Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act (4519 Views)

Video Of Amaechi Defending The 2016 Budget Of The Ministry Of Transport / APC Presidential Primaries: Analysis On The Voting Pattern Of 8,000 Delegates. / Nigerians, Senate Draw Battle Line Over Diaspora Voting Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 5:26am On Jul 03, 2009

As director of litigation for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF), Debo Adegbile oversees the areas of criminal and economic justice, education and political participation. He argued the case before the Supreme Court against a constitutional challenge to the Voting Rights Act (VRA) and coordinated national campaign strategy and made appearances to educate the public about VRA issues. Adegbile received a J.D. from NYU's law school and was formerly an associate at a multinational law firm.

Please watch: http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200907/20090702.html#
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 5:26am On Jul 03, 2009

Debo P. Adegbile
Associate Director of Litigation, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.
Former Paul, Weiss Associate
New York University School of Law, 1994

Source
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 5:29am On Jul 03, 2009

Debo Adegbile, the NAACP lawyer, was ecstatic at the U.S. Supreme Court's decision that left the historic Voting Rights Act in place. So was U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.

"The case," Adegbile said, "was filed to tear the heart out of the preclearance provision of the Voting Rights Act and that effort failed today." And Holder predicted that the decision "ensured that this law will continue to protect free and fair access to the voting booth."

Might be wise to hold the champagne, guys.

The court, by an 8-1 vote, decided the case on the narrowest possible grounds. On the $64 question -- the continued relevance and constitutionality of the 45-year-old act -- the court ducked, but with ominous-sounding language for its future.

The immediate issue was the law's Section 5, which requires 16 states, mostly in the South, and some local jurisdictions with a history of discrimination, to seek federal approval for any change in voting procedures. The court held that a small utility district in Texas could opt out of the advance approval requirement -- but let the section and the law itself stand.

It was not what many of the act supporters feared and expected, which probably explains their over-the-top elation.

When the case was argued in April, the questioning from the bench suggested the court's conservative majority might be preparing to euthanize the law as an artifact from an earlier era of pervasive racial discrimination in voting. To the act's opponents, that certainly seemed the case now that African-Americans hold elective office around the country and one is president.

But the court's decision may be merely a temporary reprieve, pending the next challenge to the act or some provision. While praising the gains achieved under the law, Chief Justice John Roberts, Jr., who wrote the majority decision, observed that "past progress alone, however, is not adequate justification to retain the preclearance requirement. . . . The Act's preclearance requirements . . . raise serious constitutional questions."

The jury -- in this case the Supreme Court -- is still out on the larger constitutional issue.

Source
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by ElRazur: 5:33am On Jul 03, 2009
Richy can you take a look at the two thread I posted but keeps getting deleted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8130334.stm
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 5:34am On Jul 03, 2009
ElRazur:

Richy can you take a look at the two thread I posted but keeps getting deleted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8130334.stm

What's the title of the thread?
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by ElRazur: 5:36am On Jul 03, 2009
Why do we make ourself a laughing stock.

I think it was removed because it contained the word N.I.G AH ZED.

Just made two and it got removed.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 03, 2009
Dude said make u tell am the title of the thread. na story story you carry come
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 5:45am On Jul 03, 2009
ElRazur:

Why do we make ourself a laughing stock.

I think it was removed because it contained the word N.I.G AH ZED.

Just made two and it got removed.

It's probably triggering an automatic deletion routine. I'm not deleting them though.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by 4Play(m): 5:46am On Jul 03, 2009
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-291133.0.html

I did one earlier, can't be because of the term,Nigaz.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by ElRazur: 5:47am On Jul 03, 2009
RichyBlacK:

It's probably triggering an automatic deletion routine. I'm not deleting them though.

Yeah cool. I suspect so. I just made another one without the story quoted. smiley

FL Gators:

Dude said make u tell am the title of the thread. na story story you carry come

Do you have eyes?

PS
You should be in romance.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 5:50am On Jul 03, 2009
4 Play:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-291133.0.html

I did one earlier, can't be because of the term,Nigaz.

I already pointed ElRazur to yours (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-291133.0.html) on the other thread he opened.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by Nobody: 5:50am On Jul 03, 2009
ElRazur:

Do you have eyes?

PS
You should be in romance.
rotflmao grin grin sorry o. Do you have nose?

I'll come and join you in romance. dnt worry grin
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by 4Play(m): 5:52am On Jul 03, 2009
Wetin teeny bopper dey find here? Are we discussing shoes here?
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by ElRazur: 5:58am On Jul 03, 2009
4 Play:

Wetin teeny bopper dey find here? Are we discussing shoes here?

Abi o. Make Betty Boop go away.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by Nobody: 6:02am On Jul 03, 2009
ElRazur:

Abi o. Make Betty Boop go away.
Ouch, that hurts na.

@4play
No, we're discussing how small your package is lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 6:05am On Jul 03, 2009
Who is defending voting rights in Nigeria?
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by RichyBlacK(m): 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2009
Oh, I forgot, elections don't matter in Nigeria.
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by asha80(m): 10:33pm On Jul 03, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Oh, I forgot, elections don't matter in Nigeria.

Na now u know?
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Jul 03, 2009
I am guessing this thread exists because you admire this man. But what good is that? Why are you not out there fighting for the voting rights of nigerians? Why does it have to be SOMEONE else doing that and not you?
Re: Debo Adegbile: A Legal Giant In The Making - Defending the Voting Rights Act by tunku(m): 4:00am On Jul 04, 2009
Are you sure that he is of Nigerian descent? Lots of people adopt African names without actually being from that ethnic group.

(1) (Reply)

Who Says Eko Oni Baje? / I Will Commit Suicide If Jonathan Is Re-elected!!! / Terrorists ‘ll Attack Europe In 2016, Obama Last US President – Blind Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.