Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

United States Government Memo On Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / United States Government Memo On Biafra (3532 Views)

United States Government Yet To Give Buhari Oil Thieves’ List / United States Government Calls For Cancellation Of Anambra Guber Election / Yar'adua Repudiates NIA Memo On El Rufai And Ribadu, Fires Dg Imohe ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

United States Government Memo On Biafra by maxsiollun: 1:31pm On Jun 30, 2009
www.state.gov/documents/organization/53889.pdf

5 August 1969
MEMORANDUM
SUBJECT: Nigeria: The Federal Military Government's War
Aims vis-a-vis the Ibos

I . The Federal Government's War Aims
1. The federal government's immediate war aim is to
establish federal control over Biafra. The federal authori-
ties are willing to negotiate an end to the war, but we see
no indications that Lagos would be satisfied with anything
but a settlement on its own terms, including a renunciation
of secession by the Biafrans and the establishment of federal
authority--probably in the form of federal occupation forces--
over the whole of the former Eastern Region. The federal
government almost certainly would not accept General Ojukwu
in any leadership position, and many Nigerians might well
demand his death or imprisonment. There are no indications
that Lagos would consider granting the East-Central State
any special status in the federation. There is a remote
possibility that the Nigerians would consider adjusting the
East-Central State boundaries--possibly even to include a
seaport at the expense of the Rivers State.

2. Probably the most important long-range goal of those
now in control of the federal military government is that
of ensuring that no single tribe ever again dominates poli-
tics at the federal level. [/b]Since the military coup of July
1966, power has been held by minority tribal elements from
the "middlebelt" area--the southern part of the former
Northern Region. At the time of the July coup, [b]the middle-
belters had the support of the Hausa-Fulanis but this was
primarily because the coup was directed against the then
Ibo regime. The present aims of the middlebelters and the
Hausa-Fulanis coincide, but the minority tribesmen remain
determined to prevent domination of the government by the
Hausa-Fulanis.
In our view, an end to the Ibo problem
would almost certainly mark the beginning of serious poli-
tical differences between the minority tribesmen and the
Hausa-Fulanis.

3. The minority tribesmen now in control of the federal
government are not bent on genocide against the Ibos, and
the top leaders, like General Gowon, will probably take
great pains to prevent the massacre of Ibos if the federal
forces ever do overrun the Biafran enclave. It is almost
certain, however, that a federal victory would result in
anti-Ibo atrocities by front-line troops. [/b]The extent of
these would probably depend on the manner in which the
federal victory was achieved. [b]The war has already gone on
for so long and so much bitterness has built up on both
sides, however, that during the first few days after the
"liberation" there would probably be a fair amount of
retribution particularly against Ibo soldiers and probably
also against civilians. After this, Gowon and his senior
officers would probably be able to contain the atrocities.

II. Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba Intentions Toward the Ibos
4. There is of course no love lost between the Hausa-
Fulanis and the Ibos, and even before the first military
coup in January 1966 there was much pent-up anti-Ibo senti-
ment in the north. Over a million Ibos lived in the former
Northern Region, and because of their education and ambition,
they held the best jobs. The Hausa-Fulanis regarded the
Ibos as pushy, arrogant, treacherous, greedy, and of course
pagan. The depth of the anti-Ibo sentiment was demonstrated
during the September-October 1966 riots in the Northern
Region during which at least 7,000 and possibly twice that
many Ibos were killed.

5. These anti-Ibo feelings have probably become more
intense since the war, and especially as it has become
more and more difficult to explain the federal government's
inability to win a military victory. [b]Left to themselves,
many, perhaps most, Hausa-Fulanis would probably punish
the Ibos severely for the secession, and given the means,
many northerners might well undertake a bloodbath of major
proportions. [/b]Senior Hausa-Fulani officers would probably
try to avoid this, however, and Gowon and the army leaders
from the minority tribes would probably be able to contain
the northern troops who would come into contact with the
Ibos in the event of a federal victory. It is probably
worthwhile to note that thus far in the war there have
been no examples of what would happen if northern troops
gained control of areas of heavy Ibo population, because
the Ibos have evacuated their towns in the face of advancing
federal troops.

6. The Yorubas are also basically anti-Ibo. The
Westerners see the Ibos as rivals for the better jobs and
as cultural inferiors. Most Yorubas, however, probably
feel much closer to the Ibos in education and background
than to their northern brothers, and probably quite a few
Yorubas sympathize with the Ibo attempt at self-determina-
tion. We do not believe the Yorubas would engage in any
significant amount of atrocities against the Ibos.

III. The Ibo Elite
7. We do not believe that the military leaders intend
to eradicate the Ibo elite, but neither do we believe the
Ibos will be permitted to play any meaningful role in the
federal government for the foreseeable future. T[b]he federal
leaders almost certainly would not entrust any responsible
federal positions to the Ibos. [/b]All the Lagos government
has so far promised is that Ibos would control the East-
Central State and that Ibos would be represented on the
Federal Executive Council. We believe representation in
the latter would probably be at best token, and that
although Ibo civilians might be permitted to hold posi-
tions in the state government, the federal government would
probably insist on federal occupation forces in Biafra.

8. It is difficult to see any peaceful resolution of
the problem of the Ibo elite if the federal government
regains control of Biafra. Federal leaders appear firmly
committed to the division of the former Eastern Region
into three states--a factor which has won considerable support
for Lagos among the Eastern minority tribes. If the Eastern
Region is so divided, the Ibo elite would be confined to a
very small, essentially rural area. These Ibos would not be
accepted with ease in the other two eastern states or the
Midwest State, and they would probably be afraid to move to
the northern states. The Western and Lagos States already
have a relative abundance of trained manpower among the
Yorubas. Under the best of circumstances the confinement
of the majority of the Ibo elite would provide significant
problems for neighboring states, and under the circumstances
which would prevail after the war, this situation would
probably be a continuing source of serious trouble.

http://maxsiollun./my-book/
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Ibime(m): 1:36pm On Jun 30, 2009
Max Siollun, Nairalands resident historian. . . . keep it coming!. . . .
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Bialegend(m): 1:48pm On Jun 30, 2009
Over a million Ibos lived in the former Northern Region, and because of their education and ambition,
they held the best jobs.

This should be the order of today if nigeria is to be any better. When illiterates hold on to most sensitive posts in any country, such country is bound to be a failed one.

The Hausa-Fulanis regarded the Ibos as pushy, arrogant, treacherous, greedy, and of course pagan.

Of course, that is same everywhere by all the lazy people against the educated and hardworking class. Arab hatred against the Americans comes to mind.

The depth of the anti-Ibo sentiment was demonstrated during the September-October 1966 riots in the Northern Region during which at least 7,000 and possibly twice that many Ibos were killed.
And this have continued till lthis date and some moronic people still ask why the Igbos wanted out of that silly luggard's cage called nigeria. ONE nigeria my foot.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Bialegend(m): 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2009
The Yorubas are also basically anti-Ibo. The Westerners see the Ibos as rivals for the better jobs.
Exactely the reason why the Yorubas are arrslicking the awusas who happens to be the illiterate dummies chosen by the british to help in containing the Igbos.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 30, 2009
Interesting piece.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Litmus: 6:17pm On Jun 30, 2009
Irrelevant in its own sake, useful only as a historic reminder of mistakes to avoid in future---
Otherwise why remind us of the obvious, I mean if things had been rosy, there would not have been a war in the first place would there?
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by russellino: 6:28pm On Jun 30, 2009
Wow. Its amazing, this report could have been written as recent as last week. Its all come to pass except the idea in paragraph 2 where it said "the Federal Govt would never let any one tribe dominate the country''. The middle belters did indeed rule most of the time but we know it was the Hausa/Fulani clique that ran the show and decided who would represent them. Unlike Britain and the decrepit USSR the U.S was the only world power that didnt join hands with the F.G against Biafra and her people even though they didnt speak out against the genocide. @litmus its not irrelevant because that 40 year old report is spot-on accurate about whats going on now and guess what? the U.S has published a few more about us and i'll be crushed not to pay attention. Nice one Max Siollun you do know your onions!!
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by blacksta(m): 6:34pm On Jun 30, 2009
PLease abeg -- what nonsense
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Litmus: 6:45pm On Jun 30, 2009
@russellino

Just can’t see the relevance outside of the warning of history, as I mentioned, and perhaps as mischief, especially as most of us are already familiar with the information.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by russellino: 7:03pm On Jun 30, 2009
@litmus
fine we cant change history but arent you a bit interested to note how accurate the report was and what the future holds based on the universally acknowledged facet that history is the greatest teacher and always repeats itself at least in varying ways
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Tudor6(f): 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2009
Looking at that report, i can help but feel sad. . .
Our diversity which is meant to be a blessing is now OUR CURSE.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by ikeyman00(m): 7:24pm On Jun 30, 2009
hmmm gbatti

any suprise there? eh

cool
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by bawomolo(m): 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2009
good job max. i plan to get your book soon.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by russellino: 8:03pm On Jun 30, 2009
i remember when it was popular gist that just after the annulment of june 12, MKO met with Ojukwu to sound him out on what he thought of the matter. As legend has it , Ojukwu said "Moshood my friend, goodmorning and welcome to Nigeria". Nigeria has been on the wrong footing since 1966 and all the crap going on now in the niger delta is not new, especially not to the people of the south-east. God dey
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by shotster50(m): 6:44am On Jul 01, 2009
Reading the report, one would almost think it was written yesterday. Its a shame that the sentiments felt in the 60s still haunt us today.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 01, 2009
The domination is about coming to an end.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Afam(m): 8:42am On Jul 01, 2009
russellino:

i remember when it was popular gist that just after the annulment of june 12, MKO met with Ojukwu to sound him out on what he thought of the matter. As legend has it , Ojukwu said "Moshood my friend, goodmorning and welcome to Nigeria". Nigeria has been on the wrong footing since 1966 and all the crap going on now in the niger delta is not new, especially not to the people of the south-east. God dey

The content in bold refers, you may want to confirm the identity of the good morning response. I think he told that to Saro Wiwa and not MKO. Just check to be sure sha.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by dnex(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2009
That report has not taught me anything new. Except of course I find the mention of a Sea Port in the East very absurd.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by SamMilla1(m): 11:39am On Jul 01, 2009
Like i always say :

its only a matterof time before the educated and more haedworking people returns to lead the country.

it wont matter where they come from but the balance of power is inevitable
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by naijaking1: 4:30pm On Jul 01, 2009
dnex:

That report has not taught me anything new. Except of course I find the mention of a Sea Port in the East very absurd.

Another Ijaw ethnic jingoism cool
1960s: the East had a sea port-- Port Harcourt.
Of course you can argue all you want that PH is not an eastern city, but that's besides the reality. The World knows better angry
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by naijaking1: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2009
Litmus:

@russellino

Just can’t see the relevance outside of the warning of history, as I mentioned, and perhaps as mischief, especially as most of us are already familiar with the information.
Can't see the relevance of history, the truth, and honesty
No wonder Nigeria is never going to improve unde rthe present ideology
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Ibime(m): 4:34pm On Jul 01, 2009
naijaking1:

Another Ijaw ethnic jingoism cool
1960s: the East had a sea port-- Port Harcourt.
Of course you can argue all you want that PH is not an eastern city, but that's besides the reality. The World knows better angry

You are a clown. . . . always looking for trouble anytime Ijaw is mentioned. . . . Dnex is a barbarian who hates Igbo and Ijaw equally. . . . . I dont even think the idiot is a bini man sef. . . .
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by naijaking1: 4:40pm On Jul 01, 2009
With or without love for the Igbos and Ijaws, why would anybody have a problem with historical facts?
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 01, 2009
some day the US prediction that Nigeria will soon be a failed state in 15years will come to reality and some will wonder if the report was written yesterday.

I think we just need to be honest about our future.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by RichyBlacK(m): 5:53pm On Jul 01, 2009
That the Igbos still maintain a very strong presence in all facets of the Nigerian experience, both within and beyond the boarders of Nigeria, is something that must have come as a rude shock to all the surviving elements within the Nigerian establishment bent on genocide against them.

All those who are against tyranny and oppression should commend the Igbos for standing strong even against all the atrocities meted against them by a misguided Nigerian government.

The failed genocide started because the January 15 1966 coup led by mainly Igbo officers was tagged "an Igbo coup". And the logic of the lazy mind, the logic of the inept soul, the logic of the crude barbarian - guilt by association; collective punishment - was used to target Igbos in many parts of Nigeria.

After 40 years of deliberate marginalization of Igbos in almost all sectors of governance in Nigeria, the Nigerian government is even worse off. how so? Uselessness!
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by dnex(m): 5:59pm On Jul 01, 2009
People, what are all these insults for? The US report said there'll be a seaport in the East Central and I really don't think it makes sense. If it did, maybe we'd have it by now.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by RichyBlacK(m): 5:59pm On Jul 01, 2009
II. Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba Intentions Toward the Ibos
4. There is of course no love lost between the Hausa-
Fulanis and the Ibos, and even before the first military
coup in January 1966 there was much pent-up anti-Ibo senti-
ment in the north. Over a million Ibos lived in the former
Northern Region, and because of their education and ambition,
they held the best jobs. The Hausa-Fulanis regarded the
Ibos as pushy, arrogant, treacherous, greedy, and of course
pagan. The depth of the anti-Ibo sentiment was demonstrated
during the September-October 1966 riots in the Northern
Region during which at least 7,000 and possibly twice that
many Ibos were killed.

The useless Nigerian government stood by, and probably gave logistical support, to the massacre of Igbos in 1966. What a shame! angry

We must never allow this kind of madness happen again. But the Nigerian government is probably more useless today than in any other time in Nigeria's history. So, it may very well happen again.
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by naijaking1: 6:37pm On Jul 01, 2009
RichyBlacK:

[color=#550000]II. Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba Intentions Toward the Ibos
The useless Nigerian government stood by, and probably gave logistical support, to the massacre of Igbos in 1966. What a shame! angry

We must never allow this kind of madness happen again. But the Nigerian government is probably more useless today than in any other time in Nigeria's history. So, it may very well happen again.

Easy, Ricky easy shocked
Man no go pop an artery for these people-o
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by RichyBlacK(m): 7:42pm On Jul 01, 2009
naijaking1:

Easy, Ricky easy shocked
Man no go pop an artery for these people-o

@naijaking1,

I'm just tired of the way the government behaves. They never get anything right, whether in the past or present. The future? I ain't holding my breadth.

Check this out: I was watching a Nigerian home video with a Cameroonian friend some days ago and she asked "why do the houses always have those tanks beside them?". So, I explained to her that most houses have them to store water. She was like "why should they need it?". Then I went into the details: pumping machines are used to pull water from the ground (bore hole or well) and pushed up to the tanks; the tanks are elevated so that gravity can be relied on to push the water to the taps, toilet cisterns, showers, etc. Then she asked the killer question: "can't they just get water from the public supply?". I was speechless!
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by ezeagu(m): 7:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
AMERICA must have developed a time machine in 1969. . . . . . .
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by naijaking1: 9:02pm On Jul 01, 2009
@Rickyblack
Anybody that comes up with a meaningful solution to water scarcity will not see the light of day, that's how negative the Nigerian environment is.
Soon, we go dey travel to Cameroon for "oversea" trip.
We started going to Britain, US, Russia, France; now we make do with Ghana, and Angola. Soon, Cameroonians will come tell us how to wipe our behind shocked
Re: United States Government Memo On Biafra by maxsiollun: 11:31pm On Jul 01, 2009
Thanks Bawomolo. Do let me have your thoughts on it too after you have read it. I want reader feedback.

bawomolo:

good job max. i plan to get your book soon.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbomina State Out Of Kwara State / Pdp Mega Rally Live On Ait. Who Controls Port-harcourt? Pdp Or Apc. / Comrade Dino Melaye Is A Graduate Of ABU Zaria, Ex S.U.G president

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.