Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him (939 Views)

Did El-Rufai And His Deputy, Bantex Slap Each Other? Here Is The Story / Buhari Welcomes French Ambassador And His Deputy In Abuja...photos / Aliyu Orders His Deputy To Leave Executive Meeting For Calling Him A Thief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him by desgiezd(m): 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
Impeachment:Bauchi deputy gov begs, ‘Please fast, pray for me’
From GEOFFREY ANYANWU, Awka
Thursday, July 2, 2009
Governor Isa Yuguda
Photo: The Sun Publishing
More Stories on This Section

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo became the first in Nigeria’s recent political history to make attempt to impeach his deputy or coerce him into resigning his position following the defection of former Vice President Abubakar Atiku from the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP to the Action Congress, AC.

And the thinking in the Obasanjo camp then was that since they both came in on a joint ticket, it would be “immoral” for the Vice President to remain in office.  Even though the National Assembly was PDP-dominated, the move to impeach Atiku did not succeed, as a few lawmakers recruited to carry out the threat, dropped the idea mid-way.

In the end, the battle shifted to the courts, and Atiku was seen flooring his boss on all fronts. But the rest, as they say is now history.
In Bauchi State, however, it was not the deputy who abandoned the platform that brought them into office in 2007, rather it is the governor who has jumped ship. And because the deputy has refused to follow him to his “new,” party, Governor Isa Yuguda believes that his deputy must give way.

As at the time of filing this report, the process of impeaching the deputy governor is in progress, following the constitution of a seven-man panel to investigate the allegations leveled against the second-in-command, by the Bauchi State House of Assembly.

But even as the process is on, pressures are being brought on the embattled deputy governor, to resign “honourably,” rather than allow the House to impeach him.
However, the deputy governor, Mohammed Garba Gadi, who told Daily Sun that he had no regrets serving in Yuguda’s administration, said that it would be most dishonourable for him to resign his position, even as he denied the rumour making the round that he had resigned his position owing to pressure.
Gadi came on board with Yuguda after upstaging former governor Adamu Mu’azu in an election, many in the State described as a ‘revolution’ owing to the committed stance of the electorate to protect their mandate against rigging.

Speaking with Daily Sun recently, Gadi tries to betray no emotion as he labours to pooh-pooh the news of his alleged resignation.

Daily Sun gathered that already, 25 out of the 31 members in the House have appended their signatures on the impeachment move.
Hear Gadi “I was on my way to Abuja last week when I was told about the impeachment notice. I heard a committee has been set up to investigate me.
“I have been bombarded with telephone calls, prayers from concern citizens. I thank them. I assure them that I am for the people.

“Rumours are going round that money will be spent to impeach me. If such public money is with me, I won’t use it for such a cause.
“I call on all people who believe in fairness and justice, those who believe we need fair play to fast and pray for me that whosoever contributes to my suffering without my cause, may Allah crush him within such a time,” Gadi, who hails from Katagum zone, a zone that has for long being clamouring for the governorship seat in the State, said.

As Gadi waits on divine intervention in his current travails, his supporters have appealed to the members of the House against making their son a scapegoat in a complex political game unfolding in the state.
Most people who are sympathetic to Gadi believe that the deputy governor was “being unjustly punished for refusing to go with his defecting boss,” who last week received the PDP flag and automatically becomes the leader of the party in the State.

Gadi who rose to the position of a Permanent Secretary in the state civil service stood his ground and vowed that he would remain in the ANPP on whose platform the two of them were elected two years ago.
Throughout the encounter with the embattled deputy governor, he appeared unruffled with occasional flash of a smile, but close watchers of unfolding events in the State believe that he may not survive the battle.
The embattled deputy governor is accused of collecting estacode twice from the State Pilgrim Welfare board and the Office of the Deputy Governor.

Another sum of N2 million was alleged to have disappeared from office when he was the Commissioner for Lands and Survey, even as he was equally accused of gross misconduct by the House.
The panel investigating these charges is headed by Mr Abdul Babayo, former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice of old Bauchi State.

Gadi has maintained his innocence and wants the panel to try him openly saying, “I believe I would not be found wanting. I served and rose to the position of Permanent Secretary and I have never been indicted. I am yet to have contact with the panel, but it must be a public one,” he insists.
Asked if he has ever discussed the issue of his refusal to join the PDP with his boss, Gadi, who holds the traditional title of Danburam Katagum says, “I have never discussed that with him. Some people called me and asked me to resign and get N100 million benefits, that if I am impeached I will lose that and even re-election.

“It is never my dream to get money if it is not proper. I am not an ambitions person. Don’t forget, I wanted to go to the Senate, before I was prevailed upon to run with Yuguda.”
On the defection of the Speaker, Hon Babayo Gamawa and 17 other members of the House, Gadi says, “I believe in the right of every individual to defect. But those that were called at the rally were 18 but only nine came out. So, where are the others?
“To me, the position of those legislator who defected would be evaluated vis-a vis the constitution at the appropriate time.”

Speaking on the impeachment move, one of his loyal supporters, AdbulWahab Gambo popularly called Babi Maimasara recalls that Yuguda has never wanted Gadi to be his deputy and was looking for any excuse to remove him.

“I told the deputy governor a year ago that Yuguda wants to replace him. That he preferred the former deputy governor to Muazu, AbdulMalik Mahmood.
“Yuguda has always felt that he made a mistake by having Gadi as his deputy,” Gambo added.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/july/02/national-02-07-2009-16.htm
Re: Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him by desgiezd(m): 2:19pm On Jul 02, 2009
This is most unfair. Our politicians behave as if they have no heart. Why must the deputy follow his boss to defect to another party. This is so unfair considering the fact that the guy wanted to go to senate before he was persuaded to run as deputy governor.

Oh my gosh, can I ever join politics in this country?
Re: Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On Jul 02, 2009
desgiezd:

This is most unfair. Our politicians behave as if they have no heart. Why must the deputy follow his boss to defect to another party. This is so unfair considering the fact that the guy wanted to go to senate before he was persuaded to run as deputy governor.

Oh my gosh, can I ever join politics in this country?

Yes, you can ever join politics in Nija, cos we need sane people to change things
Re: Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him by desgiezd(m): 2:32pm On Jul 02, 2009
This thing is paining me as if the injustice is visited on me.

Na wah oo
Re: Bauchi Gov Plotting His Deputy's Removal For Refusing To Move To PDP With Him by desgiezd(m): 9:38am On Jul 08, 2009
Bauchi dep gov’s house for demolition

Ishola Michael, Bauchi - 08.07.2009

THE political problems being faced by the deputy governor of Bauchi State, Alhaji Mohammed Garba Gadi, have been compounded as speculations are rife that part of his personal house, close to the State Hotel complex on the Ahmadu Bello Way, Old GRA in Bauchi metropolis, may be demolished by the state building authorities.

A source close to the deputy governor disclosed that a notice had been served on the embattled deputy governor by the building authorities informing him that the structure would have to give way as the portion on which it was built was not part of the land allocated to him as contained in the allocation papers given to him.

The source, however, linked the development to the ongoing political power tussle in the state, wondering how the government that allocated the place to him in the first place could now turn around to say otherwise and even threatened to demolish it.

At the State Urban Development Board from where the notice was said to have emerged, the General Manager declined comments, saying that he was not even aware of the issue while a staff member of the board directed Nigerian Tribune reporter to the Ministry of Land and Survey. At the Ministry of Land and Survey, Nigerian Tribune was told that no commissioner had been appointed for the ministry since the deputy governor left and so could not speak on the matter.

All efforts to get the deputy governor’s comment on the development proved abortive as he was said to be out of the office on all the occasions Nigerian Tribune called at his office while calls put through to his Director of Press, Mohammed Sani Mohammed, were not answered.

The seven-man panel set up by the Bauchi State House of Assembly to investigate the impeachable offences leveled against the state deputy governor, Mohammed Garba Gadi, has commenced its public sitting in one of the halls of the Assembly complex with an assurance that all the parties involved in the matter will be given a fair hearing just as the defence team led by Abubakar Malami (SAN) has opposed the constitution of the membership of the panel.

At Tuesday’s inaugural sitting of the panel, headed by Abdul Babayo Malle, the defence counsel argued that the panel was not properly constituted.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/08072009/news/news6.html

Dont worry, Alhaji Mohammed Garba Gadi, let them do their worst but one thing I am sure of is that once you are standing for truth, you shall have the last laugh and you shall be vindicated and all your traducers led by Isa Yuguda shall reap the fruits of the evil seed they are planting against you now.

(1) (Reply)

Latest On ASUU Strike / Nigeria, Wealthy, Yet Poor / Hope Rises For Women, Children In Amuwo-odofin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.