Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment (24016 Views)

DSS Crackdown: Judgements That Landed Judges In Trouble / This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements / APC ‘influencing’ Tribunal Judgements Is Worse Than Corruption, Fayose Counsels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Nobody: 1:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
asha80:
blame the court of appeal in Lagos..they are the ones that set the ball rolling on the card reader issue

Yes. The CJN said that much at the recent Conference of The Court of Appeal Judges. My take however is that The SCN as the Apex Court had a bounden duty to correct such positions of the Law as laid down by The Court of Appeal that tends to cast aspersions on the Judiciary. Thanks for a response I consider stimulating.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by asha80(m): 1:28pm On Feb 04, 2016
odeotito:

Yes. The CJN said that much at the recent Conference of The Court of Appeal Judges. My take however is that The SCN as the Apex Court had a bounden duty to correct such positions of the Law as laid down by The Court of Appeal that tends to cast aspersions on the Judiciary. Thanks for a response I consider stimulating.
there is nothing to correct in that position the court of appeal took in lagos by the supreme court because court of appeal was right...the card reader is not part of the electoral law as it is just an aid to it..inec and nass should have made amendments to the electoral law to accommodate or include card reader..well they did not(I hope the do now if greed on part of mass would agree before 2019) so what the supreme court has just done is to interpret the law pure and simple..it is just that people who did not complain or find anything wrong when the court of appeal in lagos made that pronouncement are arguing now that the supreme court has decided to make that pronouncement uniform

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 04, 2016
asha80:
there is nothing to correct in that position the court of appeal took in lagos by the supreme court because court of appeal was right...the card reader is not part of the electoral law as it is just an aid to it..inec and nass should have made amendments to the electoral law to accommodate or include card reader..well they did not(I hope the do now if greed on part of mass would agree before 2019) so what the supreme court has just done is to interpret the law pure and simple..it is just that people who did not complain or find anything wrong when the court of appeal in lagos made that pronouncement are arguing now that the supreme court has decided to make that pronouncement uniform

I'm on all fours with you on the position of the card reader in the CFRN and ELECTORAL LAW but expected The SCN to interpret the Law in a manner that will save the card reader! Anyway, we wait for February 12, 2015 when the SCN will give the reason(s) for the judgment. Regards!
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Kiakia(m): 1:55pm On Feb 04, 2016
The Supreme Court judgment in this political cases are following a particular pattern. No doubt, decisions on them have already been reached even before the adoption of addresses by counsel. In other words, the judgments are contrived and made to favour a particular political party to the detriment of the party which lost. Rivers and Akwa Ibom elections ought not to stand as they were marred with irregularities as rightly held by the the two lower courts. These judgments do not sit well with our democratic experiment. Political parties will now go back to the drawing board and perfect the act of rigging and violence in elections since the party that rigs more and causes more violence will always secure victory at the Supreme Court. Those judgments will not pass any strict legal scrutiny since they were products of political consideration.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by GoldEnyong(m): 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
You must have drank contaminated ethernol the second time. You only speak like a 4yrs old.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by ozimec(m): 2:33pm On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty:
I am not an APC groupie. Neither am I a PDP zombie. I have been a strong critic of the Buhari govt. I have opened threads to lambast the current APC government.

However. The truth must be told. It is shameful that the supreme court will affirm elections that both the national and international communities have condemned for the mindless rigging that the marred the election.

Two case studies are the Rivers and akwa ibom state governorship elections that were marred with electoral malpractices. both the tribunal and the court of appeal validated the fact thar bothe elections were rigged without an iota of conscience. yet the supreme court shamelessly validated those rigged elections to the surprise of Nigerians and the world at last.

The supreme court judgement of late has become a national and international embarrassment. And our highest court in the land is beginning to lose their reputation.

The supreme court is beginning to emerge as the greaest threat to free and fair elections in Nigeria.

Mixty

Supreme Court judgements are based on inability of therrespondents to provide convincing evidences to support their claims not on hearsay besides, can you tell me any election conducted in Nigeria that was not mared by irregularities? We have not gotten there yet but I believe that we would get there soon. Look at the contradictory judgements given by lower courts in the case of Akwa ibom state, even the CJN frown at such judgements weeks ago. Personally I was expecting him (CJN) to make correction to such embarrassing judgments. My dear, if you have been following the proceedings, you will know that Supreme Court gave judgement based on what was presented to it not what anybody or group of people feel or hearsay.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Goke7: 3:19pm On Feb 04, 2016
asha80:
emotional hogwash..the appeal court in Lagos set the ball rolling when they ruled that card reader(and rightly so) was not part of the electoral law..let the present inec and nass amend the law to include card reader

Apart from card reader, you think another round of
elections in rivers and akwa ibom would have been peaceful? Common, its like a judge disqualifying gej or pmb before the elections last year, sometimes judges consider the environment too.

The political tension in the land is too much for elections now
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by fayol123: 4:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
Where are we?
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Oz4realsss: 4:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
Tell me the election that was not marred with malpractice. Is it the underage voting in the North that is not a malpractice?
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by jarofbeauty: 4:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
You are entitled to your own opinion. The Presidential election was free and fair abi? With massive rigging and underage voters in the North. The S.C will give the reason for their decision. If you don't like it, you can jump into the lagoon. Nonsense! When everyone one knows that APC was rejected in all those states.
Mixty:
I am not an APC groupie. Neither am I a PDP zombie. I have been a strong critic of the Buhari govt. I have opened threads to lambast the current APC government.

However. The truth must be told. It is shameful that the supreme court will affirm elections that both the national and international communities have condemned for the mindless rigging that the marred the election.

Two case studies are the Rivers and akwa ibom state governorship elections that were marred with electoral malpractices. both the tribunal and the court of appeal validated the fact thar bothe elections were rigged without an iota of conscience. yet the supreme court shamelessly validated those rigged elections to the surprise of Nigerians and the world at last.

The supreme court judgement of late has become a national and international embarrassment. And our highest court in the land is beginning to lose their reputation.

The supreme court is beginning to emerge as the greaest threat to free and fair elections in Nigeria.

Mixty
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by femeritus: 1:30pm On Apr 16, 2016
wolu4:
I Ave prepared. Ur indomie come let me feed u b4 it gets cold. Mteeeeeeeechw see reasoning now # so childish

I have never traded words with anyone on this forum before but since you are very foolish, I will just say, it is either you are mentally deranged or you are VERY drunk to have written this rubbish.Are you from a different planet? Google is your friend so educate yourself about the controversies surrounding decisions of the Court of Appeal. Find out about the allegations levelled against one time President of the Appeal Court. A word of advice too, go and learn grammar for at least 4 years before attempting to comment again. Nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cute Photos Of Reno Omokri And His Children / Omowumi Akande Is Dead! Bisi Akande Loses Wife / We Are Not Answerable To US, UK - Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.