Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister (22348 Views)

'Buhari Revive Ajaokuta Steel Company': Nigerian Youths Protest In Abuja (Pics) / Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Mr. Kayode Fayemi / Okonjo-iweala Connived With World Bank, IMF To Write Off Ajaokuta Steel Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Generalkorex(m): 10:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 03, 2016
Obiagelli:
There has been this cry about the government focusing on anti corruption when in actual fact it has been media that has turned a blind eye to other activities of government.
I will try to get these activities out for those interested in the fiscal policy of government.

Obinoscopy, lalasticlala

Wrong

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by LovesonBlezz(m): 11:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
let him come and revive alscon in akwa ibom....d price of aluminium in d market is almost equivalent to dat of oil
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Ezeonwa(m): 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
NOI called it Elephant project in her book titled reforming the unreformable but they criticised her for non patriotism

3 Likes

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by K9blunt(f): 11:15pm On Feb 03, 2016
Obiagelli:
There has been this cry about the government focusing on anti corruption when in actual fact it has been media that has turned a blind eye to other activities of government.
I will try to get these activities out for those interested in the fiscal policy of government.

Obinoscopy, lalasticlala

Please do, I have been indifferent of news and nairaland politics of late because of the focus on the curruption fight.

Something new and current aside corruption war, and staled news of book haram and Nigerian military fight is what is needed for us to know which way we are going.

More grease to your elbow if you can do what you just stated.
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by FILEBE(m): 11:15pm On Feb 03, 2016
theoptimist298:
From this comment, i think Women truely belong in the kitchen. Idiat
Omg! Han han! What has she done to deserve this kind of insult na?
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by tomdon(m): 11:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
Obiagelli:

Obinoscopy, lalasticlala

Lame!
so budget defence is what you term activity.
propaganda girl!

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by tomdon(m): 11:32pm On Feb 03, 2016
theoptimist298:

not all women tho. but certainly this one

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by tomdon(m): 11:32pm On Feb 03, 2016
theoptimist298:

not all women tho. but certainly this one

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by tomdon(m): 11:36pm On Feb 03, 2016
FILEBE:

Omg! Han han! What has she done to deserve this kind of insult na?

so you're still asking what she did. its obvious that you, like her, lack serious grey matter.
how can she refer to budget defence as activities of government as if they're already implementing the budget

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by booblacain(m): 11:54pm On Feb 03, 2016
Raddie:
Now where is the "WHY" here!

Honestly bro, I did not get anything from this op. Why are Nigerians so ok with vague infos. The minister did not tell us why $10 billion has been spent without result neither did he tell us why more money spent will be a waist. Miss Obiagelli, where is the why here?

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by FILEBE(m): 12:01am On Feb 04, 2016
tomdon:

so you're still asking what she did. its obvious that you, like her, lack serious grey matter.
how can she refer to budget defence as activities of government as if they're already implementing the budget

Oga. Calling her names was uncalled for. You would have done better without insults. Even when you now making sense your first senseless impression messed up whatever you will be spewing afterwards.

3 Likes

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Revolva(m): 12:10am On Feb 04, 2016
The place aat night looks like a space shuttle centre....but you won't know it's a white elephant project a big failure

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 04, 2016
grandstar:
That is Nigeria's largest white elephant!

The plant is a very unproductive plant compared to the super modern ones today.

Also there is a massive glut of steel inn the world market from China.

China has an excess capacity of over 250m tons. These has led to the dumping of steel and the EU and America have been forced to impose anti-dumping duties on chinese steel.

Its far cheaper to import than to make steel locally. Making steel here will put local users at a competitive disadvantage due to very steep prices.

Govt should do the needful. They should dynamite the place and ring it for miles with mines and lease the place out to ISIS

Please, please just shut up. It's saboteurs like yourself that have put Nigeria in the mess that it is now!

Ajaokuta is only a white elephant because saboteurs paid by India and the US have refused to let it work since it's inception. So what if it's cheaper to import steel (which I can in no way believe)?! Are you ignoring the direct and indirect jobs, revenue and taxes to the economy and contribution to the general industrialisation?!

6 Likes

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by sapientia(m): 12:28am On Feb 04, 2016
urchmanx:
I thought someone was accusing the past govt. of deliberately working with the world in giving fake report on the status of that project. Hope this is the time of telling the truth.
https://www.nairaland.com/2844547/okonjo-iweala-connived-world-bank-imf

You saved me the trouble.. I wanted to look for this
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by 1kinggy(m): 12:31am On Feb 04, 2016
grandstar:

China has an excess capacity of over 250m tons. These has led to the dumping of steel and the EU and America have been forced to impose anti-dumping duties on chinese steel.

Its far cheaper to import than to make steel locally. Making steel here will put local users at a competitive disadvantage due to very steep prices.

Govt should do the needful. They should dynamite the place and ring it for miles with mines and lease the place out to ISIS

You were making sense until you mentioned ISIS. We have our own local devils. We don't need a foreign demon.

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Infomizer(m): 12:54am On Feb 04, 2016
I really don't understand why it should take 1 year. Justice delayed!

"It is the day that we confront danger that we subdue it" - Yoruba proverb

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Cholison(m): 1:09am On Feb 04, 2016
What a Minister? What a government? My fears are increasing and rightly sp going by Dr. Fayemi's approach.
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by grandstar(m): 1:16am On Feb 04, 2016
og2711:

Please, please just shut up. It's saboteurs like yourself that have put Nigeria in the mess that it is now!

Ajaokuta is only a white elephant because saboteurs paid by India and the US have refused to let it work since it's inception. So what if it's cheaper to import steel (which I can in no way believe)?! Are you ignoring the direct and indirect jobs, revenue and taxes to the economy and contribution to the general industrialisation?!

The truth seems to be bitter.

Ajaokuta steel plant using Soviet technology was already considered obsolete in the 1980's.

There is a massive glut of steel from China and they are exporting it below cost. Chinas overcapacity is 250m and no other country in the world produces up to 150m of steel. Yet China excess capacity is 250m!

If we do decide to produce steel locally, it will be too expensive putting local end users at a disadvantage.

For every job that Ajaokuta creates in its factory if it does take off, 5 will be lost outside because their overpriced steel will adversely affect end users

2 Likes

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by sharpchap: 1:55am On Feb 04, 2016
Ajaokuta doesn't have outdated equipment. It has WRONG equipment. Iron ore is of different types. Ajaokuta ore is called pisolitic ore, the equipment that has been put there can only be used for primary ore( the type found in Russia). Ask any geologist.

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by ohenhen1: 2:34am On Feb 04, 2016
Sell Ajaokuta

Build a new plant for Nigeria.
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by wizzymate(m): 3:14am On Feb 04, 2016
They keep talking about Ajaokuta steel company, what about Delta steel company?
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by wizzymate(m): 3:20am On Feb 04, 2016
They keep talking about Ajaokuta steel company, what about Delta steel company that the indians ended up ruining and selling off all the spare equipments the Germans brought initially. Delta steel doesn't need up to a billion dollars to start working again but the powers that be won't let it happen.
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by justmenoni: 3:22am On Feb 04, 2016
Some ppl won't read the post carefully ooo instead they'd start accussing GEJ...I think GEJ is the most used word last year and this year lol
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Nobody: 3:22am On Feb 04, 2016
Things will soon change. Minister hold on......
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Nobody: 4:32am On Feb 04, 2016
This Fayemi is saying he is devoid of ideas.

I think it is time to redeploy or sack him.

instead of think of innovative and creative solutions he is here making excuses for failure.

Abeg this ministry is too important for our diversification plans to be handed to a negative and bewildered minister.

Give the ministry to Ogbonnaya Onu.

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by MisterGrace: 6:00am On Feb 04, 2016
grandstar:

what a mentality. I will be back.
Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by Godmann(m): 6:01am On Feb 04, 2016
grandstar:

Keep off what you know little about. Every sane country needs a steel company.

Judging from your false analogy, why won't US and Europe close down their steel companies and buy cheaper ones from China? Why go the length of protecting to make their people pay higher price?

If we think manufacturing and self sufficient, we must have a steel company.

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by kgr8mike(m): 6:08am On Feb 04, 2016
Dear president Buhari,

Kindly probe the Ajaokuta steel project. The amount invested without having anything to show for it is an insult to our common sence.

We can't continue like this.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister by olipo: 6:14am On Feb 04, 2016
I was born in ajaokuta and I also grew up here,we grew up un ajaokuta with these dream of it been completed one day but that never happened and I still wish it will someday be a reality but the truth be told ajaokuta is like an old you can not sell it yet you can not make use of it.most of its the machines in ajaokuta are either outdated or has being stolen and sold off,I urge the govt to make critical analysis of the whole situation before throwing scarce resources into the "bottomless" pit....missed A.J tho.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Produces High-grade Security Merchandise Locally - IGP Idris (photos) / Boko Haram Terrorists Planning To Attack Borno Killed By Soldiers (Photos) / Prince Deji Arrested Over 'No Secret Trial' Protest For Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.