Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? (36316 Views)

Poll: Are Examinations True Test Of Knowledge?

Yes: 33% (23 votes)
No: 60% (42 votes)
Others: 5% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Examination Is A True Test Of One's Ability / Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? / Exams Is Not The True Test Of Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by itumama: 10:37am On Jul 03, 2009
As far as education is concerned, examination is still the best way to test inteligent,abilty,mentality and knowledge.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Ajayiawo: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2009
Since there is no alternative way to test knowledge, Examination should be the true test of knowladge. For now there is no alternative way
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by anneduke: 4:08pm On Jul 03, 2009
no,i do not think so,especially in Nigeria.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Michael13(m): 8:35pm On Jul 03, 2009
in other countries especially western world yes but in africa xpecially naija nmba
cool
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Redman44(m): 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2009
I dont think Exams are a true test of knowledge. I believe the score awarded to me in my UME Examinations was manipulated. I studied hard for the exams and I was scored 207/400. Anyway, I'm a graduate now. I used the 207 score to secure my admission in a liberal arts course in UI. However, I know I'm gifted naturally and I have a unique thinking ability which is helping me tremendously now.

Many great men in the world today never really cared about exams while they were schooling. I believe more in personal research and reading up on things than coming to sit in a hall to answer some questions in other to be awarded a certificate.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:12am On Jul 04, 2009
Examination is not the best way of testing knowledge. Most of scholars of phsycology of education agreed on it, but yet they do not find another way to test a Knowledge. lets first define Whats knowledge? Knowledge is information or awareness gained through experience of education (a layman definition).
There4 if knwledge is an experience or awareness u assimilated in the pass definately it can be forgetable and remembered. So when u were ask at a giving time about a subject matter u ve experienced and u cant give an account of it at thesame of the question that does not mean u dont knw.
I had a phsycology of Educatn lecturer in those days. He never fail a student as long as u ve attendance. His words always was, I knw i tot u what i'm askn u , and during lecture when i asked u any question the class reply no. Thats mean u all knw wat i tot u so no justification in failln u in exams.
Let me put it in a small practice. When an answer to a question is i dont knw. Thats means u fail. But when u make an attempt to the correct answer u get scores. What matters always is grade. Its in that grade people are failing not in either they re knowledgeable or not.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by elyte(m): 5:00am On Jul 04, 2009
NEVER.IT HAS NEVER BEEN ESPECIALLY IN NIGERIA WHERE EXAM MALPRACTICES HAVE BECOME NORMS AND NO MORE NEWS.APART FROM THIS FACT,OUR EDUCATION IS SO SUBSTANDARD AND IT CANNOT STAND THE TEST OF OUR TIME.STUDENTS USE THE CRAMMERS RULE TO PASS EXAMS,SOME LADIES GIVE THIER LAPS FOR SCORES.EXAMS CONDUCTED BY WAEC,NECO,JAMB AND OUR HIGHER INSTITUTIONS ARE MERE NONSENSE.THE WAYS OUT INCLUDE
1)NOT LESS THAN 25% ALLOCATION FOR EDUCATION BY FEDERAL GOVT TO PROVIDE FACILITIES FOR OUR SCHOOLS
2)PROPER PUBLIC ORIENTATION AND ENLIGHTENMENT
3)SEVERE PUNISHMENT OF EXAM MALPRACTICES SHOULD BE STRICTLY PASS TO LAW
omooba20012006@yahoo.com http://www.trustedsitereviews.com/internetmoneymaker
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Pataki: 11:55am On Jul 04, 2009
@ Poster,

What kind of examination are you talking about - Verbal or Written Examination or both?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by U1(m): 3:06pm On Jul 04, 2009
In my own opinion, I think most people here are even confused. Sorry to say that though.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by U1(m): 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
I think the best thing here would be, for those who do not believe examination is the best test of knowledge, to recommend alternatives.

@ eldee

How does WAEC use an SS1-3 average??

From experience, WAEC does that. Besides, it stipulated in the syllabus that SSCE constitutes just 70% of the total marks.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHICH SIDE OF THE EXAM YOU ARE,
IF YOU PASS, THEN IT IS A TRUE TEST OF KNOWLEDGE,
BUT WHEN YOU FAIL, YOU SAY ITS NOT.
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

I dey feel you, kingbru.

@ RichyBlacK

The bureaucrats get excellent questions from teachers/professors in the respective fields, however, like most things Nigerian, they bungle up all the answers and grade the exam with wrong answers. If you doubt this, we can easily conduct an experiment to show this.

I think we need to see the experiment.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by U1(m): 3:56pm On Jul 04, 2009
@ RichyBlacK

I stand corrected, I think I can reason with your point of view of JAMB marking scheme.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by royalicon(m): 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2009
No oooooooooooooooooooo.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by lekside44(m): 7:33pm On Jul 04, 2009
it depends on the type of examination and the nature of the questions set. the SAT/GRE exams do not test your knowglege on disciplines such as physics, econs e.t.c rather, they are more of logic eng/ maths questions which test your intelligent. your knowledge can be accessed based on the questions you can answer within a stipulated time. this aslo test your speed and accuracy. i think the problem in nigeria is that examiantion had been bastardised. the real purpose is no longer the case
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 4:02am On Jul 05, 2009
;d
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by pinkyphant: 6:31am On Jul 05, 2009
I think examination is not a true test of knowledge, common sense
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by danaz(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2009
a good test of knowledge, NOT a true test of knowledge , especially in Naija
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 06, 2009
Its a pity how things turn out once they get to this our country
examination was meant to test you for acquired knowledge
not acquired lectures

but in Nigeria i have discovered that lecturers bring question in
areas they know you were not taught,
students fail exams not because they are not brilliant, enough
but because they were not prepared enough.

I've seen third classer's get good jobs, while 2.1 can't define their field.
in the educational system of Nigeria, "examination is not the true test
of knowledge, it is the only way"
the white man believes in you, the Nigerian employer believes in your paper.

we go to school to get jobs, but in advanced nation they go to school to
be empowered. thats why bill gates could afford to drop out of school and still
become a billionaire. but in Nigeria the paper is more important than the brain.

they learn under little stress, write simpler exams, but they are still better than us.
why?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by okotie800(m): 12:47am On Jul 06, 2009
In some cases,examination can be a true test of knowledge.Anyone who fails a written exam doesnt have a complete knowledge.He/she should be able to pass both the oral and the written exam.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nezan(m): 10:15am On Jul 06, 2009
okotie800:

In some cases,examination can be a true test of knowledge.Anyone who fails a written exam doesnt have a complete knowledge.He/she should be able to pass both the oral and the written exam.
<nodding in agreement>
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by mamae(f): 1:30pm On Jul 06, 2009
Nezan:

<nodding in agreement>
but there are some unforeseen circumstances whereby a candidate can be very ill during examination
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by jowea: 3:14pm On Jul 06, 2009
NO,cos even slowpoke fit pass exam 4 naija. cry
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by sleekymag(m): 3:04pm On Jul 07, 2009
D main reason why people think that exams are not a true test of knowledge especially in Nigeria is because of the level of malpractice. The system is flawed and it has eaten deep into d fabric of d society (i don't know if this has reduced now though). That's why JAMB cannot score anyone 400/400 even though it's a possible score. I remember one of the JAMBs i did way back, i ensured i was really prepared for it. And since i'm very good mathematically and in the sciences (not bragging here), i wrote the exams and came out of the hall full of confidence in d manner i tried to beat time (cos speed is d key in such exams). Hammering English Lang, Maths, Phy, and Chem, i was hoping for a score in d 300-range, only for the results to come out and find out that my result was seized. How frustrating that was. Not to forget my A1 in SSCE Maths in 95 amongst other subjects.

To me, the quality of education has dropped, corruption has blurred the lines between those really intelligent and those that are not. And that's why it seems exams are not a true test of knowledge anymore, but truth b told, it is still a true test of knowledge.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by lekside44(m): 8:15pm On Jul 07, 2009
for examination to make meaning, the structures of the questions should be diverse; your ability to remember, your ability to apply the rules such as formulars, your deep knowledge of the subject matters e.t.c. it should covers much of the stipulated syllabus and their should be sme logic questions in which the student should use its number 6 in answering
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by zibby(m): 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2009
Personally, I don't think exams are a good test of knoweldge, but agree that we have no real option to exams.  I have known many people who are very skilled/knowledgeable in their chosen fields, but tend to perform averagely (or even poorly) in exams.  This could be down to poor exam technique or nerves, not a lack of knowledge.

When all is said and done, potential employers need a way to select from the vast field of applicants, and exams are the best solution our society has come up with so far.  An imperfect system, but by and large it gets the job done.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by greatguy2: 9:28am On Jul 08, 2009
If u have been taught a course a like PHY 101,how else will ur knowledge of the course be accessed if not by Exams??
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Elizza(f): 12:47pm On Jul 09, 2009
great-guy, i guess you are an OAU student.

Exams are nt the only way to test ones knowledge, take for instance JAMB. Not every one that passes jamb is brilliant and not all those that fail are head-nuts.

I know those that do excellently well in practicals but are average when it comes to writing exams.
Now do you tell me that they have no knowledge of the subject they did excellently well in the practicals?
OR
Those that did la cram la pour in their exams and got an A are those that are truly knowledgeable in that subject?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by ebeson: 10:48am On Jul 10, 2009
Examination in Nigeria is rubbish in fact there is nothing like exam in Nigeria, tell me where someone comes into an exam hall with all the answer of that exam, tell me is that an exam? NO. in school a student  will go and  see a lecturer and some times a lecturer will force a student to come and pay him money after exam if not he will fail you, if you have your money in Nigeria you will have any grad you want . with all this is exam the true test of knowledge? in Nigeria your money is the true test of knowledge.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by lekside44(m): 11:57am On Jul 11, 2009
Elizza:

great-guy, i guess you are an OAU student.

Exams are nt the only way to test ones knowledge, take for instance JAMB. Not every one that passes jamb is brilliant and not all those that fail are head-nuts.

I know those that do excellently well in practicals but are average when it comes to writing exams.
Now do you tell me that they have no knowledge of the subject they did excellently well in the practicals?
OR
Those that did la cram la pour in their exams and got an A are those that are truly knowledgeable in that subject?
the question is how do those that are brillant fail the course and those that are not qualify to pass it do it?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by ProfJYK(m): 5:27pm On Jul 12, 2009
exams as a test of knowledge, its a lost cause. a defeated agenda.

in universities in nigeria, with so much pressure mounted on the students they read just to pass and not for the knowledge, embracing all methods (by crook or by crook) cramming their heads so full that any jolting movement b4 the exams will result in a loss or memmory. after the exams, they forget everything they crammed to make space for the nexr paper.

other means of test of knowledge should be devised and these should be based on interaction or/and practical methods.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by ibrokinase(m): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2009
CHIEF! How else do you xpect our knowledge to be tested? Even in the developed countries, exams are still written. For now there can be no substitutes for exams. We are stuck with exams for now. LIVE WITH IT
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by julianH(m): 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2009
Examination is supposed to be a test of knowledge but it is not really a test of one's knowledge because we have had cases of people that "performed" wonderfully in an examination without having anything upstairs.

Some people too are brilliant and intelligent but can not really perform well in an examination because of exam fever and all!!!!!!

And in naija, people do all manner of things to pass exams and when they come with such results, wetin we gp call am.

I think we should concentrate more on what people can offer practically instead of certificate.

Before you crucify me, I believe that exqaminations that are practical oriented could be an exception as long as the person no cheat!!!!!!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by nigboy(m): 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2010
I think examination is the worst test of knowledge

We need a better way of testing people's knowledge not just examination

Find out some top crip gang codes knowledge symbols

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why We Can't Employ The ATBU Graduate Who Built Drone - VC / Overall 4th Best Candidate In The 2019 UTME Gets Scholarship (pictures) / Burial Of 22 Students & Teachers Of Government Day Secondary School Misau Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.