Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54419 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by callJesu: 3:52am On Feb 02, 2016
Research areas are still fertile
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by glovedbus: 4:09am On Feb 02, 2016
Ever heard of AREA 51 conspiracy in the US?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by macminista(m): 4:59am On Feb 02, 2016
GO AND READ GENESIS CHAPTER 1...
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by horbafemie(m): 5:47am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
Gravity is not a thing so cannot be quantified with light

I wonder oooo
How could he possibly compare gravity with light??
Just passing by tho
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by LyfeJennings(m): 6:00am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
what the Bleep is this one saying seft the same Allah that said the earth was flat.na wa oh

U an idiot
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 6:23am On Feb 02, 2016
Sunnystooth:

Hindi - A language, Hindu / Hinduism - A religion... Just so you dont make the mistake next time.
yea I was talking about the religion

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 6:27am On Feb 02, 2016
LyfeJennings:

U an idiot
sorry oh but na truth I be dey talk oh.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Glock9(m): 7:17am On Feb 02, 2016
I believe we are not alone. There are many permutations and combinations of life that define logic. We have bacteria that exist in volcanoes. How random is that. The various forms of life that exist can possibly not be exhausted.

God has all the answers though. Its in HIS WORD.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by wirinet(m): 7:17am On Feb 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Let me beg to differ.
I agree life - as defined on earth is molecule or cell based. However that's the human definition. Again that restriction. Your comment on silicon again is restricted to the known elements on our periodic table again discovered and still being discovered by man. So what is there may be over a million elements that are currently existing / evolving across the planets?
Again you talk about solar or cosmic radiation defined by man's understanding and belief of what doses are "normal" and not harmful. But what if a planet doesn't even have need a star that radiates solar energy. And then again, what if there are planets that have upto 3 suns far larger than that of earth's yet lifeforms can thrive.
The number of what if's should not be ignored simply becsue man's science restricts our abilities to see a far bigger picture of possibilities!
The basic unit of life is a molecule - the DNA molecule. That is the scientific definition. If you have another definition of life, lets have it.

You do not seem to understand basic scientific laws. One of them is ; The laws of physics is constant throughout the universe. So you cannot have more than 109 naturally occurring elements in the universe. Physics does not permit elements with atomic mass more than 109 (naturally). There are not over a million elements existing anywhere in the universe.

I am not taking of dosage. Highly energetic gamma and cosmic rays would destroy any complex molecules that form. it would not permit life to evolve in the first place.

You third point is mute, a planet cannot exist without a sun in the first place, and if the sun does not radiate enough energy, its planets would be very ( sub-zero temperature variation) cold. Any solar system with more than 1 sun is a big no as far as life is concerned, its orbits around the suns would be too complex.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:18am On Feb 02, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
[color=#000000][/color]

There's a flaw in the calculation. Initially, you stated that X+Y+Z+T = C. Later on, you said T = C - (X+Y+Z), where X+Y+Z = C (neglecting 'T') and you got T = 0. But if X+Y+Z+T = C, then T = C - (X+Y+Z) will be T = C - (C-T). (Because X+Y+Z = C-T, not just 'C'). Therefore, T = C-C+T, which means T = T, and that doesn't prove anything

Bros, you have just twisted this equation and arrived at a wrong conclusion. Please, very simply make T the subject of the equation. Do not break anything down. Just make T the subject of the following equation.... C = X + Y + Z + T
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:21am On Feb 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Let me beg to differ.
I agree life - as defined on earth is molecule or cell based. However that's the human definition. Again that restriction. Your comment on silicon again is restricted to the known elements on our periodic table again discovered and still being discovered by man. So what is there may be over a million elements that are currently existing / evolving across the planets?
Again you talk about solar or cosmic radiation defined by man's understanding and belief of what doses are "normal" and not harmful. But what if a planet doesn't even have need a star that radiates solar energy. And then again, what if there are planets that have upto 3 suns far larger than that of earth's yet lifeforms can thrive.
The number of what if's should not be ignored simply becsue man's science restricts our abilities to see a far bigger picture of possibilities!

You have been watching too much Hollywood
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:26am On Feb 02, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
iDoubt time travel will be possible because time itself is just an abstract concept unlike space. We can move from one point in space to another because it is physical. But time is more or less just an idea

This is so wrong. Time is not just an Idea. In fact, time is inseparable from space. TIME IS A DIMENSION, AND WE TRAVEL THROUGH IT. We live in a continuum of spacetime... And this continuum is curved.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by FILEBE(m): 7:32am On Feb 02, 2016
LordAdam
erusen
Johnydon22
Well, i slept on this thread literally. As i kept reading and reading i noticed that we believe in what we can't see. Even the atheist. We all believe in Gravity, yet we can't see it. Scientists came up with an explanation of how gravity works, gave us proofs on it absence . We were taken to space to see what we can and can't do with gravity. We believe them. Now, we are asking if we are alone on earth and beyond. I don't know much about "beyond" but i know about earth. We are not alone on earth. Believe it or not. You, atheists don't believe in metaphysical / diabolic beings or power yet you believe in gravity. Atheist are like the modern day doubthing Thomas(no offence). Well, i'm talking from experience. I have seen things! I have seen other forms of beings. We Africans are aware of these beings but we choose to "overate" and give them "undue" powers.

Somewhere in a book. I read about some form of beings living above the earth's atmosphere.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:35am On Feb 02, 2016
great664:
I am an Accountant too but will be buying my physics textbook tomorrow to start with basic Physics, just love it and this post with comment open my eyes more to why I really love it....

Thanks for the thread but don't like the fact that most are Atheist, anyway they have right to their belief.

I love Astronomy, let's know our HOME,

cc
Johnydon22
HapyOne
Midon***
Please point which book should I get for a starter, just for leisure though, I have passion for Astronomy but its somehow late for me now...

Since you're just starting, you need to start with Astronomy for dummies and Astrophysics for dummies. I must warn you that you need to know basic physics and mathematics (calculus and that)
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 7:38am On Feb 02, 2016
FILEBE:
LordAdam
erusen
Johnydon22
Well, i slept on this thread literally. As i kept reading and reading i noticed that we believe in what we can't see. Even the atheist. We all believe in Gravity, yet we can't see it. Scientists came up with an explanation of how gravity works, gave us proofs on it absence . We were taken to space to see what we can and can't do with gravity. We believe them. Now, we are asking if we are alone on earth and beyond. I don't know much about "beyond" but i know about earth. We are not alone on earth. Believe it or not. You, atheists don't believe in metaphysical / diabolic beings or power yet you believe in gravity. Atheist are like the modern day doubthing Thomas(no offence). Well, i'm talking from experience. I have seen things! I have seen other forms of beings. We Africans are aware of these beings but we choose to "overate" and give them "undue" powers.

Somewhere in a book. I read about some form of beings living above the earth's atmosphere.
am not an atheist, I believe in a creator as a deist I don't have any religion or believe in spirits,it might all be true but am just too empirical to believe stuffs like this.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by wirinet(m): 7:39am On Feb 02, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
iDoubt time travel will be possible because time itself is just an abstract concept unlike space. We can move from one point in space to another because it is physical. But time is more or less just an idea

You are wrong time is not an abstract concept, it is an integral component of space. without time, there would be no space, hence the equation - distance (s) equals velocity (v) times time (t). (s = vt.) please not distance equals space.

I also belief time travel (in reverse) is impossible.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:40am On Feb 02, 2016
sukkot:
there are many parallel dimensions in our universe. some dimensions can only be inhabited by spiritual beings. our own dimension is called the 3rd or 3D dimension. its for those who are vibrating on a very low frequency of vibration and have to acquire a body so that they can be led by their carnal desires of touch smell taste and feel. its a low dimension for the carnal. the ascended masters are on the 4th dimension. remember we are spiritual beings having a physical experience

What exactly are you saying? Bros, our dimension is not THE THIRD dimension. Our Universe is a 4 Dimensional one.. And at every point in time We are moving through them. There are three dimensions for space... Just like you have in your Cartesian coordinate system. so when you move from x to y to z, your direction of movement makes a circle... Like that.... And then the 4th Dimension is Time
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Jimmyo3(m): 7:43am On Feb 02, 2016
tosyne2much:
U no go believe say I no even see this thread at all, if no be you wey mention me cheesy
Ok tender your contribution
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:47am On Feb 02, 2016
LoJ:

Please brother. It is better when you don't understand somthing to ask for clarification, instead of quickly talking about flaws in the calculations. Look at it again, the calculation is impeccable.

When an object O (x,y,z) is moving at the speed of the light C, then we have x+y+z = C. However For any object x+y+z+t must be = C. Therefore, in the case of an object (for instance a light proton) that is travelling at the speed of the light C, T = 0. For that object, time is not passing.

That's simple, obvious and absolutely mathematically demonstrable. There is even a scientific paradox that deals with that: It is the Twin paradox, you can google it.

Cheers

The Twin Paradox, brother.. Thanks for reminding us
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by menxer: 7:50am On Feb 02, 2016
I believe there is life else where in the universe, though it may not be according to our definition of life.

It would be absurd for man to be the only living being in the universe of a zillion stars (suns) and planets.

If it's normal to see a person that resembles you, it's possible there is a planet that resembles earth, though in both cases the occurrence maybe far apart.

if we use Jesus' analogy: the galaxies being the mansions of God and the earth is just a room in one of the mansions.

There is no way we can discuss life in other parts of the universe without touching the spiritual or metaphysical as physical science alone is not enough to explain the complexity of the cosmos.

What if there are other forms of life in bodies too subtle for our comprehension?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by FILEBE(m): 7:50am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
am not an atheist, I believe in a creator as a deist I don't have any religion or believe in spirits,it might all be true but am just too empirical to believe stuffs like this.
empirical? You wish to see a ghost? A demon? Experience metaphysics? Maybe you should embark on that quest. Find out for yourself.
Warning: thread with caution.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Philadelphia: 7:51am On Feb 02, 2016
ngreviewtech:
We are made to believe nothing travels faster than light yet gravity is everywhere thou the universe is young.
http://ngreviewtech..com.ng/2016/01/gravity-is-on-zeroth-dimension.html?m=1

Gravity is not everywhere. There is no gravity in space but there is light in space.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:51am On Feb 02, 2016
MrSunesis:

Gravity and light are both 'things' (if I were to refers to Tartar's usage if the term)....they are both energy and are correlated. According to the law of thermodynamics, energy can be transformed from one state to another.... That is wamhat makes Einstein's law possible.

Gravity is not energy, Bros. According to the Relativity theories, Gravity is not a real force sef. It's a warp... A curvature in the fabrics of spacetime
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:55am On Feb 02, 2016
Philadelphia:

Gravity is not everywhere. There is no gravity in space but there is light in space.

There's gravity everywhere there's a body of mass. That means, wherever you go, ull experience gravity. At least, because of your own mass.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mrphysics(m): 7:56am On Feb 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

But then again, what we humans define as "basic necessities " for lifeforms to thrive upon may not be what another planet billions of lightyears away may define it. A dark planet for example (a planet without an illuminating star like the sun, may have complex lifeforms thriving who may have appendages, exoskeletons or whatever that requires the absence of light, or water for that matter. They may not even have a spoken language as we define it here, yet they can communicate. Limbs, but have their own ability to be mobile etc.
What may seem "normal" here should not be viewed as "abnormal" elsewhere amply because we have restricted our levels of definitions.
It may sound paradoxical as I am a Christian but I believe in the possibility of complex lifeforms currently existing in other planets not weighed down by man's definition of basic requirements for life.

All you wrote are assumptions, it lacks evidences. Anyone can assume . So go ahead
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by menxer: 8:00am On Feb 02, 2016
mrphysics:

All you wrote are assumptions, it lacks evidences. Anyone can assume . So go ahead

Then it is safe to say angels and spirits are assumptions.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 8:00am On Feb 02, 2016
[quote author=FILEBE post=42541777]
empirical? You wish to see a ghost? A demon? Experience metaphysics? Maybe you should embark on that quest. Find out for yourself.
Warning: thread with caution. [/quote how can I find out,
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by wirinet(m): 8:01am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

Gravity is not energy, Bros. According to the Relativity theories, Gravity is not a real force sef. It's a warp... A curvature in the fabrics of spacetime
Gravity is the least understood force of nature. it does not seem to be affected by time, it is able to warp space-time. If a star goes nova, will there be a time lag between when the star explodes and when planets around it feel the loss of its gravity? tell me what you think.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by wirinet(m): 8:10am On Feb 02, 2016
Philadelphia:

Fallacy. Gravity is everywhere, it pervades the whole universe. in fact there is far more gravity in the universe than can be accounted for by mass alone.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:15am On Feb 02, 2016
wirinet:

Gravity is the least understood force of nature. it does not seem to be affected by time, it is able to warp space-time. If a star goes nova, will there be a time lag between when the star explodes and when planets around it feel the loss of its gravity? tell me what you think.

Oh yes, there will be. The reason is that Space is not empty. Einstein said space is filled with the aether. So, when the star goes Nova, the aether will be distorted.. And this will propagate like a wave to the surroundings. For example, when you drop a stone in water, you see ripples propagate as waves from the point you dropped the stone, to wherever it can go... That's how gravity behaves. There's always a time lag, cos here, the waves have to travel through a medium
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:16am On Feb 02, 2016
wirinet:

And I should have you know that Gravity DOES NOT WARP SPACETIME.... GRAVITY IS THE WARP ITSELF
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by menxer: 8:19am On Feb 02, 2016
sarutobie:

this is what happens when you read too much DC and marvel comics..so there is another version of me in another world? like seriously?

Hahahaha

It's easier for you to accept the concept of your spiritual self and heaven than the concept of multiverse. SMH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Boy Kills Huge Cobra In Kogi After Invading His House. Photos / Huge Python Delivering Money In Zimbabwe (Video) / Stunning And Rare Mammatus Clouds Form On Argentina Skies (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.