazes me.

for sharing his experience, op got this serious bashing.

you guys are the bomb. continue, pwc will employ you through nairaland

Times are hard broda.

Graduates are not smiling grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Naija graduates, please get your shit together. angry angry angry

Rubbish! Absolute wash *in Little kesh voice*

You are just attempting to paint more unfriendly images about Nigerian Graduates.

If i may ask, why dont you at least give us a glue of the out of this world questions you threw before 6graduates and none couldnt give the right answer.

Guy, no be everybody u fit deceive shiit u hear me so?
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Abugab(m): 7:04pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

We have loads of them here on Nairaland. Too lazy to read a page of a good write up but can chat and follow gossips all day. They are more in tune with frivolities than reality. No critical and analytic dept.
No information on current affairs and never ready to brace up and learn.
I really feel bad for the future of Nigeria.
Being a mere graduate and not having the capability to defend the certificate will make me employ a school leaver who can follow instructions and eager to learn.

Just give the cleaner the right training and he will excel despite the fact that he could have a slow beginning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by luckingcurvy(f): 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
An not saying anything oooo, but when God want to work, He does it beyond man power, He having block the brains of those Graduate for you guys to call the cleaner out of frustration that is God of the impossible. Do you know how long the cleaner has been praying for a change of work? How he has been serving God faithfully. this is God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by daniyoungofime(m): 7:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
U no get talk bros....
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by gandyluv(f): 7:17pm On Jan 29, 2016
gosh!!!it was fun being hia..I ve ease my stress afta reading al d comments...one tin wit nairalanders,u can Neva take dem unaware..if u think u tough,nairalanders go make u appear useless..oneluv
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by eyinjuege: 7:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
pdpchangeapc:
I wonder the kind of job you interviewed graduates for and you still had to think of giving the same job to a cleaner if not gnld, forever etc. I dont believe that job is really meant for graduates in the first instance. Its a kind of job that Secondary School leavers can do. My opinion though.

Quite a no of multinationals have graduates as cleaners, some have lawyers as receptionists etc as in professionals having junior cadre positions, but they do pay well and so no one would mind. The cleaner might also have been qualified with a degree or a diploma and was just lucky or something.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by badttrader(m): 7:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
Op. So you even have time to listen and respond to the bashings, na wa oo. I hail you.
Its unfortunate that our youths have come down to this level. God help us. This thread is supposed to be a wake up call to we Nigerian graduates especially those in the job market but no, instead they attack the poster.
Attending a university is not enough, self development is key. Its funny that most graduates go around almost begging desperately for jobs. You have to be able to offer something (apart from your certificate).
I want to enjoin all graduates to develop themselves, know their strengths and weaknesses, have something you are passionate about and above all, be focused, don't just go wherever the wind takes you.

I am saying all these as a corper.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by AfroKnight: 7:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
Lol. So much bile. The OP doesn't deserve bashing.

Years ago, I lost confidence in the Nigerian educational system during Youth Service. Right there in our orientation camp, I met corps members who could not express themselves in BASIC English grammar. Our official language! Okay, maybe they didn't have much confidence in their verbal command of the language. Let us pardon that. However, when we were given forms to fill I was appalled by the sheer inability of some members to complete their forms properly. Some couldn't even understand what they were reading.

Sadly, many of these graduates were posted to secondary schools to TEACH!

The Government must raise the standard of education in this country. Also, too many people are allowed and even encouraged cheat their way through school. This is why we have so many underperforming candidates at job interviews. It is abysmal.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by philomental: 7:41pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Sorry i was a bit impatient while typing and did not properly edit. I always work on myself. That should be basic human behavior don't u think?

ALL IS WELL...I HAVE HEARD!
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Maybe you need to read ur post again. I wonder how you expect someone who has no experience to answer questions about a company better than a cleaner who has been working and observing activities of that company for years.
That's why you need to research a company properly before going for an interview.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by lagosrd: 7:51pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

I think you need to say this loud to our graduates. What most know how to do best is post trash and insultive statements online coupled with arguments that has no impact on their life.
I know one of them will quote me and insult me. Oonpenki cleaner to gbase yin tan. " the cleaners will take over the available jobs because they are serious minded.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by DICKtator: 7:51pm On Jan 29, 2016
MadCow1:

This your story sounds fishy..

On what premise did he decide to give the office cleaner a chance?

Why stop at the cleaner, why not the drivers as well, security and co?

If its true, then this is one of those stranger than fiction type stories.. If its not, pfft!

You, madcow1 , are great!!!!!!

What that cleaner? Not security guard or other cleaners. And he stated that the hr person was from the headquarters meaning he isn't stationed in that particular brach/office!!
Did the cleaner apply as an internal candidate?
grin grin grin grin
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by octopusfreaky(f): 8:08pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:
@op, monacobull or whatever you call yourself

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains)

so don't come here next time to insult all Nigerian graduates because of your stupidity and incompetence

Good luck to your cleaner cos that's who you deserve

Iranu..everybody dey talk..2.2 sef dey open im mouth vomit rub.bish
chaiiii,you sound sosoososoos bitter..ouch
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by octopusfreaky(f): 8:09pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains)

so don't come here next time to insult all Nigerian graduates because of your stupidity and incompetence

chaiiii,you sound sosoososoos bitter..ouch sad
Kelklein:

chaiiii,you sound sosoososoos bitter..ouch
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by octopusfreaky(f): 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.
my dear,just ignore emmm comments jere,,you dont expect everyone reasoning to be the same..
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by elektois: 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
The six graduates may have messed up at the interview, it's very possible... But the approach of OP was wrong and this is what we see everywhere. Once we are high up, we always forget that we've been way way down at some point in life..
May God help us all

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Mrbigman1(m): 8:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

What is the not saying?

If Same people came to you for IT placement u wnt give dem

Now u expect someone to fly a chopper wen he have not seen it on ground b4 or come close to it

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Niyinficient(m): 8:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
brainzdh:
Wow! The highlight for me is giving the 'Cleaner' a trial, that's awesome. This is the kind of testimonies that would sound like a lie.

Dat cleaner must be a Winner grin #LivingFaithchurch
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

I knew this post would be baseless without any proof to back it up. So , how am I to believe this ? there are so many lies on the social media now.if true , well I am sure it would be only " cleaners" that would fit into your organisation. you should understand there are questions that could below's one's level of reasoning as we have those that could be higher. Mr , yes the Nigerian education system needs an overhaul but don't generalize based on your experience. you can post the questions asked maybe
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by firstking01(m): 8:49pm On Jan 29, 2016
twoondei:
but the kind of evil people spew here amazes me.

for sharing his experience, op got this serious bashing.

you guys are the bomb. continue, pwc will employ you through nairaland
he deserved the bashing for generalizing undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.