Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,597 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University (14149 Views)

5 Teachers Sacked For Impregnating SS3 Student In Kebbi; The Student Expelled / SS2 Student Expelled For Sleeping With Classmate's Dad And Teacher's Husband / Photo Of The Kenyan Student Expelled From School Over "Occultic Drawing" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by hawk05(m): 9:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
UrennaNkoli:
Discrimination they may say but indirectly, they are doing the student a good favour. How on earth is she being expected to cope. if it was only speech problem and her hearing was okay, it would have been much more better.
Madam, negodu ife gi nekwu.. Go to Unijos, UI, Unical and Unilorin to see yourself how many hearing and/or speech impaired are coping there including me. Lack of info is more dangerous than Zika virus.

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by sonya4all(m): 9:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
Jane has the right to be educated just like any other person...i have said it before and would repeat again that Deaf persons can do anything except hearing..... come 19th Feb. myself and other sign language interpreters would be in Port Harcourt to render sign language interpretation service to Jane as well as other deaf friends who would be with her in the court room......this marginalization has to stop now.the university was supposed to hire interpreters for her hearing impaired students just like universities of ILORIN,JOS,UI,CALABAR and IBADAN....

2 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by loomer: 9:33pm On Feb 04, 2016
Small time them go say white na racists, and our own authorities dey even discriminate

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by jairusben(m): 5:25am On Feb 05, 2016
MrAboki:
Which kind yeye case be this one na? angry

As much as I understand and support her cause fully (as I feel the physically challenged in Nigeria are grossly under-considered in the grand scheme of things), but I feel sorry for RSUST who were not equipped from the onset to cater to such category of students.

If they did not expel her and allowed her stay, she could still have sued them for not providing an adequate learning environment suited to her handicap.

I cant wait for the person who would also sue the banks as well. I once saw the challenge a physically challenged man went through to gain access into one of these banks. It was dehumanizing to be honest. Only 'some' FirstBank branches have armoured doors that can accommodate a wheelchair.
mr english man,,the word onset is wrong,,,try to use offset,,thanks
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by omodelesunky(m): 7:11am On Feb 05, 2016
Our educational system should be more viable... We said education for all.. I have d same problem at Wesley University of Science and Technology Ondo (a private university) in d year 2012 by prof tola badejo led exco. I just wonder why people can't pratice wot dey preach...sadly, I read it in Nigeria tribune wen Nigeria was celebrating independence some years back, the same tola badejo said and I quote, '' education can't attain greater height until equal opportunity is given to all'' .. God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Acebrain28(m): 6:25pm On Feb 11, 2016
Good evening. Your effort is highly appreciated. You see most hearing people in nigeria ridicule we deaf/HOH. Please Can you kindly make the full list of universities/polytechnics in Nigeria that accept hearing impaired students? I believe this will be an helpful information for applicants like me who is impaired.

sonya4all:
Jane has the right to be educated just like any other person...i have said it before and would repeat again that Deaf persons can do anything except hearing..... come 19th Feb. myself and other sign language interpreters would be in Port Harcourt to render sign language interpretation service to Jane as well as other deaf friends who would be with her in the court room......this marginalization has to stop now.the university was supposed to hire interpreters for her hearing impaired students just like universities of ILORIN,JOS,UI,CALABAR and IBADAN....
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by sonya4all(m): 6:58pm On Feb 11, 2016
Acebrain28:
Good evening. Your effort is highly appreciated. You see most hearing people in nigeria ridicule we deaf/HOH. Please Can you kindly make the full list of universities/polytechnics in Nigeria that accept hearing impaired students? I believe this will be an helpful information for applicants like me who is impaired.

. you are welcome, deaf persons can apply to any school of their choice if truely the federal government is sincere in their inclusive education campaign.however those schools i wrote there have sign language interpreters to bridge the communication gap in the class...it is also important to note that deaf persons can excel in their academics even in situations whereby there are no interpreters as they can get hand outs from the lecturers or get their friends to take notes for them.i know many deaf who graduated from UNILAG etc as well as those still in universities and polytechnics and they are coping fine.its all about determination..we pray that jane gets justice so that all these discriminations would end..where are u based...you can send me a PM so we talk better.cheers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cross River Varsity Shutdown Over Killing Of Student / Latest News About 2011 / 2012 Admission For Abu Zaria Prospectus Only / Obafemi Awolowo University,ile-ife Cut-off Marks For 2013/2014 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.