Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey (3188 Views)

Martin Luther Agwai's Speech At Obasanjo's Birthday That Made Him Lose His Job / Jonathan’s Campaign Footage Compares Him To MLK Jnr, Mandela, Obama / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by PeeDaVinci: 12:06pm On Jul 02, 2009
although, i know there is no one-size-fits-all yardstick to compare these pple and each of them are great pple (in their own right), but on a fairly general scale, who would u say is the greatest black man that ever lived (or is still livin) among these lots
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 02, 2009
i'm not so sure.
OBJ shouldn't have made that list . . . . . .i'm 100% sure of that.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by ElRazur: 12:16pm On Jul 02, 2009
By your own admission there isn't a way to compare them as a bunch. On that basis alone, this thread is a "fail". And as rightly pointed out, obj is not even in the same league with these people.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by PeeDaVinci: 12:30pm On Jul 02, 2009
the OBJ on the list is a joke (just another way to ridicule him) but since it is shifting the focus of the thread, i am removing it

1 Like

Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Kx: 12:39pm On Jul 02, 2009
Mandela,Obama,MJ,Martin Luther King, etc.

Mubutu Seseseko, Sani Abacha,Omar Bongo,Arab Moi,Robert Mugabe Olusegun Obasanjo etc

U dont put vinegar among sweets/candies.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by ezeagu(m): 1:50pm On Jul 02, 2009
Oprah does not care for West Africans or West Africans in the diaspora (African Americans), plus she's not man. . . . . I think. . . . .
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by tpiah: 1:53pm On Jul 02, 2009
does Oprah have to care about Nigerians west Africans?

Why?
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by panafrican(m): 11:31pm On Jul 02, 2009
In the USA, an african immigrant has a better chance to be hired by a white guy than by an african american. This is the sad reality.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by kosovo(m): 12:48am On Jul 03, 2009
i have never seen people who like controversies more than anything.

humanity in this part of the world must be so pathetic
  let the rants continue,
  what a waste!
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 12:50am On Jul 03, 2009
tpiah:

does Oprah have to care about Nigerians west Africans?

Why?

Uh, she is a west African whether she likes it or not, so self hate doesn't include you in the list of 'greats'.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by tpiah: 12:57am On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

Uh, she is a west African whether she likes it or not, so self hate doesn't include you in the list of 'greats'.

@ bolded

and you know this how?

is it by force to be a west African?

Was she born in west Africa or how did you arrive at your conclusion?

Instead of jumping on top of her[b] because she's rich and powerful[/b], why not go and claim other "west Africans" in the projects who also dont know they're "west African".
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by SamMilla1(m): 1:04am On Jul 03, 2009
Oprah is not even supposed to be on that list.
She is just a lucky rich woman.

Obama, Mandela, Luther King , are all heroes ,

Mj is a legend.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 1:08am On Jul 03, 2009
tpiah:

@ bolded

and you know this how?

is it by force to be a west African?

Was she born in west Africa or how did you arrive at your conclusion?

Instead of jumping on top of her[b] because she's rich and powerful[/b], why not go and claim other "west Africans" in the projects who also dont know they're "west African".

She did a DNA test and was claiming zulu, the Zulu king denied her and her DNA blatantly pointed her ancestry to Guinea Bissau, West Africa. She didn't even visit this country, yet she could build a million dollar school in south Africa. What has she done for her black Americans (who she should have been helping first before traveling thousands of miles to a country that she has no link with)?
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 1:09am On Jul 03, 2009
Sam Milla:

Oprah is not even supposed to be on that list.
She is just a lucky rich woman.

That, I don't agree with. Oprah worked bloody hard for her dollars!
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by tpiah: 1:21am On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

She did a DNA test and was claiming zulu, the Zulu king denied her and her DNA blatantly pointed her ancestry to Guinea Bissau, West Africa. She didn't even visit this country, yet she could build a million dollar school in south Africa. What has she done for her black Americans (who she should have been helping first before traveling thousands of miles to a country that she has no link with)?

once again, what's with the hullabaloo? Its her money and she can build a school in Madagascar if she so desires.

Since when did she become the savior of west Africa and how many of them even watch her program?

and since when did DNA become the determining factor for who you are? Is she looking for her baby daddy?

I dont see any reason why she cant claim Zulu if she wants to. Even oyibo can claim any African tribe they like if they feel so inclined.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by SamMilla1(m): 1:22am On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

That, I don't agree with. Oprah worked bloody hard for her dollars!

exactly, other personels were not popular because of their money, u get it,
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by LamidiObi: 1:23am On Jul 03, 2009
do you know michael jackson dna is idoma.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 1:31am On Jul 03, 2009
tpiah:

once again, what's with the hullabaloo? Its her money and she can build a school in Madagascar if she so desires.

Since when did she become the savior of west Africa and how many of them even watch her program?

and since when did DNA become the determining factor for who you are? Is she looking for her baby daddy?

I dont see any reason why she cant claim Zulu if she wants to. Even oyibo can claim any African tribe they like if they feel so inclined.

Please, did you see me begging Oprah? A West African was praising her as some kind of world ambassador, I'm just telling a West African that she doesn't car too much for you so in turn you shouldn't big her up, where did I say she should use her money this way or that way?
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by tpiah: 2:00am On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

Please, did you see me begging Oprah? A West African was praising her as some kind of world ambassador, I'm just telling a West African that she doesn't car too much for you so in turn you shouldn't big her up, where did I say she should use her money this way or that way?

Ezeágu:

is south Africa not in Africa again? Who told you she has no links there?

and if Nigerians can migrate to south Africa then why cant Oprah? I doubt south Africans consider west Africans more "family" than AAs. Most of them could care less- foreigner is foreigner.

besides, AA missionaries have been active in central Africa long before Nigeria was formed.

http://www.howard.edu/library/Reference/bob_edgar_site/maintext.html

[img]http://www.howard.edu/library/Reference/bob_edgar_site/art/img_herbertpayne_2.jpg[/img]

Herbert Payne, (an AA Baptist missionary, was stationed at Middledrift in the eastern Cape from 1917 to 1922.

[img]http://www.howard.edu/library/Reference/bob_edgar_site/art/img_yankeewood_2.jpg[/img]

Yankee Wood, a former ship steward, settled in South Africa after the American Civil War. He participated in the gold rush on the Witwatersrand in the 1880s and owned hotels in Johannesburg and Kokstad.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 2:22am On Jul 03, 2009
Oprah does not care for West Africans, I'm not the first and will not be the last to say it. There's a difference between arguing and bickering.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by SeanT21(f): 2:43am On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

Oprah does not care for West Africans, I'm not the first and will not be the last to say it. There's a difference between arguing and bickering.

What does it have to do with the topic?? na by force to care for West Africans.She is still worshipped all across america and is an aspiring figure in the black comunities. wink
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 1:36pm On Jul 03, 2009
SeanT21:

What does it have to do with the topic?? na by force to care for West Africans.She is still worshipped all across america and is an aspiring figure in the black comunities. wink

You guys can't read or what?

Ezeágu:

Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by tpiah: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2009
If you want Oprah to like you, then you should like yourselves first.

If you want Oprah to care for you, then care for yourselves first.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 4:23pm On Jul 03, 2009
tpiah:

If you want Oprah to like you, then you should like yourselves first.

If you want Oprah to care for you, then care for yourselves first.

Yeah, a country with one of the highest rates of crime cares for themselves (SA)? Lets just address it as it is, Oprah finds Southern Africa as a place with a more noble and 'civilised' heritage.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by walakolobo: 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2009
How can the children of slaves be the greatest amongst free men?
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 4:29pm On Jul 03, 2009
walakolobo:

How can the children of slaves be the greatest amongst free men?

Well their ancestors went through the middle passage so their stronger than everybody else. wink
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by walakolobo: 4:34pm On Jul 03, 2009
Ezeágu:

Well their ancestors went through the middle passage so their stronger than everybody else. wink

Hmmmm - so you are saying an African American is better off in life than a full fledge African?
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Ezeagu2: 4:46pm On Jul 03, 2009
walakolobo:

Hmmmm - so you are saying an African American is better off in life than a full fledge African?

Umm, yeah.  cheesy If your talking about the Africans living in Africa, the African Americans are much richer.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Beaf: 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2009
tpiah:

is south Africa not in Africa again? Who told you she has no links there?

and if Nigerians can migrate to south Africa then why cant Oprah? I doubt south Africans consider west Africans more "family" than AAs. Most of them could care less- foreigner is foreigner.

besides, AA missionaries have been active in central Africa long before Nigeria was formed.

http://www.howard.edu/library/Reference/bob_edgar_site/maintext.html

Herbert Payne, (an AA Baptist missionary, was stationed at Middledrift in the eastern Cape from 1917 to 1922.

Yankee Wood, a former ship steward, settled in South Africa after the American Civil War. He participated in the gold rush on the Witwatersrand in the 1880s and owned hotels in Johannesburg and Kokstad.

What is this argument trying to prove? That Oprah is great? If so why point out these missionaries? How do they show that Oprah is great?
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by muhsin(m): 4:20pm On Jul 04, 2009
Great minds. I hope black world are gonna have more of such.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by Beaf: 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2009
Nelson Mandela is the greatest black man that has ever lived.
He fought peacefully when he needed to and built homemade bombs when occassion demanded, but always with deep conviction. He was always ready to die for his beliefs and displayed the highest morals in leadership. His oratory and passion are second to none.

Michael Jackson and Oprah Winfrey just do not belong on that list. They are great entertainers, not great black people.

Marthin Luther King is a great black man, but he did not go through the half of what Mandela had to go through. He did not drive for his beliefs with as much passion and personal involement as Mandela. That said, he is a great black man.
Re: Mandela, Obama, Michael Jackson, Marthin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey by tpiah: 4:40pm On Jul 04, 2009
Beaf:

What is this argument trying to prove? That Oprah is great? If so why point out these missionaries? How do they show that Oprah is great?

I believe I was having a discussion with Ezeagu who is trying to force his mindset on Oprah?

maybe you should reread the thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Will Swear In Nyesom Wike? / $30 Billion Left And They Borrowed To Pay Salaries. / Heavy Fighting In Kogi State Forest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.