Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54364 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by dboss444: 9:51pm On Feb 01, 2016
Una dey burst my brain oh. But I feel science alone can't give us answer to such question. Science has to work with other fields to get answers. Eckankar and spiritism claim there r other beautiful world apart from ours, even in water too

N.B; nothing is real, it is what you believe that becomes your reality.

I have a question, why is that when u stand infront of d mirror and start thinking of something @ a point, u don't see d mirror again, ur thoughts become so real

Who have read about Masaru emoto work

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:53pm On Feb 01, 2016
E383:

That is a hoax. There has been no proof of the "UFO" hoax.
yea I have that feeling,it just seems like they just love the story of aliens that they just bring those stuff,there is a very thin line between science and science fiction you know.I even saw I picture that claim to capture a space ship around the 40s but there man could not travel out of the planet

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:55pm On Feb 01, 2016
dboss444:
Una dey burst my brain oh. But I feel science alone can't give us answer to such question. Science has to work with other fields to get answers. Eckankar and spiritism claim there r other beautiful world apart from ours, even in water too

N.B; nothing is real, it is what you believe that becomes your reality.

I have a question, why is that when u stand infront of d mirror and start thinking of something @ a point, u don't see d mirror again, ur thoughts become so real

Who have read about Masaru emoto work
my guy u dey there,just that science is kind of arrogant in nature,because it always provide explanation for every thing.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 01, 2016
taurus25:
This is one of the frequently asked questions man has asked for hundreds of years since science began to unravel many mysteries in the universe.

I personally began to ponder upon this question since the tims when i learned that the sun is a star, and there are billions I'd stars in the galaxy and trillions in the observable universe.

Of this incredible number, millions of stars have planets orbiting them, may of which have been observed to have conditions that might be suitable for life on earth as we know it.

From simple probability, only one star out of millions capable of hosting life is about 1/1000000 =0.000001. This has a slight chance of happening i.e its unlikely that only one would. But this is just mere probability and not any basis for conclusion.

Also, the mediocrity principle tells us that the earth occupies no special position in the galaxy or the universe.

Now, this brings us some considerations

1) Is there any other form of life elsewhere in the universe?
2) if there is, are they in any way as complex as man?
3) what if there were complex life in the past before the formation of the earth that are maybe now extinct
4) what if complex life just began evolving somewhere else
5) would complex life elsewhere evolve similar to us or maybe perhaps there is a planet with something like intelligent birds
6) what if there is complex life present somewhere but due to vastness of space it is impossible to reach nor communicate with them

The universe is so random that what is normal to us what we and ones before us have adapted to, there are endless possibilities but vastness of the cosmos makes our knowledge limited.

Of course we're and were never alone.

Earth has been long visited by aliens since the days of pharaoh.

What I think is the real question is why did they stop coming to earth?

Also why is it that the only ones who sees them lately are drunk asshats rednecks living in backshyte countryside?

"I don seen me an alien like" says Jehtro Dumas
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Jdesilentkiller(m): 9:57pm On Feb 01, 2016
mrphysics:
just passing but let me add something.

when science talk about life somewhere else, they are not possibly looking for human being or complex animals or beings.

When we have water, plant and other basic forms of life, then science say there is life in that planet or place. because if water exist, plants can grow, micro organisms and other forms of life exists.

so lets stop thinking too far and weird.
I didn't want to comment so early until I saw you comment.........Its highly myopic for one to think that water, air and plants are the basis for human/alien existence............think outside the box man!!! Liveforms can survive with entirely different configuration........maybe using carbon monoxide as oxygen, crude oil as food and rocks for plants......forgive me for using human things for alien stuffs ....I stand corrected..

2 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:58pm On Feb 01, 2016
erusen:
yea I have that feeling,it just seems like they just love the story of aliens that they just bring those stuff,there is a very thin line between science and science fiction you know.I even saw I picture that claim to capture a space ship around the 40s but there man could not travel out of the planet
Have you ever heard a conventional astronomer say he sighted any UFO?
Have you ever heard a Physicist claim to have been abducted by U.F.Os?

No it is always some randy local from a remote part of an unknown vicinity that always throw in such claims.

every whiff of cloud and even aerocrafts are being used to even hold on to it more..

why can't the flying saucers land in the national stadium or airport why always the backyard of some farmer?

these are shabby claims bro all the U.F.O claimants are just shabby and we need more than "i saw it" as evidence...

Like every other topic 'science' holds the the alien visitation brouhaha as just a tiny piece of another curious premise..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 01, 2016
INDUSTRIALFAN:
These same thoughts of yours have been bugging my mind these past few months especially when I look up in the sky and see how vast it is..... I just feel its not just possible that as massive as the universe is with the earth being nothing but a speck of dust compared to the universe's size, earth is the only place that has life on it.... cmon.... think about it.....
Please define LIFE.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mayskit4luv(m): 9:59pm On Feb 01, 2016
All I knw z dat equilibrium will b established someday....

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by dazzlingd(m): 10:00pm On Feb 01, 2016
E383:

That is a hoax. There has been no proof of the "UFO" hoax.
a hoax as your world leaders want you to believe.

your world is like the movie matrix, there is the real world where things happen, your mind has been programmed to a fake world where the world leaders feed you with what they want you to believe.

The truth is much more complicated than u have ever thought and might ever think.

young man, open your mind

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by dabosuker(m): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2016
HapyOne:

I believe is possible or better still, it's already happening to some extent. For those of us that do believe in extraterrestrial powers/beings or what we commonly call witches and wizards or awon Iya ooo... These beings could disappear and appear in another place, I believe what is happening is just time manipulation, they are able to travel close or at the speed of light which makes everything still to them thus they can now move to their destination and reduce their speed to normal, making us think the just disappear and appear like that. For example if you look at a very fast running fan, at some point you might not see the blades of the fan, but they are their is just that they are moving two fast for you to notice imagine an human can do that and move that fast, you won't see the person. I believe this is another way of doing time travel, but maybe one is not travelling to the future can't really say.

About the future or past, recall the theory of special relativity.
The mechanism for traveling into the distant future is to use the time-dilation effect of Special Relativity, which states that a moving clock appears to tick more slowly the closer it approaches the speed of light. This effect, which has been overwhelmingly supported by experimental tests, applies to all types of clocks, including biological aging.

If one were to depart from the earth in a spaceship that could accelerate continuously at a comfortable one g (an acceleration that would produce a force equal to the gravity at the earth's surface), one would begin to approach the speed of light relative to the earth within about a year. As the ship continued to accelerate, it would come ever closer to the speed of light, and its clocks would appear to run at an ever slower rate relative to the earth. Under such circumstances, a round trip to the center of our galaxy and back to the earth--a distance of some 60,000 light-years--could be completed in only a little more than 40 years of ship time. Upon arriving back at the earth, the astronaut would be only 40 years older, while 60,000 years would have passed on the earth. Such a trip would pose formidable engineering problems, but I know is way possible maybe not now but very soon.

Time travel into the past, which is what people usually mean by time travel, is a much more uncertain proposition. There are many solutions to Einstein's equations of General Relativity that allow a person to follow a timeline that would result in her (or him) encountering herself...

And so on like that.....................

I know time travel is possible, and it will happen. I really need to correct some things in the past.

Just my thought though smiley grin wink

Brother , am giving you a Drink, you idea about "witches , wizards & Winches"etc. ....they all could just be manipulating space time , a rare knowledge the rest of us are yet to have

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 10:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:
Have you ever heard a conventional astronomer say he sighted any UFO?
Have you ever heard a Physicist claim to have been abducted by U.F.Os?

No it is always some randy local from a remote part of two unknown that always throw in such claims.

every whiff of cloud and even aerocrafts are being used to even hold on to it more..

why can't the flying saucers land in the national stadium or airport why always the backyard of some farmer?

these are shabby claims bro all the U.F.O claimants are just shabby and we need more than "i saw it" as evidence...

Like every other topic 'science' holds the the alien visitation brouhaha as just a tiny piece of another curious premise..
most of them are now crossing into science fiction.as for me I don't have deep feelings for alien existence but considering the size of the universe who knows?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by LordAdam: 10:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
micodon:

bros, I didn't ask for definitions.... DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS? In a nutshell, every object in the universe is moving at 4 velocities (3 in each spatial dimensions and 1 in the time dimension). THE SUM OF THESE VELOCITIES ALWAYS EQUALS THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Therefore, when you go faster in the spatial dimensions, your velocity in the time dimension reduces relative to your velocity in the spatial dimensions. Let's represent this in a simple equation. X + Y + Z + T = c. Where X, Y, Z are the velocities in your Cartesian coordinates, T is your velocity in the time dimension, and c is the speed of light.

Now what happens when you reach a velocity that equals c in your spatial dimensions? We make T the subject of the formula, like so.... T = C - (X + Y +Z). Because x+y+z = c, T = 0. So at the speed of light, time stops for the object. That is why light photons are ageless... They travel at c, so T for them = 0.

Now what happens when You go past the speed of light in your spatial dimensions? That means (X + Y + Z) becomes greater than C. Therefore time becomes negative. What does it mean for time to flow in the negative direction? I leave you to answer that.

This is all fine Mathematically. But according to Einstein, the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe.. Nothing can go beyond it. That's where going back in time fails in practical

Sometimes, I wish I were a theoretical physicist.

Einstein may be wrong about the speed limit of the universe. He already is wrong about the largest size of a structure in the universe. Check that out. The appeal of science is that no one, no book, no reference is 100% right.

I understand that we must stick to what we now know in hopes of discovering the unknown, which is why I am quick to point people to talk in less-definite terms. The speed of light is the speed limit of the "OBSERVABLE" universe. Omitting observable makes the statement untrue in a purely technical sense. Cause for a while we were unable to pick up radio waves even though they have been there all along. There may be something faster than light that we just do not have the ability to ascertain at the moment.

In any case, to the issue of the thread, I surmise that I will be very surprised if we are alone in the universe. I beats reason. It may well be that our form of life may be restricted to Earth, but another form of life should exist elsewhere. UFOs are real although the scientific community, me included, would prefer to exercise extreme caution on the concept.

Speculations are interesting playground tools for creative and imaginative minds. It is very important that we seek answers though, for only then do we really become alive. If not for DARPA, this beauty called the Internet would never have been developed, nor would the geo-positional marvel called GPS be developed.

It is doubly unfortunate that sub-saharan Africa as expected is way behind on all of these. Some say we have a lot on our plate, but when the Greek philosophers, Arabian/Indian mathematicians, Mayan/Aztecs astrologers were pushing the frontiers of objective reasoning, wars, conquest, and barbarism flourished unabated. The black race as a people must stop the excuses, abandon mediocrity, and chart their own course.

Scattered around this thread are smart minds. Unfortunately, a single tree cannot make a forest. Many minds here would have been of more use to planet earth and mankind if they had a different skin color or were born in more civilized societies.

While we search for life outside Earth, let us remember that life on Earth, especially on this part of the divide is to put it frankly "DESPICABLE" and not worth living. Changing that is not something I would bet my life on, but I would rather try than chalk it up as an attempt that is dead on arrival.

-Lord

6 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by dabosuker(m): 10:03pm On Feb 01, 2016
dazzlingd:

a hoax as your world leaders want you to believe.

your world is like the movie matrix, there is the real world where things happen, your mind has been programmed to a fake world where the world leaders feed you with what they want you to believe.

The truth is much more complicated than u have ever thought and might ever think.

young man, open your mind

Same thing i scream out to young people every day,..OPEN YOUR MINDS,....unplugg yourself from the Matrix & be awakened

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2016
erusen:
my guy u dey there,just that science is kind of arrogant in nature,because it always provide explanation for every thing.
No my brother you misunderstand science..

Science thrives on "Ignorance and unanswered questions"... If you cannot say "I do not know" you cannot use the scientific method..

There are many premises as regards everything in this world that science always maintains "I do not know" status until they find out..

Acceptance of Ignorance fuels study because you cannot learn what you do not accept not to know... Science agrees it doesn't know that's why it is science and the thesis and theories you see around are all rewards of consistent and unrelenting study by men who were pushed by the fact that they didnt know.. they set out to know..

Science does not aim at establishing immutable dogmas but through consistent study vies to reach a truthful approximation without at any point claiming abslute truth has been reached.

I see 'science' as the most humbling of all ..

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by IyfeNamikaze(m): 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2016
Amberon11:
per the bolded : what part of my statement limits the universe to mean earth? you didn't hear me talk about religion either.

hello? so your atheist mind doesn't even know sh!t about demons and you go about giving crappy theories about them.

By the way, you don't exist. You're just a figment of my imagination. After all w haven't met before, have we?

oga that was the perfect reply.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2016
timonski:

Please define LIFE.
Didn't want to start racking up my brain so I copied and pasted from Google....

life /lʌɪf/
noun
1. the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
2. the existence of an individual human being or animal.
3. the period between the birth and death of a living thing, especially a human being.
4. vitality, vigour, or energy.
5. (in art) the depiction of a subject from a real model, rather than from an artist's imagination.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 10:08pm On Feb 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Sometimes, I wish I were a theoretical physicist.

Einstein may be wrong about the speed limit of the universe. He already is wrong about the largest size of a structure in the universe. Check that out. The appeal of science is that no one, no book, no reference is 100% right.

I understand that we must stick to what we now know in hopes of discovering the unknown, which is why I am quick to point people to talk in less-definite terms. The speed of light is the speed limit of the "OBSERVABLE" universe. Omitting observable makes the statement untrue in a purely technical sense. Cause for a while we were unable to pick up radio waves even though they have been there all along. There may be something faster than light that we just do not have the ability to ascertain at the moment.

In any case, to the issue of the thread, I surmise that I will be very surprised if we are alone in the universe. I beats reason. It may well be that our form of life may be restricted to Earth, but another form of life should exist elsewhere. UFOs are real although the scientific community, me included, would prefer to exercise extreme caution on the concept.

Speculations are interesting playground tools for creative and imaginative minds. It is very important that we seek answers though, for only then do we really become alive. If not for DARPA, this beauty called the Internet would never have been developed, nor would the geo-positional marvel called GPS be developed.

It is doubly unfortunate that sub-saharan Africa as expected is way behind on all of these. Some say we have a lot on our plate, but when the Greek philosophers, Arabian/Indian mathematicians, Mayan/Aztecs astrologers were pushing the frontiers of objective reasoning, wars, conquest, and barbarism flourished unabated. The black race as a people must stop the excuses, abandon mediocrity, and chart their own course.

Scattered around this thread are smart minds. Unfortunately, a single tree cannot make a forest. Many minds here would have been of more use to planet earth and mankind if they had a different skin color or were born in more civilized societies.

While we search for life outside Earth, let us remember that life on Earth, especially on this part of the divide is to put it frankly "DESPICABLE" and not worth living. Changing that is not something I would bet my life on, but I would rather try than chalk it up as an attempt that is dead on arrival.

-Lord
science is imagination ,speculation ,,with the creative mentality of getting there that was how the internet and a whole of inventions were invented.as for the black race I think we are too stuck behind,probably 3 centuries behind.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by LordAdam: 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2016
HapyOne:

I believe is possible or better still, it's already happening to some extent. For those of us that do believe in extraterrestrial powers/beings or what we commonly call witches and wizards or awon Iya ooo... These beings could disappear and appear in another place, I believe what is happening is just time manipulation, they are able to travel close or at the speed of light which makes everything still to them thus they can now move to their destination and reduce their speed to normal, making us think the just disappear and appear like that. For example if you look at a very fast running fan, at some point you might not see the blades of the fan, but they are their is just that they are moving two fast for you to notice imagine an human can do that and move that fast, you won't see the person. I believe this is another way of doing time travel, but maybe one is not travelling to the future can't really say.

About the future or past, recall the theory of special relativity.
The mechanism for traveling into the distant future is to use the time-dilation effect of Special Relativity, which states that a moving clock appears to tick more slowly the closer it approaches the speed of light. This effect, which has been overwhelmingly supported by experimental tests, applies to all types of clocks, including biological aging.

If one were to depart from the earth in a spaceship that could accelerate continuously at a comfortable one g (an acceleration that would produce a force equal to the gravity at the earth's surface), one would begin to approach the speed of light relative to the earth within about a year. As the ship continued to accelerate, it would come ever closer to the speed of light, and its clocks would appear to run at an ever slower rate relative to the earth. Under such circumstances, a round trip to the center of our galaxy and back to the earth--a distance of some 60,000 light-years--could be completed in only a little more than 40 years of ship time. Upon arriving back at the earth, the astronaut would be only 40 years older, while 60,000 years would have passed on the earth. Such a trip would pose formidable engineering problems, but I know is way possible maybe not now but very soon.

Time travel into the past, which is what people usually mean by time travel, is a much more uncertain proposition. There are many solutions to Einstein's equations of General Relativity that allow a person to follow a timeline that would result in her (or him) encountering herself...

And so on like that.....................

I know time travel is possible, and it will happen. I really need to correct some things in the past.

Just my thought though smiley grin wink

To put it succinctly, Magic/Sorcery is Science. Different tools the same result.

The movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice (with Nicolas Cage playing Merlin) is probably not an intellectual resource, but it offers a unique viewpoint that supports that theory.

-Lord
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 10:13pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:

No my brother you misunderstand science..

Science thrives on "Ignorance and unanswered questions"... If you cannot say "I do not know" you cannot use the scientific method..

There are many premises as regards everything in this world that science always maintains "I do not know" status until they find out..

Acceptance of Ignorance fuels study because you cannot learn what you do not accept not to know... Science agrees it doesn't know that's why it is science and the thesis and theories you see around are all rewards of consistent and unrelenting study by men who were pushed by the fact that they didnt know.. they set out to know..

Science does not aim at establishing immutable dogmas but through consistent study vies to reach a truthful approximation without at any point claiming abslute truth has been reached.

I see 'science' as the most humbling of all ..
nice view u got there.evolution for instance am still confuse about that lot I mean I know it but I still have questions for it which it can not answer ,there are also evidence against it but it seems modern science just swept it away and made it a fact.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Feb 01, 2016
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Didn't want to start racking up my brain so I copied and pasted from Google....

life /lʌɪf/
noun
1. the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.
2. the existence of an individual human being or animal.
3. the period between the birth and death of a living thing, especially a human being.
4. vitality, vigour, or energy.
5. (in art) the depiction of a subject from a real model, rather than from an artist's imagination.
bros, define from a biological point of view not from everyday usage.
What is LIFE?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by LordAdam: 10:16pm On Feb 01, 2016
erusen:
science is imagination ,speculation ,,with the creative mentality of getting there that was how the internet and a whole of inventions were invented.as for the black race I think we are too stuck behind,probably 3 centuries behind.

Science is imagination and speculation following a logical thinking process. Whatever you imagine or speculate must be explained. It's why science maintains that ghosts and the supernatural are unreal despite overwhelming evidence.

The black race WILL never meet up. Of course, there will be individuals within the race that break the convention of backwardness, think Ben Carson, Wole Soyinka, Nelson Mandela, Chike Obi (to mention but a few), maybe you or me. However, these are only a pocket few representing a percentage I can't calculate (probably 0.000001%). The race as an entity is a lost cause.

-Lord
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mrphysics(m): 10:17pm On Feb 01, 2016
Jdesilentkiller:

I didn't want to comment so early until I saw you comment.........Its highly myopic for one to think that water, air and plants are the basis for human/alien existence............think outside the box man!!! Liveforms can survive with entirely different configuration........maybe using carbon monoxide as oxygen, crude oil as food and rocks for plants......forgive me for using human things for alien stuffs ....I stand corrected..

it's not myopic sir. What do you even mean by aliens, a product of your imagination. You are yet to see one, how then do you imagine how they look, what they eat.

you may be correct until proven but as it stands now, I just listed the basis of living things. Do u you not think that: stones may be breathing carbondioxide or crude oil as you think and imagine?.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 10:21pm On Feb 01, 2016
LordAdam:

To put it succinctly, Magic/Sorcery is Science. Different tools the same result.

The movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice (with Nicolas Cage playing Merlin) is probably not an intellectual resource, but it offers a unique viewpoint that supports that theory.

-Lord
[b] In the movie Thor, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) said "Magic is just science we yet don't understand" Though the quote belonged to an Astrophysicists who wrote sci-fis.

If you look at the quantum world, you will see a far bizarre world than what you are used to. A large universe of it's own lurking within the microscopic world.

Here in the macro world objects cannot pass through solid walls but in this quantum world the manifestations of nature are totally unconventional and different that electrons and other subatomic particles can move through walls.

Here in the macro world nothing is faster than light but in the microscopic universe information can pass from one object to another of remarkable distance instantaneously like it is just one particle in two different places (Quantum entanglement)

I think many of the magic tricks we have seen are just tricks, but i am open that we may yet have the ability to manipulate nature in ways different from ours by employing the principles the quantum world teaches.. then it will still bear the name "Science" instead of magic

Nature is one random crazy and bizarre whole..
[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Science is imagination and speculation following a logical thinking process. Whatever you imagine or speculate must be explained. It's why science maintains that ghosts and the supernatural are unreal despite overwhelming evidence.

The black race WILL never meet up. Of course, there will be individuals within the race that break the convention of backwardness, think Ben Carson, Wole Soyinka, Nelson Mandela, Chike Obi (to mention but a few), maybe you o me. However, these are only a pocket few representing a percentage I can't calculate (probably 0.000001%). The race as an entity is a lost cause.

-Lord
it is very heartbreaking to give up on u race,who do blame for this na,making me a black man.if I was a creator then it gives me one more reason to hate him,if was evolution them I just say Bleep the process,concerning ghost those things may just be real oh but I don't place my beliefs in hearsay
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2016
timonski:

bros, define from a biological point of view not from everyday usage.
What is LIFE?
Nawao... bros.... you just want punish me this night.... nawao.... and I gave you every definition in case one no do you

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by inaiduna(m): 10:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
timonski:

Please define LIFE.

We can only define life from the attributes of life itself as we were told in elementary integrated science, MR NIGER D, I believe is the de-facto standard for life here on Earth, there must be some form of MOVEMENT, RESPIRATION is required, NUTRITION the "form" has to feed, IRRITABILITY it has respond to its environment, GROWTH an irreversible increase size or form, EXCRETION there must be a metabolic process i its internal workings, It must be able to bring forth it kind to fit into the environment it finds itself REPRODUCTION, lastly it has a time span to exist in this environment, it is finite... DEATH! DO we really have such in other places in the Cosmos that fit into our "definition" of life? as the existentialist will say Everything is but man exist! Well I am really enjoying the discuss, topics like this should make FP more.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by sukkot: 10:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
as physical entities, yes. as spiritual entities, no
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 10:24pm On Feb 01, 2016
erusen:
nice view u got there.evolution for instance am still confuse about that lot I mean I know it but I still have questions for it which it can not answer ,there are also evidence against it but it seems modern science just swept it away and made it a fact.
You can read about it and provide evidences against it and provide solutions with empirical back-up to new ideas you may propose..

Science gives a prize to anyone who can show it where it is wrong and correct it we call it NOBEL prize.. am sure you will earn one if you do.

Science is moved by doubt so it accommodates doubts and scepticism
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by suyamasta(m): 10:24pm On Feb 01, 2016
I suspect we are not alone
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 10:27pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:
You can read about it and provide evidences against it and provide solutions with empirical back-up to new ideas you may propose..

Science gives a prize to anyone who can show it where it is wrong and correct it we call it NOBEL prize.. am sure you will earn one if you do.

Science is moved by doubt so it accommodates doubts and scepticism
that is very encouraging
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 10:28pm On Feb 01, 2016
sukkot:
as physical entities, yes. as spiritual entities, no
hahahaha man u funny oh abeg explain
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by great664(m): 10:29pm On Feb 01, 2016
nwadiuko1:
brother I get your point accurately, am an accountant too who doubles as a writer...... but an not cut for this kinda topic......cheers
I am an Accountant too but will be buying my physics textbook tomorrow to start with basic Physics, just love it and this post with comment open my eyes more to why I really love it....

Thanks for the thread but don't like the fact that most are Atheist, anyway they have right to their belief.

I love Astronomy, let's know our HOME,

cc
Johnydon22
HapyOne
Midon***
Please point which book should I get for a starter, just for leisure though, I have passion for Astronomy but its somehow late for me now...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Stunning And Rare Mammatus Clouds Form On Argentina Skies (Pics, Video) / Huge Python Delivering Money In Zimbabwe (Video) / Boy Kills Huge Cobra In Kogi After Invading His House. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.