Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? (36318 Views)

Poll: Are Examinations True Test Of Knowledge?

Yes: 33% (23 votes)
No: 60% (42 votes)
Others: 5% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Examination Is A True Test Of One's Ability / Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? / Exams Is Not The True Test Of Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:56pm On Jul 02, 2009
oyinda.:

i'm guessing JAMB and GRE are naija university entry exams
not saying they're better. but for them to be worse than sat, they must be really bad. because sat itself is not that great

Your guess is incorrect. GRE is not a Nigerian exam, it's American. SAT is to undergrad, what GRE is to grad school.

UME has good questions, however, the grading is hogwash! They approach the grading with about the same level of scrutiny that INEC gives to counting election results.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 10:57pm On Jul 02, 2009
MrCrackles:

I said it. . . . You are old as fuc.k!
Written all the exams in the world shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Well done daddy!

Put a sock in it, Brashy.

I said i have written MANY exams.
Are you dyslexic??
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by MrCrackles(m): 10:59pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

Put a sock in it, Brashy.
I said i have written MANY exams.
Are you dyslexic??

Old Soja! cheesy grin
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by bawomolo(m): 10:59pm On Jul 02, 2009
i heard the math on jamb is pretty tough. so you have to give them that.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 11:01pm On Jul 02, 2009
bawomolo:

i heard the math on jamb is pretty tough. so you have to give them that.

It's not tough. . . . .It's the time that kills people.
I scored 80 in it. . . , The highest in the 4 subjects i took back then.
And i wrote the exams for a bet i had with ma dad.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by bawomolo(m): 11:05pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

see this chronic gambler. i see that's where your addiction started cheesy
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:05pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

Marked with wrong answers? I beg to differ.

I have written many exams in this WORLD but the UME exam i wrote had to be the most thrilling.
The fear of negative marking coupled with the short time one is expected to complete it are just nerve-wrecking.
It is by far the hardest exam i have taken, the atmosphere was electrifying.

Negative marking? This is a ruse to hide glaring inefficiencies and inaccuracies in their grading system!

What is the deduction for each wrong answer? The follow-up question to this one will expose the UME.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by oyinda3(f): 11:06pm On Jul 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Your guess is incorrect. GRE is not a Nigerian exam, it's American. SAT is to undergrad, what GRE is to grad school.

UME has good questions, however, the grading is hogwash! They approach the grading with about the same level of scrutiny that INEC gives to counting election results.

so JAMB is for naija universities? what exam is used for naija grad schools??
what is UME??

yea i knew that about GRE  tongue
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:08pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

You bet with your papa? grin grin

Why?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by savanaha: 11:10pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

I have written many exams but JAMB's UME was the trickiest. . . . .
Gosh. . . . .It was a THRILL.
SAT, GMAT, GRE are shyte compared to UME.

Do you have to take the GRE if you have taken the GMAT?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 11:11pm On Jul 02, 2009
bawomolo:

see this chronic gambler. i see that's where your addiction started  cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin

My old man challenged me and i ensured i took all his money.
I went to Naija to study for the exams for about 2 months.
Do Nigerian students still use Chemistry by Ababio? I read that book till it tore to 3 different pieces. grin
It was a nice experience and the most thrilling i have ever had in any exam till date.

RichyBlacK:

Negative marking? This is a ruse to hide glaring inefficiencies and inaccuracies in their grading system!

Are you sure about this? Why would they be inefficient.
Marking exams can't be that difficult. . . .you really underestimate Nigerians o.

What is the deduction for each wrong answer? The follow-up question to this one will expose the UME.

Each question is 2 marks. . . . .If you score 40/50. . . .then it's effectively 30/50.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by bawomolo(m): 11:11pm On Jul 02, 2009
savanaha:

Do you have to take the GRE if you have taken the GMAT?

GMAT is for business school (MBA). GRE is for the other majors.

some accept both either way.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 02, 2009
US exams are a test of knowledge, Nigerian exams are a test of cramming skills.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by oyinda3(f): 11:16pm On Jul 02, 2009
davidylan:

lol
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:17pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

grin grin grin grin grin

My old man challenged me and i ensured i took all his money.
I went to Naija to study for the exams for about 2 months.
Do Nigerian students still use Chemistry by Ababio? I read that book till it tore to 3 different pieces. grin
It was a nice experience and the most thrilling i have ever had in any exam till date.

Are you sure about this? Why would they be inefficient.
Marking exams can't be that difficult. . . .you really underestimate Nigerians o.

Each question is 2 marks. . . . .If you score 40/50. . . .then it's effectively 30/50.

Yep, I've heard this before.

So, if this formula is used, then raw scores of less than 50% (25/50) will result in negative scores!

1. Have you had anyone got negative scores in UME?
2. Also, that formula you gave cannot account for odd-numbered scores like 67/100.

You see my point?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:18pm On Jul 02, 2009
davidylan:

Much closer to the truth.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 11:22pm On Jul 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Yep, I've heard this before.

So, if this formula is used, then a raw score of less than 50% (25/50) will result in negative scores!

1. Have you had anyone got negative scores in UME?
2. Also, that formula you gave cannot account for odd-numbered scores like 67/100.

You see my point?

I am half-convinced. grin grin grin

But i agree they should come out and tell their candidates how the exams are marked.
Maybe some questions carry more marks than the others.
Some questions are just read-throughs and you know the answers(questions like TRUE OR FALSE). . . .those ones would carry less marks than the ones involving a bit of math.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:31pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

I am half-convinced. grin grin grin

But i agree they should come out and tell their candidates how the exams are marked.
Maybe some questions carry more marks than the others.

The simplest way to know that the UME is a pile of crap is this: How come nobody has ever got 400/400? (At least I've never heard of it; it shouldn't be rare; it should happen every two years at least!)

No matter how hard you make an exam, there are people that will smash EVERY SINGLE question. How come it's not true with UME?

Even the GRE has produced 2400/2400 or 1600/1600 many times. Tough schools like MIT and CalTech have produced 4.0/4.0 many many times.

Why is it that the UME gives this false impression that a perfect score is impossible. Abi no be humans set the questions? All the questions are based on concepts that are at least 75 years old. There are no open problems in the UME. It's just an entrance exam!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sauron1: 11:36pm On Jul 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

The simplest way to know that the UME is a pile of crap is this: How come nobody has ever got 400/400? (At least I've never heard of it; it shouldn't be rare; it should happen every two years at least!)

Einstein wouldn't score 400/400 in that exam.
People fail to achieve 400/400 not necessarily because the exam is tough but the short time allocated to each subject.
45 mins for 50 tough questions is a killer in that stuffy examination centre.

No matter how hard you make an exam, there are people that will smash EVERY SINGLE question. How come it's not true with UME?
Even the GRE has produced 2400/2400 or 1600/1600 many times. Tough schools like MIT and CalTech have produced 4.0/4.0 many many times.

MIT boys will choke with UME. . . . . . .That exam is mental.
I opened the examination paper and i had a temporary memory loss for about few minutes. . . .The recovery rate here is the KEY.
If one fails to recover in time then it's voila.

Why is it that the UME gives this false impression that a perfect score is impossible. Abi no be humans set the questions? All the questions are based on concepts that are at least 75 years old. There are no open problems in the UME. It's just an entrance exam!

I dunno anyone who claims to have finished that exam before.
To finish that exam, you must GUESS.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Ndipe(m): 11:41pm On Jul 02, 2009
No
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:45pm On Jul 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

MIT boys will choke with UME. . . . . . .That exam is mental.
I opened the examination paper and i had a temporary memory loss for about few minutes. . . .The recovery rate here is the KEY.
If one fails to recover in time then it's voila.

That exam is not hard as you make it out to be. Some MIT boys will chew the math in 20 minutes and score 50/50. But UME will use wrong answers with unknown/flawed grading mechanism and score them 85/100.

You want to tell me in 30 years, there has not been a single perfect score, not even in a subject like Biology (which requires only quick memory), and you think it's normal?

I read, while still in Nigeria, that the UME is not graded with negative marking.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by slimfine(f): 12:40am On Jul 03, 2009
nope! I can't tell you how many times people loose their cool under pressure in an exam hall over material they have breathe, read, and undertood!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by nich(m): 4:30am On Jul 03, 2009
Q: Are exams a true test of knowledge?
A: I think it depends on what the exam is truly about.

some of them are not totally about how much knowledge you possess of the subject, but what you can produce with your knowledge within a given time-frame. some others are basically compiled to help the examiner attempt to map/chart how beautiful the student's mind is.

just ma 20kobo! cheesy
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by SMSguru(m): 5:53am On Jul 03, 2009
Examination is a true test of discipline and knowledge but you can't know if you are not disciplined enough to sit down and read in order to know.

But what about that buy somebody to write the exams for them?

Cut the crap!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by ziquishar(f): 7:38am On Jul 03, 2009
First the WAEC where we have so many using the so called 'special centres', then JAMB of which we have no clue as to what is happening, then our universities where our half-baked lecturers expect to put down exactly what we have been thought, nothing out of their context or you will be penalized, only a few of them know what they teach and you say examinations are true test of knowledge. THAT'S A VERY BIG LIE. LETS RE-SHUFFLE OUR SYSTEM AND TRY TO PUT SENSIBLE PEOPLE. MAYBE THEN WE CAN HAVE REAL EXAMINATIONS. angry
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by sssob: 9:04am On Jul 03, 2009
absolute nonsense angry i hate them , gmat, gre, or watever, rubbish

after reading for six years coming out with a 2.1, smart and creative, and then told u have to do secondary school maths and english to get a job, stupid nonsense, why didnt they employ me when i was writing the test then , like they will use it when they employ you, you even have to pay to write the bloody tests , Haba,

this country makes me cry at times cry, horrible setting for brilliant people,
if you dont get the job u went to school to study for because of some stupid tests or stupid interview or not know man, society will ridicule you and make you feel less, the only time you get to rise above that is when you have money and connection then people will appreciate your self employment situation, there is just no dignity in labour. if you start your own biz too, to employ others will require you being extra vigilant as your so called employees will reap you off,
wrong setting, all wrong,
no body should tell me about test oo or examination ooooo, rubbish waste of useful time

Anyway i still dey survive sha smiley like dare sang, i will live and i will not die, am nigerian and i no go fit lie , survival is the name of the game ,
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by FBS: 9:18am On Jul 03, 2009
Exams are biaaaaatches. Memory and mental recovery rate is the key. (assuming you have something in your head tongue grin).

Are exams true test of knowlegde? me thinks its depends on the field.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Rogo: 9:25am On Jul 03, 2009
i support my dear brother [b[size=20pt]]djfiki[/size][/b]
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nezan(m): 9:34am On Jul 03, 2009
FBS:

Are exams true test of knowlegde? me thinks its depends on the field.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by sley4life(m): 10:22am On Jul 03, 2009
sometimes but not all times
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by iice(f): 10:25am On Jul 03, 2009
Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge?

No. True test of cramming maybe grin
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by willy13: 10:32am On Jul 03, 2009
No,depending on the situation that warrant your application of the knowledge gotten
throu the examination

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why We Can't Employ The ATBU Graduate Who Built Drone - VC / Overall 4th Best Candidate In The 2019 UTME Gets Scholarship (pictures) / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.